HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Qualifying offers to RFA's?

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
I for one am happy Pilar has been qualified.

I expect him to move into the top 4 this year, unless the Leafs land a top 2 defender in the UFA market.

McCabe-Kaberle
Pilar-Klee
Berg-Carlo

Klee being the only player over 30.

Berg played the most games in 03-04 of any defender for the Leafs.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:42 AM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55

I expect him to move into the top 4 this year, unless the Leafs land a top 2 defender in the UFA market.

McCabe-Kaberle
Pilar-Klee
Berg-Carlo

I think Pilar certainly has 3/4 skill and hopefully can show a bit more consistency this year to earn the minutes of a 3/4 defenseman.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:46 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlap
People continue to undervalue Belak at this board. He is the ideal 21st player in that he can be inserted on defence or forward and he is big bruiser who can be inserted against a tough line up. He has proven to be effective at times in that role. At the same time you don't feel like it's a waste for him to sit on the bench. Were he a free agent someone who quickly snap him up. It would be a foolish GM who dumped an asset on the market for nothing when he only cost $800,000 to keep.

Even Wade Belak under values himself ..

He sold his Toronto home and moved here to Kelowna in the off season .. He was on the radio over the weekend ..

He said the odds that the Leafs qualify him at his rate is not very high, and the fact that they (Belak camp) had heard absolutely nothing from Fergy at all was a pretty good indication.

Belak actually felt that the new NHL rules and opening the game and the obstruction and instigating rule seriously puts his NHL career in jeopardy. He has even had talks with his wife and agent of playing in England again this year like he did last year ..

He said he has his fingers crossed that he would return a Leaf but does not feel overly confident. He figures the Leafs will bring back crowd fav Domi and they would never carry 2 guys on the roster to play the same role in a cap world ..

As the report and interview was on .. Tears of joy were welling up in my eyes ... Then suddenly the dream is gone as I read that Belak was qualified ..

Well at least the tears are not going to waste ..

Old
08-01-2005, 09:48 AM
Augustus

It is not possible to undervalue clod Belak by any law of God, by international laws, by any economic standards, by the use of logic, or by the laws of physics. Nothing from nothing is still nothing.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:50 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

McCabe-Kaberle
Pilar-Klee
Berg-Carlo

Klee being the only player over 30.

Berg played the most games in 03-04 of any defender for the Leafs.
If Pilar can regain that form he showed when during the playoff drive a few years back we could have a pretty good Dman on our hands ..

I like him as well .. He is quite underrated and some real skills that if properly developed could be a pretty good Dman in the NHL .. IMO

Old
08-01-2005, 09:55 AM
Volcanologist
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
As the report and interview was on .. Tears of joy were welling up in my eyes ... Then suddenly the dream is gone as I read that Belak was qualified ..

Well at least the tears are not going to waste ..
LOL!!!

Exactly how I feel.

Yup, Belak is really "versatile"....he can't play hockey at 2 different positions!

Old
08-01-2005, 09:56 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Belak made 850k his last season, before the 24% rollback, and qualifying offers are after the 24% rollback.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...8&year=2003-04

So how much was he qualified at?

Old
08-01-2005, 10:00 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recidivist
It is not possible to undervalue clod Belak by any law of God, by international laws, by any economic standards, by the use of logic, or by the laws of physics. Nothing from nothing is still nothing.
There is still a glimpse of hope yet for some of us Leaf fans ...

This quote here still leaves us a possibility ..

"Should Domi re-sign, the Leafs will either trade Belak or send Perrott to the Marlies on a minor-league salary"

Who would have believed that on the day with UFA season about to open, I'd be here cheering and hoping Leafs resign Domi so the previous quote becomes a prophecy??.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:16 AM
Pappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
The Maple Leafs gave qualifying offers to forwards Chad Kilger, Wade Belak, Nik Antropov and Nathan Perrott and defencemen Aki Berg and Karel Pilar, the Toronto Sun reported Monday.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=132068&hubName=nhl
Does this mean their not signing Poni

Old
08-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Skidley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Does this mean their not signing Poni
No...they qualified him before the lockout. That's what was posted on some other threads.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Pappy

Quote:
Belak made 850k his last season, before the 24% rollback, and qualifying offers are after the 24% rollback.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...8&year=2003-04

So how much was he qualified at?
Who knows one paper says 782,000 and the other says just over 800,000 either figure is way too much for Belak he's a 450,000 player, he's not good enough to take a regular shift at either position, and doesn't have the Smarts to be a usefull enforcer.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Augustus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy
Who knows one paper says 782,000 and the other says just over 800,000 either figure is way too much for Belak he's a 450,000 player, he's not good enough to take a regular shift at either position, and doesn't have the Smarts to be a usefull enforcer.

I agree with all of your comment except that he is a 450,000 player. There are real players out there available for 450,000 that bring far more to the ice than clod Belak. 450K is a lot of money (though not by pro sports criteria) for someone who really can't do anything except fight (and he's not all great at that) and cannot be trusted on the ice during any important part of a game.

When (not if) the NHL finally decides to ban fighting the Belaks of the world will be a distant and unfond memory.

Closed Thread