HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-06-2014, 01:58 PM
  #676
McDNicks17
Moderator
McDavid Cometh
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,556
vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Whats wrong with Bennett?
Pretty sure he's one of those guys who thinks a player needs to be 6'4'' and 230lbs to play big.

McDNicks17 is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 01:59 PM
  #677
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Agreed completely if it was up to me, but i the Oilers think of it a little differently.

Ekblad

Reinhart
Draisaitl



Bennett

Obviously, Ekblad is their 1st choice then i think it's Reinhart or Draisaitl because they have been scouting those two an awful lot and i think they really covet Draisaitl due to his size.
I then think that Bennett is well down their list because they will be put off by his size and I don't think they have any interest in taking a winger although they really should consider Ritchie if the centers are off the board, but they almost picked Nichushkin so maybe they are eyeing Ritchie. Just pure speculation on my part.
The difference in size between Bennett (6'0 180) and Reinhart (6'1 183) is pretty small, and you should keep in mind that Reinhart is almost 9 months older than Bennett. Bennett (who is actually a center) would also bring a physical game that no one in the Oilers top 6 has, he's got 112 PIM's this year and draws comparisons to Doug Gilmour (who is smaller than Bennett).

edit: Central Scouting has Bennett at 6'0.25" and Reinhart at 6'0.75", so half an inch between them.

40oz is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 02:19 PM
  #678
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!
 
Fixed to Ruin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grande Prairie, AB
Posts: 8,504
vCash: 50
I don't know where to put this. I figured this was a good spot. If not move to appropriate location.

But anyways check out this goal by McDavid.


Fixed to Ruin is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 02:50 PM
  #679
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder
 
McCupofOil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 5-14-6-1
Country: United States
Posts: 15,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
The difference in size between Bennett (6'0 180) and Reinhart (6'1 183) is pretty small, and you should keep in mind that Reinhart is almost 9 months older than Bennett. Bennett (who is actually a center) would also bring a physical game that no one in the Oilers top 6 has, he's got 112 PIM's this year and draws comparisons to Doug Gilmour (who is smaller than Bennett).

edit: Central Scouting has Bennett at 6'0.25" and Reinhart at 6'0.75", so half an inch between them.
That's interesting because Reinhart looks a good deal bigger on the ice.
Then again, i've only seen highlights of Bennett so I could be off.

I think either would be great for the Oilers (i couldn't care less that Bennett is smallish), but i really like Reinhart's overall game and the fact that he's so polished already. I think he's easily the most NHL ready of the forwards in this draft and could have a Monahanesque impact as early as next year.

Of course, drafting should be for long term impact. I just think that Reinhart is almost a surefire bet to be a really good NHLer and that it won't take him long at all to get there.

McCupofOil is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 03:06 PM
  #680
doubledown99
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,770
vCash: 500
Sam Bennett is Mike Richards except Bennett is bigger, faster and has a much better shot. The only department Bennet is lacking compared to Richards in junior is on the faceoff dot. Richards was awesome for the Rangers in the circle while Bennet is lacking.

Sam is exactly what we need in our top 6. Great 2 way player with grit and intangibles. He is just as lethal defensively as he is offensively. Will do anything to win. Raises his game when his teams need him the most. Be it internationally for Canada or for Fronts. Complete opposite of what we have right now. And he isn't small. He'll likely measure at 6'1" at the combine.

Oilers walking away with Ekblad or Bennett at the draft will be huge for this franchise

doubledown99 is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 03:18 PM
  #681
Pablo Aimar
MBA
 
Pablo Aimar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Sam Bennett is Mike Richards except Bennett is bigger, faster and has a much better shot. The only department Bennet is lacking compared to Richards in junior is on the faceoff dot. Richards was awesome for the Rangers in the circle while Bennet is lacking.

Sam is exactly what we need in our top 6. Great 2 way player with grit and intangibles. He is just as lethal defensively as he is offensively. Will do anything to win. Raises his game when his teams need him the most. Be it internationally for Canada or for Fronts. Complete opposite of what we have right now. And he isn't small. He'll likely measure at 6'1" at the combine.

Oilers walking away with Ekblad or Bennett at the draft will be huge for this franchise
If all this is accurate then this is the guy they should draft.

Pablo Aimar is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 03:22 PM
  #682
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Sam Bennett is Mike Richards except Bennett is bigger, faster and has a much better shot. The only department Bennet is lacking compared to Richards in junior is on the faceoff dot. Richards was awesome for the Rangers in the circle while Bennet is lacking.

Sam is exactly what we need in our top 6. Great 2 way player with grit and intangibles. He is just as lethal defensively as he is offensively. Will do anything to win. Raises his game when his teams need him the most. Be it internationally for Canada or for Fronts. Complete opposite of what we have right now. And he isn't small. He'll likely measure at 6'1" at the combine.

Oilers walking away with Ekblad or Bennett at the draft will be huge for this franchise
agreed anyone that says they dont want bennett havent seen him play.

