HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2014, 12:13 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Oh I know. That's the problem with drafting first overall. You're basically forced to select one player...
Yea at 2 or 3 you have some leeway, at 1st theres only one choice. Well except for this year although I'd be shocked if Reinhart wasn't taken at 1.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:14 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwise Gagner View Post
He seems to be dropping like a rock on most draft boards, definitely looking like a reach where we will be picking. The major weakness I've read about often is his skating.
Ehhh...when I hear skating as a weakness, I'm usually not overly concerned. That's something that can usually be improved.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:14 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Yea at 2 or 3 you have some leeway, at 1st theres only one choice. Well except for this year although I'd be shocked if Reinhart wasn't taken at 1.
I think the Sabres need help up front, so if we select #2 I'm pretty confident in us getting Ekblad.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:21 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
I think the Sabres need help up front, so if we select #2 I'm pretty confident in us getting Ekblad.
I'm fine with anyone in the top three.

If we need a top D man. We're going to need to trade for one. We have the assets.

Old
03-07-2014, 12:23 AM
voxel

If we are picking #1 (i.e win lottery)... we pretty much have to select Reinhart. Seems like that kid is killing it. Probably trade down and pick Ekblad or just go BPA?

Old
03-07-2014, 12:27 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Ehhh...when I hear skating as a weakness, I'm usually not overly concerned. That's something that can usually be improved.
I'd take Draisaitl between 11-15. You don't take a guy with skating issues top 10 if you can avoid it IMO.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:13 AM
40oz

I think my one concern with Bennett is just the sheer amount of penalties he takes, its actually astonishing. He's takes at least one minor penalty per game, he's at 118 PIM in 56 games. Tonight alone he had a slashing minor and then he got two high sticking minors in the same play.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:18 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
I think my one concern with Bennett is just the sheer amount of penalties he takes, its actually astonishing. He's takes at least one minor penalty per game, he's at 118 PIM in 56 games. Tonight alone he had a slashing minor and then he got two high sticking minors in the same play.
It's a lot easier to tone Bennett down than ramp Reinhart up.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:23 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
My question is how much of a drop off is there from Ekblad to Fleury? Seems like it's not that big, but I haven't seen a lot of Fleury so I can't really make a good comparison.
I haven't seen Fleury either. My inference off of scouting info is that he's not going to be the two-way guy that you're supposedly going to get out of Ekblad. I doubt he controls the play at the same level from the back end as Ekblad does, but again, I've never seen him play, so it's an assumption.

Also, he spells his first name incorrectly. Gross.

Seriously though, didn't Fleury say that they Oilers were his favourite team, and that he wanted to be drafted here? I remember reading that somewhere.

EDIT:

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=700878

Found it.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:29 AM
ohheyhemsky

Anyone have any info on Fleury? First person scouting? Camannn

Old
03-07-2014, 02:15 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
There does appear to be a correlation to players who get a lot of penalty minutes in junior and in the NHL, the three first skilled players I thought of who got a lot of penalties in junior but still fit into the offense first high skill category were Brule, Getzlaf, and Perry. Brule did seem to do a decent job of cutting down his penalties, but I think a lot of that is also just the reduced ice time he got and coaches tolerance level for taking penalties in a 3rd/4th line role. Getzlaf and Perry have maintained pretty high PIM's but given how good they are no one really cares a whole lot and the same might be true for Bennett. I have little doubt he will be able to reduce his PIM's as seemingly all of them do aside from your more hitting/ tough guy kind of players like Tom Wilson but Bennett even when toned down will probably be hovering around the 70 PIM mark on a 82 game season.

Edit: Looked up some D out of personal interest Dion Phaneuf maintained high PIM's but Jack Johnson has shrunk his PIMs considerably.

Old
03-07-2014, 03:11 AM
Panda Bear

When skilled players maintain high penalty minutes, they have the advantage of not being messed with near as often as the calm types.

Who in their right mind would try to piss off Getzlaf?

Old
03-07-2014, 03:35 AM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

We need to play the Avalanche more often. I don't think there's a fan-base on these message boards that I dislike more than Colorado's. The way they talk about Landeskog and MacKinnon, you would swear they're both leading the league in points, even though neither of them has more points than Hall...

I would kill to see Scrivens shut down their offence.

Old
03-07-2014, 03:39 AM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav3rick07 View Post
We need to play the Avalanche more often. I don't think there's a fan-base on these message boards that I dislike more than Colorado's. The way they talk about Landeskog and MacKinnon, you would swear they're both leading the league in points, even though neither of them has more points than Hall...

I would kill to see Scrivens shut down their offence.
This x 1000.

Colorado is quickly becoming my most hated fan base on these boards. Pompous nerds, who despite having very high picks over the last few years, pretend as if they're not only #1 in the league, but have been there for decades.

Old
03-07-2014, 03:45 AM
Mav3rick07
Hall-Hopkins-Yakupov

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
This x 1000.

Colorado is quickly becoming my most hated fan base on these boards. Pompous nerds, who despite having very high picks over the last few years, pretend as if they're not only #1 in the league, but have been there for decades.
I've literally given up on trying to have normal conversations with them. They instantly throw cheap shots and turn it into an argument.

It's funny, because I expect to clash more-so with Vancouver and Calgary fans, but it always seems to be some dude with an Avalanche or Duchene avatar.

