HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NYR Draft: Follow the pattern

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 01:15 AM
Sunshine

vCash: 500
NYR Draft: Follow the pattern

first off, Maloney's praise for Sauer "we would have moved down in the 1st round to get him" is just ridiculous...OK-wanted to get that off my chest...

Cliche is this years' Darin Olver

Flatt is a defensive version of Dane Byers

Tom Pyatt is Billy Ryan/Ken Roche

PS: Shall we do an updated prospects list with our new guys in Ranger Blue?...I see Staal ranked 4th or 5th overall next to Jessiman.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:22 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
first off, Maloney's praise for Sauer "we would have moved down in the 1st round to get him" is just ridiculous...OK-wanted to get that off my chest...

Cliche is this years' Darin Olver

Flatt is a defensive version of Dane Byers

Tom Pyatt is Billy Ryan/Ken Roche

PS: Shall we do an updated prospects list with our new guys in Ranger Blue?...I see Staal ranked 4th or 5th overall next to Jessiman.
Maybe we could vote where to our top 2 picks from this draft into the poll (instead of doing the whole thing over so soon). But I really have the feeling its going to very mixed on where people think they should go since its so soon.

Id Put Staal in around 5 - 7. Sauer i'd put in at around 9-11. Dont want to rate them too high yet...I think everyone will have a much better opinion on where they should get a year from now in our little prospect rankings.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:11 AM
NYRangers

I'm not even going to try to put Sauer anywhere. It would be arrogant of me since I've never heard of the kid before (tohugh I like the reports). I'll try the top 10 off the top of my head fast and honest.

1. Lundqvist
2. Tyutin
3. Montoya
4. Immonen
5. Jessiman
6. Staal
7. Korpikoski
8. Dawes
9. Kondratiev
10. Prucha

I think Kondratiev is more of a sure thing to be at least a regular than most of the guys on here. Probably more than everyone not named Fedor. Putting Dawes ahead of him is due to Dawes' upside and the fact that the NHL could open up a decent amount. I'm not a Balej fan. Never have been even when he played well last season with NY. I still think he is a nice/quality spec but I see his upside limited even though he has a ton of talent. I'm a huge Prucha fan though I am not sure if/when he will come over. And I still like Jessiman very much. Immonen just has the resume.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:14 AM
NYRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine
You would have said the same thing if they told you Tyutin was ranked 7th on their list of whatever it wa when they took him in the second round in 2000 or whenever it was.

Old
07-31-2005, 08:17 AM
DarthSather99

I really like this Sauer kid. Coming into the year he was highly ranked as the #2 American D man behind Johnson. He was rated higher than Lee by McKeens early in the year. His injury hurt his draft status but I like his size and he's got some offense. I also love the fact that he's American. I liked the days that Americans, Richter and Leetch were leading us to the Stanley Cup. Next year we'll take Kessel or Mueller.

Like I said before, I like the first 2 picks after that who knows what we got.

Old
07-31-2005, 09:16 AM
Sather Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
I also love the fact that he's American. I liked the days that Americans, Richter and Leetch were leading us to the Stanley Cup. Next year we'll take Kessel or Mueller.

Like I said before, I like the first 2 picks after that who knows what we got.
I agree completely, that's why I would have loved to have gotten Hensick, etc rather than Flatt.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:02 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers
I'm not even going to try to put Sauer anywhere. It would be arrogant of me since I've never heard of the kid before (tohugh I like the reports). I'll try the top 10 off the top of my head fast and honest.

1. Lundqvist
2. Tyutin
3. Montoya
4. Immonen
5. Jessiman
6. Staal
7. Korpikoski
8. Dawes
9. Kondratiev
10. Prucha

I think Kondratiev is more of a sure thing to be at least a regular than most of the guys on here. Probably more than everyone not named Fedor. Putting Dawes ahead of him is due to Dawes' upside and the fact that the NHL could open up a decent amount. I'm not a Balej fan. Never have been even when he played well last season with NY. I still think he is a nice/quality spec but I see his upside limited even though he has a ton of talent. I'm a huge Prucha fan though I am not sure if/when he will come over. And I still like Jessiman very much. Immonen just has the resume.
Tyutin, Kondratiev, and Lundqvist are the only sure things for this year; in my opinion.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:23 AM
natureboy*

Is anyone else concerned about the over hyping of these prospects. I think we have a number of 4th to 6th defenseman and 3rd and 4th line centers. Please someone tell me I'm being too negative, but I just don't see how we have a bright future. For all our picks and poor play we should have some great young kids (Atlanta, Colombus and Pitts do.)

