HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2014, 02:47 PM
armandh01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
The Oilers seriously need to hire a full time nutritionist/trainer ... someone versed in bodybuilding and training athletes like in the NFL (so no fruit tray loving marathon runner ala Eakins) who provides meals for the kids.
Pretty sure pro bodybuilders are majority of the time their own nutritionist. They know what works for their body and are very knowledgeable on the matter. Also nutritionists / trainers are most likely on the staff, muscle isn't easy to acquire especially when you play a high level cardio sport like hockey. So really during the offseason is prime time muscle gaining period and 3 - 4 months isn't a huge window to gain a lot of weight.

This is assuming they don't use some gear during the summer.

Old
03-05-2014, 02:50 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Pretty sure pro bodybuilders are majority of the time their own nutritionist. They know what works for their body and are very knowledgeable on the matter. Also nutritionists / trainers are most likely on the staff, muscle isn't easy to acquire especially when you play a high level cardio sport like hockey. So really during the offseason is prime time muscle gaining period and 3 - 4 months isn't a huge window to gain a lot of weight.

This is assuming they don't use steroids obviously.
Hire some bodybuilders ... I think it would be a good idea. 4 months is a lot of time to put on muscle.

Old
03-05-2014, 02:51 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post

This is assuming they don't use steroids obviously.
Bodybuilding for these guys will be useless. They need to always be changing there workout, crossfit, cycling, running, lifting weight, rowing, swimming, etc.... They don't need to be bigger they need to be stronger.

Old
03-05-2014, 03:01 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Bodybuilding for these guys will be useless. They need to always be changing there workout, crossfit, cycling, running, lifting weight, rowing, swimming, etc.... They don't need to be bigger they need to be stronger.
I think this is part of the problem actually ... they DO need to be bigger.

All the fancy pants crossfit nonsense means jack all when a guy 20 pounds heavier than you wants the puck and just knocks you on your ass.

There's no substitute for muscle mass. Eakins (who's skinny as hell) is into all that endurance/"strength" nonsense too, get your ass in the gym and lift, eat your meat and potatoes, bulk up.

Old
03-05-2014, 03:03 PM
ghostnights

I want Ekblad!

Old
03-05-2014, 04:00 PM
Dabomb

So out of the bottom tier teams today fighting for lottery position, who do you think 'worsened' their team the most after this deadline?

Old
03-05-2014, 04:11 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
So out of the bottom tier teams today fighting for lottery position, who do you think 'worsened' their team the most after this deadline?
Probably just the Islanders with MacDonald and Vanek gone.

Florida lost Goc, Weaver but gained Luongo and Pirri.
I don't think the Flames losing Stempniak or Berra changes much.

Old
03-05-2014, 04:15 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Probably just the Islanders with MacDonald and Vanek gone.

Florida lost Goc, Weaver but gained Luongo and Pirri.
I don't think the Flames losing Stempniak or Berra changes much.
Wasn't Berra the Flames starter and playing well recently?

I think that is the one good thing we can say about losing Hemsky and Shultz but keeping Gagner. We most defiantly got worse.

Still think at least one team will drop below us tho :-(

Old
03-05-2014, 04:33 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:

All the fancy pants crossfit nonsense means jack all when a guy 20 pounds heavier than you wants the puck and just knocks you on your ass.

There's no substitute for muscle mass. Eakins (who's skinny as hell) is into all that endurance/"strength" nonsense too, get your ass in the gym and lift, eat your meat and potatoes, bulk up.
Have you seen any competitive crossfitters?

They would be the ones knocking 90% of NHLers on their *****.

Bodybuilding isn't all that useful for athletes IMO. Too much focus on building mass rather then functionality.

Old
03-05-2014, 04:51 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Have you seen any competitive crossfitters?

They would be the ones knocking 90% of NHLers on their *****.

Bodybuilding isn't all that useful for athletes IMO. Too much focus on building mass rather then functionality.
Exactly body builders are usually horrible athletes. Crossfit is definitely more beneficial as it improves your cardio/endurance and builds strength/muscle mass at the same time. The way I look at it bodybuilding is all show no go, and I've been told that by more then one bodybuilder.

Old
03-05-2014, 04:57 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

They don't need to be bigger they need more core and leg strength. They get pushed off the puck easily because they don't have the balance and leg strength to push guys off the puck. Look at Crosby he's small but a bull on the boards because his legs are jacked. Need to be doing lots of squats.

Old
03-05-2014, 05:03 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Wasn't Berra the Flames starter and playing well recently?

