HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2014, 10:56 AM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

vCash: 500
I can understand the fear of having a d-man in the NHL right out of the draft, but I don't quite get the fear of forwards. Colorado sure sucked after adding an 18 year old to their 29th place team.

Say we draft Reinhart. Nothing wrong with MacT and Eakins putting him on the team, aslong as he isn't expected to contribute right away. Get a temporary fit for the 2c job, and let Reinhart play 3rd line wing, and transition to center, or up a line in game stretches that he appears to be 'on'.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:58 AM
Draekke
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
We need a loose cannon in our room, a guy who wants to win and will call other guys out. Can you imagine if the boys were dogging it in practice against this guy. Bennett would go out there and cross check Eberle in the face and say get up you ***** and skate!! I want to win, *****!!!
And that is the beginning of the story about how Sam Bennett never played one game for the oilers..

Old
03-08-2014, 11:04 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
And that is the beginning of the story about how Sam Bennett never played one game for the oilers..
Would definitely make a good tall tale, could say he flew into Edmonton to visit Katz and went down to Oiler's practice and thats what happened. He'd be a legend in Edmonton for bringing some accountability.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:07 AM
Draekke
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Would definitely make a good tall tale, could say he flew into Edmonton to visit Katz and went down to Oiler's practice and thats what happened. He'd be a legend in Edmonton for bringing some accountability.
Unless you are being sarcastic, or just very hyperbolic, we see the world in much different ways.

Pretty sure if anyone came and crosschecked one of our players in the face, they would never see the light of day in Edmonton, let alone be a legend.

Now, if he did that to Lowe....

Old
03-08-2014, 11:16 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draekke View Post
Unless you are being sarcastic, or just very hyperbolic, we see the world in much different ways.

Pretty sure if anyone came and crosschecked one of our players in the face, they would never see the light of day in Edmonton, let alone be a legend.

Now, if he did that to Lowe....
It's a joke, haha. I don't actually want him to come in here and cross check a player. Would be nice if someone came in though and called the boys out like Whitney did back in 2010.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:25 AM
Soundwave

I don't think the Oilers will be picking top 3 this year anyway. Scrivens will push them out I think, and our pillowy soft team will get all high on themselves winning a bunch of meaningless games down the stretch against teams resting for the playoffs. The Islanders will probably bomb it into the bottom 3 along with Buffalo and maybe Calgary.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Musashi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Man, how many ****ing years away are these kids though, aside from Ekblad. It's Ekblad or bust IMO, they don't need another young, lanky skilled forward with potential. Only guy you'd look forward to is McDavid and he's not available. They need to make some drastic moves now, and get some ****ing capable defensemen, overpay with pics, prospects, live bodies, whatever... they can't just go on like this, it's shameful what's happening.
Finally someone speaking some truth. I really like some of the prospects that are out there and some of them really have the potential to solve weaknesses on this team but we can't have guys like RNH trying to shelter an 18 year old rookie. We need to acquire pieces that can help shelter him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I can understand the fear of having a d-man in the NHL right out of the draft, but I don't quite get the fear of forwards. Colorado sure sucked after adding an 18 year old to their 29th place team.

Say we draft Reinhart. Nothing wrong with MacT and Eakins putting him on the team, aslong as he isn't expected to contribute right away. Get a temporary fit for the 2c job, and let Reinhart play 3rd line wing, and transition to center, or up a line in game stretches that he appears to be 'on'.
Colorados season was more of an anamoly last year mixed with the short schedule, injuries, sophomore slump to landeskog and oreilly holding out. They had the proper pieces to bring in a guy like mackinnon and give him a role as a top 9 winger where he could develop and be successful. Not try and force him to be a 2c behind a 20 year old and think success will come from that.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I don't think the Oilers will be picking top 3 this year anyway. Scrivens will push them out I think, and our pillowy soft team will get all high on themselves winning a bunch of meaningless games down the stretch against teams resting for the playoffs. The Islanders will probably bomb it into the bottom 3 along with Buffalo and maybe Calgary.
They will. Look at the schedule. Particularly the last 10 games.

I haven't seen any of these guys play but based on reading reports Bennett is the guy this team needs. "Mike Richards with more offense"? **** yes.