Old
07-31-2005, 10:26 AM
phishman3579

Send a message via ICQ to phishman3579 Send a message via AIM to phishman3579 Send a message via Yahoo to phishman3579
Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy
Is anyone else concerned about the over hyping of these prospects. I think we have a number of 4th to 6th defenseman and 3rd and 4th line centers. Please someone tell me I'm being too negative, but I just don't see how we have a bright future. For all our picks and poor play we should have some great young kids (Atlanta, Colombus and Pitts do.)
No, I think you are just about right. I don't see anything great in out forward prospects. The defense will have at most 2 players that can crack the defensive corp. The goaltending is where we are the best set; I can see two of out three prospect turning into solid NHL goaltenders.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:26 AM
Fletch

natureboy...

the Rangers have question marks and projects. Of course that's not to say they've drafted guys with character who likely have a better chance of turning around the question marks and making themselves worthwhile projects. The next year will be very telling in regards to many. It hopefully will be an exciting year.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:03 AM
Potted Plant

Send a message via AIM to Potted Plant
I agree Fletch. I think we have a lot of players who COULD be something, including some who COULD be something pretty special. There are no sure-fire future stars, but when you think about it, very few teams have players like that. I would like it if we were one of those teams, but we're probably the team with the strongest prospect base WITHOUT one or more of those types. We just have to hope some of them come around and reach their potentials.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:27 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I'm not sure what then pattern is. If I had to guess:

1) Draft character over skill. Maybe the powers that be feel that its easier to get the elite offensive player through trades and FA than it is to get character.

2) They are building from the net out and increasing depth in each area.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:41 AM
GraveyTrain09

Im sorry i have to get this off my chest

we could have gotten BOTH bertram and hensick. Hensick is like 2 years away, and bertrams speed is amazing. I dont understand how we dont pick these guys when we had the chance.

Old
07-31-2005, 11:58 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
I'm not sure what then pattern is. If I had to guess:

1) Draft character over skill. Maybe the powers that be feel that its easier to get the elite offensive player through trades and FA than it is to get character.

2) They are building from the net out and increasing depth in each area.
2) i was thinking about that this morning after a poster suggested the same thing but i dont think thats the case because the rangers last year drafted heavy on forwards.. dont really see a real focus on any position, just individual player

1) i agree, its obvious they have even said so much that they are looking for character guys

Old
07-31-2005, 12:10 PM
dumpsathernow*

It think when you go from drafting character kids with talent at the right spot in the draft to drafting character kids with talent that doesn't justify where you took them it's alarming.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:12 PM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraveyTrain09
Im sorry i have to get this off my chest

we could have gotten BOTH bertram and hensick. Hensick is like 2 years away, and bertrams speed is amazing. I dont understand how we dont pick these guys when we had the chance.
Then people would be bringing up the old complaints from when Neil Smith ran the Rangers, that we never drafted size. Listen, Betram and Hensick are by no means any kind of slam dunks. We had Bertram at #50 on the Young Guns guide and he went #54. We had Hensick at #80 and he went #88. I personally don't think the Rangers missed out on either because they've got major flaws.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyrangerfan
It think when you go from drafting character kids with talent at the right spot in the draft to drafting character kids with talent that doesn't justify where you took them it's alarming.
Of course, that's a matter of personal opinion. It's a personal matter where they are "justified" to be picked.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:17 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by natureboy

On the bright side alot of good fairly younger talent than we're used to signing will be available starting next summer because of cap issues. Rangers can benefit greatly, especially with the cleared cap room. Not that we'll go wild on free agents, but we'll add a few first liners that will round out the core of what the Ranger brass seem to be building.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:53 PM
NYRangers

Colombus, Pitts. etc have SUPERSTAR prospects, the franchise player ones. The 80+ point forwards, the next Pronger's on defense. They have the superstars. Just because we don't have one like that (other than Lundqvist) doesn't mean our guys can't be terrific players.

Closed Thread