HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2014, 06:52 PM
oiLowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheBrink View Post
I still think Bennett would be best pick for Oilers, would bring a compete level and feistiness the top 6 is lacking right know, he would be a great 2C at worst long term, best case could have one of the better 1A/1B centers combinations.
Assuming Ekblad is gone. I agree.

It's still Ekblad or bust for me. Please DO NOT draft Reinhart. He will just be another perimeter skilled forward of which we have too many.

Old
03-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Samwise Gagner
We suck.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't think I'd have Draisatl in my top 10.

Center or not, a player who disregards defense and floats for half the game is even more redundant on this team than a small skilled winger.
He seems to be dropping like a rock on most draft boards, definitely looking like a reach where we will be picking. The major weakness I've read about often is his skating.

Old
03-06-2014, 07:11 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Still can't find a reason to draft a forward.
Here's a pretty good ****ing reason for you.....

Sam Gagner is our 2C in a division where:

Anaheim has Getzlaf
Phoenix has Ribeiro and Hanzal
SJ has Thornton, Pavelski and Couture
LA has Kopitar and Richards
Vancouver has Sedin and Kesler
Calgary has Monahan and potentially Reinhart or Bennett

We aren't winning a damn thing with Gagner as 2C. If we don't draft a C we had damn well better trade for one this offseason or ink Stastny.

03-06-2014, 07:13 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Here's a pretty good ****ing reason for you.....

Sam Gagner is our 2C in a division where:

Anaheim has Getzlaf
Phoenix has Ribeiro and Hanzal
SJ has Thornton, Pavelski and Couture
LA has Kopitar and Richards
Vancouver has Sedin and Kesler
Calgary has Monahan and potentially Reinhart or Bennett

We aren't winning a damn thing with Gagner as 2C. If we don't draft a C we had damn well better trade for one this offseason or ink Stastny.

Here's my rebuttal. Especially since our D isn't getting any better.

Old
03-06-2014, 07:18 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:

Here's my rebuttal. Especially since our D isn't getting any better.
Saddly I agree, don't see us being out of the top 10 next year with the crap we have now. Time to rebuild the rebuild. What a friggin joke.

Old
03-06-2014, 07:20 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Saddly I agree, don't see us being out of the top 10 next year with the crap we have now. Time to rebuild the rebuild. What a friggin joke.
I get that Gags is crap but how else are we going to acquire decent defensemen? That's why I don't want us drafting any forwards unless Ekblad is off the table.

Old
03-06-2014, 07:29 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
I get that Gags is crap but how else are we going to acquire decent defensemen? That's why I don't want us drafting any forwards unless Ekblad is off the table.
I don't think anyone here is saying they should draft a forward ahead of Ekblad (well there may be a very small minority that say that)... but it has to be nearly unanimous that Ekblad is the Oilers logical choice if he's available when they pick.

I could easily see the Oilers trading up for Ekblad if that's what it takes (if they are picking 2/3) and they need to leapfrog a team to insure getting Ekblad.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:05 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
The picture is of Mcdavid, basically means were crap next year too. I don't think anyone would prefer Reinhart or Bennett ahead of Ekblad. But I also don't think anyone should expect Ekblad to come in here and be the saviour that leads us to the playoffs. Look at most of the dmen drafted in the last 10 years, how many have came in and made a big impact right away. I can think of 1, and thats Doughty.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:11 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
The picture is of Mcdavid, basically means were crap next year too. I don't think anyone would prefer Reinhart or Bennett ahead of Ekblad. But I also don't think anyone should expect Ekblad to come in here and be the saviour that leads us to the playoffs. Look at most of the dmen drafted in the last 10 years, how many have came in and made a big impact right away. I can think of 1, and thats Doughty.
We're crap next year no matter who we draft. I figure we at least get a d-man this year and then get McDavid next year.

And I'm not expecting Ekblad to be impactful right away. I'm just saying there's no other way we're going to get a 1/2 d-man.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:12 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Still can't find a reason to draft a forward.
Seriously?
The Oilers have arguably the weakest center depth in the league and I can't think of another team that can use a power forward more than the Oilers so there's 2 big reasons.
I'm all for Ekblad, but make no mistake about it, center is just as if not a bigger need.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:14 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Seriously?
The Oilers have arguably the weakest center depth in the league and I can't think of another team that can use a power forward more than the Oilers so there's 2 big reasons.
I'm all for Ekblad, but make no mistake about it, center is just as if not a bigger need.
How else are we going to get a 1/2 d-man? Short of trading Hall it's not going to happen, and I'm not even sure Hall's going to get it done for you.

