HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Flames will take Reinhart ahead of Ekblad IMO and will build that franchise around Monahan\Reinhart down the middle..
As would Buffalo. I think only us and the Islanders, and likely Florida would select Ekblad fist overall.

Old
03-05-2014, 09:17 PM
Paralyzer008

I just saw an ad with Ekblad in it

Immediately thought "this guy is going ahead of where Edmonton will be"

Old
03-05-2014, 10:11 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I just saw an ad with Ekblad in it

Immediately thought "this guy is going ahead of where Edmonton will be"
Who knows where we draft yet and then there's the lottery so anything can happen. We might get Ekblad we might not, he looks good but it wouldnt be a surprise if he dropped a bit look what happened with Seth Jones last year.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:15 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I was clarifying body building in general. Also body building is still useful and far from useless.
I dunno, maybe it was just a miscommunication. When I think bodybuilding I think of the competitive guys who are super ripped but lack the cardio and mobility that realistically you need to be good at sports. I agree they should be weight training but I wouldn't call it body building and there is several different ways of doing it which includes cross fit.

Old
03-05-2014, 10:26 PM
xlnc66

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
I see us drafting 5th with NYI drafting 2nd. If you were Mac T would you offer the 5th overall plus Gagner for the 2nd overall? I think the main key would be to draft ahead of Calgary because there is no way that they'd pass on Ekblad.
I don't see them dropping that far. Looks like Calgary is going to beat Ottawa and go up by 5 with a game still in hand. Florida will be improved with Luongo in net. The Islanders might be in free fall and the Oilers do play them tomorrow, but they did just beat the Jets last night, so who knows. Also, you still have Flo/Cgy, Flo/NYI, and Cgy/NYI playing each other and at least 1 team is guaranteed to grab 2 pts in each of those games.

Old
03-05-2014, 11:34 PM
Bryanbryoil
Paying Off A Bet

I just updated the OP.

03-06-2014, 12:31 AM
40oz

Draft Lottery Odds
1st - 25.0% - Buffalo
2nd - 18.8% - Edmonton
3rd - 14.2% - Florida
4th - 10.7% - Calgary
5th - 8.1% - NYI
6th - 6.2% - Carolina
7th - 4.7% - Ottawa
8th - 3.6% - Vancouver
9th - 2.7% - Winnipeg
10th - 2.1% - New Jersey
11th - 1.5% - Phoenix
12th - 1.1% - Washington
13th - 0.8% - Dallas
14th - 0.5% - Detriot

Old
03-06-2014, 12:40 AM
armandh01

We may win tomorrow but were definitely not winning the 4 after that.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:46 AM
Shizuka

If it shakes out that we end up at 2nd or 3rd, it makes things interesting. If Buffalo drafts Reinhart do the Oilers go with Ekblad or take Bennett? Will MacT try and parlay Gagner into another 1st rounder or a proper roster player (my guess is the latter but what exactly is available for a big, young, 2nd line C, or young promising D?)?

If by some miracle a team beats the odds and gets #1 overall and we get pushed down to 4th or 5th, what then? Does MacT trade down, as he's stated himself that this draft year is not as strong? Pathetic that we're talking about this for yet another season, when the current campaign has not even ended as yet but this is the state of this franchise. Tough to pass over Ekblad if he's available when we pick, but Bennett makes it interesting (again, subject to availability).

Old
03-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Ekblad is the number one pick for us no question.

Reinhart you take if he is there, otherwise I trade the pick.

Old
03-06-2014, 10:52 AM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
Ekblad is the number one pick for us no question.

Reinhart you take if he is there, otherwise I trade the pick.
Oh? What about Draisaitl, that big C who we don't have and teams don't trade? Or Bennett that gritty C that teams rarely give up..

Anyway

Calgary has about 12 possible wins ledt. They also play better against tougher teams so they aren't getting a head of us.

Islanders are the biggest competition but even they got more possible wins, without Tavares. Like 11.

We have 8...

Old
03-06-2014, 11:03 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Draft Lottery Odds
1st - 25.0% - Buffalo
2nd - 18.8% - Edmonton
3rd - 14.2% - Florida
4th - 10.7% - Calgary
5th - 8.1% - NYI
6th - 6.2% - Carolina
7th - 4.7% - Ottawa
8th - 3.6% - Vancouver
9th - 2.7% - Winnipeg
10th - 2.1% - New Jersey
11th - 1.5% - Phoenix
12th - 1.1% - Washington
13th - 0.8% - Dallas
14th - 0.5% - Detriot
I like the new lottery format overall, but it would definitely worry me if we were in the 3 spot on lottery day (or worse, #1). Right now we have a better chance of moving down in the draft than moving up or staying at 2.

03-06-2014, 11:18 AM
Aerchon

This season is such a disaster.

I can honestly say I have never truly rooted for other teams to beat the Oilers this year. I've never been a fail for nail or whatever supporter.

