HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-02-2014, 04:01 PM
  #226
sVpph
Tron Funkin Blow
 
sVpph's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 406
vCash: 500
If MacT can get an early second rounder from the trade deadline, I'd be very interested in picking Thatcher Demko.

sVpph is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 04:40 PM
  #227
redgrant
Registered User
 
redgrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 985
vCash: 500
Theoretically if Buffalo gets the #1 overall and Oilers #2 overall what do the Oilers give up to get the #1?

I mean Buffalo is in dire need of offence and Edmonton in need of Defense. Would Buffalo take Reinhart and leave Ekblad for us or would we have to trade up to get him?

redgrant is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 05:12 PM
  #228
Lindo
Registered User
 
Lindo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,581
vCash: 500
I'm kinda worried about what they do if Ekblad goes #1 or if someone moves up and we end #3.

I'm pretty confident we have the #2 spot locked up, barring a winning streak from either Buffalo (unlikely) or us (also unlikely) there's a good cushion between the 1st pick and 3rd pick. With 25 games to go, 2nd last place seems to be the likely finishing place, leaving the (hopefully) latest we pick at 3rd spot.

It seems obvious the would take Ekblad if they have the chance, but with him gone I'm worried they trade the pick for lesser value because they don't see the forwards as valuable as Ekblad. It could just my paranoia, plus, MacT said they'll be likely making the pick will how high it is. I'm rooting for any of the centres after Ekblad, my preference goes - Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl.

I think Buffalo is loaded on defense with Myers, Ehrhoff, Zadorov, Ristolainen and other good prospects, but if the new GM feels Ekblad is the best player available I wouldn't be surprised. That leaves us with the centres, which is fine with me.

If we come out with Ekblad or one of the top centres, I'll be happy. Just don't move the pick and don't pick any wingers.

Lindo is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 05:30 PM
  #229
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I'm kinda worried about what they do if Ekblad goes #1 or if someone moves up and we end #3.

I'm pretty confident we have the #2 spot locked up, barring a winning streak from either Buffalo (unlikely) or us (also unlikely) there's a good cushion between the 1st pick and 3rd pick. With 25 games to go, 2nd last place seems to be the likely finishing place, leaving the (hopefully) latest we pick at 3rd spot.

It seems obvious the would take Ekblad if they have the chance, but with him gone I'm worried they trade the pick for lesser value because they don't see the forwards as valuable as Ekblad. It could just my paranoia, plus, MacT said they'll be likely making the pick will how high it is. I'm rooting for any of the centres after Ekblad, my preference goes - Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl.

I think Buffalo is loaded on defense with Myers, Ehrhoff, Zadorov, Ristolainen and other good prospects, but if the new GM feels Ekblad is the best player available I wouldn't be surprised. That leaves us with the centres, which is fine with me.

If we come out with Ekblad or one of the top centres, I'll be happy. Just don't move the pick and don't pick any wingers.
Buffalo needs a scoring/playmaking center bad. Grigorenko hasn't exactly shown he is that guy, and Cody Hodgson is a slight upgrade on Gagner. They MUST address that weakness in this draft or by trade.

Gone is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 06:15 PM
  #230
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,176
vCash: 500
Ok let's say it's true that Buffalo wants to take a forward over a dman (since they obviously have a stronger looking group of dmen prospects than forwards).

That still doesn't prevent them from taking Ekblad if he's the clear BPA in their opinion.

That then simply frees them up to trade defensive assets (Myers/Ehrhoff or a dman prospect) for a forward or 2.

I don't think having an abundance at one position eliminates a team from taking yet another great player at that position and then dealing assets away to fill holes.

I think Eblad will go #1 to whatever team picks #1. He's looking like the most unique player in this draft... potential future franchise dman.. those don't come along every draft.

Jones was potentially that in the last draft but that draft was also considerably stronger than this year's draft... plus the next best dman in this draft is far below Ekblad whereas there were several other very good dmen in Jone's draft year.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 06:51 PM
  #231
rockinghockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 6,448
vCash: 500
Reinhart is going to be a good centreman he is 6"1" 186 already that is decent size he will be Halls size

rockinghockey is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 06:59 PM
  #232
BlowbyBlow
Registered User
 
BlowbyBlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I'm kinda worried about what they do if Ekblad goes #1 or if someone moves up and we end #3.

I'm pretty confident we have the #2 spot locked up, barring a winning streak from either Buffalo (unlikely) or us (also unlikely) there's a good cushion between the 1st pick and 3rd pick. With 25 games to go, 2nd last place seems to be the likely finishing place, leaving the (hopefully) latest we pick at 3rd spot.

