HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

If Cam Neely is in the Hall, then why Tim Kerr isn't?

Old
12-25-2013, 02:39 PM
Passchendaele

vCash: 500
If Cam Neely is in the Hall, then why Tim Kerr isn't?

The similarities between those two guys are interesting.

- Both were big guys who could fight (and they were good at it)
- Both elite goal scorers
- Both pretty good playoff performers
- Both had their careers cut short by injuries

From 1983 to 1987, Kerr scored 224 goals (54-54-58-58). Two years later, he scored 48 goals in 69 games (on pace for 56 goals).

He (1.03) even has a better career PPG than Neely (0.96).

Did Neely's freak 50 goals in 44 games season make the difference?

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 03:32 PM
Dennis Bonvie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
The similarities between those two guys are interesting.

- Both were big guys who could fight (and they were good at it)
- Both elite goal scorers
- Both pretty good playoff performers
- Both had their careers cut short by injuries

From 1983 to 1987, Kerr scored 224 goals (54-54-58-58). Two years later, he scored 48 goals in 69 games (on pace for 56 goals).

He (1.03) even has a better career PPG than Neely (0.96).

Did Neely's freak 50 goals in 44 games season make the difference?
Don't recall ever seeing Kerr in a fight. Nor body check the way Neely did.

Dennis Bonvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 03:43 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

Having seen them both, I'd say Neely did everything as good or better than Kerr.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 03:55 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Don't recall ever seeing Kerr in a fight. Nor body check the way Neely did.
Appears to have been in about 22 fights over his career, 7 of which came during his sophmore season compared to Neely's app 80. As for Kerr's checking game, no, definitely not on par with Cam Neely. Four time 50 or more goal scorer though, so not shabby.

Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 04:25 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Neely was a gamebreaking power forward who redefined the position, Tim Kerr just stood in front of the net on the powerplay.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 06:04 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver Blazers View Post
Neely was a gamebreaking power forward who redefined the position, Tim Kerr just stood in front of the net on the powerplay.
Yup, exactly.

It isn't the Hall of Statistics. They might look a bit similar on paper to someone who isn't familiar with the sport, but Neely was 'great' and 'important' and Kerr was not.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 07:51 PM
Sens Rule

Kerr is like Andreychuk. If Andreychuk had Kerr's peak, and his his own longevity then he would make the HHOF. But Andreychuk doesn't have the peak and Kerr doesn't have the longevity.

Kerr is more similar to Leclair. But Leclair has those 5 end of season All-Stars.

Neely is not a similiar player.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Back in high school, two of my friends were desperate to get laid for the first time. Both ended up doing the deed with girls that weren't exactly marriage material, and both regretted that.

Friend A decided that since it was already done, there was no sense in actually holding anything back; he went through a series of rather unsavory partners. Friend B decided that it was too meaningful to squander again, so he decided to wait for someone that he really cared about.

I'm not going to judge anyone's lifestyle choices; I'm only drawing a parallel between that and the HOF (which is obviously a lofty honor). Friend A would say that since Neely is in, so should Tim Kerr. But why stop there? Kerr had some dominant seasons, but not a sustained high level of play. But John Ogrodnick did. So did Steve Larmer, and Pat Verbeek, and Dave Taylor, and Brian Propp...where would it end?

Friend B would say that, although Neely's induction is done and cannot be undone, that it should not be used as a basis of comparison for future inductions of his contemporaries. Based on actual on-ice achievements, Neely is near the bottom of HHOF inductees; the gaps are filled in based on the fact that he suffered career-altering injuries. He was never a first-team All-Star, he won no awards except the Masterton, he was never in the top 10 in assists or points, he never led the league in goals (and was in the top five only twice), he didn't kill penalties during his career. His entire case is built on a short resume and a lot of filled-in gaps.

If you compare Neely to two other roughly contemporary players who were disrupted mid-career by serious injuries, then whose retirement was forced by injuries (Pat Lafontaine and Pavel Bure), I think it's reasonable to say that Neely is a pretty distant 3rd to those two. And Bure actually played even fewer games than Neely, yet produced more in a much lower-scoring era.

Quote:
Are power play goals worth less than even strength? Are there bonuses for whether it came from a gamebreaking power forward instead of someone else?

Or I can point out that Kerr had a split of 220/150/0 in his goals, and Neely had 252/142/1. 36% of Neely's goals came on the power play, compared to 40.5% for Kerr. That's not exactly a huge difference.