CornKicker is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 03:27 PM
  #683
OilDrop37
Registered User
 
OilDrop37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Flames Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,952
vCash: 10185
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Sam Bennett is Mike Richards except Bennett is bigger, faster and has a much better shot. The only department Bennet is lacking compared to Richards in junior is on the faceoff dot. Richards was awesome for the Rangers in the circle while Bennet is lacking.

Sam is exactly what we need in our top 6. Great 2 way player with grit and intangibles. He is just as lethal defensively as he is offensively. Will do anything to win. Raises his game when his teams need him the most. Be it internationally for Canada or for Fronts. Complete opposite of what we have right now. And he isn't small. He'll likely measure at 6'1" at the combine.

Oilers walking away with Ekblad or Bennett at the draft will be huge for this franchise
Thanks for the scouting report. I'm now intrigued by him.

OilDrop37 is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 03:31 PM
  #684
ponokanocker
Registered User
 
ponokanocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,503
vCash: 500
Any of the top 3 picks is fine by me. Reinhart seems to be ahead of Bennett in most reports, but Bennett plays a style of game that will compliment our current top 6 better. Ekblad looks like he could solve our blueline issues. I really don't care if we pick 1-3, but after that, the prospects just don't seem at near as high a level and/or more issues with their games.

ponokanocker is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
  #685
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,610
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
That's interesting because Reinhart looks a good deal bigger on the ice.
Then again, i've only seen highlights of Bennett so I could be off.

I think either would be great for the Oilers (i couldn't care less that Bennett is smallish), but i really like Reinhart's overall game and the fact that he's so polished already. I think he's easily the most NHL ready of the forwards in this draft and could have a Monahanesque impact as early as next year.

Of course, drafting should be for long term impact. I just think that Reinhart is almost a surefire bet to be a really good NHLer and that it won't take him long at all to get there.
Honestly I can't make my mind up on which of those two I'd want the Oilers to draft. I think Bennett may be a bit more exciting to watch, but Reinhart does have that 'do all the little things right' quality that guys like Bergeron and Toews have.

40oz is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 03:54 PM
  #686
McDoused
Registered User
 
McDoused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,482
vCash: 500
I'm torn on the whole issue because my draft board looks completely different based on "BPA" vs what I think the oilers need.

BPA:
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Sam Bennett
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Michael Dal Colle
5. Leon Draisaitl

Oilers draft board:
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Bennett
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Nick Ritchie
5. Sam Reinhart

Something like that.

McDoused is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 04:30 PM
  #687
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood
 
CornKicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,542
vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm torn on the whole issue because my draft board looks completely different based on "BPA" vs what I think the oilers need.

BPA:
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Sam Bennett
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Michael Dal Colle
5. Leon Draisaitl

Oilers draft board:
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Bennett
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Nick Ritchie
5. Sam Reinhart

Something like that.
i cant think a world other than size world where anyone would take Draisaitl over Reinhart

CornKicker is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 04:48 PM
  #688
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 54,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hallidays View Post
Ekblad is the number one pick for us no question.

Reinhart you take if he is there, otherwise I trade the pick.
We could use any of Bennett, Ritchie or Virtanen too. Draisaitl as well if he picks up his play away from the puck.

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 04:50 PM
  #689
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 54,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm torn on the whole issue because my draft board looks completely different based on "BPA" vs what I think the oilers need.

BPA:
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Sam Bennett
3. Aaron Ekblad
4. Michael Dal Colle
5. Leon Draisaitl

Oilers draft board:
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Bennett
3. Leon Draisaitl
4. Nick Ritchie
5. Sam Reinhart

Something like that.
With all due respect to Yakupov and his selection when everyone was saying BPA, BPA! IMO we need to draft for need instead of BPA at this point. We need defense, centers and power forwards. The last thing that we need is another perimeter player. I don't want Gagner as a part of this team beyond this season, if the only way that happens is if the guys that run the club drafts Reinhart or Bennett, then I'd sooner take them than Ekblad.

Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 05:05 PM
  #690
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State
 
KenLinsemanFanClub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Isle of Van
Country: South Africa
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 1513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixed to Ruin View Post
I don't know where to put this. I figured this was a good spot. If not move to appropriate location.

But anyways check out this goal by McDavid.

Pretty impressive. On another note, that defenseman looks like a surefire pick for the Oilers.

KenLinsemanFanClub is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 05:07 PM
  #691
McDoused
Registered User
 
McDoused's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Katy <3
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,482
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i cant think a world other than size world where anyone would take Draisaitl over Reinhart
You would have to think they would move the pick. I just don't think we can look at "value picks" anymore. I mean if we draft Reinhart it's just more of the same.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Reinhart-Yakupov

Sure those guys are insanely skilled but that's easily the smallest top 6 in the NHL. We would still have to trade 2 of these guys to get the right mix.

McDoused is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
  #692
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
With all due respect to Yakupov and his selection when everyone was saying BPA, BPA! IMO we need to draft for need instead of BPA at this point. We need defense, centers and power forwards. The last thing that we need is another perimeter player. I don't want Gagner as a part of this team beyond this season, if the only way that happens is if the guys that run the club drafts Reinhart or Bennett, then I'd sooner take them than Ekblad.
Well you do mention defense. Good defense is slightly harder to trade for than #2 centers.

