HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Letting go Holik could hurt

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 01:10 PM
Graveytrain

vCash: 500
Letting go Holik could hurt

Who is going to replace him? It's money saved to use on another free agent you say. Who might that be?

Sure a ton of bodies will be moving, and some younger guys at that. Does anyone really think that the types of players we need will have the Rangers higher then 25th on their list? We dont have the ability to overspend anymore, and if we do it will cost the franchise for many years. Nylander as a no.1 center is nothing short of funny.

Most likely we will be left with table scraps. Forsberg/Naslund? Ya right... sure as a fan id love to watch those 2 and Jagr every night, but seeing those guys get 1:45 of PP time while youngsters are supposed to "watch and learn" doesnt seem right.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:12 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
What does it really matter? It's financial freedom now and for next year for a guy who really does not make of break the team. With or without Holik, this team was going to be hard-pressed to make the playoffs.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:18 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
What does it really matter? It's financial freedom now and for next year for a guy who really does not make of break the team. With or without Holik, this team was going to be hard-pressed to make the playoffs.

IMO it matters more then you think... Maloney/Renney/whoever is running the team on a given day has stated they will be signing free agents.

Financial freedom to do what? Still cant see why any meaningful player with a desire to win would want to get near this frachise for the next 4-5 years. That means lazy/overpaid vets who were rejected by 20 other teams... Sure Holik may fit into the overpaid category, but at least he was signed. IMO the head honchos at MSG will be surprised at the cold shoulder they get upon exploring the free agent market.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:23 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveytrain
IMO it matters more then you think... Maloney/Renney/whoever is running the team on a given day has stated they will be signing free agents.

Financial freedom to do what? Still cant see why any meaningful player with a desire to win would want to get near this frachise for the next 4-5 years. That means lazy/overpaid vets who were rejected by 20 other teams... Sure Holik may fit into the overpaid category, but at least he was signed. IMO the head honchos at MSG will be surprised at the cold shoulder they get upon exploring the free agent market.
You're going to get a serviceable player for a lot less than Holik would have cost.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:27 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
You're going to get a serviceable player for a lot less than Holik would have cost.

I think thats a longshot, why would said player want to come to this orginization? He's not going to win

Old
07-31-2005, 01:30 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
I think thats a longshot, why would said player want to come to this orginization? He's not going to win
Because with the Cap, there is only so much money to go around. And Holik at 6+ is equally overpriced as he was at 9M precap and pre-rollback. Actually it's a bigger financial hardship.

And letting Holik go is not just for this year, but next year as well.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Firefly

Send a message via AIM to Firefly Send a message via Skype™ to Firefly
Quote:
Good lord if I hear that again I'm going to shoot myself.

Some players may care about winning and padding their stats, but good lord, half the league isn't winning every season. Why do those players stay where they are? Why aren't all the Hurricanes and Thrashers and Coyotes running for the hills just because they aren't winning??

Players will also play for money (GASP!) and loyalty or hell, just to play.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
Because with the Cap, there is only so much money to go around. And Holik at 6+ is equally overpriced as he was at 9M precap and pre-rollback. Actually it's a bigger financial hardship.

And letting Holik go is not just for this year, but next year as well.

So after knocking on the door of 20 other teams, someone will sign here for a payday. Havent we heard this story before? Usually were the first to throw money at a player, now we will be close to last. The end result is pretty much the same, even if the means are slightly different. A veteran looking for a home toward the end of his career.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:35 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
So after knocking on the door of 20 other teams, someone will sign here for a payday. Havent we heard this story before? Usually were the first to throw money at a player, now we will be close to last. The end result is pretty much the same, even if the means are slightly different. A veteran looking for a home toward the end of his career.
So you would rather have Bobby Holik here for a payday? What's the difference?

Old
07-31-2005, 01:35 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3shirt
Good lord if I hear that again I'm going to shoot myself.

Some players may care about winning and padding their stats, but good lord, half the league isn't winning every season. Why do those players stay where they are? Why aren't all the Hurricanes and Thrashers and Coyotes running for the hills just because they aren't winning??

Players will also play for money (GASP!) and loyalty or hell, just to play.

Ok, why would any of those players want to come here?

