HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2014, 01:50 PM
ponokanocker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasivon View Post
Last night was the Oilers season in a nutshell, and really their last few years.

Screw up so badly from the beginning that you are so far out of the playoff race.

Then get on a run at the end of the season which means absolutely nothing except you climb the standings which does absolutely no good.

And it's Sam Gagner making the play for the GWG.

Where was this before? And before anyone says well he had a fractured jaw, this happens every year.

Have everything to play for, and you play like ****. Have nothing to play for (your hole is dug and draft position is everything), and you play to win.

Makes no sense.
I'm not sure what you are talking about. We were in a playoff spot for a little while last season, starting 4-2-1. Then the wheels fell off and we finished 7th last, posting our worst winning percentage in the last month of the year. 2010 to 2012 we picked 1st overall, so I don't know why there is any reason to complain about those years.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:17 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Nothing wrong with Dal Colle, all the guys from 4-10 are pretty equal skill wise from what i've been hearing/seeing, could interchange any of them at 4-5 and still have a BPA list. No matter how you look at it though Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad are the big 3, then a drop off.
I agree that we have a top three but Dal Colle is really really close IMO. He's still on the cusp but he is currently third in OHL scoring and is on a team that hasn't scored as much as the Frotenacs. He is also has some size to him. I could even see a team like Florida taking him if Ekblad is gone.

Old
03-07-2014, 02:17 PM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasivon View Post
Last night was the Oilers season in a nutshell, and really their last few years.

Screw up so badly from the beginning that you are so far out of the playoff race.

Then get on a run at the end of the season which means absolutely nothing except you climb the standings which does absolutely no good.

And it's Sam Gagner making the play for the GWG.

Where was this before? And before anyone says well he had a fractured jaw, this happens every year.

Have everything to play for, and you play like ****. Have nothing to play for (your hole is dug and draft position is everything), and you play to win.

Makes no sense.
you're right....winning sucks

these losers need to lose like always

Old
03-07-2014, 02:26 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Anyone have any info on Fleury? First person scouting? Camannn
My buddy lives down in Red Deer and has said he really likes him, no real specifics as to why exactly. Seems like he's just a good two way guy, doesn't do much wrong.

Old
03-07-2014, 04:35 PM
dasivon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
you're right....winning sucks

these losers need to lose like always
Haha they just never seem to win when it matters but turn on the jets when the season is lost.

Old
03-07-2014, 06:12 PM
ExOilerFan

vCash: 50
Next 4 games: LA, Minnesota, St.Louis, Detroit
I don't think we have to worry about leapfrogging teams...

Old
03-07-2014, 07:35 PM
Roof Daddy

Well, that's a bit of a letdown. Tune in to the Oshawa vs Kingston game and find out Bennett is suspended indefinitely for cross checking someone from the Pete's right in the teeth.

Watching Lawson Crouse closely though. Projected as a late 1st rder next year. 6'3 200lbs is pretty big for a 16 yr old. Plays fairly physical. Choppy first step but decent top end.

Old
03-07-2014, 08:12 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
Well, that's a bit of a letdown. Tune in to the Oshawa vs Kingston game and find out Bennett is suspended indefinitely for cross checking someone from the Pete's right in the teeth.

Watching Lawson Crouse closely though. Projected as a late 1st rder next year. 6'3 200lbs is pretty big for a 16 yr old. Plays fairly physical. Choppy first step but decent top end.

Here's a really good write up from a Peterbourough writer on his game last night.
http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...od-for-oilers/

Quote:
Beyond the physical play, Bennett also showed why he’s among the PIM leaders in the OHL. In the third he delivered a pretty good two-hander to a Petes defender after getting some unwanted attention. It came just after he’d sent out a beautiful backhanded saucer pass for another Kingston chance. He came out of the box and proceeded to draw a tripping penalty after he drove hard to the net to create another prime scoring opportunity. Also in the third, he took a hit along the boards, didn’t like it, and proceeded to deliver a cross check to the face of the Petes’ Seymour. He received a 4-minute double minor for high sticking. It was after this penalty that he had his best shot on goal as he came right out of the box, carried the puck into the Peterborough zone and ripped a wrister that D’Agostini was able to stop.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:26 PM
armandh01

Heres hoping Florida wins tonight to give us some breathing room and Calgary.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Lindo

Draisaitl up to 95 points in 59 games. I wonder if Edmonton can't pick Ekblad, if they go for him. He'd certainly fit the bill of big centre.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:44 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Draisaitl up to 95 points in 59 games. I wonder if Edmonton can't pick Ekblad, if they go for him. He'd certainly fit the bill of big centre.

I have to think he is #4 on Edmonton's list after Ekblad, Rienhart and Bennet. He would be great here for sure.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:50 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I have to think he is #4 on Edmonton's list after Ekblad, Rienhart and Bennet. He would be great here for sure.
I wonder about Bennett vs Draisaitl. Ultimately I think you're right that they have him 3rd just by the style he plays. Draisaitl may be bigger but Bennett seems to play 'bigger'. I went to the OHL site to see if he was playing tonight and low and behold he was suspended.

I still think they'll pick 3rd or 4th and miss out on Ekblad. Although, I would be more than happy with either of Benett or Draisaitl at #3 or #4.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:52 PM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
I wonder about Bennett vs Draisaitl. Ultimately I think you're right that they have him 3rd just by the style he plays. Draisaitl may be bigger but Bennett seems to play 'bigger'. I went to the OHL site to see if he was playing tonight and low and behold he was suspended.