I think that is the one good thing we can say about losing Hemsky and Shultz but keeping Gagner. We most defiantly got worse.

Still think at least one team will drop below us tho :-(
Without going into much detail in the draft thread, he's had a decent stretch of a few games punctuated with bad ones, he's been very inconsistent. He's better than Ramo and MacDonald, but I guess we'll see how the Flames manage without him.

Old
03-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
They don't need to be bigger they need more core and leg strength. They get pushed off the puck easily because they don't have the balance and leg strength to push guys off the puck. Look at Crosby he's small but a bull on the boards because his legs are jacked. Need to be doing lots of squats.
Squats are a core mass building exercise, a staple of any bodybuilders routine. Crosby is not a little guy either at 200 pounds ... he can push around the RNHs and Eberles of the league easily.

Old
03-05-2014, 05:23 PM
armandh01

Quote:
I was clarifying body building in general. Also body building is still useful and far from useless.

Old
03-05-2014, 05:48 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
1. Buffalo lost their star starting goaltender, borderline star 1st line winger, and swapped around a few minor pieces.

2. NYI's lost a star 1st line winger and a top pairing D for them(not top pairing in the league).

3. Flames lost their starting goaltender(but not much better than their backup(s)) and 1st line winger(not a great one, but he was playing on their top line).

4. Oilers lost a 2nd line winger(although using him as a 3rd line winger at times), a bottom pairing D and an extra D, and swapped goalies.

5. Florida improved their starting goaltender, lost a 3rd liner, acquired Pirri(not sure where he fits in), lost a bottom pairing D.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:40 PM
glassbangers
#FireEakins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 1h
MacTavish said they are looking to add another defenceman in this year's draft. If they don't get Ekblad, do they trade down then?
Ekblad/Fleury it is.

Old
03-05-2014, 07:44 PM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Ekblad/Fleury it is.
Can't agree with that. If it's not Ekblad, whoever they end up drafting probably won't make the team for several years. If they're drafting second and Reinhart is there, I think you have to take him and deal a young forward or two for some vets to make room.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:34 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Lots of guys that could be good fits here if they pan out. Big if.

I haven't seen much of these guys but from what I've heard, the absolute top potential for some of these prospects would be great for us.

Draisaitl = Getzlaf - Perfect fit in our top 6, concerns about skating, work-ethic? (Didn't Getz have similar concerns?)

Bennett - Aggressive, top 6 center, hits, checks - another good fit

Ekblad - Top pairing D

Reinhart - I'm a little iffy on him because some say he is similar to Nuge or H. Sedin which is not what we need. Others say more like Toews, which would be much better

Ritchie - Big powerforward

Not saying these guys will reach their absolute top end potential. But some of the comparisons I'm hearing are delicious.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassbangers View Post
Ekblad/Fleury it is.
They have lots of picks other than their 1st to get another D.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Lindo

I don't think they will be in a position to draft Ekblad, and there will be too many good centres too pass up. If they trade down, I just think that would end up a really really bad mistake.

Old
03-05-2014, 08:53 PM
shogun99

I see us drafting 5th with NYI drafting 2nd. If you were Mac T would you offer the 5th overall plus Gagner for the 2nd overall? I think the main key would be to draft ahead of Calgary because there is no way that they'd pass on Ekblad.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:00 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
The Oilers seriously need to hire a full time nutritionist/trainer ... someone versed in bodybuilding and training athletes like in the NFL (so no fruit tray loving marathon runner ala Eakins) who provides meals for the kids.
You have to be real careful in hockey when it comes to body building. It can effect your quickness. I've seen it many, many times.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I see us drafting 5th with NYI drafting 2nd. If you were Mac T would you offer the 5th overall plus Gagner for the 2nd overall? I think the main key would be to draft ahead of Calgary because there is no way that they'd pass on Ekblad.
In this draft. Ekblad has to be the guy. If that's what it takes, you have to do it. Isles have no need for Gagner though.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

Quote:
Definitely not. Even if the value was right it doesn't matter, we don't need higher draft picks nearly as much as we need actual roster players. Using gagner to move up 3 spots rather than sending him away for defensive help would set us back even further.

Edit - If we are out of the top 3 I'd rather send both gags and the pick out for roster players, I have a hard time believing we will finish any beer than 2nd last though unless scrivens plays out the rest of the year at a near vezina calbre level.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:16 PM
LTIR

Quote:
Flames will take Reinhart ahead of Ekblad IMO and will build that franchise around Monahan\Reinhart down the middle..

Closed Thread