HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2014, 06:20 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Sure I suppose if you accept anomalies as the norm.
Hey,that's what they said about Kipper before he proved to be a solid number 1 Goaltender.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:26 PM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
It ain't gonna happen.The Oilers are on the verge of a 10-game winning streak, which will remove them from drafting Aaron Ekblad.Then, next year,the Edmonton Oilers will will be in line to draft Connor McDavid, and then towards the end, will go on another streak to remove themselves from drafting McDavid.
Have you been watching this team? I'll be shocked if we win more than 2 of our last 10.

Scrivens has been great, but this team is horrible. Stealing a game with great goaltending happens from time to time, but 10 games in a row (because we will be outshot and outplayed in all those games)?

I will eat a poop taco if this happens.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:35 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Hey,that's what they said about Kipper before he proved to be a solid number 1 Goaltender.
He'll play fine, we just aren't going to win. We barely squeaked by the NYI.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:40 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
This oft repeated canard is false. The likes of Mike Richards and O'Reilly have no problem containing "big bodies". The Av's top 6 forwards are all the same size as ours. They just play with balls.
LA has a centre man with size in Kopitar also. Both LA and COL has some players that play on the wing with some size and grit we don't have that in EDM. If we go with Bennett we will have to move Eberle and Yak as we will need more size on the wing to contain the bigger teams. Bennett does have the chance to put an inch or two on as he is still pretty young though. Yes, we need players with grit but we also need players with size to contain the big players in front on the net and while battling for the puck. There is a huge difference playing with boys and playing with men.

Old
03-08-2014, 06:40 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
He'll play fine, we just aren't going to win. We barely squeaked by the NYI.
I have to admit that I wanted the Oilers to lose that one.

Old
03-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
LA has a centre man with size in Kopitar also. Both LA and COL has some players that play on the wing with some size and grit we don't have that in EDM. If we go with Bennett we will have to move Eberle and Yak as we will need more size on the wing to contain the bigger teams. Bennett does have the chance to put an inch or two on as he is still pretty young though. Yes, we need players with grit but we also need players with size to contain the big players in front on the net and while battling for the puck. There is a huge difference playing with boys and playing with men.
The Av's have no such player that I see. Duchene, Landeskog, McKinnon, Stasny, Parenteau, O'Reilly, all around 6 feet.Landeskog is the tallest at 6'1, Duchene is 5'11. Size is totally overrated. These guys commit to playing at both ends of the ice. Bennett is 6'0, that is more than fine.

Old
03-08-2014, 07:05 PM
rockinghockey

Quote:
The Av's have no such player that I see. Duchene, Landeskog, McKinnon, Stasny, Parenteau, O'Reilly, all around 6 feet.Landeskog is the tallest at 6'1, Duchene is 5'11. Size is totally overrated. These guys commit to playing at both ends of the ice. Bennett is 6'0, that is more than fine.
The difference is the wingers that we have are not the gritty type and win battles along the boards. COL's wingers are grittier and win battles along the boards. When it all comes down to it Bennett will be about 6"1" 205lbs like Hall is now so it is just if the make up is good enough.

Old
03-08-2014, 09:06 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

The difference is that the Avs players play hard. Something we have yet to see from our superstars.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:29 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Draisaitl now tied with Reinhart for points. Gwg tonight.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:35 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
Even though we are low in the standings, destroying the chemistry and development of our forward group is not worth getting that 1D we need. 1C is a critical position. Reinhart won't be ready to be a top six center for a couple of years, much less a 1C. Even Crosby started on the wing, and Reinhart is not even a clear-cut 1C prospect.

Our D is a mess right now, but there's a lot of promising young players there. They will improve every year. Schultz was an amazing signing for us. We don't need a Pronger. We need a solid group of guys who can move the puck to our forwards. We will be starting next season with two solid goalies.

Maybe this means settling for a .500 finish for next season, but patience will pay off for us. Our prospect pool is too deep in D for it not too.

I would even draft Ekblad if we could, and keep both him and Nurse down another year. If Ekblad is not available, then get that 2C with size with the pick. Or trade the pick.

In the meantime we can still look at what's out there for us. We can speed up this rebuild with a good signing or trade.
Not sure if your kidding or not but Reinhart has looked better this year then Nuge ever looked in his WHL Season. Reinhart will step into the league much like Couturier did and play solid defensively while contributing 30-40 points IMO. Within 2 years I could see Reinhart being better then RNH which is troubling.

Old
03-08-2014, 10:44 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Not sure if your kidding or not but Reinhart has looked better this year then Nuge ever looked in his WHL Season. Reinhart will step into the league much like Couturier did and play solid defensively while contributing 30-40 points IMO. Within 2 years I could see Reinhart being better then RNH which is troubling.
So he's going to step into the league and play similar to RNH, but not score anywhere near as much? How do you figure that comment is helping your argument? RNH had 52 points in 62 games, while playing a good 2 way game. You are seriously underrating how good he is

03-08-2014, 11:08 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
So he's going to step into the league and play similar to RNH, but not score anywhere near as much? How do you figure that comment is helping your argument? RNH had 52 points in 62 games, while playing a good 2 way game. You are seriously underrating how good he is
RNH was also sheltered that year and played with Hall and Eberle.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:55 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
RNH got a lot of powerplay points, I don't see Reinhart getting the PP push to match the kind of numbers that RNH put up, but I too believe Reinhart would be more ready for the NHL game on year 1 than RNH was. Reinhart is a very heady player, same could be said for RNH ofcourse, but I see the defensive side coming more naturally to Reinhart and he's more physically ready.

