HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Yeo Discussion #2

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-05-2014, 08:35 PM
  #776
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Country: United States
Posts: 24,531
vCash: 241
Uhh... Doesn't Yeo have a Stanley Cup ring too?

Minnesota is online now  
Old
02-05-2014, 08:36 PM
  #777
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Uhh... Doesn't Yeo have a Stanley Cup ring too?
Good point!

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 09:05 PM
  #778
Tony253
#DSTP
 
Tony253's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Uhh... Doesn't Yeo have a Stanley Cup ring too?
Not as a head coach...like Laviolette does.

Tony253 is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 09:08 PM
  #779
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony253 View Post
Not as a head coach...like Laviolette does.
.... and so does John Torterella. Big deal. Means little in the long run.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 10:14 PM
  #780
Avder
Animated to Explode
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ¯(°_o)/¯
Country: United States
Posts: 39,070
vCash: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
.... and so does John Torterella. Big deal. Means little in the long run.
He's a decent coach but generally known as someone who's more than a little crazy and an extreme hard-ass.

Hell, Gaborik accepted a trade to COLUMBUS to get away from him.

Avder is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 10:57 PM
  #781
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 21,634
vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
.... and so does John Torterella. Big deal. Means little in the long run.
Torts is a very good head coach.

TaLoN is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 11:37 PM
  #782
Blizzard6411
#benchstoner
 
Blizzard6411's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 1,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
.... and so does John Torterella. Big deal. Means little in the long run.
Uhmmmmm .......it means they won the Stanley Cup!

Isn't that the point?

Blizzard6411 is offline  
Old
02-05-2014, 11:58 PM
  #783
vitogor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Minnesota
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 3,587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Uhmmmmm .......it means they won the Stanley Cup!

Isn't that the point?
It doesn't mean they'll win it again.

vitogor is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 12:09 AM
  #784
gphr513
Moderator
Watch the world burn
 
gphr513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 14,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitogor View Post
It doesn't mean they'll win it again.
Well, it's not like winning more than one Cup is an easy thing to do...

Has any current coach other than Quenneville won it more than one time?

gphr513 is online now  
Old
02-06-2014, 01:10 AM
  #785
DumbaTrain
YouWantSome?
 
DumbaTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,654
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
He's a decent coach but generally known as someone who's more than a little crazy and an extreme hard-ass.

Hell, Gaborik accepted a trade to COLUMBUS to get away from him.
says alot..

DumbaTrain is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 07:38 AM
  #786
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blizzard6411 View Post
Uhmmmmm .......it means they won the Stanley Cup!

Isn't that the point?
Can you name the last head coach to lead two different teams to Stanley Cup champions? Give you a hint, it's only been done by three different individuals in the history of the NHL.

My point is that it's more likely that whichever coach that might eventually lead the Wild to a Stanley Cup championship will be winning their first as head coach. History has proven this to be the case.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 07:48 AM
  #787
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Torts is a very good head coach.
I disagree. He can't control his emotions and is a loose cannon. Very good coaches don't continually get run out of town.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 07:59 AM
  #788
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 21,634
vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I disagree. He can't control his emotions and is a loose cannon. Very good coaches don't continually get run out of town.
He's not the first hit headed coach who's been a good coach...Mike Ditka was a bigger hot head, yet he was also a very good coach.

Many good coaches get fired frequently...look at Hitchcock.

TaLoN is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 08:04 AM
  #789
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
He's not the first hit headed coach who's been a good coach...Mike Ditka was a bigger hot head, yet he was also a very good coach.

Many good coaches get fired frequently...look at Hitchcock.
Ditka was a great head coach with the Bears. Not so much with the Saints.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 08:19 AM
  #790
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 21,634
vCash: 370
He was simply too old by the time he coached the Saints.

