HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Virtual Playoff Race (standings since Nov 15th)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2014, 08:31 AM
  #1
Bob Mooseknuckle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 27
vCash: 500
Virtual Playoff Race (standings since Nov 15th)

Since the Oilers started the season a dreadful 4-15-2, which ended on November 15th here are the NHL standings since that date.

November 15, 2013 to March 8, 2014

EASTERN
1. Pittsburgh 64 points in 45 games
2. Boston 62
3. Philadelphia 57
4. Columbus 56
5. Montreal 55
6. NY Rangers 54
7. Toronto 53
8. New Jersey 52
9. Detroit 47
10. Washington 47
11. Ottawa 47
12. Tampa Bay 46
13. Carolina 43
14. Florida 40
15. NY Islanders 40
16. Buffalo 35

WESTERN
1. St. Louis 65 points
2. Anaheim 61
3. Colorado 59
4. San Jose 58
5. Chicago 58
6. Los Angeles 51
7. Dallas 50
8. Minnesota 48
9. Winnipeg 45
10. Nashville 44
11. Vancouver 43
12. Edmonton 42 points in 43 games (25th overall)
13. Calgary 42
14. Phoenix 40

This would put us 6 points behind Minnesota for the last Wild Card spot. This kind of stuff gets me through the season.

Bob Mooseknuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 08:55 AM
  #2
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings
 
Psycho Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherwood Park
Posts: 10,674
vCash: 610
And 2 points away from our current 29th place standing.
Without any playoff run pressure or injuries to blame.
At least Vancouver's demise can make me smile.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 10:55 AM
  #3
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
so, we'd be sitting in 24th. one would have to think, with at least quasi-meaningful games, the effort level would be higher... maybe. Ergo, they could be even 4-6 points higher than that. I really think, with the season essentially over by Remembrance Day, that having nothing to play for has had an effect on these guys.

Dubnyk really hooped them, this year. more than half the blame falls on him. that's is the only thing that will make next year even a tiny bit hopeful. I still don't think they make the 'jump' that Colorado had for at least 2 seasons.

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 01:24 PM
  #4
Draekke
Registered User
 
Draekke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
15 teams within 10 points of each other. Dat parity.

Of course, cherry picking this kind of info makes us look good, but there's probably a few teams who could benefit from making one of these schedules and be able to day dream like us about where they would be.... lol

Draekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 01:33 PM
  #5
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
so, we'd be sitting in 24th. one would have to think, with at least quasi-meaningful games, the effort level would be higher... maybe. Ergo, they could be even 4-6 points higher than that. I really think, with the season essentially over by Remembrance Day, that having nothing to play for has had an effect on these guys.

Dubnyk really hooped them, this year. more than half the blame falls on him. that's is the only thing that will make next year even a tiny bit hopeful. I still don't think they make the 'jump' that Colorado had for at least 2 seasons.
What pisses me off is that Philidelphia was in close to the same place at the same time. What did they do they picked up there socks and started winning games. Our boys just folded up and gave up on the season. It's quite sad actually.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 01:57 PM
  #6
bucks_oil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,986
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
What pisses me off is that Philidelphia was in close to the same place at the same time. What did they do they picked up there socks and started winning games. Our boys just folded up and gave up on the season. It's quite sad actually.
Exactly. Complete lack of team pride. Many of our guys haven't learned 'individual' pride from 'team' pride. Hint: 1g, 1a, -3 and 1 loss is a night where you 'did my part, _____ let us down' for the guys with 'individual' pride. Individual pride allows you to quit (partially) on your teammates and deflect accountability

I'm not surprised at it given their ages and the circumstances... it's one of the ways of coping with team failure (and save your ego) but when people talk about 'learning how to win', this is one of the elements.

Blaming the goalie is an easy cop-out. And maybe Scrivezina and Fasth may help them regain confidence in their teammates so they regain the ability to learn how to play as a team ('cuz I think, given state of mind, that's the only way their going to "get it")... but it will only be a mask for the underlying problem.

bucks_oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:28 PM
  #7
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mooseknuckle View Post
Since the Oilers started the season a dreadful 4-15-2, which ended on November 15th here are the NHL standings since that date.

