HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sportsnet News: Zubov re-signs with DAL

Closed Thread

Old
07-31-2005, 10:32 PM
Kritter471

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icey
The back up goalie is more of a wish item. If none are available for near league minimum then can use one of the two decent kids they have in the system.

Don Sweeney signed the last two years for $500,000, no reason to think he wouldn't do that again. Same for Rob DiMaio. They will need to pay a little more for one of the d-men, but the rest can be had for league minimum. We are talking about 4th liners here, not the first line.

I also think the number of players we need is off. I don't think we need 4 - 4th line wingers, I think the Stars need 2 wingers, and that makes a big difference. Last I heard they had 20 players under contract for $28M.
That's before Zubov and including kids like Belle, Lessard, Smith, Ellis and Jancevski who I think are earmarked for Iowa.

We need (to fill the 23-man NHL roster) five more forwards (including three guys to exist soley in a back up role), one goalie and two more d-men (one to serve as a backup). I figured that would split at at least one center and three wings, with an odd guy out who could be a center/wing combination.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:43 PM
Icey

They actually do not have to have a 23 man roster, rather they can have up to a 23 man roster. If they choose they can have a 21 or 22 man roster and go with that. It would leave no one to ride the pine, which IMO is not necessarily a bad thing. They could then afford to call the kids up when an injury happens.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:44 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
But they don't need talanted FAs.

Goalies - Turco (need cheap backup)
Defense - Zubov, Boucher, Klemm, Daley, Erskine. They need two third pair d-men. The guy they had in that role last year made $550,000 which, with the rollback, is less than league minimum is now. So two guys in that vein would be fine.
Centers - Arnott, Barnes, Kapanen. A typical 1-2-3 punch. Need a fourth liner and a backup C. Would love to have Modano, but as Icey said, their on-ice concern rightly should have been Zubov.
Wings - Guerin, Lehtinen, Morrow, Miettinen, Ott, Svoboda. Needs - third/fourth line wingers. The wings in those roles in 03/04 (namely Rob DiMaio) made $550,000 which, as mentioned above, is now essentially the league minimum.

They don't need a lot of money to sign high-priced FAs because they don't have a lot of holes to fill. Because of that, I fail to see why 5-7 guys at league minimum is out of the question.
Here goes my attempt at what i feel would be great for Dallas:
Huselius*(1.8) -Modano(4.5)-Lehtinen(3.5)
Morrow(1.9)-Nieuwendyk**(2)-Guerin (6.7)
Miettinen(.7)-Kapanen(.5)-Barnes(1.2)
Svoboda(.5)-Ott(.6)-

Daley(.6)-Zubov(4)
Robidas(.8)-Boucher(1.8)
Erskine(.7)-Klemm(1.1)

Turco(3.1)
Ellis (.6)

total 36.6

* Dallas Trades C Jason Arnott to Florida for LW Kristian Huselius (1.8 Estimate)
** Dallas Signs C Joe Nieuwendyk 1 year 2 million with team option for second year

Couldnt really think of anyone for that last spot. Perhaps Dimaio. Anyway if they upped their cap to around 37 for the year, this is very doable. Also, I think this would be a pretty damn good team.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:47 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
No options in the new CBA, so the Niewendyk thing doesn't work. Ott has been moved to LW by the Stars (see todays release about QOs). And you still need backup forwards and D (23-man roster and even if not, you at least want one back-up D incase you want to play 7 one game).

Keep me away from Nieuwendyk and his wonky back.

But I'd trade Arnott for Huselius.

Old
07-31-2005, 10:56 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471
No options in the new CBA, so the Niewendyk thing doesn't work. Ott has been moved to LW by the Stars (see todays release about QOs). And you still need backup forwards and D (23-man roster and even if not, you at least want one back-up D incase you want to play 7 one game).

Keep me away from Nieuwendyk and his wonky back.