Old
07-31-2005, 01:37 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
So you would rather have Bobby Holik here for a payday? What's the difference?
Probably rather have a guy who's been here for a couple of years, at least you knew what you were getting.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:38 PM
BwayBshirt

even though free agents might not want to come into a rebuilding/losing situation, some will come simply for the money.

newsflash: not everyone will be looking to take a substantial paycut to go to a contender. there will always be guys looking to cash in. and there will always be good guys looking to cash in.

and it's not like we'll need a million "franchise" players to sign. all it would take is one or 2 guys, not even a handful of role players, and belief in our prospects.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:40 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Probably rather have a guy who's been here for a couple of years, at least you knew what you were getting.
You know what your getting? How great is that?

You might be able to get two or three less prominent players for less money than just Holik.

Again, this is financial relief for two seasons.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:42 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
You know what your getting? How great is that?

You might be able to get two or three less prominent players for less money than just Holik.

Again, this is financial relief for two seasons.
"might" is the key word there

Old
07-31-2005, 01:46 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

We've entered a new era in the NHL - the salary cap era. If buying out Holik this year means more cap flexibility to sign a Thornton, Lacavalier or whomever down the road, then I'm all for it.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:48 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
"might" is the key word there
I would rather free myself of big contract than have Holik's money on the books for the next two years.

If you are last in line to pay players (as is your concern) you are in a much better place to make financial offers. Holik was overpaid and was even more so in a finacially limited setting.

The biggest point is this team has never been further away from the playoffs. And 6M+ checking center is just not a luxury a team like the Rangers can afford.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:48 PM
Horizon

How would they sign another key player or more, which they need, when one player is making 9 m.

We can get a grinder who can score like him for far cheaper, and well thats what I like and its a nice change of pace as we will not be overpaying anymore....thank God!

Old
07-31-2005, 01:49 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
We've entered a new era in the NHL - the salary cap era. If buying out Holik this year means more cap flexibility to sign a Thornton, Lacavalier or whomever down the road, then I'm all for it.
Sorry, just dont see players of this caliber having an interest in playing here in the next few years. I think a lot of folks are in for a rude awakening, if that possible after the last 7 years, but it seems like a lot of people are getting there hopes up

Old
07-31-2005, 01:50 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
What's also being overlooked here is the Rangers are not an all together unattractive place to play. It's an Original Six team in New York. It's a chance to play with Jagr. It is a team that has finally started building for the future.

There are worse places to play.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:52 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

But, once again, it will be about how teams manage the cap. If Detroit or Dallas (for example) DON'T have room to pay players of that ilk, I think many players are going to go where they can get that kind of money.

Old
07-31-2005, 01:52 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
I would rather free myself of big contract than have Holik's money on the books for the next two years.

If you are last in line to pay players (as is your concern) you are in a much better place to make financial offers. Holik was overpaid and was even more so in a finacially limited setting.

The biggest point is this team has never been further away from the playoffs. And 6M+ checking center is just not a luxury a team like the Rangers can afford.
25 goals, 60 points is pretty good for a "checking center"...

Old
07-31-2005, 01:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
25 goals, 60 points is pretty good for a "checking center"...
What means more to this team right now? Financial flexibility for the future or a checking center (even one that scores 25 goals and 60 points)?

Old
07-31-2005, 02:01 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
What means more to this team right now? Financial flexibility for the future or a checking center (even one that scores 25 goals and 60 points)?
I think you know my answer since we are having this conversation... I think the financial flexibility some see will not do much to help this team at all. at least in the short term, just MO.

Old
07-31-2005, 02:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
That's short-sited. Holik is due 6.75 this season. Is he worth that kind of investment? With Jagr at 8M+ thats a huge cap commitment on two players.

Two years from now, would you want to be paying 6M+ a year for a 36 year old Bobby Holik?

Old
07-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Graveytrain

Quote:
That's short-sited. Holik is due 6.75 this season. Is he worth that kind of investment? With Jagr at 8M+ thats a huge cap commitment on two players.

Two years from now, would you want to be paying 6M+ a year for a 36 year old Bobby Holik?
You trust slats to spend that money wisely the next couple years? IMO the fact that we have only 2 veteran fowards under contract at present time will force slats to do something else stupid. Personally id almost rather we didnt have the flexibilty, even though i dont belive anyone comes here anyway. but weve been thru that.

Closed Thread