12. Edmonton 42 points in 43 games (25th overall)
11 of those games went extra time and were in fact 3pt games. So one could look at is as the Oilers obtaining 42pts in games involving 95 accrued pts. Which is still pretty bad.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:31 PM
  #8
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
What pisses me off is that Philidelphia was in close to the same place at the same time. What did they do they picked up there socks and started winning games. Our boys just folded up and gave up on the season. It's quite sad actually.
Philly plays in the east. Jebus Ottawa even does reasonably well in the East. Its an absolute garbage conference and half your games are against pretty bad teams.

Philly hasn't exactly been a model for consistent play either in recent seasons. Pretty much a collection of floaters that play when they feel like it. About the last club I'd want to be a fan of in anycase.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:36 PM
  #9
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Philly plays in the east. Jebus Ottawa even does reasonably well in the East. Its an absolute garbage conference and half your games are against pretty bad teams.

Philly hasn't exactly been a model for consistent play either in recent seasons. Pretty much a collection of floaters that play when they feel like it. About the last club I'd want to be a fan of in anycase.
Still doesn't change the fact they've collected the 3rd most amount of points in the east since Nov 15. And the only problem with Philly is that they let Matt Carle go and kept Pronger. Carle made such a difference in the transition game it's not surprising they bombed after not resigning him.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:38 PM
  #10
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,165
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Philly plays in the east. Jebus Ottawa even does reasonably well in the East. Its an absolute garbage conference and half your games are against pretty bad teams.

Philly hasn't exactly been a model for consistent play either in recent seasons. Pretty much a collection of floaters that play when they feel like it. About the last club I'd want to be a fan of in anycase.
Not that I necessarily disagree because the East is a gongshow (even we have a winning record against it), but there's something to be said for playing with pride and playing hard. Something we're not seeing here.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:39 PM
  #11
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
What pisses me off is that Philidelphia was in close to the same place at the same time. What did they do they picked up there socks and started winning games. Our boys just folded up and gave up on the season. It's quite sad actually.
well, that's true. but Philly is a helluva lot better team then the Oil. I still think that until management starts proving, with action, that the present is important and not some obscure, fanciful future, the effort will not improve. Mact, throw these guys a friggin' bone, ffs!!

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:43 PM
  #12
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,377
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Not that I necessarily disagree because the East is a gongshow (even we have a winning record against it), but there's something to be said for playing with pride and playing hard. Something we're not seeing here.
again, it's easy for us to say 'play with pride'. but, there has to a negative psychological effect from watching your manager tank every season. and, make no, mistake, Mact threw in the towel at around game 20 and started thinking about a top 5 pick.

Up the Irons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:45 PM
  #13
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 13,165
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up the Irons View Post
again, it's easy for us to say 'play with pride'. but, there has to a negative psychological effect from watching your manager tank every season. and, make no, mistake, Mact threw in the towel at around game 20 and started thinking about a top 5 pick.
But what if that's what the players think? "Oh, management will solve our problems, so who cares if we suck"?

At some point the players have to take it upon themselves. Yes the team isn't very good but they've shown in flashes they can hang with the best (Hawks, Penguins).

The Flames are much worse than we are talent-wise but they make up for it by playing hard. Same with the Sabres. A hard playing team will always beat a skilled team. (See: Boston vs. Pittsburgh last year)

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:47 PM
  #14
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 37,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Still doesn't change the fact they've collected the 3rd most amount of points in the east since Nov 15. And the only problem with Philly is that they let Matt Carle go and kept Pronger. Carle made such a difference in the transition game it's not surprising they bombed after not resigning him.
Isn't it at all odd to you that a team that was playing like absolute crap to start the year has such a different record since? If I'm a Flyers fan I know the club is hot and cold and could fall apart at anytime. For instance anytime it has to face a real opponent. Which seldom happens in the East.

SJ recently spanked the Flyers something awful. Sharks scored 5 goals in one period. It was Sharks vs Oilers bad and really almost identical. Flyers are a mirage based on playing mostly ****** opponents.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:49 PM
  #15
topchowda
Registered User
 
topchowda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,421
vCash: 500
Maybe wed even be buyers at the deadline and acquire Mezaros or Vanek for a late season push.

