HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Magnus Paarjarvi

Old
02-08-2014, 11:39 AM
pricer502

vCash: 250
I would like to see MPS do something other than shoot backhand shots. It seems like he is either attempting a wrap around or shooting off the backhand. It's hard to evaluate his shot when we never see it. He does play hard and doesn't give up on pucks. Just for that alone I'll take him over Stewart.

pricer502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 05:03 PM
ejoshie

vCash: 500
To be fair to him as a young player.

He is going to have to figure out how to play bigger and try and make some kind of impact in a game.

Or he will not survive long term in the NHL.

Honestly in today's game with Winnipeg, for a casual fan you would not know he played.

Fair comment ?

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejoshie View Post
To be fair to him as a young player.

He is going to have to figure out how to play bigger and try and make some kind of impact in a game.

Or he will not survive long term in the NHL.

Honestly in today's game with Winnipeg, for a casual fan you would not know he played.

Fair comment ?
To be fair there were a whole number of players that you would not be able to recall them playing. For example: Steen (surprisingly enough) was one of them.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:34 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
For how far he has come as a player this season, I am satisfied. Next season was always going to be the season that he was actually going to make an impact. This season was about relearning how to play in the NHL, next season is about becoming a real contributor.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-08-2014, 07:45 PM
AVictoryDive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
For how far he has come as a player this season, I am satisfied. Next season was always going to be the season that he was actually going to make an impact. This season was about relearning how to play in the NHL, next season is about becoming a real contributor.
I agree with this assessment. I look at MPS the same way I viewed Steen when he was traded here. Though we made out like bandits in the Stempniak for Steen/Colaiacovo trade, and the value of the 2nd pick in 2014 (basically a late 1st) we also got is still up in air, I feel it will come close. MPS has a very high motor and nose for attacking the puck, and I think with more seasoning in this system his offensive game will start rounding out and he will start finishing some of those chances. While I don't see him as Steen 2.0 I believe he might have a similar impact.

AVictoryDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 05:52 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

I don't see the Steen 2.0 comparison.

If he reaches half of Steen's abilities I will be shocked.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2014, 06:02 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

The main comparison with Steen that could be made was that it took Steen awhile to adjust to playing here. He didn't have to basically relearn hockey, but he wasn't all that impressive when he came here. He was solid and you could see that he could do more, but he wasn't that productive.

Paajarvi has the size and speed to be really dangerous, but his style only slightly resembles Steen's.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 07:42 AM
SteenMachine

I think Paajarvi really needs to define what kind of player he is in the offensive zone. That speed is only as dangerous as what he chooses to do with it.

However if he can make a great first pass or learns to finish his wrist shot instead of pulling behind the net he has a lot more threats to choose from and force the opposing D and goalie to pick one to prevent.

I think that's the evolution as a player he has to make at this point because he's clearly not going to become a shutdown, hitting everyone who gets too close, shot blocking bottom 6 guy. Is he a playmaker or a goal scorer, and who will he compliment well with that role and top end speed?

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:00 AM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

How's the kid been?

Gobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:29 AM
Kasparov

Hey, ya know, for a guy making 1.2m a year, he's doing an ok job. However, a guy we traded for Perron, I wish we could get more out if him. It's really all a matter of perspective.

Kasparov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:14 AM
Dbrownss

He's at the bottom of the list and can't cracked the top 9-6 without an injury, not saying that's a bad thing, that's just how of good the guys are in front of him. But from the beginning of the year to know, I've seen a solid progression from him.

Dbrownss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:36 AM
fallingquarters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasparov View Post
Hey, ya know, for a guy making 1.2m a year, he's doing an ok job. However, a guy we traded for Perron, I wish we could get more out if him. It's really all a matter of perspective.
Perron was a salary dump. So it is a little unfair to compare them directly. I would take Alex Pietrangelo for 7 years over two David Perrons any day of the week.

fallingquarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:50 AM
nihlify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
I don't see the Steen 2.0 comparison.

