HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Qualifying offers to RFA's?

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Sudz

vCash: 500
Qualifying offers to RFA's?

Anyone know if JFJ has made qualifying offer's to any of the Leafs RFA's? I've read on a couple boards that he has, but have seen no proof. I'd sign big Nik to a one year deal and see if he can bring his game to a new level and let the rest go.

Last edited by Sudz: 07-31-2005 at 12:47 PM.
Old
07-31-2005, 12:47 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz
Anyone know if JFJ has made qualifying offer's to any of the Leafs RFA's? I've read on a couple boards that he has, but have seen no proof. I'd sign big Nik to a one year deal and see if can bring his game to a new level and let the rest go.
Yesterdays Toronto Sun had this ..

He didn't only commit to the players he had already signed. He also presented qualifying offers to dubious free agents Aki Berg, Nik Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky, all of whom have been found to be below average NHL players and certainly wanting at playoff time.

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/Sports/Ho...53263-sun.html

Old
07-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

Okay, but is there any official confirmation of these offers?

Old
07-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Sudz

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Yesterdays Toronto Sun had this ..

He didn't only commit to the players he had already signed. He also presented qualifying offers to dubious free agents Aki Berg, Nik Antropov and Alexei Ponikarovsky, all of whom have been found to be below average NHL players and certainly wanting at playoff time.

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/Sports/Ho...53263-sun.html

I seen that on another board. I'm not sure if it should be believed or not though considering that nothing else has been said about it. Nothing on tsn or an offical press release. Weird.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:21 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudz
I seen that on another board. I'm not sure if it should be believed or not though considering that nothing else has been said about it. Nothing on tsn or an offical press release. Weird.
Quote:

That was about the extent of the unexpected.

The challenge of meeting the league salary cap of $39 million US, down to $21.5 million at the low end, begins in earnest today and tomorrow. At 5 p.m. today, teams must have extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents, affecting such Maple Leafs as Aki Berg, Nik Antropov, Wade Belak, Chad Kilger, Karel Pilar and Nathan Perrott. Indications are that Berg and Antropov will get their $1 million offers, though general manager John Ferguson won't talk until tonight.

http://torontosun.canoe.ca/Sports/Hockey/2005/07/31/1154437-sun.html
This article today contradicts the other one perhaps ??

I love the Quinn quote at the end in regards to UFA ... I guess a leopard never does change its spots ..

Quote:
Leafs' coach Pat Quinn is as anxious as anyone to see how Ferguson fares. "It's only my opinion, and I know John has worked hard to look at all the players out there, but you have to look at what you get back, too," Quinn said. "Some of our top players last year were our older guys."

Old
07-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

The Maple Leafs gave qualifying offers to forwards Chad Kilger, Wade Belak, Nik Antropov and Nathan Perrott and defencemen Aki Berg and Karel Pilar, the Toronto Sun reported Monday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132068&hubName=nhl

Old
07-31-2005, 11:56 PM
Aki Berg

Quote:
The Maple Leafs gave qualifying offers to forwards Chad Kilger, Wade Belak, Nik Antropov and Nathan Perrott and defencemen Aki Berg and Karel Pilar, the Toronto Sun reported Monday.

Drinks on Aki tonite!

Old
08-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Deebo
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

they are just citing the other link

Old
08-01-2005, 12:09 AM
richardn

Quote:

Why wouldn't they qualify Poni .

Old
08-01-2005, 12:10 AM
bonjovi0308

Send a message via ICQ to bonjovi0308
Quote:

It seems the Leafs brass really having a crush on Belak...

Old
08-01-2005, 12:15 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Why wouldn't they qualify Poni .
Yes, apperently it's an exception this year due to the lockout. From what I understand, all players who were tendered QO last year are retained by clubs without the additional QOs.

"Forwards Milan Kraft, Aleksey Morozov and Michal Sivek, and defenseman Brooks Orpik were tendered qualifying offers after 2003-04 and did not sign prior to the lockout. Penguins general manager Craig Patrick said the team still retains their rights and they did not need to be qualified again this year."