Old
03-08-2014, 12:09 PM
BarDownBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
My current list looks like this:

1. Ekblad
2. Reinhart
3. Bennett

I'd be thrilled with any of those three. Not only are they solid players but they address issues with our team (top pairing defenceman with size, second line centreman). Neither of Bennett or Reinhart are big bruisers but they play different styles of games to RNH and would likely compliment him well.

However, I'm getting a little worried we'll end up picking 4th or 5th (either through winning a few more games or a team jumping up with a lottery win). What are peoples' thoughts on the players ranked closer to 4-7? From what I've seen so far, the interesting options are:

Draisatl
Virtanen
Ritchie
Dal Colle

I've seen Draisatl play a few games. At times, I've found he looks absolutely dominant but I've also seen him look incredibly lazy and disinterested.

The nice thing is that all four of those players bring size. Dal Colle worries me a little as he seems more like a pure scorer than a player who will use his size to change a game.

Any thoughts on who to select if the "big three" are gone? I'd be leaning towards Draisatl right now and that's especially true given our young depth on wing. At the same time, picturing a guy like Ritchie or Virtanen actually developing and playing on the wing with RNH makes me drool a little.
If they end up picking at 5, which would be the lowest I see possible with a team winning the lottery from below them, Fleury should enter into the conversation.

Old
03-08-2014, 12:30 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
If they end up picking at 5, which would be the lowest I see possible with a team winning the lottery from below them, Fleury should enter into the conversation.
Anyone got any info on Fleury? I wouldnt mind reaching for him at 4 based on what I've read seen of him.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:41 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Ekblad isn't gonna solve the Oilers defense...sorry to burst your bubble
Even phenoms like Pietrangelo took a few years to develop and unless he Doughty 2.0 (which by all accounts he isn't) he is gonna take some time to become a top pairing guy
The oilers desperately need size up the middle too...at least a major upgrade on Gagner...Reinhart, Bennett and Draisaitl provide that in spades

Heck, all 3 are probably built better than RNH to compete with other NHLers (RNH is still too frail IMO)

Build up the middle and the D

Where the **** are we going to get some D? They're rarer than centers. We've been crying for defensemen for years and if we whiff on the chance to draft one, that'll say enough about this organization.

We're not signing a top pairing D. We're likely not going to get one via trade either. The Blackhawks won the Cup last year because of their depth in D, even as Crawford struggled. We. Need. Defensemen.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Oil In My Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Where the **** are we going to get some D? They're rarer than centers. We've been crying for defensemen for years and if we whiff on the chance to draft one, that'll say enough about this organization.

We're not signing a top pairing D. We're likely not going to get one via trade either. The Blackhawks won the Cup last year because of their depth in D, even as Crawford struggled. We. Need. Defensemen.
Therein lies the problem. Drafting Ekblad will help us down the road but if we want any help next season is HAS to come via trade or free agency, there's no other options.

Expecting all the help to come from within next season pretty much guarantees us a shot at MacDavid next year IMO.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:53 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Therein lies the problem. Drafting Ekblad will help us down the road but if we want any help next season is HAS to come via trade or free agency, there's no other options.

Expecting all the help to come from within next season pretty much guarantees us a shot at MacDavid next year IMO.
And therein lies the fix to our center problem. Draft Ekblad, suck and then draft McDavid.

Old
03-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Yeah15
2nd Tier Fan

Quote:
And therein lies the fix to our center problem. Draft Ekblad, suck and then draft McDavid.
If we aren't at least close to the playoffs by next season's end, I'll blow my brains out. The guys on this team will never win in the NHL if they're still a 30th place team in a year from now.

Old
03-08-2014, 02:01 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
It ain't gonna happen.The Oilers are on the verge of a 10-game winning streak, which will remove them from drafting Aaron Ekblad.Then, next year,the Edmonton Oilers will will be in line to draft Connor McDavid, and then towards the end, will go on another streak to remove themselves from drafting McDavid.

Old
03-08-2014, 02:03 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post

And there in lies the problem, not a lot available in free agency. I say trade Nuge for a top pairing dman under 30 then take Reinhart or Bennett. Our offence takes a bit of a hit but it won't matter because our D will be vastly improved.

