HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM Search: Part II (Tim Murray to be named GM)

Closed Thread

Old
01-01-2014, 09:25 PM
sjci

vCash: 313
After how Poile picked team USA and his process for it, I am scared ****less over Fenton. If he's learned everything from Poile, I want him as far away from this franchise as possible.

Old
01-02-2014, 08:46 AM
jc17

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Hope it's Futa! He not only has learned under Dean Lonbardi and winning the Stanley cup and finding players like Doughty, Kopitar, Simmonds, Johnson etc.

He has also learned under Tim Leiweke who was the CEO and President of AEG which owns the Lakers, Galaxy, And the Kings! All those teams have won major championships. In there leagues! He now runs Maple Leaf Sports and entertainment which owns the Raptors, Maple Leads and Toronto FC. He will turn them into winners.

All of that is really beneficial to Futa and he has won a Stanley cup and would get a lot of his commodities at his disposal from an owner with deep pockets. Big name prospects, extra draft picks etc.

Also wouldn't mind Botterill
Agreed. For me best scenario is Futa, worst is Benning.

Old
01-02-2014, 09:07 AM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Hope it's Futa! He not only has learned under Dean Lonbardi and winning the Stanley cup and finding players like Doughty, Kopitar, Simmonds, Johnson etc.
Damn---where did he dig Doughty from??? Oh yeah at 2nd overall. Kopitar??....around 11th overall. It doesnt take rocket scientist to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjci View Post
After how Poile picked team USA and his process for it, I am scared ****less over Fenton. If he's learned everything from Poile, I want him as far away from this franchise as possible.
I read Burnsides's piece. It wasnt just Poile sitting alone in a dark room picking the team. It was a group of about 9 people who all were involved.

Old
01-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Husko

Can someone who has been paying better attention than me give those of us who haven't been a quick summation of the pros and cons of various likely candidates?

Old
01-02-2014, 10:21 AM
LaFontaineToMogilny

vCash: 1232
Please Uncle Moneypants, hire them all and screw Calgary over.

All kidding aside, I know next to nothing about any of them, but the way the local Kings fans gush over Michael Futa makes him my guy!

Old
01-02-2014, 05:09 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFontaineToMogilny View Post
Please Uncle Moneypants, hire them all and screw Calgary over.

All kidding aside, I know next to nothing about any of them, but the way the local Kings fans gush over Michael Futa makes him my guy!
I know next to nothing about him. Him and Dudley are both highly praised and desired by their respective fanbases and that interests me. Not a good reason but then I'm not making the decision.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:00 AM
Ethan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
Given that the choice is down to a bunch of first time NHL GMs, I don't really have a guy that I'd love to see get the job, nor a guy I'd hate.
This is the key right here. To my knowledge, none of the guys in the running have a track record as a GM for an NHL club. They all seem to have done good things in their respective positions. So what it's going to come down to is what PatLaF hears in the interviews---their plans, visions, strategies, timelines, etc. Since we're not privy to that inside scoop, our choice has already been made--LaFontaine. If you believe in him, you have to trust he'll make the best choice based on what he's learned in this process. I trust he will.

Old
01-04-2014, 10:58 AM
nki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Damn---where did he dig Doughty from??? Oh yeah at 2nd overall. Kopitar??....around 11th overall. It doesnt take rocket scientist to do that.
Kopitar isn't Futa's pick.

Futa was named as co-director of scouting in 2007.

Notable draft picks, obviously the further you go down the list the more there is chance for some other prospect to make it:

Thomas Hickey - 4th overall * seems to be finally carving out a spot as a NHL defenseman with the Islanders but obviously a bust for the Kings
Wayne Simmonds - 2nd round
Alec Martinez - 4th round
Dwight King - 4th round

Drew Doughty - 2nd overall
Colten Teubert - 13th overall, bust
Slava Voynov - 2nd round
Andrei Loktionov - 5th round

Brayden Schenn - 5th overall
Kyle Clifford - 2nd round
Linden Vey - 4th round
Jordan Nolan - 7th round

Derek Forbort - 15 overall
Tyler Toffoli - 2nd round

After that it gets too hard to judge anything, even 2009 still has NHL hopefuls like Deslauriers for example.

Old
01-04-2014, 11:06 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
Wayne Simmonds - 2nd round

Slava Voynov - 2nd round

Kyle Clifford - 2nd round

Tyler Toffoli - 2nd round
Seems to really nail the 2nd rounders. That is an impressive 2nd round selection history.