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 12-25-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 09:56 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
Kerr is like Andreychuk. If Andreychuk had Kerr's peak, and his his own longevity then he would make the HHOF. But Andreychuk doesn't have the peak and Kerr doesn't have the longevity.

Kerr is more similar to Leclair. But Leclair has those 5 end of season All-Stars.

I wanted to post that Kerr was his generation's Andreychuk but you beat to it.

A forward should be able to skate to get in HOF.

A d-man gets a little more leeway, but not much.

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2013, 10:25 PM
Passchendaele

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post

I wanted to post that Kerr was his generation's Andreychuk but you beat to it.
Andreychuk and Kerr were born only three years apart: they played in the same era. Except, all throughout the 80s, Andreychuk peaked at 40 goals. He hit 50 only when paired with a scary dominant (179 assists in two seasons!) Doug Gilmour.

Also, as far as I know, Phil Esposito wasn't much of a skater either, and scored a lot of those "garbage goals".

Passchendaele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:28 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Who did Kerr have to set him up? Neely was a very good player, and there's a few worse players than him in the Hall, but the fact he had Bourque and Oates to back him up in the early 90s makes me hesitant when people throw him in the same category as Bure or Lindros. I don't think he was that good. He wasn't Lindros physical. And would he have scored almost 60 goals in consecutive seasons on the Panthers in the DPE? I don't know about that.

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 08:15 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Yeah, I think Neely and Kerr where very different. Neely was more of power forward while Kerr was a good goal scorer.

12-26-2013, 09:18 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Back in high school, two of my friends were desperate to get laid for the first time. Both ended up doing the deed with girls that weren't exactly marriage material, and both regretted that.

Friend A decided that since it was already done, there was no sense in actually holding anything back; he went through a series of rather unsavory partners. Friend B decided that it was too meaningful to squander again, so he decided to wait for someone that he really cared about.

I'm not going to judge anyone's lifestyle choices; I'm only drawing a parallel between that and the HOF (which is obviously a lofty honor). Friend A would say that since Neely is in, so should Tim Kerr. But why stop there? Kerr had some dominant seasons, but not a sustained high level of play. But John Ogrodnick did. So did Steve Larmer, and Pat Verbeek, and Dave Taylor, and Brian Propp...where would it end?

Friend B would say that, although Neely's induction is done and cannot be undone, that it should not be used as a basis of comparison for future inductions of his contemporaries. Based on actual on-ice achievements, Neely is near the bottom of HHOF inductees; the gaps are filled in based on the fact that he suffered career-altering injuries. He was never a first-team All-Star, he won no awards except the Masterton, he was never in the top 10 in assists or points, he never led the league in goals (and was in the top five only twice), he didn't kill penalties during his career. His entire case is built on a short resume and a lot of filled-in gaps.

If you compare Neely to two other roughly contemporary players who were disrupted mid-career by serious injuries, then whose retirement was forced by injuries (Pat Lafontaine and Pavel Bure), I think it's reasonable to say that Neely is a pretty distant 3rd to those two. And Bure actually played even fewer games than Neely, yet produced more in a much lower-scoring era.

Are power play goals worth less than even strength? Are there bonuses for whether it came from a gamebreaking power forward instead of someone else?

Or I can point out that Kerr had a split of 220/150/0 in his goals, and Neely had 252/142/1. 36% of Neely's goals came on the power play, compared to 40.5% for Kerr. That's not exactly a huge difference.
Interesting perspective, to say the least...lol

That being said the difference between the 2 guys isn't as great as the Neely supporters will make it out to be.

Neely was better but his induction to the HHOF was a mistake, much like Clark Gillies and others before that open up the well "if Neely is in why not player A", in this case Tim Kerr.

And really how gamebreaking can any player be with hockey being a cntury old and even those that were gamebreaking back in the day, does it or should it really matter?

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Problem isnt that Kerr isnt in, its that Neely, Gillies and so on are but Makarov isnt.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:15 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:

You're missing the point. Neely was a dominant force, Kerr was a hard to move body in front of the net. Like Eric Lindros vs. Dave Andreychuk.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:19 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Neely was the "prototypical power forward" and while I think that skill set is sometimes overrated, it's definitely an aspect to the game that Kerr didn't bring. Neely was a beast in corners, while Kerr just wasn't very valuable outside the front of the net.