If we want the rebuild to take another 4-5 years take Ekblad or Fleury depending where we pick. With next year's pick take another big center. Then by the time they mature in 2018 we should be just about ready to push for the playoffs.

Old
03-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Mr Positive
Four-NinetySeven-Ten

vCash: 1750
Quote:
And there in lies the problem, not a lot available in free agency. I say trade Nuge for a top pairing dman under 30 then take Reinhart or Bennett. Our offence takes a bit of a hit but it won't matter because our D will be vastly improved.

If we want the rebuild to take another 4-5 years take Ekblad or Fleury depending where we pick. With next year's pick take another big center. Then by the time they mature in 2018 we should be just about ready to push for the playoffs.
Even though we are low in the standings, destroying the chemistry and development of our forward group is not worth getting that 1D we need. 1C is a critical position. Reinhart won't be ready to be a top six center for a couple of years, much less a 1C. Even Crosby started on the wing, and Reinhart is not even a clear-cut 1C prospect.

Our D is a mess right now, but there's a lot of promising young players there. They will improve every year. Schultz was an amazing signing for us. We don't need a Pronger. We need a solid group of guys who can move the puck to our forwards. We will be starting next season with two solid goalies.

Maybe this means settling for a .500 finish for next season, but patience will pay off for us. Our prospect pool is too deep in D for it not too.

I would even draft Ekblad if we could, and keep both him and Nurse down another year. If Ekblad is not available, then get that 2C with size with the pick. Or trade the pick.

In the meantime we can still look at what's out there for us. We can speed up this rebuild with a good signing or trade.

Old
03-08-2014, 05:46 PM
rockinghockey

We are deep at the dman position for prospects but they are all left shooting dmen. We need some right shooting dmen in there also. Maybe we can find a few right shooting dmen later on in the draft. I know everyone likes Bennett it seems because he plays big but when you have a small team like we do we need a 2C with size. You need someone that can contain the big players and even though Bennett plays gritty he will not be able to contain the big bodies. If we drop out of the top 3 I would be happy to get the big German kid Dri.

Lets remember also is that they are talking that the cap might be at 68mil because of the Canadian dollar.

Old
03-08-2014, 05:53 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
It ain't gonna happen.The Oilers are on the verge of a 10-game winning streak, which will remove them from drafting Aaron Ekblad.Then, next year,the Edmonton Oilers will will be in line to draft Connor McDavid, and then towards the end, will go on another streak to remove themselves from drafting McDavid.
Maybe you should look at our next 10 games in the schedule and tell me how we'll get on a 10 game win streak. I predict we win about 5 more games if were lucky.

Old
03-08-2014, 05:56 PM
armandh01

Quote:

Why would you trade from a position of weakness? How do you figure that wouldn't set us back? Ridiculous idea.

A winger goes first.

Old
03-08-2014, 05:56 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Maybe you should look at our next 10 games in the schedule and tell me how we'll get on a 10 game win streak. I predict we win about 5 more games if were lucky.
Ben Scrivens.

Old
03-08-2014, 05:59 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Ben Scrivens.
Scrivens doesnt save us from LA, Anaheim, St. Louis etc etc.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:04 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
We are deep at the dman position for prospects but they are all left shooting dmen. We need some right shooting dmen in there also. Maybe we can find a few right shooting dmen later on in the draft. I know everyone likes Bennett it seems because he plays big but when you have a small team like we do we need a 2C with size. You need someone that can contain the big players and even though Bennett plays gritty he will not be able to contain the big bodies. If we drop out of the top 3 I would be happy to get the big German kid Dri.

Lets remember also is that they are talking that the cap might be at 68mil because of the Canadian dollar.
This oft repeated canard is false. The likes of Mike Richards and O'Reilly have no problem containing "big bodies". The Av's top 6 forwards are all the same size as ours. They just play with balls.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:11 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Scrivens doesnt save us from LA, Anaheim, St. Louis etc etc.
He proved that he can win on his own versus San Jose.So I do believe he can do it on his own against those three teams.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:16 PM
armandh01

Quote:
He proved that he can win on his own versus San Jose.So I do believe he can do it on his own against those three teams.
Sure I suppose if you accept anomalies as the norm.

Closed Thread