TaLoN is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 08:52 AM
  #791
MN_Gopher
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Mpls
Posts: 3,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kfan22 View Post
Good god dude, look at the entire rosters of the teams! Dont just pick one player and match stats to another.
So where does Pomminville fit in?

Where does Brodin fit in?

Where does Spurgeon fit in?


You are seeing in black and white.

I would argue that Granlund would have way more points in CHI or SJ. Giving him more points and then to many who just do line by line number watching would make him a better player.

Same for Coyle and Nino.

Matt Cooke for what his does is about as good as any in the game. Draw penalities and kill them.

Now we have a collection of 7-8 guys with goalies that are comprable to anyones roster.

Look in the NBA Miami by all accounts is super stacked and have won 2/3 Chapionships and were pushed every time. Thats a game where you only need a few stars. They had no bench and should have lost to SanAn last year.

Seattle in the NFL. No Manning, Thomas x2, Decker etc... But they played as one unit and killed a team of Fantasy Football Stars.

MLB NY with the highest pay roll. Almost 70 mil more than Boston.

If our players would be better coached and utilized they would be better. Thus appearing to have just as a stacked roster as anyone.

Too many here have MinnesotaMediocritis. Its an infection where you think becasue they are from MN and not the Lynx that they can only be so good.

COL with Erik Johnson as their #1 d man. An almost cast off a few years ago? Statstny with 24 points in 40 games last year. Dropped off in every season since 09-10. Now he is back on top becasue of one good year? O'Reilly all ready has more goals this year by three than anyother in COL. What happended there? Varlomov's numbers way up from last year. Or is it the coach brining out the best in EJ, Statsny and others?

Hossa's highest goal total with CHi is 29 in 81 games a few years ago. He has 24 in 54 games this year. Carrer year. Pat Kane 30 goals in 09-10 has 27 in 59 this year. Carrer year. The closest Sharp has been to a ppg player was 71 pts in 74 games. This year 58 pts in 59 games. Career year. Seabrook is already tied for his second highest scoring year as a Hawk. On down the line. CHI is great this year. Why cannot we have a great year. Is Toews the best captain by such a long shot that he can bring this out. Not over Koivu, Parise and Suter even Pomms wore the letter in BUF. Is it coaching then? Bying into a total team game.

Steen off to a career year. Luck, coaching meshing proper linmates? Oshie off to a career year in points. Boumeester all ready his highest point total since 08-09. Again what is it? Luck, coaching?

So is Saad really that good? Could you put Coyle there and expect simular numbers? Would Saad have 40 points on this wild team? Who thinks Saad is better than Coyle because of what they have done?

Replace Nino with Tarsenko. Same draft ages 9 months apart. Would both players have simular numbers if they switched teams? I would bet Ninos would go up in STL and Tarasnekos would drop in MN.

Give me your break down of who vs. who is better. Its easy to look at team success or stat success and traslate it over.

I see Parise a guy who once put up 94 points and see no reason why he cannot be a point per gamer in MN. Granlund who was at a point per in the WC and his team won gold. Who was 17 points in 23 WJ games. Thats tougher competion than he sees in the NHL. Yet his points are far lower.

Heatley, Brodziak have both put up worse points totals in each year in MN. Gilberts numbers were better in EDM and are now better in FL. Mitchels numbers way better in SJ.

Players under Yeo see a drop in production. Makes the whole team look bad. We are better than what we are doing.

MN_Gopher is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 08:59 AM
  #792
Dr Jan Itor
Registered User
 
Dr Jan Itor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MinneSNOWta
Posts: 17,291
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Granlund who was at a point per in the WC and his team won gold. Who was 17 points in 23 WJ games. Thats tougher competion than he sees in the NHL. Yet his points are far lower.
Granlund is not at a point-per-game player in the WC and the WJC is definitely not tougher competition than the NHL.

Dr Jan Itor is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 09:04 AM
  #793
Nino Noderreiter
Registered User
 
Nino Noderreiter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Twin Cities
Country: United States
Posts: 3,258
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
So where does Pomminville fit in?

