HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Whats wrong with Bennett?
Pretty sure he's one of those guys who thinks a player needs to be 6'4'' and 230lbs to play big.

Old
03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
40oz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Agreed completely if it was up to me, but i the Oilers think of it a little differently.

Ekblad

Reinhart
Draisaitl

Bennett

Obviously, Ekblad is their 1st choice then i think it's Reinhart or Draisaitl because they have been scouting those two an awful lot and i think they really covet Draisaitl due to his size.
I then think that Bennett is well down their list because they will be put off by his size and I don't think they have any interest in taking a winger although they really should consider Ritchie if the centers are off the board, but they almost picked Nichushkin so maybe they are eyeing Ritchie. Just pure speculation on my part.
The difference in size between Bennett (6'0 180) and Reinhart (6'1 183) is pretty small, and you should keep in mind that Reinhart is almost 9 months older than Bennett. Bennett (who is actually a center) would also bring a physical game that no one in the Oilers top 6 has, he's got 112 PIM's this year and draws comparisons to Doug Gilmour (who is smaller than Bennett).

edit: Central Scouting has Bennett at 6'0.25" and Reinhart at 6'0.75", so half an inch between them.

Old
03-06-2014, 02:19 PM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
I don't know where to put this. I figured this was a good spot. If not move to appropriate location.

But anyways check out this goal by McDavid.

Old
03-06-2014, 02:50 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
The difference in size between Bennett (6'0 180) and Reinhart (6'1 183) is pretty small, and you should keep in mind that Reinhart is almost 9 months older than Bennett. Bennett (who is actually a center) would also bring a physical game that no one in the Oilers top 6 has, he's got 112 PIM's this year and draws comparisons to Doug Gilmour (who is smaller than Bennett).

edit: Central Scouting has Bennett at 6'0.25" and Reinhart at 6'0.75", so half an inch between them.
That's interesting because Reinhart looks a good deal bigger on the ice.
Then again, i've only seen highlights of Bennett so I could be off.

I think either would be great for the Oilers (i couldn't care less that Bennett is smallish), but i really like Reinhart's overall game and the fact that he's so polished already. I think he's easily the most NHL ready of the forwards in this draft and could have a Monahanesque impact as early as next year.

Of course, drafting should be for long term impact. I just think that Reinhart is almost a surefire bet to be a really good NHLer and that it won't take him long at all to get there.

Old
03-06-2014, 03:06 PM
doubledown99

Sam Bennett is Mike Richards except Bennett is bigger, faster and has a much better shot. The only department Bennet is lacking compared to Richards in junior is on the faceoff dot. Richards was awesome for the Rangers in the circle while Bennet is lacking.

Sam is exactly what we need in our top 6. Great 2 way player with grit and intangibles. He is just as lethal defensively as he is offensively. Will do anything to win. Raises his game when his teams need him the most. Be it internationally for Canada or for Fronts. Complete opposite of what we have right now. And he isn't small. He'll likely measure at 6'1" at the combine.

Oilers walking away with Ekblad or Bennett at the draft will be huge for this franchise

Old
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Sam Bennett is Mike Richards except Bennett is bigger, faster and has a much better shot. The only department Bennet is lacking compared to Richards in junior is on the faceoff dot. Richards was awesome for the Rangers in the circle while Bennet is lacking.

Sam is exactly what we need in our top 6. Great 2 way player with grit and intangibles. He is just as lethal defensively as he is offensively. Will do anything to win. Raises his game when his teams need him the most. Be it internationally for Canada or for Fronts. Complete opposite of what we have right now. And he isn't small. He'll likely measure at 6'1" at the combine.

Oilers walking away with Ekblad or Bennett at the draft will be huge for this franchise
If all this is accurate then this is the guy they should draft.

Old
03-06-2014, 03:22 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:

agreed anyone that says they dont want bennett havent seen him play.

Old
03-06-2014, 03:27 PM
OilDrop37

vCash: 10185
Quote:

Thanks for the scouting report. I'm now intrigued by him.

