Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Yeo Discussion #2

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Doobz89

vCash: 500
what do you guys think about Guy Boucher? he seemed to have a little fire in his belly

Old
12-30-2013, 01:17 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz89 View Post
what do you guys think about Guy Boucher? he seemed to have a little fire in his belly
Meh. He would be interesting but a Yeo type.

Old
12-30-2013, 01:18 PM
sushinsky4tsar

C'mon Leipold, time to butter up the Mrs. Have her cut you off some fat stacks. Somebody needs to fix your toy.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 106
I keep looking at NHL talk, expecting a "Wild fire Yeo" thread. I really expect it to happen.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:21 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
Knew he wouldn't get the axe already.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:33 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Lagoon View Post
I keep looking at NHL talk, expecting a "Wild fire Yeo" thread. I really expect it to happen.
If he got to the practice he is safe for today and tomorrow. Man after last night I cannot believe he has a job.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:35 PM
00xtremeninja
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 435
nonononono its perfect, see we will get absolutely mullered by the Blues and then Yeo will be fired and will have an excuse to get properly sauced tomorrow night as he brings in the new years packing his shyt

Old
12-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Podgornik

We need Herb Brooks reincarnation to fix this mess right now. I seriously can't comprehend how we got SO bad SO fast.

Old
12-30-2013, 02:56 PM
forthewild

Don or bust *****es, Don or bust

Old
12-30-2013, 02:57 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgornik View Post
We need Herb Brooks reincarnation to fix this mess right now. I seriously can't comprehend how we got SO bad SO fast.
Honestly? Injuries. First Bacon goes down with his cheekbone for a few weeks. Granlund was down for a few weeks and that is when this losing streak began. Then Parise went down with his foot. And Suter has some unknown injury right now.

Your top guys are going down and the middle ground guys can't get over the hump to consistently win you games. Nevermind the bottom 3 and Bottom 2 are not even NHL players IMO. Our key depth everyone talks about are players who just are not ready to play at this level yet.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:00 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

I got to wonder if Rick Wilson would do any better right now.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
sushinsky4tsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Oct 3 - Nov 23:

Win% 0.708
GFA 2.67
GAA 2.29
Shot Diff +3.250
Goal Diff -0.583
Shot% 0.093
Save% 0.910
PP% 0.224
PP Opp 3.542

Opposing team average win% 0.546
With Yeo on the defensive, he has made some reference to this not being the system, and pointing to this stretch of hockey as proof that it works. In other words, this is what peak performance looks like under Yeo with this roster. I don't know about everyone else, but this stretch of hockey never looked like a team poised to make a deep playoff run to me. First and foremost, it looked like a backup goalie that was playing out of his mind. And yes, the defense was playing much better. But it was unrealistic to expect elite goaltending all season from a Harding/Backstrom tandem. Collectively, we all knew that this wasn't an elite top-5 defense in the NHL.

So much of the resources of this team has been put in to the forward group. They weren't looking the part then and they sure aren't looking the part now. If 2.67 GF is what Yeo's machine looks like when it's humming along at full speed, it's time to scrap that machine. Holding teams to 2.29 GA was not sustainable for this roster composition. Maybe if you have two more Suters sitting in your second pairing, but not the way this roster was constructed. On paper, this team should be about an offensive group that carries the play, a balanced scoring attack even if it's void of a pure 40+ goal scorer, with a strong two-way presence that helps supplement suspect second and third pairing defensemen.

Am I 100% convinced that it's all on Yeo and his system? No. But at this point I still believe in the talent and character of guys like Parise, Pominville, and Koivu. There's enough talent in the younger guys like Granlund, Nino, Coyle, and Zucker that they should absolutely factor in as secondary scorers that can flash from time to time when a guy like Parise goes down to injury. I know there's nothing wrong with the likes of Cooke, Mitchell, and Konopka if you're only asking them to hold down a bottom six role.

Fletcher needs to go out and find a coach that's going to unleash this talent. If he fails to find a coach that's going to make this look noticeably better this season, then he needs to be the next to go. If he makes the right coaching hire, but we find out that we have all overrated the talent and/or character of these aforementioned players, then his record in free agency, trades, and the draft takes a huge hit.

