Mike Yeo Discussion #2

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 04:53 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by grN1g View Post
Yeo's rep to us even before made head coach is that gets alot out of our young guys, but seems up until these 4 key significant injuries and drastic drop in play from backs he couldn't get the young guys and vets going on the same page every night until eventually not a single game at all and that was the major collapse we witnessed. Question is, now that hes showing he can win with young players can he do it every night with a healthy team? If he can't, he should not be our head coach next year plain and simple, and i think same goes for the entire coaching staff and not just Yeo.
Pretty good assessment. There certainly can be some perception that he cannot handle the vets as say someone like JQ, Babcock, Blysma, Hitchcock, or even Torts. Hell Lemaire was able to as well.

These are prideful group of humans who have always been told by their coaches they didn't need to be coached because they can play all facets of the game incredibly well. And they've been told that since they've been in the league as well. Look at how fans view Koivu and Parise and even Suter in that aspect as opposed to Granlund, Coyle, and Zucker. How many people are more likely to throw those 3 under the microscope and pick apart their game as opposed to the other 3?

Old
01-13-2014, 09:00 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Etoile du Nord

vCash: 300
Claude Noel for coach. Guy's awesome.

Old
01-13-2014, 09:20 PM
Dampland

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
The other positive these injuries created wis that it seemed to light a fire under some certain player's behinds, most notably Coyle.
I don't think this lit a fire under Coyle. I think it is rather a case of Coyle realizing that he had to take the lead, since no one else was stepping up. I feel like Coyle might play better without Koivu and Parise in the future. Like he feels he needs to take a back seat to them when he is on their line.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:02 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post

Then all of our young players leave.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:19 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
I don't think this lit a fire under Coyle. I think it is rather a case of Coyle realizing that he had to take the lead, since no one else was stepping up. I feel like Coyle might play better without Koivu and Parise in the future. Like he feels he needs to take a back seat to them when he is on their line.
Yeah, that's what I meant.

Old
01-13-2014, 10:26 PM
Al Lagoon

vCash: 70
Dampland, I think you nailed it. Deferring to vets can be debilitating for guys respectful of tradition like Coyle, or most of the Wild youth. Nino is cockier than the rest, he defers to no one, which is great, hence his early success, but the others seem more respectful of veterans, in terms of affecting their decisions to shoot, etc. Maybe it's because Nino comes from a country with few hockey stars to admire/respect.

I just hope they keep it up when MK and ZP come back. This team could kick some ass.

Old
01-13-2014, 11:59 PM
BagHead

Quote:

If we don't lead the league in points, we certainly would in quotes.

Old
01-15-2014, 02:41 AM
TZM
Par too easy

So, yeah... Yeo's systems don't seem to work that in the long run. I think he's titled the system in its entireness something like Work safely. The offense is titled Expect the expected and the defense is Break your bones.

Old
01-15-2014, 08:52 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZM View Post
So, yeah... Yeo's systems don't seem to work that in the long run. I think he's titled the system in its entireness something like Work safely. The offense is titled Expect the expected and the defense is Break your bones.
What do you expect from someone who never played in the NHL and was known as a defensive/penalty player? He had 127 points in 317 games with Houston when they were IHL and 511 penalty minutes.

His style of play for himself was completely opposite of what he is expecting these players to do. I question if he knows how to do offensive schematic even. Was pretty easy in Pittsburgh when you had Crosby-Malkin-Staal as your top 3 centers. And Letang, Gonchar, Orpik, Goligoski on your blue line and MAF playing great to go down and score a ton of goals.

Old
01-15-2014, 09:16 AM
Death of Rats

Quote:
Well we could try to convince Lemaire to come back. He still has the best ones. And he actually could probably get us to the playoffs even.

Old
01-15-2014, 04:07 PM
J22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
What do you expect from someone who never played in the NHL and was known as a defensive/penalty player? He had 127 points in 317 games with Houston when they were IHL and 511 penalty minutes.

His style of play for himself was completely opposite of what he is expecting these players to do. I question if he knows how to do offensive schematic even. Was pretty easy in Pittsburgh when you had Crosby-Malkin-Staal as your top 3 centers. And Letang, Gonchar, Orpik, Goligoski on your blue line and MAF playing great to go down and score a ton of goals.
are you really gonna use that argument? How far Mike Yeo made it as a player has zero bearing on how good of a coach he is/can be.

How many games did Scotty Bowman play in the NHL?

Last edited by Jarick: 01-15-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: sent PM
Old
01-15-2014, 04:25 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough jerky View Post
Well we could try to convince Lemaire to come back. He still has the best ones. And he actually could probably get us to the playoffs even.
**** no please. Just someone that knows how to combine winning and entertaining hockey. They're not everywhere, but we ought to try.

Old
01-15-2014, 04:37 PM
HDZx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
**** no please. Just someone that knows how to combine winning and entertaining hockey. They're not everywhere, but we ought to try.
I love hockey, I don't give a **** about "entertainment" I care about the team winning.

