HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2014, 01:15 AM
MIL OIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They will package the pick (probably with Gagner) for Tyler Myers IMO if it's not one of the top 3. Buffalo will bite as they're probably going to get Ekblad 1st overall anyway. I can see something like that happening.
Oilers Trade Gagner and a likely top 5 pick for Tyler Myers....

Hell i'll take my chances with Dal Colle, Draisaitl, or Fleury.. all three have the potential to be better then Myers. Could Not see Mac T trading a top end prospect and number 2 center for Myers.

Old
03-12-2014, 01:34 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
They will package the pick (probably with Gagner) for Tyler Myers IMO if it's not one of the top 3. Buffalo will bite as they're probably going to get Ekblad 1st overall anyway. I can see something like that happening.
There is no way the Oil make that trade.

I would gamble a bit though, what about this:

To EDM
Myers
BUF 2015 conditional 1st (Becomes 2nd if Oil make playoffs)

To BUF
EDM 2014 1st
Gagner

BUF gets two top 5 picks this year. We get some insurance if we have another fail of a season to clear out management and provide the new staff with two top 15, lottery picks (assuming both teams miss the playoffs) in a strong draft that includes McDavid.

If we finish 29th and BUF wins the lottery, Rienhart and Ekblad would be hard for them to turn down at this stage of their rebuild.

Good for us? Good for them?

Old
03-12-2014, 01:36 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post

To EDM
Myers

To BUF
EDM 2014 1st
Gagner

BUF gets two top 5 picks this year. We get some insurance if we have another fail of a season to clear out management and provide the new staff with two top 15, lottery picks (assuming both teams miss the playoffs) in a strong draft that includes McDavid.

If we finish 29th and BUF wins the lottery, Rienhart and Ekblad would be hard for them to turn down at this stage of their rebuild.

I think it would probably be something like Myers + Grigorenko coming back to the Oilers maybe like Gagner + Draistl (no.4 OV) + Musil going back the other way. As I recall Grigorenko had a really good interview with the Oilers in his draft year and has played with Yakupov.

No way is Buffalo giving us a 2015 1st.

Old
03-12-2014, 01:38 AM
New dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdub View Post

To EDM
Myers

To BUF
EDM 2014 1st
Gagner

Old
03-12-2014, 01:40 AM
dnicks17

vCash: 1115
Buffalo is purposely dismantling their team because they'll have a good shot at McDavid next year.

They aren't trading their 2015 1st.

Old
03-12-2014, 01:53 AM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL OIL View Post
Oilers Trade Gagner and a likely top 5 pick for Tyler Myers....

Hell i'll take my chances with Dal Colle, Draisaitl, or Fleury.. all three have the potential to be better then Myers. Could Not see Mac T trading a top end prospect and number 2 center for Myers.
I agree, doesn't make sense from a cap point of view to add Myers when they could still fill a need with one of the available forwards at less than a 3rd of the cap hit. Myers makes 5.5 million and say the player they draft makes what Lindholm is getting (1.775 AAV w/ topped out bonuses) there's more value in keeping the pick for that player than spending the 5.5 million on a mediocre top pairing guy. If MacT waits he should be able to take advantage of a team that was expecting the cap to rise to 71 million instead of the 68 million it is now projected at. A few teams will likely need to offload a contract and maybe he can get a comparable defenseman like he did with Perron.

Old
03-12-2014, 01:55 AM
MIL OIL

For me Myers doesn't help us the way we need to be helped on the back end. Yes he's a top 4 guy but if we our trading a top 5 pick and our only other center.. to me that's working in reverse. Yes now we have a stronger d core but now we still lack a clear number one d man and have no number 2 center.. Myers isn't the answer on the back end. And not at the cost of a potential star player.

Old
03-12-2014, 03:57 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Buffalo is purposely dismantling their team because they'll have a good shot at McDavid next year.

They aren't trading their 2015 1st.
Watches as McDavid is the next Alex Daigle.

It's exactly like what the Sens did with Daigle.They were even accused of purposely tanking for Alex Daigle.

Old
03-12-2014, 04:17 AM
yukoner88

vCash: 350
How has Draisaitl been playing lately?

Old
03-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Mozesmadness
CANADA

If we draft Draisaitl is he able to play for the Barons right away because he's an import, or does he have to be in NHL or back to CHL.

Old
03-12-2014, 08:07 AM
oilerfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozesmadness View Post
If we draft Draisaitl is he able to play for the Barons right away because he's an import, or does he have to be in NHL or back to CHL.
It's NHL or CHL. The "wait until 20 for AHL" rule applies to Canadian major junior players across the board, regardless if they're an import. Yak also couldn't go to the AHL.