Old
03-07-2014, 08:48 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Fixed, no way we should be missing out on any of Reinhart, Bennett, or Ekblad if we pick top 3.
What's wrong with dal Colle? Also, I came on here a while back and was pumping Ehlers tires and everyone shot me down... I just can't win in here.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:40 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
yep id rather have a player full of fire that you have to turn down then have a player with eberles temperment and pray that one day he shows a little bit of care

Old
03-07-2014, 09:42 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 1324
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
This x 1000.

I disagree. I think you are painting a picture based on the comments of a hand full of posters. Just like others have done with Oilers posters, Canucks posters, ect. I know the loud and obnoxious ones (and every fan base has them) then to take up more of the spot light but they do not represent the majority of the fan base.

03-07-2014, 09:43 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
There does appear to be a correlation to players who get a lot of penalty minutes in junior and in the NHL, the three first skilled players I thought of who got a lot of penalties in junior but still fit into the offense first high skill category were Brule, Getzlaf, and Perry. Brule did seem to do a decent job of cutting down his penalties, but I think a lot of that is also just the reduced ice time he got and coaches tolerance level for taking penalties in a 3rd/4th line role. Getzlaf and Perry have maintained pretty high PIM's but given how good they are no one really cares a whole lot and the same might be true for Bennett. I have little doubt he will be able to reduce his PIM's as seemingly all of them do aside from your more hitting/ tough guy kind of players like Tom Wilson but Bennett even when toned down will probably be hovering around the 70 PIM mark on a 82 game season.

Edit: Looked up some D out of personal interest Dion Phaneuf maintained high PIM's but Jack Johnson has shrunk his PIMs considerably.
he also cut down his intensity and effort on the ice, im not saying it is corelated but it can be partially

Old
03-07-2014, 09:51 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
If Ekblad is off the table and we can't get any decent offers for the pick, and we take one of those forwards. I really, really hope we trade Eberle in the offseason. Gagner too if we don't move him at the draft.
exactly how i feel as well, this is the most logical way of going about it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
I'm wondering what the thought process is behind wanting to trade Eberle?
emotionless player, puts up good amount of points in bunches so he has great value as an asset. could be packaged with a good prospect to bring in a top 2dman that isnt a rookie.

if we cant get ekblad our ideal offseason should go like this

draft Bennet or Reinhart
sign stasny
trade Eberle + klefbom for a top 2 Dman
trade gagner

Old
03-07-2014, 10:07 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
What's wrong with dal Colle? Also, I came on here a while back and was pumping Ehlers tires and everyone shot me down... I just can't win in here.
If the Oilers are intent on taking a winger if the top 3 are off the board, they desperately need a power forward so my preference would be Ritchie or even Virtanen over Dal Colle even if Dal Colle has bit of a higher offensive upside.

I think they take Draisaitl anyway if the top 3 are off the board, maybe even over Bennett since it seems like they have been scouting Draisaitl a lot more than Bennett.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
yep id rather have a player full of fire that you have to turn down then have a player with eberles temperment and pray that one day he shows a little bit of care
Just because Bennett plays a more abrasive style doesn't mean that he cares more than Reinhart.
Do you think that Mike Richards wants to win more than Bergeron or Toews?
There's some serious misconceptions about Reinhart in this thread.

Last edited by CupofOil: 03-07-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old
03-07-2014, 10:36 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
exactly how i feel as well, this is the most logical way of going about it as well.

emotionless player, puts up good amount of points in bunches so he has great value as an asset. could be packaged with a good prospect to bring in a top 2dman that isnt a rookie.

if we cant get ekblad our ideal offseason should go like this

draft Bennet or Reinhart
sign stasny
trade Eberle + klefbom for a top 2 Dman
trade gagner
Agreed.

Eberle has more value in a trade than he does on the team. He could net like a Hamonic or Alzner, IMO.

Old
03-07-2014, 10:51 AM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
If the Oilers are intent on taking a winger if the top 3 are off the board, they desperately need a power forward so my preference would be Ritchie or even Virtanen over Dal Colle even if Dal Colle has bit of a higher offensive upside.

I think they take Draisaitl anyway if the top 3 are off the board, maybe even over Bennett since it seems like they have been scouting Draisaitl a lot more than Bennett.

Just because Bennett plays a more abrasive style doesn't mean that he cares more than Reinhart.
Do you think that Mike Richards wants to win more than Bergeron or Toews?
There's some serious misconceptions about Reinhart in this thread.
I clearly seperated BPA from the Oilers need. I don't know why Dal Colle would be left off other teams list. Sure he isn't a fit here but he's a damn good player. The same is true for Ehlers.

Old
03-07-2014, 11:12 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Nothing wrong with Dal Colle, all the guys from 4-10 are pretty equal skill wise from what i've been hearing/seeing, could interchange any of them at 4-5 and still have a BPA list. No matter how you look at it though Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad are the big 3, then a drop off.

Old
03-07-2014, 01:00 PM
dasivon

Last night was the Oilers season in a nutshell, and really their last few years.

Screw up so badly from the beginning that you are so far out of the playoff race.

Then get on a run at the end of the season which means absolutely nothing except you climb the standings which does absolutely no good.

And it's Sam Gagner making the play for the GWG.

Where was this before? And before anyone says well he had a fractured jaw, this happens every year.

Have everything to play for, and you play like ****. Have nothing to play for (your hole is dug and draft position is everything), and you play to win.

Makes no sense.

Closed Thread