Old
01-15-2014, 04:41 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopping Pucks View Post
I love hockey, I don't give a **** about "entertainment" I care about the team winning.
He is off the books anyways and its time this team actually tries something creative now that its amassing the talent for it.

Old
01-15-2014, 04:54 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopping Pucks View Post
This. Win first. Then worry about making it entertaining.

The only way I want to see entertainment first is if I've got a team that could not possibly win anything in a million years. Basically Edmonton or Buffalo.

Old
01-15-2014, 04:55 PM
OpRedDawn*

Kinda funny how we have the name Wild but have been one of the most boring teams every year since we've been in the league

Old
01-16-2014, 08:36 AM
Death of Rats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxlockbox View Post
It was just a counter joke to another joke. To be honest Lemaire might cost us few of our young guys as they might not be pleased in the way Lemaire would use them (based on the vague memory on how Lemaire used the youth of the team).

Old
01-16-2014, 10:33 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

I liked Lemaire, but the dude is retired - he is done in the NHL. After his last stint in Jersey I can't ever see him coming back.

Let's also keep in mind that the game really has changed since he last did well. His style of hockey just doesn't really work anymore.

The game has progressed to be more puck possession and less of the grinding - hence some of our troubles with Yeo.

Old
01-16-2014, 10:55 AM
BigT2002

See how it goes when the other 4 come back from injuries. The depth has shown it can score goals.

Last edited by BigT2002: 01-16-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old
01-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRedDawn View Post
Kinda funny how we have the name Wild but have been one of the most boring teams every year since we've been in the league
/like

Which rookie coaches have been hired in the last 10 years or so and went on to have great success with their team without having a bunch of elite players in the lineup?

I think that's my biggest concern. Yeo and Richards were hired during a wave of "hot young coaches from the minors" that seemed to start after the success of McClellan and Bylsma. But those teams were pretty well loaded.

Where are those coaches now?

Joe Sacco was hired by the Avalanche after coaching in the minors for a couple years. The Avs snuck into the playoffs in year one, then failed to qualify the next three years and he was fired.

Todd Richards was hired by the Wild after having success with the Penguins' AHL affiliate. He failed to make the playoffs with the Wild two years and was fired. Then he went on to the Blue Jackets and has failed to make the playoffs twice so far.

Glen Gulutzan joined the Stars after many years as a winning ECHL coach. He coached Dallas for two years and failed to make the playoffs both years.

Ralph Kruger was hired by the Oilers after coaching in Germany for many years. He lasted one year with the Oilers continuing to miss the playoffs.

Pete DeBoer was hired by Florida as a very successful coach in the minors. He missed the playoffs for three years and was fired. He went on to lead New Jersey to the Stanley Cup Finals, then missed the playoffs last year.

Kevin Deneen was hired by Florida after many years in the minors. He made the playoffs his first year with the team, then missed last year, and was fired this year.

Jack Capuano was hired by the Islanders after paying his dues with the organization. They missed the playoffs two years, then made the playoffs last year, but are probably going to miss this year.

Davis Payne was hired by the Blues after a couple seasons with the minor league team. The blues missed the playoffs his first two years and were headed in the wrong direction when he was fired and replaced by Ken Hitchcock, who got them to play so well that he won the Jack Adams trophy.

Guy Boucher was hired by the Lightning after lots of success in the minor leagues. The Bolts made a nice playoff run his first year, then failed to make the playoffs the next two years and he was fired.

Claude Noel was hired by the Jets after years in the minors and a stint as interim coach for the Jackets. They haven't made the playoffs yet and he was fired last week.

Mike Yeo was hired by the Wild after a deep run with the Aeros. The Wild missed the playoffs in epic fashion his first year, scraped into the playoffs on a tiebreaker his second year, and are sitting right on the edge this year.

For these recent rookie head coaches, that's 5 playoff appearances in 29 seasons. Those aren't good odds.

That's why I want the next coach to be experienced. I am not seeing great success out of young, hotshot coaches, unless they have a ton of elite talent in the lineup (Bylsma, McClellan, maybe Roy?).

Old
01-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

So if somehow we lose tonight, does that possibly mean Yeo gets canned? Or has he won too much lately for him to be fired like that?

Old
01-16-2014, 12:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm skeptical of Fletcher doing anything at all this season.

Old
01-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Captain Catatomic
SuprstitionCondition

Send a message via ICQ to Captain Catatomic
Hey if u guys hire Robinson I'll switch teams =-)

Old
01-16-2014, 01:35 PM
DumbaTrain
YouWantSome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
So if somehow we lose tonight, does that possibly mean Yeo gets canned? Or has he won too much lately for him to be fired like that?
Wont but should.

I think Yeo is a decent coach, but he wont get us any closer to a cup then we are now.

Old
01-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Avder
Animated to Explode

Quote:
Originally Posted by SphinX View Post
Wont but should.

I think Yeo is a decent coach, but he wont get us any closer to a cup then we are now.
Yeah... sigh.

Closed Thread