HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers Goaltending

Old
03-05-2014, 10:41 PM
BWK Fan 97

vCash: 500
Oilers Goaltending

I really like what the oilers have done with the goalies. It's far better than at the start of the season plus we get then for a couple of years at reasonable contracts. This is the one area of the team MacT has really improved.

BWK Fan 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:51 PM
Rawg
CEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWK Fan 97 View Post
I really like what the oilers have done with the goalies. It's far better than at the start of the season plus we get then for a couple of years at reasonable contracts. This is the one area of the team MacT has really improved.
I do like the change but I dont think they will wow anyone, our best hope is a 1A 1B, and our worst fear is dubnyk/barb #2, depends on how the team plays

Rawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:52 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWK Fan 97 View Post
He's improved our goaltending and bottom six. Still needs to get 1 or 2 checking wingers to play with Gordon, more size in top six and 2 top pairing D....

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:00 PM
Paralyzer008

It's a tough situation for MacT and the fans.

In August, based on statistics, I certainly didn't think that we'd be spending our whole season trying to improve the goaltending.

Dubnyk and LaBarbera came into the season as pretty solid goaltenders with the stats to back them up. Whether it was Eakins D systems being terrible, or our terrible D, or just them being brutal, it was a problem that MacT couldn't have really foreseen. Yes you'll get fans who say "Ohhh I knew Dubnyk sucked the whole time" and what not, but the guy was arguably our 2nd best player last season, and was coming off of his third straight season with goaltending that was over the league average.

It didn't work, so MacT had to do work. Smid moved out, and that enraged most of the fan base, and the hope is Brossoit later down the road helps us forget. Bryzgalov actually played well here, but I wasn't buying that 1) It would keep up and 2) He'd bring a winning attitude in the dressing room. He's too loose IMO, I can't take him seriously.

Scrivens, from what I've seen, looks absolutely solid. It's like having Roloson again. Fasth was solid last year, and the injuries this year is something he can rebound from. Scrivens is smart, and Fasth is serious about winning, so I'm excited about the future for these two.

The situation boils down to this:
Dubnyk, Smid, Bryzgalov, 3rd, 5th, Roy ------- Scrivens, Fasth, Brossoit, Horak, 4th

My problem now is, after an entire season of chasing goalies, we still need at least 2 top four D, a new No.2 C, 2/3 of a third line, and we need to get it without having much value to deal outside of our big 4. It's going to be tough.

Also, although it can be addressed after the above, I think the 4th line will need to be faster, Gazdic and Hendricks aren't long term IMO.

Paralyzer008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:12 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
If our goaltending is any indication of what we can expect out of MacT, I'm not too worried about him building the team. He faltered a bit at the start, but our goaltending actually looks good now

03-05-2014, 11:16 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

We're in a better place now then we were at the beginning of the season. We still need a couple more good goalie prospects, whether we sign them out of college or Europe.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:33 PM
LTIR

vCash: 300
we have no proven starter so we are in similar boat as we were at the start of the season.

On paper our goaltending looks good enough to roll with for a couple yrs. Hopefully one of these 2 solidifies himself as a legit #1 NHL goalie

LTIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

They might both fail. Hopefully Fasth stays healthy and they really push each for the #1 job.

I'm more confident with this duo than Dubnyk and Lolbarbera.

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 11:43 PM
Tyrolean

Fasth is 31 or so. I was hoping for a guy about 25 or 26.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:20 AM
Zaddy Zads
Lil Nuge

I like it a lot. We have a solid duo for now and we don't really have to worry about goaltending for the immediate future, which is nice. Of course it wouldn't hurt getting a real good G prospect in the system but I'd rather spend time chasing after a top4 D and a PWF / #2C now.

Zaddy Zads is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 01:43 AM
Arpeggio

I really like how Scrivens has played so far. He's made at least one ten-bell save every game he's played so far as an Oiler, and usually more.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 02:33 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
I really like how Scrivens has played so far. He's made at least one ten-bell save every game he's played so far as an Oiler, and usually more.
Agreed he looks like he could turn into legit starter, he has elite reflexes.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 04:18 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawg View Post
I do like the change but I dont think they will wow anyone, our best hope is a 1A 1B, and our worst fear is dubnyk/barb #2, depends on how the team plays
They don't have to wow us, they just have to be steady.

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 05:40 AM
Blue And Orange
Kevin Lowe Must GO!!

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with what Mac-T has done to overhaul our goaltending situation.

I was a Dubnyk supporter but man did he **** the bed this year. One of the worst season for any goalies to go through. Labera was a joke of a signing.

Ben Scrivens is a potential starter and Fasth can be a reliable backup.

I just hope Mac-T focuses his attention on rebuilding our blueline. Having a horrid blueline would compromise any of the goalie acquisition Mac-T makes.

Mac-T has one off-season to impress me, or he's gotta go.

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 07:43 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Here we are some still worried about goaltending, then there is Vancouver that is completely sure that the guy with 25 games under his belt is a legit starter and they are completely fine. Really shows you how bad it's gotten here that we can't even be happy about things that are looking good.

DeathbyCheerios is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 08:00 AM
DousedInOil

Anyone who is complaining that we didn't acquire a true number one goaltender would be the same jerks that would complain that we overpaid for a true number one.

