HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
02-05-2014, 12:47 AM
Njoy Oilers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Trade the pick for immediate help. Drafting another RNH or Eberle doesn't help us in the slightest.
What if: MacT works the phones right up to seconds before Oulers have to pick and Ekblad is gone? MacT has no choice but to pick one of the next 3. Now who do you pick?

I personally go with the big German.

Old
02-05-2014, 12:50 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
What if: MacT works the phones right up to seconds before Oulers have to pick and Ekblad is gone? MacT has no choice but to pick one of the next 3. Now who do you pick?

I personally go with the big German.
If you can't find someone who wants the pick for a decent d-man you shouldn't be a general manager.

I'm so tired of drafting forwards. We've done that every year up until last year and look what it got us.

Old
02-05-2014, 12:58 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
I don't know who. And yes our center depth is atrocious... But our D depth is absolutely killing us.

Another RNH doesn't make the defense better. Even if Ekblad takes a few years to develop that's better than throwing another forward to the wolves.

Where else are we going to be able to get a decent defenseman?
I'm not willing to give a top 3 pick for a Coburn or a Girardi (I know he is a UFA) it HAS to be a legit top pairing guy that's 27-30... Like a Subban or a Weber...if MacT can get that than I'm all for it

And I'm not sure where Reinhart, Draisaitl or Bennett are like RNH

Reinhart is more of a two way center that played great as a 17 year old at the WJHC
Bennett has the most ES points of draft eligible guys...also has a lot of PIMs so u know he's gritty and feisty
And Draisaitl is 6'2" playmaking center that use his big frame in the offensive zone to create space

Nothing like RNH

Old
02-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Mr Positive

vCash: 1048
Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Agreed, we need Ekblad, plain and simple...
We have a severe need for 1D, but also 2C.

Our prospect pool is loaded with D, and we have Justin Schultz who is also RHD and could be a legit top pairing guy some day.

We have no centers in our system with much top six potential. Where are we getting that 2C with size? Nowhere. Pinning our hopes on some UFA like Legwand is a recipe for failure.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Njoy Oilers

Quote:
If you can't find someone who wants the pick for a decent d-man you shouldn't be a general manager.

I'm so tired of drafting forwards. We've done that every year up until last year and look what it got us.
Oh, I agree about drafting fwds at this stage, but I wouldn't go as far as blaming MacT if, being a 29th/28th place team limits the value of Gags. I personally don't see him being traded period.

Others will be gone before Gagner.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:03 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
I'm not willing to give a top 3 pick for a Coburn or a Girardi (I know he is a UFA) it HAS to be a legit top pairing guy that's 27-30... Like a Subban or a Weber...if MacT can get that than I'm all for it

Reinhart is more of a two way center that played great as a 17 year old at the WJHC
Bennett has the most ES points of draft eligible guys...also has a lot of PIMs so u know he's gritty and feisty
And Draisaitl is 6'2" playmaking center that use his big frame in the offensive zone to create space

Nothing like RNH
And we should be completely confident that the Oilers won't **** these guys up like they did the previous forwards they drafted.

We're not going to get a top pairing defenseman any other way. The last team that won the Cup without a top defenseman was probably the Canes.

And besides, given how things are going, we'll probably be in contention for McDavid, so why take a forward in this draft if Ekblad is available?

Old
02-05-2014, 01:03 AM
Spawn

Quote:

The issue isn't that they have drafted forwards. It's that they have never done anything to bring in good hockey players outside of the draft.

I will say though I am a proponent of trading the pick. But the value has got to be there. If it isn't than you take whoever is left at 2/3/4 wherever the Oilers would draft (assuming not 1st).

Old
02-05-2014, 01:07 AM
Soundwave

If Ekblad or Reinhart are on the board, you take them, simple as that.

I'd offer Buffalo Sam Gagner + EDM 1st 2015 (top 5 protected) for Tyler Myers and sign Nikita Nikitin.

