HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Three Constants In Life: Death, Taxes and Oilers Draft Watch

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2014, 01:55 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 2458
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
the WJCs are a very bad way to judge draftees... even so, canada only has 3 returning players, which will obviously affect how many under-agers they take
Might be me-- but I look at the Ivan Holinka tourny at the same level as the juniors now-- some people over look that tourny for some reason

Old
01-02-2014, 02:02 PM
McDeathbyCheerios

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec28 View Post
This.

If management still has that pick by the time the Oilers are called to make their first selection of the draft, MacT will have failed miserably, imo. Now, I certainly wouldn't be sorry that the Oilers had someone like Ekblad in their system, but it will have been a gutless (non)move to hang on to a pick that would have substantial value as a tradable asset. As ever, though, the Oilers management will likely be seduced by the potential of their latest magic bean and instead hope they can address the glaringly obvious, chronic weaknesses by trading crap in a quantity for quality deal. The pick is a quality asset right now; pair it with another quality asset (Eberle?) and they could solve a lot of problems in a single transaction.
That's if a team is willing to give up something good for the draft pick and the player. Don't toss the draft pick just for something good. If a team doesn't see a player they want that's worth giving up what we need them there is nothing to do but keep the pick

Old
01-02-2014, 02:08 PM
nally

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
McDavid is the best player to come along since Crosby. It would be more than worth it. Thing is you arent guaranteed to get him. Even if you did miss out on McDavid, there's Jack Eichel and some other top level talent in that draft. The most foolish thing we could do at this point would be to trade next year's first. Also we arent tanking. This is coaching/management trying to win.

Scary stuff.
Agreed. Tanking=ineptness
No one is "trying" to lose

Old
01-02-2014, 02:54 PM
OF17

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaedrusDH View Post
I thought this write-up on the top OHL prospects was pretty well done, with good descriptions of Bennett and McKeown, whom I've seen plat a lot:
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014...entry.html?m=1

Good info on Bennett and Dal Colle, for those unfamiliar with them.
Excellent, thank you!

Old
01-02-2014, 03:33 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Wonder if Draisatl 's WJC performance will affect his draft ranking?

Old
01-02-2014, 07:33 PM
BarDownMcBobo

vCash: 512
Quote:
I'd also add that Bennett is really good battling along the boards (another Oilers weakness IMO). He doesn't have a lot of size, but generates strength well from his legs.

I agree with your strategy. Next year's pick should be in play, not this year's, unless it can be used in a package for a #1 D.
The 2015 draft is probably going to see so few first round picks traded due to the new open lottery. No GM is going to want to be the one who gives up Connor McDavid.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:18 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
I thought this write-up on the top OHL prospects was pretty well done, with good descriptions of Bennett and McKeown, whom I've seen plat a lot:
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014...entry.html?m=1

Good info on Bennett and Dal Colle, for those unfamiliar with them.
Brock on 'Oakleaf':
1. Aaron Ekblad - Defense - Barrie Colts

I think he has really cemented himself in this position with his play at the WJC's thus far. As a 17 year old, he's been Canada's best defenseman (at least IMO). I think he takes that confidence back to the OHL with him and has a monstrous second half.

Everyone knows about his ability defensively, but it's certain aspects of his offensive game that have impressed me most this year. In particular, his ability to get his point shot through to the net and his ability to control the point have really improved to the point where I think he has definite powerplay QB potential at the next level to go with his shutdown ability in his own end.

Future Oiler twin towers -- Nurse at LD and Ekblad at RD.

01-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Nurse and Ekblad would be pretty amazing to build around. I would hope they would also go out and get another veteran guy to help mentor them though.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:35 PM
phaedrusDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Brock on 'Oakleaf':
1. Aaron Ekblad - Defense - Barrie Colts

I think he has really cemented himself in this position with his play at the WJC's thus far. As a 17 year old, he's been Canada's best defenseman (at least IMO). I think he takes that confidence back to the OHL with him and has a monstrous second half.

Everyone knows about his ability defensively, but it's certain aspects of his offensive game that have impressed me most this year. In particular, his ability to get his point shot through to the net and his ability to control the point have really improved to the point where I think he has definite powerplay QB potential at the next level to go with his shutdown ability in his own end.

Future Oiler twin towers -- Nurse at LD and Ekblad at RD.
we can certainly hope so.

Old
01-26-2014, 12:22 AM
Bryanbryoil

I just updated the OP.

01-26-2014, 12:58 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
ah. destiny is close, can you feel it buffalo? that first overall pick slipping through those weary fingers. I didn't want it to be this way, but we couldnt have you get what is rightfully ours. Please understand.

-Edmonton Fans

Old
01-26-2014, 01:21 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I just updated the OP.
You shouldn't have. Our record over the past 11 games have been so disgusting that it makes me want to puke.

Old
02-02-2014, 12:08 AM
Bryanbryoil

Big game on Monday!