It seems obvious the would take Ekblad if they have the chance, but with him gone I'm worried they trade the pick for lesser value because they don't see the forwards as valuable as Ekblad. It could just my paranoia, plus, MacT said they'll be likely making the pick will how high it is. I'm rooting for any of the centres after Ekblad, my preference goes - Bennett, Reinhart, Draisaitl.

I think Buffalo is loaded on defense with Myers, Ehrhoff, Zadorov, Ristolainen and other good prospects, but if the new GM feels Ekblad is the best player available I wouldn't be surprised. That leaves us with the centres, which is fine with me.

If we come out with Ekblad or one of the top centres, I'll be happy. Just don't move the pick and don't pick any wingers.
I think people are so worried about Ekblad for no reason. Look at the best d-man in the game - Doughty/Pronger have been the highest #1 d-man picked in the draft (both #2) (not Erik Johnson I wouldn't consider him a #1)

I think the only way a team takes Ekblad is if you are Calgary and don't want to face him for years and years. Or you think that Ekblad is better than Reinhart (I don't even think you pick Ekblad for team needs if you still fill those two top needs)

BlowbyBlow is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 07:54 PM
  #233
jadeddog
Registered User
 
jadeddog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Regina, Saskatchewan
Posts: 11,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hall2Nuge2Ebs View Post
Draft Ekblad

Marincin/Petry
Ference/J.Schultz
Ekblad/Nurse

Hello McDavid
yup pretty much this

i don't see a way to fix our d-corps without trading one of the "big 4", so therefore i don't expect our defensive problems to be fixed by next season.... i don't expect them to be *improved* actually, let alone fixed.... it would only take a few things going wrong for us to finish in the lottery again next season (say hall getting injured for instance)

jadeddog is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 11:33 PM
  #234
Gone
Fire KLowe
 
Gone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Reinhart is going to be a good centreman he is 6"1" 186 already that is decent size he will be Halls size
And a pretty good consolation prize for a team like the Oilers, who are also weak down the middle.

Gone is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 11:36 PM
  #235
armandh01
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,119
vCash: 500
I'd love Reinhart. Guy is gonna be good and I will always love the idea of a 1A / 1B center duo.

armandh01 is offline  
Old
02-02-2014, 11:55 PM
  #236
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(
 
Mr Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: COLLEGE
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,715
vCash: 500
I have no problem with Reinhart or Bennet, honesty.

Mr Forever is offline  
Old
02-03-2014, 12:04 AM
  #237
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sVpph View Post
If MacT can get an early second rounder from the trade deadline, I'd be very interested in picking Thatcher Demko.
what makes you think though that after passing on guys in previous drafts like John Gibson and Tristan Jarry that they will all of a sudden start taking goalies early? and they haven't drafted one since 2011.

ManByng is offline  
Old
02-03-2014, 12:07 AM
  #238
ManByng
Moroz fan
 
ManByng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: St. Albert, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redgrant View Post
Theoretically if Buffalo gets the #1 overall and Oilers #2 overall what do the Oilers give up to get the #1?

I mean Buffalo is in dire need of offence and Edmonton in need of Defense. Would Buffalo take Reinhart and leave Ekblad for us or would we have to trade up to get him?
and that's the scary thing....if Ekblad is rated as the BPA at draft time, then the Sabres will pick him. if the Sabres want Reinhart or whoever, then they should trade down even one spot and get that extra player or pick.

ManByng is offline  
Old
02-03-2014, 09:45 AM
  #239
SoftDumps
Registered User
 
SoftDumps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Apparently you missed for the right deal. If we move RNH for a top pairing dman and a character center between 25-30 then it improves the team right now and allows us to compete until Reinhart or Bennett an take over that top line spot. Ditto if we trade RNH for Weber.
Dude, RNH is our best player aside from Hall going forward. We do not ever trade him unless it is for Shea Weber.

You are dreaming if you think he gets us a top-2 dman and a top-6 center, which is ironically the only thing it would be worth trading him for. Besides, that would leave us with an 18 year old center (drafted) and likely a 2nd line type center along with Gordon for depth. Terrible.

We have no experience on this squad, especially our top players, and you want us to get younger and have more potential. Not sure if serious...