Old
03-12-2014, 09:55 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
I'd say there's virtually no chance of that happening.
IMO, Draisaitl is one of their prime targets since they have been scouting him a ton and with Stauffer pumping his tires constantly so with the likelihood that Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett go 1-3, they could very well have a shot at Draisaitl at 4 or even 5 since I could see Florida taking Dal Colle if they jump the Oilers.

Old
03-12-2014, 10:43 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey71 View Post
Ah yes, the stat that is far and away the worst stat to judge anything. Lets look at some of the other Soo players and their +/-. Ganly is +33 and there is nobody on this planet that will suggest he is as good defensively as Nurse is. Gaudet is a good defensive center, but is not 5 times as good as McCann is. I could go on and on with the Soo roster since there are more examples. The only - that you could say makes sense is Sergei Tolchinsky, as he is horrible defensively as he sacrifices his defensive responsibilities to get more points.

There isn't one defenseman in Edmonton that a fan can feel good about being a mentor for the upcoming crop of D prospects in Marincin, Klefbom, Nurse and possibly Ekblad. For that reason, I hope Nurse spends another season in the Soo, not because I don't think he would be ready. None of these kids will be as ready as they have to be to handle the burden of play they will be forced to due to mismanagement in Edmonton. Hell, just keep watching this game tonight in Minnesota and tell me who would be good for any of the kids...
+/- is not a useless stat in junior, when taken in context. Nurse is playing against the top level guys every night and playing 30 minutes a game correct? And he's staying right around 0+/-? Well judging by that he may be ready for bottom pairing duty in the NHL(which would likely ruin his offence). What I'm saying is that if we want him to come in and dominate theres a trend with all the defencemen who have, they've either A) been PPG dmen or B) Had great +/- against top level competition in junior. If he could dominate the top level guys in junior and come out ahead 5x5 then we'd have a really special d man.

Old
03-12-2014, 10:44 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I'd say there's virtually no chance of that happening.
IMO, Draisaitl is one of their prime targets since they have been scouting him a ton and with Stauffer pumping his tires constantly so with the likelihood that Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett go 1-3, they could very well have a shot at Draisaitl at 4 or even 5 since I could see Florida taking Dal Colle if they jump the Oilers.
Still think were better off trading any of RNH, Yakupov, or Eberle over the pick.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:09 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan17 View Post
It's NHL or CHL. The "wait until 20 for AHL" rule applies to Canadian major junior players across the board, regardless if they're an import. Yak also couldn't go to the AHL.
Unless they are NHL property before going to the CHL.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
How has Draisaitl been playing lately?
Back away from the Draisaitl.

Do not want.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:19 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats432 View Post
Back away from the Draisaitl.

Do not want.
why not?

Old
03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
djdub
#6cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
why not?
Because he would be the Oilers version of Grigorenko imo

Old
03-12-2014, 11:41 AM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i would take Ritchie, Virtanen, DalColle all ahead of Draisitl

Old
03-12-2014, 11:53 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
why not?
Good: Protecting puck, finding open space in the offensive zone, good shot.

Bad: Very poor on the back check, does a lot of floating around, not physical at all.

I saw him when he was one of the three stars in Edmonton when they beat the Oil Kings recently and thought he was poor(For what the Oilers need).

I would rather have Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Dal Colle, Perlini, Ritchie...I think I would take Draisaitl 7th...because he would be my BPA then.

Old
03-12-2014, 11:59 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

I think its between Fleury and Ritchie at 4 for me. Now that is based on what I read, I haven't been able to watch any propsects besides Bennett and Reinhart this year due to my busy schedule.

Old
03-12-2014, 12:02 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 6m
Among the tidbits to surface from gm mtngs is possibility of further change to Draft lottery. NHL will work on a proposal and report back...

curious...

Old
03-12-2014, 12:04 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Among the tidbits to surface from gm mtngs is possibility of further change to Draft lottery. NHL will work on a proposal and report back...

curious...
Hopefully equal chance for anyone who misses the playoffs to pick 1st. Would essentially stop tanking...

Old
03-12-2014, 12:19 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Hopefully equal chance for anyone who misses the playoffs to pick 1st. Would essentially stop tanking...
Would certainly make things more interesting. That said, Buffalo still has motivation to tank next year, as 2nd overall doesnt seem so bad...

Old
03-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Isaak16
The Universe Is Here

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post

curious...
No worries. They can't change the goal posts mid season, and going forward I'm going to assume it gives us a better chance at another high pick if we are a bubble team. Win win as an Oiler fan.

Closed Thread