HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mid-Season Report Card

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-28-2013, 09:53 PM
  #1
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing
 
Megustaelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,016
vCash: 500
Mid-Season Report Card

Do you agree with Zipay's grades? Would you do this for each individual player/coach?

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...card-1.6686999

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:01 PM
  #2
SERE 24
LGR
 
SERE 24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 9,839
vCash: 500
I agree with goaltending. Coaching I would give a D. D- even. I'm not mourning Torts but I think AV is clueless. I just flat out dislike him. Forwards I agree again. Defense as well. Thought about giving forwards a D though. Just too many guys not stepping up at all.

SERE 24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:01 PM
  #3
NYR2007
Registered User
 
NYR2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 564
vCash: 500
Basically said everything that needs to be said.

The way we are going I don't even think they will make the second round. Might actually miss the playoffs

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:16 PM
  #4
Aufheben
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 11,910
vCash: 69
B- for the special teams? I feel that's a tad low, especially when you consider the improvement on the PP.

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:23 PM
  #5
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 17,715
vCash: 500
Overall Team Score:

F-

__________________

Disintegrated MCL
rip
Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:31 PM
  #6
Callagraves
Block shots
 
Callagraves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,372
vCash: 500
He's being a bit generous, in my opinion.

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:46 PM
  #7
Idlerlee
Always play Richards
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Oslo, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,154
vCash: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
B- for the special teams? I feel that's a tad low, especially when you consider the improvement on the PP.
Only the PK and 2nd PP unit, the 1st is pretty much garbage

Idlerlee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:00 PM
  #8
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks
 
SlingshotVv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,499
vCash: 500
How in the world does this offense get a C-? What does it actually take to get a D or an F from Zipay?

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:02 PM
  #9
Clausewitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Country: Israel
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
Looks pretty accurate. Our still being in the playoff hunt -- even if that is due to our being in a weak conference -- saves us from a D. Really, though, I can't imagine any team realistically deserving an "F." Hopefully, through trade or otherwise, we'll improve our roster and, more importantly, our performance.

As for individual grades, I've taken into account the abilities, player role and expectations.

Forwards
22 - Boyle: struggling offensively (what else is new); still reliable defensively; serviceable third/fourth liner. Verdict: B
16 - Brassard: shows flashes of skills -- but not consistently or productively; lacks the hockey sense to go with his skill. Verdict: C
24 - Callahan: unimpressive offensive contribution; not showing the energy / intensity we're used to seeing or expect. Verdict: C-
15 - Dorsett: solid fourth liner and penalty-killer; has stopped taking dumb penalties. Verdict: B+
62 - Hagelin: good, opportunistic two-way player, who reads the game well; needs to contribute more offensively: B-
20 - Kreider: surpassing all expectations; takes the odd shift off or occasional dumb penalty. Verdict: B+
10 - Miller: much better since returning from Hartford. Finally put in a capacity more appropriate for his skill / game style. Verdict: B
28 - Moore: fulfills his responsibilities well; lives up to expectations; generally consistent and energetic. Verdict: B+
61 - Nash: no intensity; takes too many shifts off, and is not living up to his talent, contract or anyone's expectations. Verdict: F
67 - Pouliot: finally starting to contribute; too early to see if he's "turned the corner." Otherwise underwhelming. Verdict: C
14 - Pyatt: generally a liability. Verdict: F
19 - Richards: the Richards we first signed is back; probably our best offensive contributor. Good power play quarterback. Verdict: B+
21 - Stepan: inconsistent, despite his talent, but still contributes to the team's offense. Good two-way player. Verdict: B-
36 - Zuccarello: impressive comeback. Becoming a fan-favorite -- and understandably so. Verdict A-