Old
01-04-2014, 12:24 PM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
Seems to really nail the 2nd rounders. That is an impressive 2nd round selection history.
Well we have 5 in the next 2 years Get to work Mr. Futa

Old
01-04-2014, 12:27 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
His 2nd round picks look better than his 1sts, tbh. Nice job in the 2nd, but we can hardly afford to miss with our top picks.
ETA: As long as our scouting staff is kept more or less in tact, I can't see a huge issue with drafting from almost any of the viable candidates. We have a huge staff and a pretty darn good one. I think Regier's biggest short-coming was his inability to really be an architect of a team. We had some strong drafts and "won" trades, but the on-ice product was never complete. I think more than anything else, we need a guy with a strong vision.

Old
01-04-2014, 05:49 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
His 2nd round picks look better than his 1sts, tbh. Nice job in the 2nd, but we can hardly afford to miss with our top picks.
ETA: As long as our scouting staff is kept more or less in tact, I can't see a huge issue with drafting from almost any of the viable candidates. We have a huge staff and a pretty darn good one. I think Regier's biggest short-coming was his inability to really be an architect of a team. We had some strong drafts and "won" trades, but the on-ice product was never complete. I think more than anything else, we need a guy with a strong vision.
I agree.

However, perhaps Darcy's "vision" wasn't so much the problem. He was able to construct a strong cup contenders in 05-06 and 06-07. His hands being tied in the offseason of 07 hurt him big time. And really he was never able to recover from it.

My main issue with him was his balls or lackthereof . He lacked the ability to make bold moves to shake things up when clearly it was needed. He always decided to sit on his hands and wait things out. He never once wanted to jump the gun and react. He waited too long to move guys like Zhitnik and Satan and ended up getting zero for them. I just know there were good deals he left on the table because he opted to wait and see.

We need a guy who is bold enough to make moves. Not every trade needs to be a steal. Not every trade will be a win. But sitting on your hands and doing nothing hurts more than a bad trade IMO.

Old
01-04-2014, 05:55 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 50s

Hotstove: BOS' Jim Benning frontrunner for BUF GM.

Old
01-04-2014, 05:56 PM
CaptPantalones

Freidmann says its down to top 3, but only mentioned Benning as a candidate and Healy mentioned Fenton hasnt been contacted by the Sabres: "If hes the choice, he doesnt know it yet"

Old
01-04-2014, 06:10 PM

It is going to be Jim Benning, I think that bodes well for Ted Nolan.

Boston seems like a good organization to puck a GM from right now, Benning seemed to be a legit candidate too.

Last edited by 1972: 01-04-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old
01-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

a team that has to rely mainly on drafting should hire a former bad to horrible director of amateur scouting. why hire somebody who hasn't been here before?

would be a pretty big meh move.

Old
01-04-2014, 06:55 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
a team that has to rely mainly on drafting should hire a former bad to horrible director of amateur scouting. why hire somebody who hasn't been here before?

You're not hiring him to be a scout so I really don't see why his body of work as a director of amateur scouting (which wasn't horrible) matters all that much.

Old
01-04-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:

Welp, good thing he isn't going to be director of scouting then.

Old
01-04-2014, 07:00 PM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
You're not hiring him to be a scout so I really don't see why his body of work as a director of amateur scouting (which wasn't horrible) matters all that much.
General Managers have very little say in drafting. Do people really think they have time in their schedules to have knowledge on a majority of prospects? They will know about the top few prospects in a draft and what their scouts tell them about other guys.

Besides Benning drafted in one of the worst eras for prospects.

Old
01-04-2014, 07:05 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:

thats why you pray he keeps Kevin Devine on

Old
01-04-2014, 07:06 PM
gallagt01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
General Managers have very little say in drafting. Do people really think they have time in their schedules to have knowledge on a majority of prospects? They will know about the top few prospects in a draft and what their scouts tell them about other guys.

Besides Benning drafted in one of the worst eras for prospects.
Exactly.

Old
01-04-2014, 08:26 PM
sjci

vCash: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagt01 View Post
Benning was a key guy in trading Seguin...that's worked out great

Old
01-04-2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Well, Boston did get a 22 year old player on pace for 30 goals and 62 points, a prime aged winger who is a 70 point player and a good defensive prospect in return for someone who they felt didn't fit into what they were doing. Seguin is a center and they have two great centers already.

It wasn't a great trade but they had their reasons for doing it, we don't know if Benning was the guy wanting the trade all we saw was a edited clip about 15 seconds long.

Old
01-04-2014, 08:44 PM
BananaSquad

Quote:
Well considering they already had Krejci and Bergeron as top 6 centres that trade was won by both teams. Reilly Smith is on pace for 30 goals and the bruins couldnt predict that Loui Eriksson would get concussed twice.

Old
01-04-2014, 08:49 PM
ttcminaker

Quote:
You can't be serious. The assistant GM doesn't make the call on trading any player, that falls to the GM. No one knows what the problems were but the Bruins were pretty set on the fact that he had to go.

Closed Thread