People complain about the defense being **** then they want to draft centers like it'll fix the issues on the back end.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:16 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiLowe View Post
Assuming Ekblad is gone. I agree.

It's still Ekblad or bust for me. Please DO NOT draft Reinhart. He will just be another perimeter skilled forward of which we have too many.
Ugh. Why do people keep saying this?
He doesn't play like RNH, he's not more of what we already have and he is not just a perimeter, skilled player. Have some of you never seen him play?

I've said it before. He plays similar to Bergeron/Toews. Not overly dynamic but incredibly smart, excels in every situation, goes to the dirty areas more than people might think and is an ace defensively. He is not merely a skilled, perimeter player although that's a part of his game too.
He would automatically be the Oilers best 2 way forward.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:23 PM
CupofOil

Quote:
How else are we going to get a 1/2 d-man? Short of trading Hall it's not going to happen, and I'm not even sure Hall's going to get it done for you.

People complain about the defense being **** then they want to draft centers like it'll fix the issues on the back end.
I could pose the same question to you. How else are the Oilers going to acquire a 1/2 center? I've seen more top pairing Dmen shuffling around than high end top 6 centers over the last several years.

There's no doubt that defense is the big club's biggest weakness by a good margin but organizationally, center is easily the weakest position.
In the pipeline, we have Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil while at center, we have Lander, Khaira and Ewanyk. See where I'm going with this?
Also, Dmen take longer to develop than forwards generally do. I'd be willing to bet that Reinhart makes an impact sooner than Ekblad.
I'm all for drafting Ekblad as top priority, but lets not act like the Oilers can't use a center or power forward as well.

I think we can agree that none of Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennett are going to be saviors and that MacT needs to bring in more impactful veterans otherwise, it will be yet another young player thrown into a situation where they are over their head.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:29 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
I could pose the same question to you. How else are the Oilers going to acquire a 1/2 center? I've seen more top pairing Dmen shuffling around than high end top 6 centers over the last several years.

There's no doubt that defense is the big club's biggest weakness by a good margin but organizationally, center is easily the weakest position.
In the pipeline, we have Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin, Gernat, Musil while at center, we have Lander, Khaira and Ewanyk. See where I'm going with this?

Also, Dmen take longer to develop than forwards generally do. I'd be willing to bet that Reinhart makes an impact sooner than Ekblad.
I'm all for drafting Ekblad as top priority, but lets not act like the Oilers can't use a center or power forward as well.

I think we can agree that none of Ekblad, Reinhart or Bennett are going to be saviors and that MacT needs to bring in more impactful veterans otherwise, it will be yet another young player thrown into a situation where they are over their head.
Really? Like who? Suter? We haven't seen an elite d-man dealt since Pronger.

Let's not kid ourselves, we're in the McDavid sweepstakes no matter who we pick. So picking yet another forward doesn't help us at all when he's more than likely on the way.

And none of our d-prospects is going to be any better than a 3/4. Maybe Nurse becomes a 2 but we spent all these years drafting forwards and ignoring defense, and look where we are now. It's no surprise that the elite teams in the NHL have drafted great defensemen (Montreal - Subban, St. Louis - Pterangelo, Kings - Doughty, Hawks - Keith/Seabrook).

We're not getting a 1/2 via trade and we're not getting one via UFA. That leaves only one option. If the Oilers take a forward when Ekblad is available I will riot.

Old
03-06-2014, 08:37 PM
CupofOil

Quote:

Let's not kid ourselves, we're in the McDavid sweepstakes no matter who we pick. So picking yet another forward doesn't help us at all when he's more than likely on the way.

And none of our d-prospects is going to be any better than a 3/4. Maybe Nurse becomes a 2 but we spent all these years drafting forwards and ignoring defense, and look where we are now. It's no surprise that the elite teams in the NHL have drafted great defensemen (Montreal - Subban, St. Louis - Pterangelo, Kings - Doughty, Hawks - Keith/Seabrook).