Old
02-02-2014, 12:47 AM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Big game on Monday!
I'd be shocked if we lost.

Buffalo is on a different level of suckage.

Old
02-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Connor McOilers
We have the precious

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
ah. destiny is close, can you feel it buffalo? that first overall pick slipping through those weary fingers. I didn't want it to be this way, but we couldnt have you get what is rightfully ours. Please understand.

-Edmonton Fans

I guess at this point we can't really do much else than assume the last place team is drafting first, but really it's quite a crap shoot with the new lottery odds. Last only gets you a 25% chance of drafting first, that alone would drive me crazy if we traded the pick before the lottery takes place.

Old
02-02-2014, 09:41 AM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Wonder if Draisatl 's WJC performance will affect his draft ranking?
I think he'll drop in the rankings because he looks like he's skating in wet cement. The WJC and top prospects game were simply platforms to see how poor his skating is. You watch him in the WHL were any individual team might only have 4-6 players with NHL calibre skating and he looks like he can control the play. But if you watched him in the aforementioned games against a more talented group, he was chasing the play constantly. Very ineffective. The fact that MacT mentioned him by name earlier in the year scares the hell out of me, and has me thinking we MUST pick first, otherwise we'll end up with this guy because he's a center with size. Bennett plays much bigger than this guy. Draisaitl is strong on the puck, good on the cycle, but if we think he's the answer to going head to head with Backes/Hanzal, we're going to be very disappointed.

End rant.

Old
02-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Tyrolean

I hate the changes in the draft lottery. They deliberately did that as a consequence of the Oilers having so many 1st overall picks. Why would you give a 14th worst team have the 1st pick anyway? Totally not fair.

Old
02-02-2014, 10:43 AM
armandh01

Just looked at the scores yesterday, Calgary beat Minnesota. Look good things do happen when you have a solid defense.

Old
02-02-2014, 10:57 AM
Cerebral

I'll be happy if we stay in the bottom 2 as any of Ekblad, Reinhart, or Bennett would be good to me. Dal Colle is intriguing given his size but he seems a little soft to me from my viewings and I think we need a player with a little more tenacity to pair up with RNH.

02-02-2014, 11:45 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
I think he'll drop in the rankings because he looks like he's skating in wet cement. The WJC and top prospects game were simply platforms to see how poor his skating is. You watch him in the WHL were any individual team might only have 4-6 players with NHL calibre skating and he looks like he can control the play. But if you watched him in the aforementioned games against a more talented group, he was chasing the play constantly. Very ineffective. The fact that MacT mentioned him by name earlier in the year scares the hell out of me, and has me thinking we MUST pick first, otherwise we'll end up with this guy because he's a center with size. Bennett plays much bigger than this guy. Draisaitl is strong on the puck, good on the cycle, but if we think he's the answer to going head to head with Backes/Hanzal, we're going to be very disappointed.

End rant.
thanks for the info. Haven't watched him, just see his size

Skating is usually one of the things that I'm least worried about, because usually it can be improved. If he's smart and has good hands and good size, I'd hope at least his technical skating could be improved.

Old
02-02-2014, 12:15 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
I'll be happy if we stay in the bottom 2 as any of Ekblad, Reinhart, or Bennett would be good to me. Dal Colle is intriguing given his size but he seems a little soft to me from my viewings and I think we need a player with a little more tenacity to pair up with RNH.
That's where I'm at. Personally I'd have Reinhart 3rd on the list, but it'd be hard to complain if we got any of them.

Old
02-02-2014, 02:52 PM
McJadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
its really "ekblad or bust" this year... i don't know that there is a top-line guy in the entire draft outside of ekblad... there is even some discussion as to whether ekblad will be an impact player, as mackenzie called him a #2, not a #1, dman

if we don't end up with the #1 pick, i really, really, really hope we trade the pick for immediate help

Old
02-02-2014, 03:16 PM
McDNicks17
McDavid Cometh

vCash: 1115
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
its really "ekblad or bust" this year... i don't know that there is a top-line guy in the entire draft outside of ekblad... there is even some discussion as to whether ekblad will be an impact player, as mackenzie called him a #2, not a #1, dman

if we don't end up with the #1 pick, i really, really, really hope we trade the pick for immediate help
I think the top-end of this draft is getting underrated.

There's three draft eligible guys in the OHL right now who have already put up more points than Yak did in his draft year. And there's three more(including a defenseman) just behind them in production too.

Lots of toolsy guys with very good production up there not getting much hype.

Old
02-02-2014, 03:29 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
Just looked at the scores yesterday, Calgary beat Minnesota. Look good things do happen when you have a solid defense.
Or just play hard.

Old
02-02-2014, 03:32 PM
ExOilerFan
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Draft Ekblad

Marincin/Petry
Ference/J.Schultz
Ekblad/Nurse

Hello McDavid

Closed Thread