If he reaches half of Steen's abilities I will be shocked.
Give him 5 years or so.

nihlify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:54 AM
ejoshie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingquarters View Post
Perron was a salary dump. So it is a little unfair to compare them directly. I would take Alex Pietrangelo for 7 years over two David Perrons any day of the week.
So now it was either Pieterangelo or Perron

Goal posts keep moving on this one.

How about Stewart or Perron, but I guess that one is harder to swallow ?
Or Roy or Perron ? All 3 make 4 million. Makes more of an logical comparison.

But hey - what ever it takes to ease your mind.

ejoshie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Oberyn
Prince of Dorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingquarters View Post
Considering we signed Roy for almost the exact same AAV I don't really see Perron as a salary dump.

Oberyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:52 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
I honestly think Paajarvi can be a big contributor next year. Maybe a 15-25 season.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:01 PM
AVictoryDive

Perron is gone. I think as a team the Blues are a million times better without him. Look at the standings and how the offense has seen a jump.

AVictoryDive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:15 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

The team is better, they don't need a top six winger, they have reconstructed what they want on the third line for the playoffs, and less stupid penalties from someone that didn't play within the system as well as they would have liked.

But because the return was less salary from a bottom six player that's still developing, well some just can't see the big picture.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:17 PM
bluesman11
Robert Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red Viper View Post
Considering we signed Roy for almost the exact same AAV I don't really see Perron as a salary dump.
Same salary for one year, and less ego.

bluesman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:48 PM
Deko

To be exact, it's Pääjärvi, not Paarjarvi.

I'm positive he will turn out to be a solid third line player that fits the system extremely well. He just needs some time.

Deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihlify View Post
Give him 5 years or so.
Steen is a legit 1st liner. My hopes are that MPS becomes a good 3rd liner/2nd line tweener. Pretty big difference there.

Steen was always a smart player who worked hard. He just struggled with his natural skills but was able to develop them. MPS is almost exactly the opposite. He has many of the natural skills (shot excluded) but is not a smart player. He is able to compensate partially with his speed but I don't think his speed can make up the difference between Steen's abilit to think the game and MPS's.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 02:36 PM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Now that I don't live in STL, haven't got the chance to watch as many Blues games as in the past.

How's this guy been for you? He's obviously a work in progress, but is the potential still there?

BrainOfJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 03:14 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Now that I don't live in STL, haven't got the chance to watch as many Blues games as in the past.

How's this guy been for you? He's obviously a work in progress, but is the potential still there?
The bad:
He has next to no hockey sense
Can't cycle
Board work isn't very good
His shot is bleh

The good:
Has good top end speed
Good compete level
Good athlete

If he works on his first few strides and can work on his shot and puck handling he'll be a 3rd/2nd line tweener. Probably capable of a contestant 15-15 with no special teams. If he can learn to kill penalties then his stock rises even more.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzk View Post
The bad:
He has next to no hockey sense
Can't cycle
Board work isn't very good
His shot is bleh

The good:
Has good top end speed
Good compete level
Good athlete

If he works on his first few strides and can work on his shot and puck handling he'll be a 3rd/2nd line tweener. Probably capable of a contestant 15-15 with no special teams. If he can learn to kill penalties then his stock rises even more.
No idea of where you got that from. Considering this is his 3rd coach in as many years and that he had to learn a system and a new way to play with little real playing time (keep in mind it took Roy about a month + and Morrow time to learn the new system)...

He has been pretty good. He will always be the guy who Perron was traded for.... so some will never really come around, but...

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1 View Post
No idea of where you got that from. Considering this is his 3rd coach in as many years and that he had to learn a system and a new way to play with little real playing time (keep in mind it took Roy about a month + and Morrow time to learn the new system)...

He has been pretty good. He will always be the guy who Perron was traded for.... so some will never really come around, but...
Learning a system is very different from being able to read plays. I guess you can add another plus he's coachable.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote