HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I dont want berg back and here is why,our defense.

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 12:38 PM
darrylsittler27

vCash: 500
I dont want berg back and here is why,our defense.

Toronto's defense cant handle the phillys or the new jerseys of the world.It is a good defense that lacks a bone crunching stay at home top 2 defender like foote ,pronger etc.That is why leetch could be let go we have kaberle,mcabe,covo and pilar for offense but not enough grit.We need to give covo a spot which means one spot needs to be filled on defense by a true stay at home in your face night after night guy.We need a quality proven vet who isnt past his prime.I also like white as a bit number 7 defenseman.In my eyes we dont have room for berg.

Foote kaberle
covo mcacbe
pilar klee
white belak

With foote,mcabe and belak and pilar we may have enough grit to combat the primeaus and joe thorntons.These guys just play with our defense,we have to change that or having belfour is pointless.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:45 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylsittler27
Toronto's defense cant handle the phillys or the new jerseys of the world.It is a good defense that lacks a bone crunching stay at home top 2 defender like foote ,pronger etc.That is why leetch could be let go we have kaberle,mcabe,covo and pilar for offense but not enough grit.We need to give covo a spot which means one spot needs to be filled on defense by a true stay at home in your face night after night guy.We need a quality proven vet who isnt past his prime.I also like white as a bit number 7 defenseman.In my eyes we dont have room for berg.

Foote kaberle
covo mcacbe
pilar klee
white belak

With foote,mcabe and belak and pilar we may have enough grit to combat the primeaus and joe thorntons.These guys just play with our defense,we have to change that or having belfour is pointless.
Pilar?Grit?

Old
07-31-2005, 12:47 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:

Foote kaberle
covo mcacbe
pilar klee
white belak

I'm with you that we need a big body, that is willing to take some punnishment and take guys out in front of the net. Foote would be perfect, but it would be great if we could pick up one more person, I don't know who is available, that can also fit that role. Carlo is not a small man, but I'm not sure he's ready for that role, and McCabe is tough, but hasn't always been willing.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:49 PM
Aki Berg

Quote:

Foote kaberle
covo mcacbe
pilar klee
white belak

Aki's the best 6th Defenseman to ever play the game.

Aki brings stability to the 3rd Defense pairing.

Last year Aki ripped apart the SEL for Timra.

2004-05 Timra IK SEL 47 6 14 20 46

Last fall, Aki carried the Finnish world cup team on his back to the finals against Canada.

Plus Aki's locker room presence can't be replaced with a Karel Pilar.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:51 PM
joepeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Berg

Last fall, Aki carried the Finnish world cup team on his back to the finals against Canada.

agreed Aki is really good and uunderrated... you don't think he is good becaseu you never hear his name... but thats what you want out of a D-man... if you don't hear his name, that means he isn't ****in up the play...

Old
07-31-2005, 12:55 PM
richardn

Quote:

That has got to be the funniest post ever. Berg's days are numbered in Toronto if you ask me. Pilar is younger cheaper just as big, more fierce and has way more upside then Berg. Pilar will definatly take the 5th or 6th spot from Berg this year. Pilar was a second team All-Star in the SEL last year and was not to far off of Kaberle. Berg is going to be shown the door with no qualifying offer given.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:56 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:

Aki Berg is the greatest of all time. He spends his off season with Rickey Henderson and he's had quite the influence.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:58 PM
darrylsittler27

pilar can hit!

Dont kid yourself,go look closer at footage of pilar he can shoot and he loves to hit.In fact hes mean,and looks to hit guys hard.He has a cannon for a shot but has had health problems which it looks like he is overcoming.Any weakness you saw came from 2 years of little activity.I dont care he took a run at primeau,thats more than i can say for a lot of other leafs.Any other team would have labelled primeau but we just watched.No wonder pilar just said to hell with it and ran him.other teams do it to us and we get a penalty,we do it to them and our hearts bleed for the other team as they move on to the next round.We cry for philly,one of the biggest meanest teams in the league led by Booby clarke.If we dont get tougher in the back end,we better change divisions.What if we meet Joe thornton and boston?Pilar is a good number 5 who can play PP.Berg is a lot of nothing but promise that rarely shows up.Im ready for some new blood and ill take a guy who runs at primeau over a guy who watches in awe as he scores.

Old
07-31-2005, 12:59 PM
Raven25

As regards the cap, much of it (this scenario - Foote) will depend on what Antro and Poni are willing to come into the fold for as forwards.. it's a totally grey area as to what Foote's services could be attained for in this NNHL environment but I have a feeling whatever it will be won't work. I'd love to see Foote come to the Leafs, but money constraints and what he'll likely ask..

Now as an option (I think) isn't Tomas Kloucek an UFA? (anyone..?) this is a guy I've been keeping tabs on for a while.. large, very physical, effective in the crease-from what I've read. If so, could he be in the fold? At a guesstimate price?

no order - Kabs, McCabe, Klee, Kloucek, Colaiacovo, Berg

hmm...