But I'd trade Arnott for Huselius.
Ott has routinely been listed as both so i wouldnt put too much stock into that. If he is LW that can still work. Perhaps Hagos can play 4th line center. The rest of the players we need to add to fill out the roster would be league minimum guys. If you went without Nieuwy and signed a RW instead, you could move Kapanen up a line and put barnes in the third line center spot. The key is to reduce the money spend on arnott and i really think the trade could work. Keenan apparently loves arnott and hates huselius and we could use a skilled left winger. Anyway, it can work

Old
07-31-2005, 11:12 PM
ScottyBowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTOM
Overpayment, Ozonlish is 2.75 and Zubov is 4?

and at 3 years with a no-trader at that! *whistles*
Whether he was overpaid or underpaid is irrelevant. The only thing that is relevant is that it sets the bar for defensemen. Niedermayer is younger and better so according to the bar that has been set, he should get $6 mil a year. These salaries aren't too far off the previous CBA.

Old
08-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Bruinaholic

Send a message via AIM to Bruinaholic
[QUOTE=txomisc]Here goes my attempt at what i feel would be great for Dallas:
Svoboda(.5)-Ott(.6)-

Daley(.6)-Zubov(4)
Robidas(.8)-Boucher(1.8)
Erskine(.7)-Klemm(1.1)

Turco(3.1)
Ellis (.6)

total 36.6

QUOTE]

Modano at 4.5$?????
Id think he can be had at half that.

Old
08-01-2005, 12:56 AM
ColoradoHockeyFan

So let's cut to the really important question. What does this mean for Foote's price tag?

Old
08-01-2005, 01:48 AM
txomisc

[QUOTE=Bruinaholic]
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc
Here goes my attempt at what i feel would be great for Dallas:
Svoboda(.5)-Ott(.6)-

Daley(.6)-Zubov(4)
Robidas(.8)-Boucher(1.8)
Erskine(.7)-Klemm(1.1)

Turco(3.1)
Ellis (.6)

total 36.6

QUOTE]

Modano at 4.5$?????
Id think he can be had at half that.
Where on earth do you get the idea that Mike Modano can be had for half of 4.5?

Old
08-01-2005, 05:55 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine4LIFE
So the BAR Has been set folks. A #2-3 PP Defenseman is worth 4 million bucks in the New NHL.
Who's this #2/#3 defenseman you're speaking off? As Sergei Zubov is as numero uno as it gets..

Old
08-01-2005, 06:07 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
What a miserry..4M$ a year for Zubov, under this new CBA....hmmm...not good to see! I just hope the others GMs won't follow this way.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:22 AM
canuck1957

from Spectors page....
NEWSDAY: Alan Hahn reports defenceman Adrian Aucoin rejected the four year, $13 million offer from the NY Islanders and is prepared to entertain offers from other clubs, although Isles GM Mike Milbury said he hopes to retain him. The Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers and Atlanta Thrashers are said to be interested in Aucoin. Regardless of Aucoin's status, the Isles are interested in adding another defenceman. Hahn cites Brian Rafalski or possibly Bryan Berard as possibilities, as well as Adam Foote or Mike Rathje. Milbury said he hopes to fill spots up front by re-signing Robert Nilsson and Petteri Nokelainen.

whether it was Doug Armstrong's haste to sign Zubov to an inflated salary, it seems that the salary levels are approaching pre-CBA.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:26 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
What a miserry..4M$ a year for Zubov, under this new CBA....hmmm...not good to see! I just hope the others GMs won't follow this way.
i think it's great let all the GM price themselves out for future signings

If you consider Zubov a top 2 defenseman 4 million isn't to that much to be honest though.

Last edited by boredmale: 08-01-2005 at 06:32 AM.
Old
08-01-2005, 08:06 AM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

If I were a Stars fan I could live with this signing. Zubov will be a huge asset with the rule changes coming into place. 4 Million against a 39 mill cap for your best defenseman isn't the end of the world, if that's what he signed for. It also shows good faith to zubov and allows him to retire a Star without having to become a free agent. The "No Trade Clause," would worry me a little though.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:26 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyman
No it isn't. Stupid signing for the Stars. There is a salary cap. Add Doug Armstrong to the list of GM's that may not be able to handle it.

Closed Thread