We're not getting a 1/2 via trade and we're not getting one via UFA. That leaves only one option. If the Oilers take a forward when Ekblad is available I will riot.
As I said before, Ekblad should be first priority but if he's gone, the Oilers will fill just as big a need with Reinhart or Bennett.
You're depending on the Oilers to fill their center void with McDavid or Eichel? Ya, good luck with that. It's always possible since this is the Oilers, but I wouldn't be betting on that.
We're not getting a 1/2 C via trade or UFA either and have nothing in the pipeline whereas we have more promising D prospects in the pipeline so how do you expect to get a legit center?

Either way, MacT needs to find ways outside of the draft to fill big needs.
Drafting any of these guys isn't going to turn around the Oilers fortunes anytime soon anyway.

Old
03-06-2014, 09:49 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

If Ekblad is off the table and we can't get any decent offers for the pick, and we take one of those forwards. I really, really hope we trade Eberle in the offseason. Gagner too if we don't move him at the draft.

Old
03-06-2014, 10:08 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
If Ekblad is off the table and we can't get any decent offers for the pick, and we take one of those forwards. I really, really hope we trade Eberle in the offseason. Gagner too if we don't move him at the draft.
I'm wondering what the thought process is behind wanting to trade Eberle?

Old
03-06-2014, 10:09 PM
Hockey Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I'm wondering what the thought process is behind wanting to trade Eberle?
Why the hell wouldn't we? What has he done lately for $6M a year?

Old
03-06-2014, 10:18 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
What have any of the $6,000,000 kids done lately.

Old
03-06-2014, 10:25 PM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Nightmare View Post
Personally, I don't think that he's a problem for your team.

What would the solution be?

Old
03-06-2014, 10:35 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Ugh. Why do people keep saying this?
He doesn't play like RNH, he's not more of what we already have and he is not just a perimeter, skilled player. Have some of you never seen him play?

I've said it before. He plays similar to Bergeron/Toews. Not overly dynamic but incredibly smart, excels in every situation, goes to the dirty areas more than people might think and is an ace defensively. He is not merely a skilled, perimeter player although that's a part of his game too.
He would automatically be the Oilers best 2 way forward.
Yes he does! He plays extremely similiar to the way Nuge played in junior. We somebody COMPLETELY different if it's going to be a forward. Sure he might be a little more defesively sound but he is not nearly gritty enough to carry that over against men. He will forced to become an outside player and mimic the existing forwards we already have. He would be an awful choice for the Oilers.

Old
03-06-2014, 10:55 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

Not that I don't agree with what your saying, but we didn't really have an option to take a dman early. I think the closest year was Murray vs Yakupov year and even still Murray hasn't been anything to write home about in Columbus. I think everyone here agrees we need to take Ekblad if he's on the board, but it's not like taking Bennett or Reinhart would be the end of the world. Especially when you consider how deep next years draft is and hows there's a good chance we'll be able to pick one of Hanifin, Kylington, Werenski, or Pilon. IMO Ekblad would be going from 6-10 in next years draft, where as Reinhart and Bennett would both be arguable around 3.

Old
03-06-2014, 11:04 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

The way I see it. Eberle is worse than Hall and RNH and worth more than Yakupov. He's a soft, one dimensional right winger. Trade him for something we lack. It won't fix our team obviously. Our team is god ****ing awful. But it's a start.

But no we should probably not do anything. Roll with this:

Hall - Gagner - Yakupov
Perron - Reinhart - Eberle

Last edited by Sloth Slothersons*: 03-06-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old
03-06-2014, 11:05 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloth slothersons View Post
the way i see it. Eberle is worse than hall and rnh. He's a soft, one dimensional right winger. Trade him for something we lack. It won't fix our team obviously. Our team is god ****ing awful. But it's a start.

But no we should probably not do anything. Roll with this

hall - gagner - yakupov
perron - reinhart - eberle

rnh?

Old
03-06-2014, 11:12 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Not that I don't agree with what your saying, but we didn't really have an option to take a dman early. I think the closest year was Murray vs Yakupov year and even still Murray hasn't been anything to write home about in Columbus. I think everyone here agrees we need to take Ekblad if he's on the board, but it's not like taking Bennett or Reinhart would be the end of the world. Especially when you consider how deep next years draft is and hows there's a good chance we'll be able to pick one of Hanifin, Kylington, Werenski, or Pilon. IMO Ekblad would be going from 6-10 in next years draft, where as Reinhart and Bennett would both be arguable around 3.
Oh I know. That's the problem with drafting first overall. You're basically forced to select one player...

Closed Thread