Old
03-08-2014, 11:58 PM
LTIR

vCash: 638
Not a good day for the tank watch...
CGY, NSH, CAR and WPG all with losses tonight..

Old
03-09-2014, 12:03 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I think he'll step into the league pretty seamlessly and do very well similar to Monahan.
He likely won't put up a lot of points right away but his play away from the puck is far superior to RNH's at the same age. I could see him being on the PK in his rookie season and doing well on it.

Old
03-09-2014, 12:04 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTIR View Post
Not a good day for the tank watch...
CGY, NSH, CAR and WPG all with losses tonight..
The Oilers aren't catching Nashville, Carolina or Winnipeg. No worries there.
The easy portion of their schedule is coming to an end. Lots of heavy hitters jockeying for playoff position coming up.

Old
03-09-2014, 02:51 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Odds are right now pointing to a 29th place finish for the Oilers.. and again statistically the odds are that they likely pick #3 if they finish 29th... and again odds are that Reinhart/Ekblad are both off the board when they pick #3.... leaving Bennett/Draisaitl as their likely choices at that point.

I am starting to think they might lean towards Draisaitl... Bennett might be viewed as too much of a loose cannon (I don't neccessarily think it's a negative but the Oilers "brain trust" might.)

If I had to bet I'd say Draisaitl would be their pick.

Old
03-09-2014, 03:41 PM
doubledown99

Scouts dish on the top prospects:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/junio...014-nhl-draft/

Old
03-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Pablo Aimar

Leon Draisaitl (WHL, Price Albert)

"In terms of his commitment, willingness to go into traffic and take a hit to make a play, he’s not there for me yet."

Another scout who was crossing over from Ontario was even more damning: “I would have trouble taking him. I don’t think he’s made the transition from the European game. Too soft. Not that I say that about all European players—I give him points for going to the Dub. But I wouldn’t want to draft him and hope that he changes. Other guys are already there.” Trending down, but in doing that scouts will be watching him even more closely in the last weeks of the season."

But...I thought size = grit/toughness?

Old
03-09-2014, 04:00 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Leon Draisaitl (WHL, Price Albert)

"In terms of his commitment, willingness to go into traffic and take a hit to make a play, he’s not there for me yet."

Another scout who was crossing over from Ontario was even more damning: “I would have trouble taking him. I don’t think he’s made the transition from the European game. Too soft. Not that I say that about all European players—I give him points for going to the Dub. But I wouldn’t want to draft him and hope that he changes. Other guys are already there.” Trending down, but in doing that scouts will be watching him even more closely in the last weeks of the season."

But...I thought size = grit/toughness?
We all know size does not equal grit and toughness... too many examples of soft big players and small gritty players to make such black and white statements.

I think the Oilers are addicted to skill and they make all their top picks based on pure skill 1st... which is logical up to a point... but it's also why they have a roster composed of so many similar players now.

A Ritchie/Virtanen type would be a good compliment to what they already have... as would a Bennett really (may be the best of both worlds) .

Personally I'm just not sure they can look past a highly skilled guy like Draisaitl... he seems to be the type of player they would take.

Old
03-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
We all know size does not equal grit and toughness... too many examples of soft big players and small gritty players to make such black and white statements.

I think the Oilers are addicted to skill and they make all their top picks based on pure skill 1st... which is logical up to a point... but it's also why they have a roster composed of so many similar players now.

A Ritchie/Virtanen type would be a good compliment to what they already have... as would a Bennett really (may be the best of both worlds) .

Personally I'm just not sure they can look past a highly skilled guy like Draisaitl... he seems to be the type of player they would take.
You and I may know that but from reading the various draft/trade proposals it seems many others do not.

Darisaitl does seem like an Oilers pick and he may be the right one. I haven't seen any of these players, only read about them. And from reading it seems Bennett is the obvious pick: skill, grit, high compete level, and a Centre. But I am certainly no expert.

Old
03-09-2014, 05:24 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

I have been putting Perlini down in the past as a guy to draft if we don't pick top 3, but I'm starting to like him. We were horrible in the month that he was out and he has given us life again. Today I watched him score with an NHL level slapshot from near the blueline. His shot and playmaking ability keep improving.

My biggest argument against him was that he wasn't physical enough. Today he took down Ekblad, and had some other big hits, and was a huge factor in our 5-2 upset win as we push for the playoffs.

Old
03-09-2014, 05:33 PM
ChaoticOrange

I'm mentally preparing myself for the eventuality that we miss out on Ekblad.

We have 11 home games and 7 road games left, some pretty tough ones as well, but Buffalo is absolutely gutted and the Islanders are freefalling.

Dellow posted the other day that the Oilers have something like a 40% chance of drafting 3rd, 25% at 2nd and 18% 1st - or something close to that.

I think we end up with Bennett, which I am 100% good with. Love the scouting report on this kid.

Old
03-09-2014, 05:58 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoticOrange View Post
I'm mentally preparing myself for the eventuality that we miss out on Ekblad.

We have 11 home games and 7 road games left, some pretty tough ones as well, but Buffalo is absolutely gutted and the Islanders are freefalling.

Dellow posted the other day that the Oilers have something like a 40% chance of drafting 3rd, 25% at 2nd and 18% 1st - or something close to that.

I think we end up with Bennett, which I am 100% good with. Love the scouting report on this kid.
I agree, I think NYI get Ekblad, and we settle for either Bennett or Draisaitl.

Old
03-09-2014, 06:00 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 1439
My preferred picks, in order:

1.Ekblad
2.Bennett
3. Trade the pick if there's a good deal out there
4. Reinhart

Closed Thread