(2) Defensemen
4 - Del Zotto: makes some excellent passes but is prone to far too many defensive lapses; struggles to handle the puck. Verdict: C-
44 - Falk: steady and physical defenseman; has exceeded expectations (however low they may have been). Verdict: B+
5 - Girardi: prone to the occasional defensive mistakes despite his being a defensive-defenseman; still blocks shots. Verdict: C
27 - McDonagh: has added offense to his game; by far the team's best defenseman; mentally maturing. Verdict: A
17 - Moore: does not use his frame, speed or shot effectively; lacks hockey sense. Verdict: C
18 - Staal: injuries continue to pile up; not as physical or steady as before; offensive game remains weak. Verdict: C-
6 - Stralman: reliable defenseman; checks intelligently; could contribute offensively (given the opportunity). Verdict: B

Goaltenders
30 - Lundqvist: disappointing by all accounts; no sign of reversal. Verdict: F
33 - Talbot: surpassed expectations; solid performances have won him the team's confidence. Verdict: A


Last edited by Clausewitz: 12-28-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Clausewitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:21 PM
  #10
Raspewtin
Early To The Party
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,114
vCash: 243
Don't agree with the B- for the special teams, they've been great.

__________________
Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:22 PM
  #11
theFiGS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,434
vCash: 500
Rangers have the type of report card that gets their computer and cell phone taken away for a month

theFiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:26 PM
  #12
Riverdale
Registered User
 
Riverdale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 5,635
vCash: 500
Special Teams: B+

Forwards: D+

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:41 PM
  #13
Stasis
Mad Decent
 
Stasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FrmNYC-InMTL
Posts: 1,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
Basically said everything that needs to be said.

The way we are going I don't even think they will make the second round. Might actually miss the playoffs
Firstly, let me say we share a very similar avatar! I dunno which came first, nor do I care, but I wanna make it clear I didn't see it and copycat. The influence came from a Bruins fan on another forum entirely...

Second, I agree. Though at this point I'm almost certain we're going to be missing the post-season. If we did make it, it'd probably be a quick exit. 1st or 2nd round. Sadly there's just not much to be excited about lately or even looking forward. Bubble playoff team with a middling pick and not much in the system beyond McIlrath and perhaps Fast/Lindberg/Kristo. No big impact guys who will come in and wow us. None of what's needed to build a real playoff contender. Mediocrity for a few years is what I see, and it's going to be pretty tedious overall.

I follow the Sabres somewhat too. Though they've hit rock bottom this season, at least they've got a ton of great talent in the pipeline and some real nice picks to come. Wish we had some of that.

Stasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:49 PM
  #14
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'
 
Bob Richards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 46,719
vCash: 50
lirl @ Forwards getting a C-.

Should be much lower.

__________________
"New day, new hope. Richards Buyout 2014". -Ail
Bob Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 12:21 AM
  #15
sousuffer
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausewitz View Post
Looks pretty accurate. Our still being in the playoff hunt -- even if that is due to our being in a weak conference -- saves us from a D. Really, though, I can't imagine any team realistically deserving an "F." Hopefully, through trade or otherwise, we'll improve our roster and, more importantly, our performance.

As for individual grades, I've taken into account the abilities, player role and expectations.

Forwards
22 - Boyle: struggling offensively (what else is new); still reliable defensively; serviceable third/fourth liner. Verdict: B
16 - Brassard: shows flashes of skills -- but not consistently or productively; lacks the hockey sense to go with his skill. Verdict: C
24 - Callahan: unimpressive offensive contribution; not showing the energy / intensity we're used to seeing or expect. Verdict: C-
15 - Dorsett: solid fourth liner and penalty-killer; has stopped taking dumb penalties. Verdict: B+
62 - Hagelin: good, opportunistic two-way player, who reads the game well; needs to contribute more offensively: B-
20 - Kreider: surpassing all expectations; takes the odd shift off or occasional dumb penalty. Verdict: B+
10 - Miller: much better since returning from Hartford. Finally put in a capacity more appropriate for his skill / game style. Verdict: B
28 - Moore: fulfills his responsibilities well; lives up to expectations; generally consistent and energetic. Verdict: B+
61 - Nash: no intensity; takes too many shifts off, and is not living up to his talent, contract or anyone's expectations. Verdict: F
67 - Pouliot: finally starting to contribute; too early to see if he's "turned the corner." Otherwise underwhelming. Verdict: C
14 - Pyatt: generally a liability. Verdict: F
19 - Richards: the Richards we first signed is back; probably our best offensive contributor. Good power play quarterback. Verdict: B+
21 - Stepan: inconsistent, despite his talent, but still contributes to the team's offense. Good two-way player. Verdict: B-
36 - Zuccarello: impressive comeback. Becoming a fan-favorite -- and understandably so. Verdict A-