Where does Brodin fit in?

Where does Spurgeon fit in?


You are seeing in black and white.

I would argue that Granlund would have way more points in CHI or SJ. Giving him more points and then to many who just do line by line number watching would make him a better player.

Same for Coyle and Nino.

Matt Cooke for what his does is about as good as any in the game. Draw penalities and kill them.

Now we have a collection of 7-8 guys with goalies that are comprable to anyones roster.

Look in the NBA Miami by all accounts is super stacked and have won 2/3 Chapionships and were pushed every time. Thats a game where you only need a few stars. They had no bench and should have lost to SanAn last year.

Seattle in the NFL. No Manning, Thomas x2, Decker etc... But they played as one unit and killed a team of Fantasy Football Stars.

MLB NY with the highest pay roll. Almost 70 mil more than Boston.

If our players would be better coached and utilized they would be better. Thus appearing to have just as a stacked roster as anyone.

Too many here have MinnesotaMediocritis. Its an infection where you think becasue they are from MN and not the Lynx that they can only be so good.

COL with Erik Johnson as their #1 d man. An almost cast off a few years ago? Statstny with 24 points in 40 games last year. Dropped off in every season since 09-10. Now he is back on top becasue of one good year? O'Reilly all ready has more goals this year by three than anyother in COL. What happended there? Varlomov's numbers way up from last year. Or is it the coach brining out the best in EJ, Statsny and others?

Hossa's highest goal total with CHi is 29 in 81 games a few years ago. He has 24 in 54 games this year. Carrer year. Pat Kane 30 goals in 09-10 has 27 in 59 this year. Carrer year. The closest Sharp has been to a ppg player was 71 pts in 74 games. This year 58 pts in 59 games. Career year. Seabrook is already tied for his second highest scoring year as a Hawk. On down the line. CHI is great this year. Why cannot we have a great year. Is Toews the best captain by such a long shot that he can bring this out. Not over Koivu, Parise and Suter even Pomms wore the letter in BUF. Is it coaching then? Bying into a total team game.

Steen off to a career year. Luck, coaching meshing proper linmates? Oshie off to a career year in points. Boumeester all ready his highest point total since 08-09. Again what is it? Luck, coaching?

So is Saad really that good? Could you put Coyle there and expect simular numbers? Would Saad have 40 points on this wild team? Who thinks Saad is better than Coyle because of what they have done?

Replace Nino with Tarsenko. Same draft ages 9 months apart. Would both players have simular numbers if they switched teams? I would bet Ninos would go up in STL and Tarasnekos would drop in MN.

Give me your break down of who vs. who is better. Its easy to look at team success or stat success and traslate it over.

I see Parise a guy who once put up 94 points and see no reason why he cannot be a point per gamer in MN. Granlund who was at a point per in the WC and his team won gold. Who was 17 points in 23 WJ games. Thats tougher competion than he sees in the NHL. Yet his points are far lower.

Heatley, Brodziak have both put up worse points totals in each year in MN. Gilberts numbers were better in EDM and are now better in FL. Mitchels numbers way better in SJ.

Players under Yeo see a drop in production. Makes the whole team look bad. We are better than what we are doing.
Agree with this 100%...but this has been the case with every Wild team in franchise history. It's about breaking a culture. We've tried 3 or 4 coaches over these 14 years and each coach has promised to implement a different system...in the end it's about a mentality. Is it the coach's job to change that mentality? Arguably. But i don't think it's something you can blame 100% on Yeo.

Nino Noderreiter is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 09:09 AM
  #794
Kari Takko
Registered User
 
Kari Takko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Metro, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 958
vCash: 500
Mike Keenan has a ring too. Doesn't make him a good coach over the long haul.