After how terrible this team has regressed this year and how brutal our coach is we NEED another game breaking player. There are only 2 of those this draft... which is kind of the norm. Ekblad or Reinhart either would fill a big hole in our team. Bennet might but is far less certain from what I have heard.

I am actively rooting for Florida, Buffalo, Islanders, and unbelievably Calgary. I am actively rooting for the Oilers to lose every single game from now till the draft. It helps our draft and will probably speed up the eventual decision to fire Eakins and maybe even Lowe (unlikely).

Last year getting Nurse was good. I think he has a top 4 potential and maybe even top 2. I just can't help but think getting Monahan would of still been better despite our desperate organizational need for quality D. Nurse won't be an effective NHL player for at least another few years. Winning those last couple games last year may have hurt us overall.

This year I want the Oilers to lose but I fully expect at least one team to drop below us in the standings, and quite likely more than one.

If the Oilers play as well as they did against Ottawa or better I think they will be in every game left. If Eakin pulls his head out of his ^&* we literally could win almost every game left this year. Almost all the games are at home and most are against average to weak teams and only a couple hard teams.

This is the worst season ever of being an Oilers fan. Being forced to cheer Calgary and hope for losses cause we are so far behind in our rebuild. We need a rebuild for our rebuild already :-(

Lame.

Ekblad/Reinhart are equal in my mind.

Couple others are consolation prizes but really the idea of packaging a pick + Gagner is great depending on the return.

Old
03-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
This season is such a disaster.

I can honestly say I have never truly rooted for other teams to beat the Oilers this year. I've never been a fail for nail or whatever supporter.

After how terrible this team has regressed this year and how brutal our coach is we NEED another game breaking player. There are only 2 of those this draft... which is kind of the norm. Ekblad or Reinhart either would fill a big hole in our team. Bennet might but is far less certain from what I have heard.

I am actively rooting for Florida, Buffalo, Islanders, and unbelievably Calgary. I am actively rooting for the Oilers to lose every single game from now till the draft. It helps our draft and will probably speed up the eventual decision to fire Eakins and maybe even Lowe (unlikely).

Last year getting Nurse was good. I think he has a top 4 potential and maybe even top 2. I just can't help but think getting Monahan would of still been better despite our desperate organizational need for quality D. Nurse won't be an effective NHL player for at least another few years. Winning those last couple games last year may have hurt us overall.

This year I want the Oilers to lose but I fully expect at least one team to drop below us in the standings, and quite likely more than one.

If the Oilers play as well as they did against Ottawa or better I think they will be in every game left. If Eakin pulls his head out of his ^&* we literally could win almost every game left this year. Almost all the games are at home and most are against average to weak teams and only a couple hard teams.

This is the worst season ever of being an Oilers fan. Being forced to cheer Calgary and hope for losses cause we are so far behind in our rebuild. We need a rebuild for our rebuild already :-(

Lame.

Ekblad/Reinhart are equal in my mind.

Couple others are consolation prizes but really the idea of packaging a pick + Gagner is great depending on the return.
Trying to rely on a rebuild to build a contender was a disaster. Why would we try and do that again? Inexperience in the top 6 and top 4 kills this team every year. This team needs to be desperate to add more veteran players who know what it takes to show up every night and compete on a winning team to help bring the young talent we have along.

Sure Reinhart and Bennett will be great players in this league one day but bringing them into the top 6 does nothing for us or the other young players we already have. Last thing we need is a 20 year old kid trying to shelter an 18 year old next year.

Old
03-06-2014, 11:41 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
MisterDB (also an HFBoards member) compiled this summary of Bennett's point production this season. I thought it would be worth sharing and am interested if anyone has seen anything similar for Reinhart or Draisaitl.

This is not to take anything away from Bennett, he is still highly regarded IMO, and his point totals are still very impressive. There is more to his game than scoring.

Other players will have similar effects from playing weaker teams (e.g. Ritchie who often plays against Kingston's porous defense and excels in those games).

http://frontenacshome.yuku.com/reply...es#reply-17848

Old
03-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
Trying to rely on a rebuild to build a contender was a disaster. Why would we try and do that again? Inexperience in the top 6 and top 4 kills this team every year. This team needs to be desperate to add more veteran players who know what it takes to show up every night and compete on a winning team to help bring the young talent we have along.

Sure Reinhart and Bennett will be great players in this league one day but bringing them into the top 6 does nothing for us or the other young players we already have. Last thing we need is a 20 year old kid trying to shelter an 18 year old next year.
Every team run rookies. Having rookies that can get up to speed faster and better is a win win. Plus we don't exactly have UFA's banging on our door.

Boston is wining right now with 4 rookies on their blue line.

Our coach is our worst rookie and our biggest problem.

I agree we should ship out some young talent for established NHLers but I think it will be tough to get what we need even if we do part with one of our "big guns". And that won't matter at all if our coach is junk.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:08 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Every team run rookies. Having rookies that can get up to speed faster and better is a win win. Plus we don't exactly have UFA's banging on our door.