(2) Defensemen
4 - Del Zotto: makes some excellent passes but is prone to far too many defensive lapses; struggles to handle the puck. Verdict: C-
44 - Falk: steady and physical defenseman; has exceeded expectations (however low they may have been). Verdict: B+
5 - Girardi: prone to the occasional defensive mistakes despite his being a defensive-defenseman; still blocks shots. Verdict: C
27 - McDonagh: has added offense to his game; by far the team's best defenseman; mentally maturing. Verdict: A
17 - Moore: does not use his frame, speed or shot effectively; lacks hockey sense. Verdict: C
18 - Staal: injuries continue to pile up; not as physical or steady as before; offensive game remains weak. Verdict: C-
6 - Stralman: reliable defenseman; checks intelligently; could contribute offensively (given the opportunity). Verdict: B

Goaltenders
30 - Lundqvist: disappointing by all accounts; no sign of reversal. Verdict: F
33 - Talbot: surpassed expectations; solid performances have won him the team's confidence. Verdict: A
I like most of these - I'd probably go with D+ for Hank and C+ for Stralman (he looks worse now than he had in previous years). The only thing I really disagree with is Dominic Moore.

I have never understood the love affair for a guy who absolutely contributes nothing quantifiable. He always gets a free pass when everyone was dumping on Pouliot or Pyatt. People always love pointing to his "energy" or "hustle". I know he's gone through a lot personally (and I'm sure he's a good guy), and yes, he hits a little and he can kill penalties to some degree, but even for a 4th liner, he is very disappointing to me (and a waste of a roster spot), especially when we have such little depth to begin with.

Many people here like to say that Boyle is a good 4th liner - well, Boyle puts up around 20-25 points in addition to his PK skills (and yes, he hustles every night as well). Moore will be lucky to get to 10 points. I give Dominic Moore a D, award him no points, and may god have mercy on his soul.


Last edited by sousuffer: 12-29-2013 at 12:30 AM.
sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 12:43 AM
  #16
Machinehead
Moderator
ActingLikeAStempniak
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 35,880
vCash: 500
How does goaltending, which has cost us multiple games, get the same grade as special teams which has been our bread and butter?

__________________
Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:33 AM
  #17
Clausewitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Country: Israel
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
I like most of these - I'd probably go with D+ for Hank and C+ for Stralman (he looks worse now than he had in previous years). The only thing I really disagree with is Dominic Moore.

I have never understood the love affair for a guy who absolutely contributes nothing quantifiable. He always gets a free pass when everyone was dumping on Pouliot or Pyatt. People always love pointing to his "energy" or "hustle". I know he's gone through a lot personally (and I'm sure he's a good guy), and yes, he hits a little and he can kill penalties to some degree, but even for a 4th liner, he is very disappointing to me (and a waste of a roster spot), especially when we have such little depth to begin with.

Many people here like to say that Boyle is a good 4th liner - well, Boyle puts up around 20-25 points in addition to his PK skills (and yes, he hustles every night as well). Moore will be lucky to get to 10 points. I give Dominic Moore a D, award him no points, and may god have mercy on his soul.
I consider Dominic a grinder in the strict sense of the word: he wears you out. There are a lot of players who can do the same -- and more (no pun intended) -- but my grading assumed Moore would continue to not put up points. On that basis, I evaluated him on his energy, consistency and to what extent he fulfilled (in this case my) expectations.