SoftDumps is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:11 AM
  #240
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,961
vCash: 500
Leon Draisaitl with a hat-trick and 4 points and a +3 tonight

Sam Reinhart with 5 points (1G 4A) and a +4 tonight

CantHaveTkachev is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:17 AM
  #241
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 50
Don't care. Stop drafting forwards.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:20 AM
  #242
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Reinhart is going to be a good centreman he is 6"1" 186 already that is decent size he will be Halls size
He is NOT 6'1" I was with him and a few other for 15 min at the prospects game. I would guess he is closer to 5'10. Regardless though, he doesn't bring the right type of game that the Oilers need. He is so similiar to gagner and eberle and we can't win with too many of those players.

oiLowe is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:22 AM
  #243
oiLowe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgree
Country: Canada
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Don't care. Stop drafting forwards.
Agreed, we need Ekblad, plain and simple...

oiLowe is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:30 AM
  #244
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine
 
nexttothemoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Don't care. Stop drafting forwards.
I understand that sentiment... and my pick would be Ekblad as well... but the Oilers are 19th in Goals per game this season.

They are NOT an elite team offensively yet... that's a bit of a misnomer I think.

If the Oilers want to go trading players like Yak/Eberle/Gagner away for bigger/grittier players... I don't see a problem with keeping the prospect cupboard at least somewhat stocked with some decent forward talent.

Oilers essentially have ZIP in the pipeline for offensive talent... Horak... Lander... Pitlick?

I can almost guarantee this team will just barely get their defense patched up by trading some offense away and then we'll be turning around saying where has all the offense gone? Where'd the goalscorers go.

nexttothemoon is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:34 AM
  #245
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I understand that sentiment... and my pick would be Ekblad as well... but the Oilers are 19th in Goals per game this season.

They are NOT an elite team offensively yet... that's a bit of a misnomer I think.

If the Oilers want to go trading players like Yak/Eberle/Gagner away for bigger/grittier players... I don't see a problem with keeping the prospect cupboard at least somewhat stocked with some decent forward talent.

Oilers essentially have ZIP in the pipeline for offensive talent... Horak... Lander... Pitlick?

I can almost guarantee this team will just barely get their defense patched up by trading some offense away and then we'll be turning around saying where has all the offense gone? Where'd the goalscorers go.
The problem is if those players don't get you a top pairing defenseman then keep what you have. We're not getting a top pairing defenseman via the free agent market which leaves drafting.

The more offensive teams in the league have lots of offense that comes from the backend. Apart from Justin Schultz I wouldn't call any of our defensemen offensive (at least in terms of goal scoring).

There's a reason why the team was so good with Pronger or Visnovsky back there. Or at least better than what we're seeing. Even Whitney when he first came here made the team so much better.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:36 AM
  #246
raab
Where's the Hart?
 
raab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftDumps View Post
Dude, RNH is our best player aside from Hall going forward. We do not ever trade him unless it is for Shea Weber.

You are dreaming if you think he gets us a top-2 dman and a top-6 center, which is ironically the only thing it would be worth trading him for. Besides, that would leave us with an 18 year old center (drafted) and likely a 2nd line type center along with Gordon for depth. Terrible.

We have no experience on this squad, especially our top players, and you want us to get younger and have more potential. Not sure if serious...
We'd be keeping Gagner, and bringing in another center in the RNH deal. Gives Reinhart and Bennett some time to mature and makes us competitive while they do. And it'd be a top 4 dman with potential and a top 6 2 way center for RNH or a guy like Weber.

raab is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:36 AM
  #247
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Don't care. Stop drafting forwards.
And what if our saviour Ekblad is off the board?

CantHaveTkachev is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:37 AM
  #248
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
And what if our saviour Ekblad is off the board?
Trade the pick for immediate help. Drafting another RNH or Eberle doesn't help us in the slightest.

GreatKeith is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:41 AM
  #249
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!
 
CantHaveTkachev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. OILbert
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Trade the pick for immediate help. Drafting another RNH or Eberle doesn't help us in the slightest.
Immediate help? Like who? I'm sure MacT would love to trade for a top defenseman...problem is, they don't exactly shake loose often
Our center depth is atrocious BTW and Ekblad isn't making us contenders next year..defenseman take a lot longer

CantHaveTkachev is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 12:43 AM
  #250
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 12,176
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Immediate help? Like who? I'm sure MacT would love to trade for a top defenseman...problem is, they don't exactly shake loose often
Our center depth is atrocious BTW and Ekblad isn't making us contenders next year..defenseman take a lot longer
I don't know who. And yes our center depth is atrocious... But our D depth is absolutely killing us.

Another RNH doesn't make the defense better. Even if Ekblad takes a few years to develop that's better than throwing another forward to the wolves.

Where else are we going to be able to get a decent defenseman?

GreatKeith is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.