Our right pairing defense consists of Petry, J. Shultz.... Fraser? Larson (lol), Fedun, and Gernat. Getting Ekblad really "should" vastly improve our overall D picture.

Trading Eberle for example will most likely not get you a top pairing RD but should be able to net a solid #2 center.

Our left pairing is set for the next 5 years if all goes to plan.

We have 2 potential stop gags for a #2 center. aka Lander or Arco. Neither are perimeter type players.

The more I think about the situation the more I realise how bad Gagner truly has been over the last few years and how little he has improved his overall game.

When or if Gagner is moved he won't be laughed out of the NHL but the center position is too important to have such a one dimensional player in it.

Total dream I know since I think it is highly unlikely we will manage to get Ekblad but in 3 years our D could look like this.

Nurse Ekblad
Maracin Petry
Ferrence J.shultz
Klefbom Gernat

Doubtful we get Ekblad. Doubtful Nurse, Maracin, J. Shultz, Klefbom and Gernat all develop well enough to make this the best in the league but just following projections that is a damn fine group.

Also I have a rather strong suspicion that in the 2015 draft we will be in the top 10 forsure and should be able to pick up a potential gritty #2 center type. Which timeline wise works much better to draft Ekblad this year and a center next so both will be ready to play well in a shorter timespan. Since forwards develop faster.


Last edited by Aerchon: 03-06-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Aerchon is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 05:26 PM
  #693
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,335
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
You would have to think they would move the pick. I just don't think we can look at "value picks" anymore. I mean if we draft Reinhart it's just more of the same.

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Reinhart-Yakupov

Sure those guys are insanely skilled but that's easily the smallest top 6 in the NHL. We would still have to trade 2 of these guys to get the right mix.
Reinhart is broad shouldered and a more physical/slightly less skilled version of RNH. Who hasn't done much weight training in his life yet and is already heavier than RNH (180) versus 186.

Only watched him once but just seems to be involved in the dirty areas and plays the defensive side of the puck more than Hopkins.

I am sure it is all just predraft hype at this point but the more I hear about Reinhart the more I think if we end up with him eventually he will be our #1a and RNH our 1b.

Aerchon is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 05:58 PM
  #694
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?
 
RaabHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Reinhart is broad shouldered and a more physical/slightly less skilled version of RNH. Who hasn't done much weight training in his life yet and is already heavier than RNH (180) versus 186.

Only watched him once but just seems to be involved in the dirty areas and plays the defensive side of the puck more than Hopkins.

I am sure it is all just predraft hype at this point but the more I hear about Reinhart the more I think if we end up with him eventually he will be our #1a and RNH our 1b.
Been saying the same thing. I don't see how the Oilers can go wrong with any of Bennett, Reinhart, and Ekblad in the top 3. I think the real discussion starts at 4 as to who we pick if we pass someone and get bumped by the lottery.

RaabHart is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 06:09 PM
  #695
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?
 
RaabHart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 8,758
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm torn on the whole issue because my draft board looks completely different based on "BPA" vs what I think the oilers need.

BPA:
1. Sam Reinhart
2. Aaron Ekblad
3. Sam Bennett
Top 3 interchangable depending what a teams looking for

4. Nikolaj Ehlers
5. Leon Draisaitl

Oilers draft board:
1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart
3. Sam Bennett
4. Nick Ritchie
5. Leon Draisaitl

Something like that.
Fixed, no way we should be missing out on any of Reinhart, Bennett, or Ekblad if we pick top 3.

RaabHart is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 06:17 PM
  #696
40oz
..........
 
40oz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,610
vCash: 500


Here's a bit of Bennett and his only fight this year (i think), Bennett with a hit, Laughton goes after him before they fight.

and a Bennett feature from TSN

40oz is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 06:28 PM
  #697
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers
 
GreatMcKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 16,864
vCash: 217
Still can't find a reason to draft a forward.

GreatMcKeith is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 06:33 PM
  #698
OnTheMcBrink
Registered User
 
OnTheMcBrink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Airdrie
Posts: 3,281
vCash: 521
I still think Bennett would be best pick for Oilers, would bring a compete level and feistiness the top 6 is lacking right know, he would be a great 2C at worst long term, best case could have one of the better 1A/1B centers combinations.

OnTheMcBrink is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 06:34 PM
  #699
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan
 
Yeah15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,618
vCash: 50
Wow, Laughton looks like Phaneuf in that video, cares more about exacting revenge on Bennett than winning the hockey game.

Yeah15 is offline  
Old
03-06-2014, 06:35 PM
  #700
McDNicks17
Moderator
McDavid Cometh
 
McDNicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,556
vCash: 1115
I don't think I'd have Draisatl in my top 10.

Center or not, a player who disregards defense and floats for half the game is even more redundant on this team than a small skilled winger.

McDNicks17 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.