You also make a good point regarding Strålman.

Clausewitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:02 AM
  #18
Aufheben
Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Angola
Posts: 11,910
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
I like most of these - I'd probably go with D+ for Hank and C+ for Stralman (he looks worse now than he had in previous years). The only thing I really disagree with is Dominic Moore.

I have never understood the love affair for a guy who absolutely contributes nothing quantifiable. He always gets a free pass when everyone was dumping on Pouliot or Pyatt. People always love pointing to his "energy" or "hustle". I know he's gone through a lot personally (and I'm sure he's a good guy), and yes, he hits a little and he can kill penalties to some degree, but even for a 4th liner, he is very disappointing to me (and a waste of a roster spot), especially when we have such little depth to begin with.

Many people here like to say that Boyle is a good 4th liner - well, Boyle puts up around 20-25 points in addition to his PK skills (and yes, he hustles every night as well). Moore will be lucky to get to 10 points. I give Dominic Moore a D, award him no points, and may god have mercy on his soul.
If Stralman gets a C+, what do the other defensemen, sans McDonagh, get? Z's?

Aufheben is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:08 AM
  #19
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream
 
Ave Maria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Westchester,NY
Country: Italy
Posts: 2,459
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Ill give the team a C- considering they are barely behind .500 although like they are a .300 team. The only thing promising team-wise has been the special teams and even that has been brutal at points

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:19 AM
  #20
TheDirtyH
Registered User
 
TheDirtyH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: WA
Country: United States
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
I like most of these - I'd probably go with D+ for Hank and C+ for Stralman (he looks worse now than he had in previous years). The only thing I really disagree with is Dominic Moore.

I have never understood the love affair for a guy who absolutely contributes nothing quantifiable. He always gets a free pass when everyone was dumping on Pouliot or Pyatt. People always love pointing to his "energy" or "hustle". I know he's gone through a lot personally (and I'm sure he's a good guy), and yes, he hits a little and he can kill penalties to some degree, but even for a 4th liner, he is very disappointing to me (and a waste of a roster spot), especially when we have such little depth to begin with.

Many people here like to say that Boyle is a good 4th liner - well, Boyle puts up around 20-25 points in addition to his PK skills (and yes, he hustles every night as well). Moore will be lucky to get to 10 points. I give Dominic Moore a D, award him no points, and may god have mercy on his soul.
I can't speak for everyone but Moore has been one of my favorite rangers this season because he is noticeable even in his limited minutes. He may not be putting up points like he has in past seasons but three of his four points have been in the last seven games and I think it will pick up as the season goes (he did miss an entire season last year so it's reasonable to expect a curve I think). I personally like him more than Boyle because he is just as good on faceoffs, but more so he's more creative. He's definitely a smarter player, he skates better, he's surprisingly effective on the rush, he can pass make plays. Boyle might have more points but I see Moore creating more offense. He rushes the puck well can stick handle, makes good passes, knows when to chip in, and never just shoots it into the goalies chest from above the circles like Boyle regularly does. He drives the net and seemingly everytime there a scramble in the other team's crease he and/or Dorset are involved. In any case if the knock is his offensive output, I'm not on the same page. I see him creating offense as a fourth liner and short handed even if his points don't reflect it at the moment.

TheDirtyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:30 AM
  #21
district9
Registered User
 
district9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 726
vCash: 500
No one outside of the defense and special teams deserve above a D.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:41 AM
  #22
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,865
vCash: 500
Zipay doesn't know what he is talking about. $2.2M in Falk,Johnson and Syvret. The latter two don't count against the cap. Why even bring that up?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:39 AM
  #23
Blurt Vision
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 396
vCash: 500
Stepan gets a D- from me. Really annoying watching him floating and smirking. He's this year's the New Gomez.