Hot headed coaches can be great in spurts, but that same hot-headedness is a detriment to their staying power. Look at the NYR last year... they quit playing, because they stopped listening. It also doesn't help when they create a tenuous relationship with the media. Once they stumble, that media starts talking about a change in coaching which bleeds over to the fans and eventually ownership.

All that said, when you hear the players talk about the Wild's tough stretch in December, most of them talk about how they weren't executing. Coaches coach and players play.

Yeo deserves an extension. Teams go through ups and downs. LA has lost 4 in a row. Should Sutter be fired? He's won a cup.

Kari Takko is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 09:16 AM
  #795
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Mike Keenan has a ring too. Doesn't make him a good coach over the long haul.

Hot headed coaches can be great in spurts, but that same hot-headedness is a detriment to their staying power. Look at the NYR last year... they quit playing, because they stopped listening. It also doesn't help when they create a tenuous relationship with the media. Once they stumble, that media starts talking about a change in coaching which bleeds over to the fans and eventually ownership.

All that said, when you hear the players talk about the Wild's tough stretch in December, most of them talk about how they weren't executing. Coaches coach and players play.

Yeo deserves an extension. Teams go through ups and downs. LA has lost 4 in a row. Should Sutter be fired? He's won a cup.
If the Wild make the postseason, I agree.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 09:18 AM
  #796
Avder
Animated to Explode
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ¯(°_o)/¯
Country: United States
Posts: 39,070
vCash: 64
The only way I want to see Yeo extended is if we start playing puck possession again, and we go at least 6 games into the post season.

Avder is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 09:23 AM
  #797
Ladde
Registered User
 
Ladde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwInS1095 View Post
Agree with this 100%...
Suter has stayed the same/improved while playing for the Wild.

Ladde is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 09:28 AM
  #798
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect
 
MuckOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: In a tree stand.
Country: United States
Posts: 8,314
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladde View Post
Suter has stayed the same/improved while playing for the Wild.
Spurgeon and Scandella, too. Parise's or Pominville's production haven't dropped either.

MuckOG is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 09:37 AM
  #799
Jarick
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 25,250
vCash: 500
Here's my big problem with extending Yeo:

2011-12:
FF% - 30th
5v5F/A - 29th
PP% - 27th
PK% - 15th

2012-13:
FF% - 18th
5v5F/A - 24th
PP% - 16th
PK% - 18th

2013-14:
FF% - 21st
5v5F/A - 11th
PP% - 16th
PK% - 20th

If you're looking at puck possession, 5v5 play, and special teams, he's been average to terrible for the last three years. When they have been winning, they are relying on really clutch goaltending.

Jarick is offline  
Old
02-06-2014, 10:08 AM
  #800
TZM
Par too easy
 
TZM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Kerava
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Here's my big problem with extending Yeo:

2011-12:
FF% - 30th
5v5F/A - 29th
PP% - 27th
PK% - 15th

2012-13:
FF% - 18th
5v5F/A - 24th
PP% - 16th
PK% - 18th

2013-14:
FF% - 21st
5v5F/A - 11th
PP% - 16th
PK% - 20th

If you're looking at puck possession, 5v5 play, and special teams, he's been average to terrible for the last three years. When they have been winning, they are relying on really clutch goaltending.
I understand the numbers a couple years back but he has been given assets that should lift those numbers up. I like Yeo's puck possession system but he hasn't shown any consistensy on it. He's always back to grinder's mentality whenever a game or two is lost. I'm not sure if he tries to adapt to the oppositions game plans too much or what is it, but the main point is that it lacks consistensy. Could be that he values play without the puck too heavily, what would be understandable with a roster that's less skilled. This team has enough of skill to make confident decisions and efficent puck movement, yet the puck is somehow dumped in without a reason.

I want the team to challenge the top tier teams on a regular basis, but with this dump in system, it's not happening. I'm not seeing the team developing their own system, I see a team that's changes the plans 6 times in a season. (I don't count the dump and chase as a system)

TZM is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2017 All Rights Reserved.