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Reinhart Yakupov
Joensuu Gordon Hendricks
Gazdic blank Pitlick

Ference Myers
Nikitin Petry
Marincin J. Schultz

Scrivens

To be honest that team is a lot more balanced in their future outlook -- you have some center depth between RNH and Reinhart (finally), you have terrific winger depth, and between Myers/Nurse/JSchultz/Marincin/Klefbom you have a decent core of younger d-men to work with.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:07 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
Oh, I agree about drafting fwds at this stage, but I wouldn't go as far as blaming MacT if, being a 29th/28th place team limits the value of Gags. I personally don't see him being traded period.

Others will be gone before Gagner.
I'm not going to blame MacT, he was put in a very crappy situation. That said, we need a defenseman more than anything else. Drafting another forward doesn't fill the biggest hole on this team. We can live without a 2C. We can't live without good defensemen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
The issue isn't that they have drafted forwards. It's that they have never done anything to bring in good hockey players outside of the draft.

I will say though I am a proponent of trading the pick. But the value has got to be there. If it isn't than you take whoever is left at 2/3/4 wherever the Oilers would draft (assuming not 1st).
Unfortunately we were tanking in years where the defensemen weren't of Doughty's calibre. We had no choice but to make the picks we did. And we brought good players in this year and we're even worse!

I just don't think drafting another forward helps this club in any way. Centers are easier to find than defensemen.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:08 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post

I'd offer Buffalo Sam Gagner + EDM 1st 2015 (top 5 protected) for Tyler Myers and sign Nikita Nikitin.

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Reinhart Yakupov
Joensuu Gordon Hendricks
Gazdic Lander Pitlick

Ference Myers
Nikitin Petry
Marincin J. Schultz

Scrivens

Lottery team again.

The Oilers desperately need a Wayne Simmonds in the top 6.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:14 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Lottery team again.

The Oilers desperately need a Wayne Simmonds in the top 6.
If that team is in the lottery, it's squarely the fault of the coaching.

The defense is considerably upgraded from the Krueger year, Yakupov should be developing, RNH should be heavier/stronger, a full year of Hendricks should be good.

There are a lot of teams that make due with a lot less than that.

I'd like to have a Wayne Simmonds too, be I don't think we have the assets to make it happen unless we are willing to give up on Yakupov already.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:34 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
If that team is in the lottery, it's squarely the fault of the coaching.

The defense is considerably upgraded from the Krueger year, Yakupov should be developing, RNH should be heavier/stronger, a full year of Hendricks should be good.

There are a lot of teams that make due with a lot less than that.

I'd like to have a Wayne Simmonds too, be I don't think we have the assets to make it happen unless we are willing to give up on Yakupov already.
I'd say it's about 50-50 at this stage that Yak isn't with this team when next season starts. Maybe even as high as 75%.

When you read the tea leaves... Yak and Eakins are like oil and water (no pun intended).

Yak has his issues and I don't know if the team is going to be as patient with him as they were with the rest of the good ole Canadian boys.

I could see him going as part of a package for a solid dman... or maybe that mythical big #2 centre we are always talking about.

Old
02-05-2014, 01:48 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'd say it's about 50-50 at this stage that Yak isn't with this team when next season starts. Maybe even as high as 75%.

When you read the tea leaves... Yak and Eakins are like oil and water (no pun intended).

Yak has his issues and I don't know if the team is going to be as patient with him as they were with the rest of the good ole Canadian boys.

I could see him going as part of a package for a solid dman... or maybe that mythical big #2 centre we are always talking about.
I really do hope that Yakupov ends up scoring 40 goals; so this management looks stupid.

Old
02-05-2014, 09:21 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
And we should be completely confident that the Oilers won't **** these guys up like they did the previous forwards they drafted.

We're not going to get a top pairing defenseman any other way. The last team that won the Cup without a top defenseman was probably the Canes.

And besides, given how things are going, we'll probably be in contention for McDavid, so why take a forward in this draft if Ekblad is available?
Ekblad is my first choice...but I'm more than willing to build our prospects at center and take a Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl...we are paper thin down the middle

Quote:

I'm not willing to give up my ticket to the McDavid sweepstakes for Myers...a guy who hasn't lived up to the potential or contract given to him

Old
02-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Quote:
Ekblad is my first choice...but I'm more than willing to build our prospects at center and take a Reinhart/Bennett/Draisaitl...we are paper thin down the middle

I'm not willing to give up my ticket to the McDavid sweepstakes for Myers...a guy who hasn't lived up to the potential or contract given to him
Hence the "top 5 protected"....

Old
02-05-2014, 10:12 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
derp...can't read

Old
02-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Slats432

Yep, I agree that Ekblad is the obvious choice. Buff has D depth, so they will likely take a F.

Old
02-05-2014, 11:08 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

Nothing like RNH
And thats the problem, if you had a young top pairing dman would you really trade them for an unproven pick? I know I wouldn't. Best case scenario we could get a Bogosian, Yandle, etc... level dman with the pick but even then I think were in tough. For me I think the best option is trading one of the current kids and taking Reinhart or Bennett if Ekblad is off the board.

Old
02-05-2014, 11:22 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

Hall RNH Eberle
Perron Reinhart Yakupov
Joensuu Gordon Hendricks
Gazdic blank Pitlick

Ference Myers
Nikitin Petry
Marincin J. Schultz

Scrivens
That top pairing :vomit emoticon:

Old
02-05-2014, 11:52 AM
iCanada

It's obvious to me, if Ekblad is there we take him. 100%.

My question is, are any of Driatasl, Reinhart, or Bennett the big physical top 6 center that fixes this whole team? If the answer is yes you take them. If no, then you trade them.

Does anybody have the answer to that question? Is Leon a physical kid? Does Bennett have the size to play rough and tumble in the nhl successfully?

Old
02-05-2014, 11:58 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post

My question is, are any of Driatasl, Reinhart, or Bennett the big physical top 6 center that fixes this whole team? If the answer is yes you take them. If no, then you trade them.

Does anybody have the answer to that question? Is Leon a physical kid? Does Bennett have the size to play rough and tumble in the nhl successfully?
Realistically very few 18/19 year olds just step into the league and bully other grown men in the NHL around.

Bennett, Reinhart, and Draistl all project to be more physical/bigger center types than RNH or Gagner, but it will also require a couple of years for them to probably get to that point. But all can contribute immediately most likely.

Old
02-06-2014, 07:54 AM
oilinblood

Quote:

Nothing like RNH
I like reinhart most. We are actually deep in the organization for dmen now and we can use one in a package for a legit dman. There arent alot of dmen in the league that i feel are worthy of a top pick...and gms in history back me up in this. No gm is going to trade a top pick for a guy who is never going to be an all star. Do you do it as part of obtaining chara, or lidstrom, pronger, weber, a game chwnger yes. These players at 1-3 are there because they are forcasted by the best, not some hfposting basemnet dweller, to be game changers and franchise players. you part with those assets at extreme return.

That being said... I bet our mcdavid 1st rounder will be worth alot. I think MacT should consider moving it. Its vaoue has got to be sky high right now considering our 5yeAr funk.

Old
02-06-2014, 08:07 AM
oilinblood

Quote:

I would be willing to trade the 15 1stRD for a decent dman. If i am macT that pick is definitely in play more than the current pick.

Centre is completely barren in our organization. Championships arent built on the wings,

Old
02-06-2014, 09:13 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCanada View Post

Bennett has the high motor/physical presence of those 3. Best skater of the bunch as well. While he is capable of playing next year, that is as much a reflection of our talent level as his. A good team would let him develop another year or two in junior. For the most part the necessary development is physical. He doesn't turn 18 until the end of June and could use some filling out if he's going to play his style in the NHL. It's not out of the question he could still grow, but 6' 1/4" is still decent height. 178lbs at the start of this year could be 195 in two years when he's ready. Again, that's if we give him the proper development path.

That said, we need Ekblad the most.

Old
02-06-2014, 09:14 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
So what happens if we finish in 6th and win the lottery?

Closed Thread