I don't blame Nash, 3 concussions in 1 calender year. Missed by inches having his career ended 1st by Testito and then Ovechkin. Nash may even be playing through a bit of a fog after getting punched by OV. Have to wonder about his hockey sense since he said the Rangers were a team he'd accept a trade to. Apparently nobody among his people is much of an historian.

Blurt Vision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:46 AM
  #24
kovazub94
Enigmatic
 
kovazub94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clausewitz View Post
Looks pretty accurate. Our still being in the playoff hunt -- even if that is due to our being in a weak conference -- saves us from a D. Really, though, I can't imagine any team realistically deserving an "F." Hopefully, through trade or otherwise, we'll improve our roster and, more importantly, our performance.

As for individual grades, I've taken into account the abilities, player role and expectations.

Forwards
22 - Boyle: struggling offensively (what else is new); still reliable defensively; serviceable third/fourth liner. Verdict: B
16 - Brassard: shows flashes of skills -- but not consistently or productively; lacks the hockey sense to go with his skill. Verdict: C
24 - Callahan: unimpressive offensive contribution; not showing the energy / intensity we're used to seeing or expect. Verdict: C-
15 - Dorsett: solid fourth liner and penalty-killer; has stopped taking dumb penalties. Verdict: B+
62 - Hagelin: good, opportunistic two-way player, who reads the game well; needs to contribute more offensively: B-
20 - Kreider: surpassing all expectations; takes the odd shift off or occasional dumb penalty. Verdict: B+
10 - Miller: much better since returning from Hartford. Finally put in a capacity more appropriate for his skill / game style. Verdict: B
28 - Moore: fulfills his responsibilities well; lives up to expectations; generally consistent and energetic. Verdict: B+
61 - Nash: no intensity; takes too many shifts off, and is not living up to his talent, contract or anyone's expectations. Verdict: F
67 - Pouliot: finally starting to contribute; too early to see if he's "turned the corner." Otherwise underwhelming. Verdict: C
14 - Pyatt: generally a liability. Verdict: F
19 - Richards: the Richards we first signed is back; probably our best offensive contributor. Good power play quarterback. Verdict: B+
21 - Stepan: inconsistent, despite his talent, but still contributes to the team's offense. Good two-way player. Verdict: B-
36 - Zuccarello: impressive comeback. Becoming a fan-favorite -- and understandably so. Verdict A-

(2) Defensemen
4 - Del Zotto: makes some excellent passes but is prone to far too many defensive lapses; struggles to handle the puck. Verdict: C-
44 - Falk: steady and physical defenseman; has exceeded expectations (however low they may have been). Verdict: B+
5 - Girardi: prone to the occasional defensive mistakes despite his being a defensive-defenseman; still blocks shots. Verdict: C
27 - McDonagh: has added offense to his game; by far the team's best defenseman; mentally maturing. Verdict: A
17 - Moore: does not use his frame, speed or shot effectively; lacks hockey sense. Verdict: C
18 - Staal: injuries continue to pile up; not as physical or steady as before; offensive game remains weak. Verdict: C-
6 - Stralman: reliable defenseman; checks intelligently; could contribute offensively (given the opportunity). Verdict: B

Goaltenders
30 - Lundqvist: disappointing by all accounts; no sign of reversal. Verdict: F
33 - Talbot: surpassed expectations; solid performances have won him the team's confidence. Verdict: A
IMHO you are too generous with grades for many forwards - Boyle didn't earn a solid B, nor B+ for Richards or B- for Stepan if we look at the whole first half and not some 10 game stretches. Poo and Brass' grades could also be debatable.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:56 AM
  #25
NickyFotiu
Registered User
 
NickyFotiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,625
vCash: 500
Somebody said last week all Boyle has to do is put his skates on the right feet for several people to claim he had a good game. 2 goals last season. 1 goal this season and he gets a B grade? He must have tied his own skates also lol.

NickyFotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.