Old
03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
ponokanocker

Any of the top 3 picks is fine by me. Reinhart seems to be ahead of Bennett in most reports, but Bennett plays a style of game that will compliment our current top 6 better. Ekblad looks like he could solve our blueline issues. I really don't care if we pick 1-3, but after that, the prospects just don't seem at near as high a level and/or more issues with their games.

Old
03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
That's interesting because Reinhart looks a good deal bigger on the ice.
Then again, i've only seen highlights of Bennett so I could be off.

I think either would be great for the Oilers (i couldn't care less that Bennett is smallish), but i really like Reinhart's overall game and the fact that he's so polished already. I think he's easily the most NHL ready of the forwards in this draft and could have a Monahanesque impact as early as next year.

Of course, drafting should be for long term impact. I just think that Reinhart is almost a surefire bet to be a really good NHLer and that it won't take him long at all to get there.
Honestly I can't make my mind up on which of those two I'd want the Oilers to draft. I think Bennett may be a bit more exciting to watch, but Reinhart does have that 'do all the little things right' quality that guys like Bergeron and Toews have.

Old
03-06-2014, 03:54 PM
McDoused

I'm torn on the whole issue because my draft board looks completely different based on "BPA" vs what I think the oilers need.

BPA:
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Sam Bennett
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Michael Dal Colle
5. Leon Draisaitl

Oilers draft board:
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Bennett
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Nick Ritchie
5. Sam Reinhart

Something like that.

Old
03-06-2014, 04:30 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm torn on the whole issue because my draft board looks completely different based on "BPA" vs what I think the oilers need.

BPA:
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Sam Bennett
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Michael Dal Colle
5. Leon Draisaitl

Oilers draft board:
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Bennett
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Nick Ritchie
5. Sam Reinhart

Something like that.
i cant think a world other than size world where anyone would take Draisaitl over Reinhart

Old
03-06-2014, 04:48 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
Ekblad is the number one pick for us no question.

Reinhart you take if he is there, otherwise I trade the pick.
We could use any of Bennett, Ritchie or Virtanen too. Draisaitl as well if he picks up his play away from the puck.

03-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:

BPA:
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Sam Bennett
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Michael Dal Colle
5. Leon Draisaitl

Oilers draft board:
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Bennett
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Nick Ritchie
5. Sam Reinhart

Something like that.
With all due respect to Yakupov and his selection when everyone was saying BPA, BPA! IMO we need to draft for need instead of BPA at this point. We need defense, centers and power forwards. The last thing that we need is another perimeter player. I don't want Gagner as a part of this team beyond this season, if the only way that happens is if the guys that run the club drafts Reinhart or Bennett, then I'd sooner take them than Ekblad.

Old
03-06-2014, 05:05 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I don't know where to put this. I figured this was a good spot. If not move to appropriate location.

But anyways check out this goal by McDavid.

Pretty impressive. On another note, that defenseman looks like a surefire pick for the Oilers.

Old
03-06-2014, 05:07 PM
McDoused

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i cant think a world other than size world where anyone would take Draisaitl over Reinhart
You would have to think they would move the pick. I just don't think we can look at "value picks" anymore. I mean if we draft Reinhart it's just more of the same.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Reinhart-Yakupov

Sure those guys are insanely skilled but that's easily the smallest top 6 in the NHL. We would still have to trade 2 of these guys to get the right mix.

Old
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
With all due respect to Yakupov and his selection when everyone was saying BPA, BPA! IMO we need to draft for need instead of BPA at this point. We need defense, centers and power forwards. The last thing that we need is another perimeter player. I don't want Gagner as a part of this team beyond this season, if the only way that happens is if the guys that run the club drafts Reinhart or Bennett, then I'd sooner take them than Ekblad.
Well you do mention defense. Good defense is slightly harder to trade for than #2 centers.

Our right pairing defense consists of Petry, J. Shultz.... Fraser? Larson (lol), Fedun, and Gernat. Getting Ekblad really "should" vastly improve our overall D picture.