I agree we should ship out some young talent for established NHLers but I think it will be tough to get what we need even if we do part with one of our "big guns". And that won't matter at all if our coach is junk.
Yeah but no teams try and build top 6 and top 4's completely around rookies or inexperienced players. Boston is running 4 rookies because of injuries and shouldnt be after acquiring Mezsaros. They still had the proper pieces in Chara, Seidenberg, and Boychuk to carry their pairings with rookies to compliment them and learn.

Eakins has been bad but you can't expect any coach to turn this team around with that kind of inexperience. Even with Babcock behind the bench, my guess is we would still be a bottom 5 team. The problems lie way deeper then coaching.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:16 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:

the easiest way to ease a Reinhart or bennet into our lineup is to move Gagner, Eberle for veteran upgrades. ie a 28-30 year old proven player(s). then have Bennett/Sam playing 4th line minutes getting used to the speed and comp while getting some PP time.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:19 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Yeah but no teams try and build top 6 and top 4's completely around rookies or inexperienced players. Boston is running 4 rookies because of injuries and shouldnt be after acquiring Mezsaros. They still had the proper pieces in Chara, Seidenberg, and Boychuk to carry their pairings with rookies to compliment them and learn.

Eakins has been bad but you can't expect any coach to turn this team around with that kind of inexperience. Even with Babcock behind the bench, my guess is we would still be a bottom 5 team. The problems lie way deeper then coaching.
Great pic btw.

I agree but... Chicago and St Louis didn't really have top end experienced players for their rebuilds. Technically Horcoff (lol), Hemsky, and Smyth are all Stanley cup finalists and should have been able to pass on/play enough to at least ease the transition. Defense yes, a top pairing to teach would make a difference.

But... That is exactly why great coaching is so important as well.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
the easiest way to ease a Reinhart or bennet into our lineup is to move Gagner, Eberle for veteran upgrades. ie a 28-30 year old proven player(s). then have Bennett/Sam playing 4th line minutes getting used to the speed and comp while getting some PP time.
Yeah something like that would have to happen. Problem is you are not going to get anything of quality to really upgrade this team for Gagner. Hopefully something can also be added through free agency beside trade.

If we do end up drafting a Reinhart or Bennett, they could also slide on the 3rd line wing beside Gordon for their first year. We still need to add the proper pieces in the top 6 though before we will find any success.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
CornKicker
Locked Out

Quote:
Yeah something like that would have to happen. Problem is you are not going to get anything of quality to really upgrade this team for Gagner. Hopefully something can also be added through free agency beside trade.

If we do end up drafting a Reinhart or Bennett, they could also slide on the 3rd line wing beside Gordon for their first year. We still need to add the proper pieces in the top 6 though before we will find any success.
the ideal offseason move would be to sign stasny, deal eberle for a solid top 2 defenceman and gagner for a serviceable 3rd line guy and a high pick 2-3rd.

also this will not be popular opinion but trading RNH in a package to get a C like pavelski would do wonders for this team. that extra years of experience would make a huge impact.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:41 PM
rockinghockey

First off I don't want Bennett
I do think that we need a better 2c that has a smick about defense. Move Gagner Eberle and yak. See who we get at the draft because let's face it Ekblad or Reinhart I h ope we bet one of these two will be good enough to play next year. Using those 3 players to improve the dmen and size in the top 6.

Old
03-06-2014, 12:54 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
First off I don't want Bennett
I do think that we need a better 2c that has a smick about defense. Move Gagner Eberle and yak. See who we get at the draft because let's face it Ekblad or Reinhart I h ope we bet one of these two will be good enough to play next year. Using those 3 players to improve the dmen and size in the top 6.
Whats wrong with Bennett?

Old
03-06-2014, 12:59 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

If the Oilers pick 1st there's only 1 option... Ekblad

If the Oilers pick 2nd there's only one option... whoever is left between Ekblad/Reinhart

If the Oilers pick 3rd it's a real choice at that point... Bennett/Draisaitl/Ritchie... probably in that order at this point.

Old
03-06-2014, 01:10 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If the Oilers pick 1st there's only 1 option... Ekblad

If the Oilers pick 2nd there's only one option... whoever is left between Ekblad/Reinhart

If the Oilers pick 3rd it's a real choice at that point... Bennett/Draisaitl/Ritchie... probably in that order at this point.
Agreed completely if it was up to me, but i the Oilers think of it a little differently.

Ekblad

Reinhart
Draisaitl

Bennett

Obviously, Ekblad is their 1st choice then i think it's Reinhart or Draisaitl because they have been scouting those two an awful lot and i think they really covet Draisaitl due to his size.
I then think that Bennett is well down their list because they will be put off by his size and I don't think they have any interest in taking a winger although they really should consider Ritchie if the centers are off the board, but they almost picked Nichushkin so maybe they are eyeing Ritchie. Just pure speculation on my part.

Closed Thread