Poni was Qualified and Unsigned last year so he does not need a new qualifier this year .. Special Lockout rule ..

Old
08-01-2005, 12:22 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo
they are just citing the other link
What are you a doubting Thomas ??

Quote:
Report: Leafs make six qualifying offers
TSN.ca Staff
8/1/2005 1:00:26 AM

With the NHL free agency period about to begin, the Toronto Maple Leafs have reportedly made qualifying offers to six of their players.

According to the Toronto Sun, the team made offers to forwards Chad Kilger, Nik Antropov and Nathan Perrott and defenceman Wade Belak, Aki Berg and Karel Pilar.

Kilger has played nine seasons in the NHL and split 2003-04 with the Montreal Canadiens and the Leafs, posting six points in 41 games.

The 25-year old Antropov tallied 13 goals in 2003-04 in 62 games. He missed 20 games that year with a shoulder injury. He spent the 2004-05 season in Russia where he netted 24 points in 36 games.

Perrott amassed 116 penalty minutes in 40 games with the Buds in 2003-04. He spent the lockout in the AHL where he scored 16 goals with 278 penalty minutes in 60 games.

The versatile Belak played both defense and left wing for the Leafs in 2003-04. The rugged eight year veteran posted 109 penalty minutes in 34 games.

Berg, who was taken third overall in the 1995 NHL Entry Draft has never scored more than 16 points in any of his eight NHL seasons. In 2003-04 he had nine points and a plus/minus rating of -1.

Pilar had 17 assists and 19 points in 50 games with the Leafs in 2003-04. Seven of his points were on the power play. He played in the Czech Republic during the lockout where he had 28 points in 52 games with a plus/minus rating of +15.

Full Story : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132124&hubName=nhl

Old
08-01-2005, 02:07 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
i liek kilger and poni

berg and antropov im luke warm too but i think both can improve

perrot is an ahler through and through

Old
08-01-2005, 03:34 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
i liek kilger and poni

berg and antropov im luke warm too but i think both can improve

perrot is an ahler through and through
There's almost no chance all three players will be in the Leafs lineup next season. Should Domi re-sign, the Leafs will either trade Belak or send Perrott to the Marlies on a minor-league salary. Belak received a qualifying offer of $798,000 and Perrott was qualified at the league minimum of $450,000.

Also qualified yesterday were centre/right winger Nik Antropov ($1 million), defenceman Aki Berg ($1.1 million) and defenceman Karel Pilar ($450,000). Chad Kilger, who was picked up on waivers at the trade deadline in 2004, was not given a qualifying offer, but re-signed with the Leafs on a one-year deal at $475,000.

The qualifying offer the Leafs made to Alexei Ponikarovsky last summer still stands and with the 24 per cent rollback, his offer stands at the league minimum of $450,000.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...3064&t=TS_Home

Old
08-01-2005, 03:52 AM
Slapshot17

It will be interesting to see if Antropov takes the Qualifying offer or plays in Russia. Not sure why they would qualify Belak at 798,000 when you could have let him become an UFA and probably resigned him close to the minimum.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:52 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17
Not sure why they would qualify Belak at 798,000 when you could have let him become an UFA and probably resigned him close to the minimum.
All kidding aside, our neighbours east on the 401 would snatch him up and have him beat on us!

Belak vs. Domi? I'd buy tickets to see that one.

Old
08-01-2005, 05:56 AM
Macman

I don't understand what the Leafs are thinking. Given their tight cap room, why on earth would they qualify Berg, Belak, Kilger, Perrot and Antropov? There are better free agents out there than these guys. I don't think I can bear to watch lead-footed Antropov for another season. Hopefully he'll stay in Russia. It also means Domi won't be back, which is a shame, and that the Leafs won't be that busy when the bidding begins today unless guys are willing to take a financial hit to be a Leaf.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:30 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
I don't understand what the Leafs are thinking. Given their tight cap room, why on earth would they qualify Berg, Belak, Kilger, Perrot and Antropov?
We have 8 players signed at 23 million. That means we have sign at least 13 players for about 15 million, an average of 1.15 million per player.