Trading Eberle for example will most likely not get you a top pairing RD but should be able to net a solid #2 center.

Our left pairing is set for the next 5 years if all goes to plan.

We have 2 potential stop gags for a #2 center. aka Lander or Arco. Neither are perimeter type players.

The more I think about the situation the more I realise how bad Gagner truly has been over the last few years and how little he has improved his overall game.

When or if Gagner is moved he won't be laughed out of the NHL but the center position is too important to have such a one dimensional player in it.

Total dream I know since I think it is highly unlikely we will manage to get Ekblad but in 3 years our D could look like this.

Nurse Ekblad
Maracin Petry
Ferrence J.shultz
Klefbom Gernat

Doubtful we get Ekblad. Doubtful Nurse, Maracin, J. Shultz, Klefbom and Gernat all develop well enough to make this the best in the league but just following projections that is a damn fine group.

Also I have a rather strong suspicion that in the 2015 draft we will be in the top 10 forsure and should be able to pick up a potential gritty #2 center type. Which timeline wise works much better to draft Ekblad this year and a center next so both will be ready to play well in a shorter timespan. Since forwards develop faster.

Last edited by Aerchon: 03-06-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Old
03-06-2014, 05:26 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
You would have to think they would move the pick. I just don't think we can look at "value picks" anymore. I mean if we draft Reinhart it's just more of the same.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Reinhart-Yakupov

Sure those guys are insanely skilled but that's easily the smallest top 6 in the NHL. We would still have to trade 2 of these guys to get the right mix.
Reinhart is broad shouldered and a more physical/slightly less skilled version of RNH. Who hasn't done much weight training in his life yet and is already heavier than RNH (180) versus 186.

Only watched him once but just seems to be involved in the dirty areas and plays the defensive side of the puck more than Hopkins.

I am sure it is all just predraft hype at this point but the more I hear about Reinhart the more I think if we end up with him eventually he will be our #1a and RNH our 1b.

Old
03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Reinhart is broad shouldered and a more physical/slightly less skilled version of RNH. Who hasn't done much weight training in his life yet and is already heavier than RNH (180) versus 186.

Only watched him once but just seems to be involved in the dirty areas and plays the defensive side of the puck more than Hopkins.

I am sure it is all just predraft hype at this point but the more I hear about Reinhart the more I think if we end up with him eventually he will be our #1a and RNH our 1b.
Been saying the same thing. I don't see how the Oilers can go wrong with any of Bennett, Reinhart, and Ekblad in the top 3. I think the real discussion starts at 4 as to who we pick if we pass someone and get bumped by the lottery.

Old
03-06-2014, 06:09 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

BPA:
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Aaron Ekblad
3. Sam Bennett
Top 3 interchangable depending what a teams looking for

4. Nikolaj Ehlers
5. Leon Draisaitl

Oilers draft board:
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Sam Bennett
4. Nick Ritchie
5. Leon Draisaitl

Something like that.
Fixed, no way we should be missing out on any of Reinhart, Bennett, or Ekblad if we pick top 3.

Old
03-06-2014, 06:17 PM
40oz

Here's a bit of Bennett and his only fight this year (i think), Bennett with a hit, Laughton goes after him before they fight.

and a Bennett feature from TSN

Old
03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Still can't find a reason to draft a forward.

Old
03-06-2014, 06:33 PM
OnTheMcBrink

vCash: 521
I still think Bennett would be best pick for Oilers, would bring a compete level and feistiness the top 6 is lacking right know, he would be a great 2C at worst long term, best case could have one of the better 1A/1B centers combinations.

Old
03-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Wow, Laughton looks like Phaneuf in that video, cares more about exacting revenge on Bennett than winning the hockey game.

Old
03-06-2014, 06:35 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
I don't think I'd have Draisatl in my top 10.

Center or not, a player who disregards defense and floats for half the game is even more redundant on this team than a small skilled winger.

Closed Thread