HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Respect

Old
12-25-2013, 08:55 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeBlondeDemon10 View Post
Lindros seems to be the poster boy for keeping his head down and making himself vulnerable to big hits. My question is then is it just him or were there other players from that generation that had this habit? Was Lindros tested in the junior ranks, and as a result, formed bad habits? I could see why he might not have been tested because of his size.
Excellent to Superstar XXL (Tim Horton for eg) or XXXL sized players like Lindros who have gotten away with playing through amateur, Junior, sometimes the minors or more often directly into the NHL with the bad habit of skating with their heads down though very rare not uncommon. Horton was a big, powerful, faster than a speeding freight train rushing defenceman with excellent stickhandling skills but beyond lousy eyesight. He'd gotten away with it as most everyone either couldnt catch him and if they did or got in front of him, like Lindros he'd just run right over them or right through them. Bill Gadsby steps into him with a perfectly clean check not unlike the very same circumstances that Stevens devastated Lindros with. Both Gadsby & Stevens amongst the All Time Greatest Checkers. Horton was out cold before he hit the ice with a badly broken leg & jaw, Gadsby didnt feel a thing. Horton was never the same player again yet was still a multiple All Star & Stanley Cup winner going on to play another 15+years.

Big guys with speed to burn & talent to match given room but once they hit the NHL & facing equals in a Stevens or Gadsby, game over if your crossing Center or the Blue Line on a rush. I wouldnt say todays players on the whole are any more prone or inclined to skate with their heads down, but as the games faster, the players bigger, stronger & far better conditioned than in the past checks/hits result in far greater impact, potentially devastating for sure. Even the clean ones and with ballistic body armor on, goodnight. Keeping your head up & being aware is one of the first things a player learns. To some degree one can understand how Horton & Lindros got away with it for so long but if as is being inferred its somehow endemic with todays players, Im not seeing that & would disagree. Whats happening on the ice has everything to do with recklessness much more than guys skating with the puck with their heads down. Were watching blindside flying elbows delivered at Warp 9, hits from behind, late hits & so on. Heads are up alright, but if you dont have the puck, released it 2-3 seconds ago or are looking the other way without the puck altogether & some guy does a Drive-Bye with his elbow to your jaw not much you can do about it. Rise of no respect. Way beyond hitting a guy clean with a check who's fool enough to carry the puck with his head down.

Last edited by Killion: 12-25-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 10:43 PM
LeBlondeDemon10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
but if as is being inferred its somehow endemic with todays players, Im not seeing that & would disagree. Whats happening on the ice has everything to do with recklessness much more than guys skating with the puck with their heads down. Were watching blindside flying elbows delivered at Warp 9, hits from behind, late hits & so on. Heads are up alright, but if you dont have the puck, released it 2-3 seconds ago or are looking the other way without the puck altogether & some guy does a Drive-Bye with his elbow to your jaw not much you can do about it. Rise of no respect. Way beyond hitting a guy clean with a check who's fool enough to carry the puck with his head down.
Thanks K. I don't think Big P was inferring it was an epidemic for a certain generation, but I wasn't sure myself as I did not watch much junior hockey back then as it just wasn't as available as it is now. Kariya, who was in the same generation as Lindros, also was nailed by Stevens in the 2003 SCF, but I thought this was a dirty check as opposed to the one Lindros was on the receiving end of. Kariya had shot or passed the puck and Stevens came from his blind side and hit him 1-2 seconds after he had released the puck. Knocked him out. No need for crap like that, but Stevens was able to get away with those checks during that era. As C58 has said, that's not checking a guy to take him out of the play or tie him up, but a deliberate attempt to prey on his vulnerability and hurt him. If Stevens had done that 10-15 or 20 years earlier, he would have had to pay the price for a check like that.

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote