HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

More Canadian draft picks?

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 08:46 AM
Pangu

vCash: 500
More Canadian draft picks?

The Sun is compaining about too many europeans and too few canadian picks. Do others here feel the same? I feel that it is better that we draft the europeans. Lets face it, the 4th to seventh rounders that have panned out have not been Canadians. Now, if it turns out that the scouts underestimated this year's russian crop then the Sens are going to get some firepower in the near future.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:46 AM
discostu

I agree. I think it's a case that the writers need to complain. THe fact is, the Senators have one of the strongest draft records since their inception. I think the scouts should have earned our trust by now. I would love to see more Canadian players drafted into our system, and make their way on to our roster, but, I know in reality, so few players from the late rounds make it, I much rather trust the scouts opinions on who is going to make the big show.

I remember the year that Hossa was drafted, and the year that Havlat was drafted, people were complaining that the last thing we needed was more European forwards.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:17 AM
Clutch Mediocrity

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
I agree. I think it's a case that the writers need to complain. THe fact is, the Senators have one of the strongest draft records since their inception. I think the scouts should have earned our trust by now. I would love to see more Canadian players drafted into our system, and make their way on to our roster, but, I know in reality, so few players from the late rounds make it, I much rather trust the scouts opinions on who is going to make the big show.

I remember the year that Hossa was drafted, and the year that Havlat was drafted, people were complaining that the last thing we needed was more European forwards.
Agreed. And we have been getting tougher with our higher picks in the higher rounds now. Eaves, Meszaros, Lee, Lyamin, and Bass can all play phsyical and still bring it skill-wise.

But in the later rounds what are the odds these guys pan out? And if they do, they're usually later bloomers and will take longer to reach the roster than an earlier draft pick. Who knows what you're team needs will be then. Maybe you need a sniper? With our European track record, why not keep going to the well until it's dry. If we don't want them on the roster we still have some great assets to trade.

In short, players in the first rounds would preferably be able to play the phsysical game (and the scouts seem to be thinking the same under some convincing from Muckler) but after that let's just go with the the scouts opinion. They've earned a bit trust,haven't they.

Closed Thread