Each of these players cost less than that. This is very key to our ability to sign free agents.

Quote:
There are better free agents out there than these guys.
For less than 1.15 million each? We have to sign 13 guys. These are just 6 of them.

Quote:
I don't think I can bear to watch lead-footed Antropov for another season. Hopefully he'll stay in Russia. It also means Domi won't be back, which is a shame, and that the Leafs won't be that busy when the bidding begins today unless guys are willing to take a financial hit to be a Leaf.
Sigh. leafs fans give up too quickly on guys like Antropov. Then when they play for another team and turn out to be decent, they blame management for gettig rid of all our youth. See Fredrik Modin.

We need to keep some of our younger core, amd especially guys like Berg and Antropov who continue to develop and will be hitting their prime years in the next few years.

And it's comical to me that you want to give up on all these guys but keep Domi.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:33 AM
timlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot17
. . .Not sure why they would qualify Belak at 798,000 when you could have let him become an UFA and probably resigned him close to the minimum.
People continue to undervalue Belak at this board. He is the ideal 21st player in that he can be inserted on defence or forward and he is big bruiser who can be inserted against a tough line up. He has proven to be effective at times in that role. At the same time you don't feel like it's a waste for him to sit on the bench. Were he a free agent someone who quickly snap him up. It would be a foolish GM who dumped an asset on the market for nothing when he only cost $800,000 to keep.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Transplanted Caper

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap

Sigh. leafs fans give up too quickly on guys like Antropov. Then when they play for another team and turn out to be decent, they blame management for gettig rid of all our youth. See Fredrik Modin.

We need to keep some of our younger core, amd especially guys like Berg and Antropov who continue to develop and will be hitting their prime years in the next few years.

And it's comical to me that you want to give up on all these guys but keep Domi.

How long is too long though? Nik showed great promise a couple of years ago, but l03/04 was a step back. He's streaky like Modin was when he was here and he took a lot of dumb penalties if i recall correctly.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:05 AM
pspot

seriously why bother qualifying these guys while so many other players are available and no one really knows how it will shape up
its not like someone is going to come by and sweep up Belak
wait see what other people sign for and then maybe you might be able to get a better player for less then you want and not have to waste the space on players like this

Old
08-01-2005, 09:09 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspot
wait see what other people sign for and then maybe you might be able to get a better player for less then you want and not have to waste the space on players like this
And then, Zubov for $12 million over 3 years.

That is a

These are just qualifying offers, and 29 year old Perrott may sign for less on a 2 year deal, and I believe 36 year old Domi (in Nov) wanted a multi-year deal.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Macman

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap

Berg has been around long enough to know he's already hit his prime, whatever that is. He'll never be anything more than a 5th or 6th D-man and takes up a spot for a young guy like Coliacovo who makes even less. Kilger? A waste of cap space. Antropov? I think at this point the chances are slim to none he's going to become anything more than he already is and in light of the NHL's intent to open up the game again, an injury-prone guy who skates like he's dragging an anchor behind him becomes even more of a liability. His $1 million can be better spent elsewhere, ie. trying to sign Foote or Murray.

As for Domi, every team needs an enforcer and he's still one of the best and one of the more skilled ones out there. Certainly way better than Belak or Perrot. Also cutting loose a guy who literally bleeds blue and does a lot of good work in the community sends the wrong message to free agents. The Habs usually honour their loyal players. The Leafs haven't and that has to change.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:22 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
The Habs usually honour their loyal players. The Leafs haven't and that has to change.
Tell me which team is older, the Habs or the Leafs? So which players are the Habs keeping around to honour?

It is about winning.

We could take the other approach, JFj is letting the boys test the market to see how in demand they are. If the Leafs get stuck signing an Anson Carter, Jason Allison, Eric Lindros, Bobby Holik, Tony Amonte, ..., as a result so be it.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Augustus
HFBoards Sponsor

Clod Belak just body checked me into the boards rushing to sign his absurd qualifying offer before saner heads prevail and find some way to change their mind.

Talk about being overpaid!

Closed Thread