Either way this season is done, so no use speculating coulda, woulda, shouldas.

The only thing we can take away is the goaltending, injuries and inconsistent play sunk this ship from the start

topchowda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 02:52 PM
  #16
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Isn't it at all odd to you that a team that was playing like absolute crap to start the year has such a different record since? If I'm a Flyers fan I know the club is hot and cold and could fall apart at anytime. For instance anytime it has to face a real opponent.
Well there record seems to show them doing fine now, and for a significant part of the season. We'll see how the last part of the season goes but I think the Flyers are going to be alright going into the playoffs. As of right now I'd take a team I'd have to worry about falling apart over the Oilers who you know will fall apart.

And the part about SJ whooping them is laughable, I seem to remember us schlacking Chicago not to long ago 8-1 or something like that. I guess they were a crap club too...

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2014, 10:16 PM
  #17
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,426
vCash: 500
25th vs 29th... not even quite up to where they finished last season (24th).

To me it looks closer to consistency of suck than anything else.

They've been crap vs the West... and average vs the East. Too bad they aren't the Indianapolis Oilers.. they'd have a decent shot at a playoff spot. Instead it's looking like years of doom ahead in the West.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 10:24 AM
  #18
robbiezyg
Registered User
 
robbiezyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,551
vCash: 500
dam, was hoping we would be a lot higher.. this season has been terrible!

robbiezyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 12:27 PM
  #19
DeathbyCheerios
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,251
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucks_oil View Post
Exactly. Complete lack of team pride. Many of our guys haven't learned 'individual' pride from 'team' pride. Hint: 1g, 1a, -3 and 1 loss is a night where you 'did my part, _____ let us down' for the guys with 'individual' pride. Individual pride allows you to quit (partially) on your teammates and deflect accountability

I'm not surprised at it given their ages and the circumstances... it's one of the ways of coping with team failure (and save your ego) but when people talk about 'learning how to win', this is one of the elements.

Blaming the goalie is an easy cop-out. And maybe Scrivezina and Fasth may help them regain confidence in their teammates so they regain the ability to learn how to play as a team ('cuz I think, given state of mind, that's the only way their going to "get it")... but it will only be a mask for the underlying problem.
Blaming the goalie is an easy Cop out but it crushed their confidence coming into the season. It's hard to win games when you are scoring 3-4 a game but your goalies are letting in horrible goals which make those 3-4 goals not enough to win.

With better goal tending to start we would be having a much better season with more confidence, probably not in the playoffs but probably one of the teams just looking out

DeathbyCheerios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 01:22 PM
  #20
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,881
vCash: 694
what about the playoff push numbers since we aquired scrivy?

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 01:23 PM
  #21
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,881
vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
what about the playoff push numbers since we aquired scrivy?
or since we dumped dubnyk

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 01:31 PM
  #22
djdub
#6cups
 
djdub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 678
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
or since we dumped dubnyk
Since we dumped Dudnyk, we are 8-6-3

And we actually acquired Scrivens the same day.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 01:44 PM
  #23
Ovechking
Registered User
 
Ovechking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,892
vCash: 500
Smaller sample size always equals more league parity. There's a reason they play 82 games and not 40.

Ovechking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 02:07 PM
  #24
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,881
vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechking View Post
Smaller sample size always equals more league parity. There's a reason they play 82 games and not 40.
true but our team has drastically changed since we got rid of drubnyk and replaced him with scrivens.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2014, 02:23 PM
  #25
missinthejets
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 3,293
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
Blaming the goalie is an easy Cop out but it crushed their confidence coming into the season. It's hard to win games when you are scoring 3-4 a game but your goalies are letting in horrible goals which make those 3-4 goals not enough to win.

With better goal tending to start we would be having a much better season with more confidence, probably not in the playoffs but probably one of the teams just looking out
It was very obvious to see the impact it had. They got into a place where they were all playing scared because they thought every mistake would end up in their own net. There were lots of games early where the offense was performing quite well but they were giving up so many goals. How different things would be if they hadn't had their confidence shattered like that we will never know but it definitely had a very big impact on the season.

missinthejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.