Despite seeing so many goaltenders moved, only Miller is considered a number one. Acquiring a UFA goaltender isn't what rebuilding teams do. We also look better financially with this setup as we aren't over paying a guy at 7+M a season.

If Berra got a 2nd, I don't want to know what it would have cost us.

As far as these guys being other teams "scraps", their was no way Scrivens was taking the job away. The same could be said with Hiller in Anaheim. They also have the best goaltending prospect in the game.

Just sick of hearing people on the radio and around the city bashing the deal. We gave up two 3rds and a fifth for two guys with tremendous upside.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 08:14 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Anyone who is complaining that we didn't acquire a true number one goaltender would be the same jerks that would complain that we overpaid for a true number one.

Despite seeing so many goaltenders moved, only Miller is considered a number one. Acquiring a UFA goaltender isn't what rebuilding teams do. We also look better financially with this setup as we aren't over paying a guy at 7+M a season.

If Berra got a 2nd, I don't want to know what it would have cost us.

As far as these guys being other teams "scraps", their was no way Scrivens was taking the job away. The same could be said with Hiller in Anaheim. They also have the best goaltending prospect in the game.

Just sick of hearing people on the radio and around the city bashing the deal. We gave up two 3rds and a fifth for two guys with tremendous upside.
We got two guys from teams who were playing on teams with phenomenal goaltending and they knew they had to move someone. They didn't move them cause they were bad, they were moved because they were good but they had no room for them. Roloson believes Fasth would be a number one and Scrivens has shown he could be to. Look at what Vancouver had, look at Calgary and they don't seem to be worried about their goaltending

Old
03-06-2014, 08:28 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyCheerios View Post
We got two guys from teams who were playing on teams with phenomenal goaltending and they knew they had to move someone. They didn't move them cause they were bad, they were moved because they were good but they had no room for them. Roloson believes Fasth would be a number one and Scrivens has shown he could be to. Look at what Vancouver had, look at Calgary and they don't seem to be worried about their goaltending
Hey man, I totally agree. I wanted both guys before we even dealt for them. I think the fans I was talking to don't actually follow the market.

I love what MacT did.

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 08:48 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob Fail View Post
Agreed he looks like he could turn into legit starter, he has elite reflexes.
the thing with scrivens is he is a very smart guy, as he gets older i am confident he will put in work on the things that are weaknesses and will keep improving.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 09:15 AM
DeathbyCheerios

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Hey man, I totally agree. I wanted both guys before we even dealt for them. I think the fans I was talking to don't actually follow the market.

I love what MacT did.
People just freak out for little reasons.
I was just adding to what you were saying.
We have two guys who yeah sure, haven't played many games I guess. But Scrivens has always looked great Fasth looked great in the SEL, is in his goaltending prime, has put up killer numbers and we essentially traded a UFA Hemsky that we would of Let walk for him. MacT made something amazing happen and I'm excited to see the results of it

Old
03-06-2014, 10:13 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

The thing about Goaltending is that in most cases its one of the easiest positions to fill. Its simply a numbers game. There are 60 jobs and more than enough competent goalies to fill those 60 jobs. A few examples...

Anaheim until recently had 4 NHL quality goalies.
St Louis has Jake Allen in the minors right now.
The Kings had Quick Jones and Scrivens until Scrivens came here.

The problem is waiting for those goalies to force the hands of teams having to move them to other places to fill vacancies elsewhere in the league. Such as goalies becoming UFA (like Halak with STL) or a goalie controversy forcing a GM to cash in one of their hot goalies for players needed (think Schneider in VAN or Halak again after the playoff run with the Habs).That's what i think can be frustrating for fans waiting for one of these assets to come free and having the pieces to acquire them.

Try and acquire a big 6'4 center or a #1 d-man. Pretty much impossible.

Fixed to Ruin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:15 AM
MessierII

Honestly personnel wise I like what macT has done. The only issue I have with him is his decision to fire a rookie coach to hire another rookie coach that just made no sense this deep into a rebuild.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Gregsky99

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5255 View Post
I like it a lot. We have a solid duo for now and we don't really have to worry about goaltending for the immediate future, which is nice. Of course it wouldn't hurt getting a real good G prospect in the system but I'd rather spend time chasing after a top4 D and a PWF / #2C now.
I thought that's why we got brossoit in the smid deal? from what he's been showing in the ECHL and AHL, that's our goalie prospect. He's only 20 as well so there's lots of time, thanks to MacT, to improve in the next few years.

Gregsky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:19 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsky99 View Post
I thought that's why we got brossoit in the smid deal? from what he's been showing in the ECHL and AHL, that's our goalie prospect. He's only 20 as well so there's lots of time, thanks to MacT, to improve in the next few years.
Banking your future on one prospect is not the way to go.

MessierII is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Pennertration

I'm pretty happy with the goaltending situation. Doesn't mean it will work out but there are two guys who look promising and a capable backup in Bachman. The biggest thing for me is our goaltenders don't have long term on their contracts, so if things go south, it shouldn't be too hard to retool quickly, something MacT should be praised for doing in the crease this season.

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote