HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2014, 12:55 PM
Oil In My Veins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Don't we in theory already have a better lineup? That doesn't seem to matter as one team is playing hard and has a good coach while the other is going through the motions and has a moron for a coach.
No argument here...

Old
03-01-2014, 12:56 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Sam Bennett had a hat-trick and 4 points to go along with a +3 rating last night

are the top 3 (Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett) staring to pull away a bit?

Old
03-01-2014, 01:08 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Sam Bennett had a hat-trick and 4 points to go along with a +3 rating last night

I wouldn't say they are.

Lots of guys still right behind them, but most are wingers.

Old
03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post

If we could pull off a trade for a 2C I wouldn't mind drafting a guy like Ritchie or Virtanen if Ekblad is off the board.

03-01-2014, 01:20 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Losing Belov will be addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned, and it won't be hard to find a bottom pairing LHD who's better.

Arco can replace Gagner until the end of the year, and we'll probably get a 3rd liner (Clifford) back filling one of those holes anyway.

Hall - RNH - Yakupov
Perron - Arco - Eberle
Hendricks - Gordon - Clifford
Gazdic - Lander - Pitlick

Ference - Schultz
Marincin - Petry
Fraser - Fedun/Larsen

Scrivens/whoever

After the Sabres firesale I think we'll have a better lineup.
It is not the line up but how each team plays Buffalo plays with heart

Old
03-01-2014, 01:33 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
It is not the line up but how each team plays Buffalo plays with heart
Fair enough, but with the guys that they'll have left, it won't matter how much heart they have as they just won't have the skill to win games.

Old
03-01-2014, 01:42 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Fair enough, but with the guys that they'll have left, it won't matter how much heart they have as they just won't have the skill to win games.
Who else do you see getting moved from the Sabres?

Old
03-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Who else do you see getting moved from the Sabres?
Wel, it's been rumoured that Myers, Ehrhoff, Moulson, Halak and Stewart are all available. And I highly doubt that anyone is 'untouchable' if the right deal comes along.

Old
03-01-2014, 01:50 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Wel, it's been rumoured that Myers, Ehrhoff, Moulson, Halak and Stewart are all available. And I highly doubt that anyone is 'untouchable' if the right deal comes along.
Don't see Erhoff moving because of the cap recapture penalty on the deal, Myers if he gets moved should bring back something substantial. Moulson I see moving to LA for a pick and the other two I dunno what to think. Could see Buffalo signing Halak given what will be available on the UFA market and trading Stewart for something else. Could also see them just keeping Stewart.

Old
03-01-2014, 01:58 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Don't see Erhoff moving because of the cap recapture penalty on the deal, Myers if he gets moved should bring back something substantial. Moulson I see moving to LA for a pick and the other two I dunno what to think. Could see Buffalo signing Halak given what will be available on the UFA market and trading Stewart for something else. Could also see them just keeping Stewart.
Who knows what will happen, which is why I'm saying that we have no idea how much 'heart' the Sabres are going to have when they don't even know what they're lineup is going to be.

In a perfect world, both teams would start playing well without gaining any spots on the teams above them in the standings.

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a funny feeling a 'lower' seeded team at the draft will be winning the lottery to jump ahead of the teams that actually finished last bumping a bunch of teams down anyway.

Old
03-02-2014, 02:35 PM
rockinghockey

If we get one of Ekblad or Reinhart I will be happy. If both of them are gone trade the pick to improve the team. Bennet is just too small. I know he plays big but we still need some size in the top 6 and he does not give us that. Reinhart is only 186lbs but he will be about 205-210lbs as he doesn't do any weight training in the off season yet.

IF we draft Reinhart he will be ready for the NHL. If we draft him we have to move Gagner, and Eberle to improve the top 6 and defense.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:10 PM
Shizuka

I still see this shaking out to a choice of 3 -- Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart. Taking into consideration MacT's comments of wanting to find a 'driver', someone who pushes the play, quite honestly I want Bennett; however, you can't go wrong with the other two (though I'd have a bit of concern about how Ekblad will adjust to much stronger, quicker opponents who possess much higher hockey IQ and know their system play). Bennett seems slightly faster than Reinhart.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:18 PM
Panda Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizuka View Post
I still see this shaking out to a choice of 3 -- Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart. Taking into consideration MacT's comments of wanting to find a 'driver', someone who pushes the play, quite honestly I want Bennett; however, you can't go wrong with the other two (though I'd have a bit of concern about how Ekblad will adjust to much stronger, quicker opponents who possess much higher hockey IQ and know their system play). Bennett seems slightly faster than Reinhart.
To put forward an analogy, Reinhart is to Henrik Sedin as Bennett is to Kesler. We have our Sedin in RNH.

I'd take Bennett for lineup dynamics if Ekblad is gone.

Old
03-02-2014, 11:25 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

What about this Fleury guy?

Old
03-03-2014, 01:17 AM
40oz

A good read from Kyle Woodlief and Redline Report

Quote:
The top tier consists of three - maybe four - players, depending on how we feel on a given day. Aaron Ekblad, Leon Draisaitl and Sam Reinhart are in for certain, though their final draft order is still up for grabs. Depending on what day you ask us, Sam Bennett might join the group as well. It's so close, sometimes it just comes down to our last impression at our most recent viewing.
Interesting...

Old
03-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Kovacs

Ekblad's is the best scenario to me.

Would be quite happy with Bennett.

That Sedin/Reinhart/RNH & Kesler/Bennett comparison a few posts up is a good way to sum it up in my eyes.

Old
03-03-2014, 10:50 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
A good read from Kyle Woodlief and Redline Report

Interesting...
Woodlief is the only guy I think that has Draisaitl ranked that high. He's definitely somebody the Oilers should be looking at, but the negative on him is that he's not a "driver" that Mac T wants, he likes to slow the game down.

Then again, Getzlaf had a bunch of questions about his game as well....

Right now, I'd probably go

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisaitl
Bennett

then probably Ritchie or Virtanen.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:07 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Yeah, Redline is a great service and Woodlief knows his stuff, but they always have one guy rated either much higher or much lower than the consensus every year. I think the consensus usually ends up being closer to what the player turns out to be in the end, but the rest of their rankings are usually very good. I just ignore the one oddball pick they have every year. This year it seems to be Draisaitl.

03-03-2014, 11:18 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Yeah, Redline is a great service and Woodlief knows his stuff, but they always have one guy rated either much higher or much lower than the consensus every year. I think the consensus usually ends up being closer to what the player turns out to be in the end, but the rest of their rankings are usually very good. I just ignore the one oddball pick they have every year. This year it seems to be Draisaitl.
Sometimes they get that right: ISS had Schremp 5th, Redline 19th.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:32 AM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovacs View Post
Ekblad's is the best scenario to me.

Would be quite happy with Bennett.

That Sedin/Reinhart/RNH & Kesler/Bennett comparison a few posts up is a good way to sum it up in my eyes.
I can't speak for the Bennett/Kesler comparison since i haven't seen him play, but the Sedin/RNH/Reinhart comparisons are bunk and i'm not sure why they keep coming up.
Sedin and RNH have always been offense first players while Reinhart has generally been lauded for his 2 way play with a bit of a modest offensive ceiling.
Reinhart is more Bergeron/Toews than he is RNH/Sedin and would be a very nice compliment to RNH.

Any of Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennett would be great for the Oilers. I was intrigued by Draisaitl coming into the year because skilled big centers are always highly sought after, but if the reports of his lack of compete are indeed true, i hope that the Oilers stay far away from him.

Old
03-03-2014, 11:36 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
That's true, but to me, they're no more accurate than a coin toss predicting a random prospect to exceed or fall behind on his projection.

It's like they seemingly pick a guy at random (usually someone interesting) and either raise him or drop him dramatically. Their accuracy isn't great overall, but like you said, sometimes they get it right.

Old
03-03-2014, 12:19 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
That's true, but to me, they're no more accurate than a coin toss predicting a random prospect to exceed or fall behind on his projection.

It's like they seemingly pick a guy at random (usually someone interesting) and either raise him or drop him dramatically. Their accuracy isn't great overall, but like you said, sometimes they get it right.
Yup.
But I feel like most of the time now accuracy isn't what I look for when I look at rankings. I'd rather just find honest opinions on players. People hate on Button's lists for the same reasons too.

Old
03-03-2014, 04:06 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 872
Maybe it's just me, but is MacT spending a lot more time scouting than Tambo did? I like that the GM is scouting for the potential top 3 or 5 pick, but at the same time I'd prefer if he was scouting NHL teams right now and then spent after TDD scouting junior hockey.

Old
03-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
And still he went 25th. I don't think either of those sources are as worthy as Bob McKenzie's list because he actually poll's NHL scouts (exclusively). I don't doubt some of the people working for ISS/Redline are either good enough to work for an NHL team or may have done so in the past, but the guys Bob McKenzie consults are likely top dogs for their respective teams. It might not prove any more accurate in listing the next Datsyuk in the top 30 where everyone else has the player in the 7th round, but his list will be the truest reflection of what happens on draft day.

Old
03-03-2014, 04:26 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but is MacT spending a lot more time scouting than Tambo did? I like that the GM is scouting for the potential top 3 or 5 pick, but at the same time I'd prefer if he was scouting NHL teams right now and then spent after TDD scouting junior hockey.
I'm sure he's constantly working the phones. He's one of the few obvious sellers and he's been seen at NHL games the last couple of months. hasn't he?

I like the fact that he's watching potential draft picks in person. Listen to your team, but get your own first-hand experience as well.

Plus, he's probably looking at draft picks for most of the potential deadline moves anyway.

Closed Thread