Signing Suter and drafting Brodin isn't enough. Granlund needs to look like a guy that's going to put up 60 points next season. If Koivu can't make a top line pairing with Pominville or Parise work, he needs to be an an absolute anchor on the second. Too much was invested in Pominville for him to disappear the way he has. Coyle needs to hold down a center spot or chip in some goals on the wing. Otherwise, that's a second brutal trade on GMCF's resume. Zucker and Nino need to be part of the goal scoring equation.

Old
12-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podgornik View Post
I think Russo said it best in his latest blog: we are relying on three 21-year-olds in our top 6. That's a lot of responsibility to hand over to such young players and you can't expect them to do like established veterans right off the bat. Of course this isn't the only issue this team has but it's a part of it that you can't ignore. In order to give the kids some help, there should be secondary scoring coming from our veterans. This means everyone except Parise, Pommer and Koivu. That secondary scoring hasn't really been there. I'm looking at Heatley and Brodz for the most part.

When the season was starting, I think most people here acknowledged we were going into the season with some question marks. We had to let players like Cullen go, there was no other choice. Even when the season started, there was a risk we would be a worse team than last season, but not a complete bottom feeder like the geniuses at ESPN predicted.

There are a lot of things Yeo can do and I think he's made mistakes, but there have also been factors influencing this team he has no control over. So you can only put some of the blame on him.

If we were to fire Yeo and hire another coach, here's what I would look for:

- a simple and clear system for the defense corps to play (I think the defense is the area on this team that requires the most work from a head coach because there isn't all that much quality in the backend)

- only basic guidelines and framework for the offense, don't restrict the top 6 too much. Our best forwards can play in any system, and they can guide and offer support to the younger forwards.

- as for personality, it should be someone who can truly gain the respect of everyone on the team but still knows how to handle people. Perhaps someone who's a bit of a tough guy, but not Tortorella-style. No more rookie coaches!

Old
12-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Sharppi
Nothing to see here

vCash: 827
Epic avatar time!

Old
12-30-2013, 04:24 PM
forthewild

The best part is now we'll win the next like 5 games, but we'll end up missing the playoffs by one point.

Don or Bust

Old
12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
forthewild

Can anyone do a In Don we trust avatar?

Old
12-30-2013, 04:44 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharppi View Post
Epic avatar time!
Not even the church can save him.

Old
12-30-2013, 05:52 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

The only reason I think Fletcher is keeping Yeo is because he's the best option.

Old
12-30-2013, 06:07 PM
Digitalbooya
Wisco hockey! 1-1-3!

What's up with the "in don we trust" and "don or bust" being thrown around?

Old
12-30-2013, 06:17 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbooya View Post
What's up with the "in don we trust" and "don or bust" being thrown around?
I have no idea who Don is?

This guy?

Old
12-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Wild48
Ski U Mah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

This guy?

Old
12-30-2013, 07:37 PM
MN_Gopher

I am sure if someone told CF that in a few years you will have the likes of Nino, Coyle, Parise, Suter and Pommer he might have changed his mind on hiring Yeo in the first place.

Instead he went with a young coach to coach a young team.

We move Havlat for a more expensive but few year commit in Heatley. Parish comes off this year. We will have 10 mil plus. After Prosser, Konopka and Rupp come off.

We are left with lots of cap space for next year. We have star power. We have youth. We need a coach that can handle that. I do not think Yeo was going to be that guy this early on. We got several gifts in FA, trades and the draft.

We need a guy that can consistently handle the pressure of running a top NHL team. Yeo has shown the ability to collapse. You cannot win a CUP with a coach that cannot muster a must win game at home against a junk team.

Old
12-30-2013, 07:41 PM
Dee Oh Cee

It's definitely simplifying a ton and it's obviously not the reason for all this but Mr. Marc-Edouard Vlasic could be deemed to be the person who cost Mike Yeo his job...the domino effect of what he did at least.

Old
12-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post

This guy?

Oh hell yes. There would definitely be no lack of physicality on this team anymore.

Old
12-30-2013, 09:05 PM
tyratoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northland Wild Man View Post
Oh hell yes. There would definitely be no lack of physicality on this team anymore.
We would also never be able to dress a European player ever again.

Closed Thread