I still think they'll pick 3rd or 4th and miss out on Ekblad. I would be more than happy with either of Benett or Draisaitl at #3 or #4.
Ya, alot of people are exited about Bennett for that reason, but I wonder if he isn't too aggressive. Seems like he loses his temper a lot...... I like a pysical player but not a loose cannon.

Oh well. I would be happy to have him.

Old
03-07-2014, 09:53 PM
OnTheBrink

vCash: 114

up 1-0 Granlund with a nice one, he might turn into a top 9 player.

weird hoping Flames win.

Edit Jynx.

Last edited by OnTheBrink: 03-07-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old
03-07-2014, 11:59 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I was a little worried about Draisaitl only scoring PP points earlier in the season but he's really stepped it up in the last few weeks.

Old
03-08-2014, 12:27 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

@Bob_Stauffer
Leon Draisaitl (PA) and Jake Virtanen (CAL) went head-to-head tonight. Draisaitl 2-2-4 in 5-2 victory. Virtanen 2 goals…

...Draisaitl has 11-16-27 in the last 11 GP and has 37 more points than any other PA forward this season.

Old
03-08-2014, 02:12 AM
DousedInOil

If we grab Draisatl I would probably still leave him junior for at least another year. The kid can still work on his defensive side of the game and get accustomed to a full 82 game season.

Old
03-08-2014, 03:52 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Man, how many ****ing years away are these kids though, aside from Ekblad. It's Ekblad or bust IMO, they don't need another young, lanky skilled forward with potential. Only guy you'd look forward to is McDavid and he's not available. They need to make some drastic moves now, and get some ****ing capable defensemen, overpay with pics, prospects, live bodies, whatever... they can't just go on like this, it's shameful what's happening.

Old
03-08-2014, 04:41 AM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Man, how many ****ing years away are these kids though, aside from Ekblad. It's Ekblad or bust IMO, they don't need another young, lanky skilled forward with potential. Only guy you'd look forward to is McDavid and he's not available. They need to make some drastic moves now, and get some ****ing capable defensemen, overpay with pics, prospects, live bodies, whatever... they can't just go on like this, it's shameful what's happening.
Reinhart and Ekblad both look to be NHL ready right out of the box, everyone else could probably stand some more time honing their game at a lower level.

Old
03-08-2014, 05:19 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Reinhart and Ekblad both look to be NHL ready right out of the box, everyone else could probably stand some more time honing their game at a lower level.
And if we're completely honest, it might not be the worst thing in the world if we don't have a rookie on the NHL team next season from this draft.

Take a Bennett, send him back to junior and let his game flourish, and then let him break onto the team when he's ready.

03-08-2014, 11:40 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Ekblad isn't gonna solve the Oilers defense...sorry to burst your bubble
Even phenoms like Pietrangelo took a few years to develop and unless he Doughty 2.0 (which by all accounts he isn't) he is gonna take some time to become a top pairing guy
The oilers desperately need size up the middle too...at least a major upgrade on Gagner...Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl provide that in spades

Heck, all 3 are probably built better than RNH to compete with other NHLers (RNH is still too frail IMO)

Build up the middle and the D

Old
03-08-2014, 11:51 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Ya, alot of people are exited about Bennett for that reason, but I wonder if he isn't too aggressive. Seems like he loses his temper a lot...... I like a pysical player but not a loose cannon.

Oh well. I would be happy to have him.
We need a loose cannon in our room, a guy who wants to win and will call other guys out. Can you imagine if the boys were dogging it in practice against this guy. Bennett would go out there and cross check Eberle in the face and say get up you ***** and skate!! I want to win, *****!!!

Old
03-08-2014, 11:53 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt Biscuits View Post
Bennett's ready...

Old
03-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Cerebral

My current list looks like this:

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett

I'd be thrilled with any of those three. Not only are they solid players but they address issues with our team (top pairing defenceman with size, second line centreman). Neither of Bennett or Reinhart are big bruisers but they play different styles of games to RNH and would likely compliment him well.

However, I'm getting a little worried we'll end up picking 4th or 5th (either through winning a few more games or a team jumping up with a lottery win). What are peoples' thoughts on the players ranked closer to 4-7? From what I've seen so far, the interesting options are:

Draisatl
Virtanen
Ritchie
Dal Colle

I've seen Draisatl play a few games. At times, I've found he looks absolutely dominant but I've also seen him look incredibly lazy and disinterested.

The nice thing is that all four of those players bring size. Dal Colle worries me a little as he seems more like a pure scorer than a player who will use his size to change a game.

Any thoughts on who to select if the "big three" are gone? I'd be leaning towards Draisatl right now and that's especially true given our young depth on wing. At the same time, picturing a guy like Ritchie or Virtanen actually developing and playing on the wing with RNH makes me drool a little.

03-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Ekblad isn't gonna solve the Oilers defense...sorry to burst your bubble
Even phenoms like Pietrangelo took a few years to develop and unless he Doughty 2.0 (which by all accounts he isn't) he is gonna take some time to become a top pairing guy
The oilers desperately need size up the middle too...at least a major upgrade on Gagner...Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl provide that in spades

Heck, all 3 are probably built better than RNH to compete with other NHLers (RNH is still too frail IMO)

Build up the middle and the D
I never said Ekblad was going to be the saviour. My point is he's the best Dman of this draft class and he's got all the tools and physical attributes the Oilers so desperately need, therefore making him the ideal, automatic choice. Sure he probably won't come in right away and blow the doors off, but I'd be happy to wait a year or two as opposed to 3-5 for another forward. His top end is more valuable, more impactful than what the other guys have to offer IMO. That's all I meant.

Closed Thread