Old
07-31-2005, 01:03 PM
Aki Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
That has got to be the funniest post ever. Berg's days are numbered in Toronto if you ask me. Pilar is younger cheaper just as big, more fierce and has way more upside then Berg. Pilar will definatly take the 5th or 6th spot from Berg this year. Pilar was a second team All-Star in the SEL last year and was not to far off of Kaberle. Berg is going to be shown the door with no qualifying offer given.
Aki hopes he gets his Q.O., Aki's already spent half of it on Aki's new wheels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aberg.jpg‎ (20.3 KB, 62 views)

Old
07-31-2005, 01:03 PM
richardn

Quote:
Dont kid yourself,go look closer at footage of pilar he can shoot and he loves to hit.In fact hes mean,and looks to hit guys hard.He has a cannon for a shot but has had health problems which it looks like he is overcoming.Any weakness you saw came from 2 years of little activity.I dont care he took a run at primeau,thats more than i can say for a lot of other leafs.Any other team would have labelled primeau but we just watched.No wonder pilar just said to hell with it and ran him.other teams do it to us and we get a penalty,we do it to them and our hearts bleed for the other team as they move on to the next round.We cry for philly,one of the biggest meanest teams in the league led by Booby clarke.If we dont get tougher in the back end,we better change divisions.What if we meet Joe thornton and boston?Pilar is a good number 5 who can play PP.Berg is a lot of nothing but promise that rarely shows up.Im ready for some new blood and ill take a guy who runs at primeau over a guy who watches in awe as he scores.
You forgot to mention that Pilar is a pretty damb good skater . Honestly I look at Pilar and I see a mixture of McCabe and Kaberle in him. He is a pretty well rounded defender who just needs some more experience and confidence. I see him as a solid 3'rd or 4th d-man in a few years.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:06 PM
richardn

Quote:
Look's like to me Aki is filling out an aplication at the MacDonald's drive thru.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:08 PM
Aki Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Look's like to me Aki is filling out an aplication at the MacDonald's drive thru.

Just signing autographs for Aki's legion of followers.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:12 PM
Raven25

Quote:
Dont kid yourself,go look closer at footage of pilar he can shoot and he loves to hit.In fact hes mean,and looks to hit guys hard.He has a cannon for a shot but has had health problems which it looks like he is overcoming..
An aside, but a few years back when I was still in Victoria I met and played some puck with a Czech guy from Kladno who knows both Kaberle and Pilar personally ( he was in Canada for a work exchange and had a girlfriend from victoria). He told me that Pilar had tonnes of skill and size but was a heavy boozer and out of shape most of the time but got by in Czech on his pure skill and big shot.. and further when the Leafs were in Van. 2nd time that year (5-2 predictable Leafs win ) he met Kaberle and Kabs said to him -allegedly - that Pilar was way too out of shape to be an NHL player despite the fact he had so much skill .. . for whatever it's worth but this guy I knew was a damn good player on my team and knew his hockey and knows everyone from Kladno - including Jagr

Old
07-31-2005, 01:13 PM
richardn

Quote:
Legion of followers. When you wake up you will realize that Aki-Ville is a made up fantasy land that doesn't exist and Aki's legion of followers can be counted on one hand.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:03 PM
Raging Bull

I didn't know that Aki could properly operate a motor vehicle. Do you think he drives over or under 30k/hr?

Old
07-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:

You know I am not really a big Aki Berg fan myself .. but for your sake and determination shown for him I am kind of wishing now you get your wish ..

Old
07-31-2005, 02:11 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Is he driving a camaro? If so, he just won me over.

Old
07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
berney fkaj

A Berg-Pilar 3 line pairing is alright in my books, as long as they trade for or sign a good quality tough d-man.

Kabs-McCabe
Colio-Foote,Pronger,Zhit, (get rid of Klee)
Berg-Pilar,

Spares-Harrison,Bell, and White

Old
07-31-2005, 04:09 PM
albathegreat*

Quote:
The millions and millions of the Berg fans.

Old
07-31-2005, 04:25 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

Quote:
That does it..Aki has GOT to go. By the looks of those shades he has become full of himself. His quiet, invisible nature was his only redeeming quality.

Bring the Foote, or the Pronger is even better.

Old
07-31-2005, 05:04 PM
Slink

I'd take Berg over Pilar anyday.

Old
07-31-2005, 05:09 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
LOL.. and have you got a look at the expensive gold chain he wears whenever he plays!

Old
07-31-2005, 06:24 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven25
An aside, but a few years back when I was still in Victoria I met and played some puck with a Czech guy from Kladno who knows both Kaberle and Pilar personally ( he was in Canada for a work exchange and had a girlfriend from victoria). He told me that Pilar had tonnes of skill and size but was a heavy boozer and out of shape most of the time but got by in Czech on his pure skill and big shot.. and further when the Leafs were in Van. 2nd time that year (5-2 predictable Leafs win ) he met Kaberle and Kabs said to him -allegedly - that Pilar was way too out of shape to be an NHL player despite the fact he had so much skill .. . for whatever it's worth but this guy I knew was a damn good player on my team and knew his hockey and knows everyone from Kladno - including Jagr
Yeah that sounds like Pilar. It's obvious he has skills, he just looks like crap a lot of the time.

Old
07-31-2005, 06:28 PM
It Kills Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by berney fkaj
A Berg-Pilar 3 line pairing is alright in my books, as long as they trade for or sign a good quality tough d-man.

Kabs-McCabe
Colio-Foote,Pronger,Zhit, (get rid of Klee)
Berg-Pilar,

Spares-Harrison,Bell, and White
Just what I want too.

Closed Thread