And while Neely was no speed demon or defensive whiz himself, Kerr was noteworthy as a very poor skater and defensive player.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 12-26-2013 at 05:26 PM.
TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 05:25 PM
Jules Winnfield
I gives no ****s!!!

Tim Kerr was the ultimate power play forward in front of the net. You could not move him. When he had the puck 5-15 feet around the net he was going to score. I watched him burn the Pens many a nights. He was really a combination of Andreychuk and Holmstrom.

I'm torn on whether he should be considered a HOFer. At the time he was a beast but it kinda reminds me of Adam Dunn hitting home runs in baseball. He was really good at one thing and not so much at everything else.

That said, I sure as hell would want him on my team and he'd be on the 1st PP unit.

Jules Winnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
You're missing the point. Neely was a dominant force, Kerr was a hard to move body in front of the net. Like Eric Lindros vs. Dave Andreychuk.
No, I understand the point; I just wonder how important it really is.

I remember in high school, we played a team that had a tremendous running back (five-star national recruit) who averaged huge numbers. We won that game, and I thought that we had shut him down completely. Checked the paper the next morning, and he'd actually put up something like 190 yards and 2 touchdowns. The touchdowns weren't spectacular, and most of his yards were on carries of under 10 yards instead of the long breakaways that he'd had all year. It didn't seem like he'd done much, when in fact he'd produced quite a bit.

I'm not disputing that Neely was a more rounded player than Kerr, although the extent to which he possessed an overall game was overrated. I'm not disputing that Neely was more feared physically; that's not really relevant. I am disputing the fact that Neely's actual career as it was, not as it could have been, is HOF worthy.

Old
12-26-2013, 09:11 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
I'm torn on whether he should be considered a HOFer. At the time he was a beast but it kinda reminds me of Adam Dunn hitting home runs in baseball. He was really good at one thing and not so much at everything else.
Ah, one of my favorite topics...Adam Dunn.

Among guys who hit home runs and struck out a ton, Dunn was actually pretty well-rounded in his prime. He wouldn't hit into double plays (unlike Dave Kingman), which saved a lot of outs. He would also walk a ton, which added quite a bit of production.

Of course, he was a butcher in the field and added no additional threat as far as baserunning was concerned, but he was a nice option to have.

Old
12-26-2013, 10:33 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Ah, one of my favorite topics...Adam Dunn.

Among guys who hit home runs and struck out a ton, Dunn was actually pretty well-rounded in his prime. He wouldn't hit into double plays (unlike Dave Kingman), which saved a lot of outs. He would also walk a ton, which added quite a bit of production.

Of course, he was a butcher in the field and added no additional threat as far as baserunning was concerned, but he was a nice option to have.
Dunn, king of the 3 outcomes, and you are right guys not doubling into plays is something bill James points out very useful and under rated.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Neely doesn't belong in the HOF. It's that simple. He's exhibit A of what's wrong with the Hall. No transparency, old boys network, arbitrary inductions... neither has a HOF resume. And his inclusion is a big reason why the Hockey HOF is a joke.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post

Exactly who I think. Leclair is similar - career wise and playing style - to Kerr. Both were big, neither were pushovers but both focused on goal scoring over fighting or physical play. Neither Leclair or Kerr have the longevity to get into the HHOF. In fact, Neely doesn't either which makes him a polarizing pick at times. However, Neely does have the physical dimension to him and I think gets a little more credit in the mold of "what could have been"

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Exactly who I think. Leclair is similar - career wise and playing style - to Kerr. Both were big, neither were pushovers but both focused on goal scoring over fighting or physical play. Neither Leclair or Kerr have the longevity to get into the HHOF. In fact, Neely doesn't either which makes him a polarizing pick at times. However, Neely does have the physical dimension to him and I think gets a little more credit in the mold of "what could have been"
Different players for sure. Neely was a better all-around player but Kerr's offensive production is actually slightly better.

Kerr was one dimensional but his work in the crease is an under-appreciated skill. Not only does the goalie have to worry about Kerr himself but he's screened by him and it gives his teammates like Propp and Howe room to manoeuver. It doesn't always show up in the points column but that kind of work is huge for any team. Kerr in my estimation is the most underrated player of the 80s. He's a 'coulda been' story if there ever was one and I think if (there's that word again) he was healthy in '87 the Flyers win the cup.

So Neely is better but not so much so that he should make the Hall in his 2nd or 3rd year of eligibility and Kerr doesn't sniff it. While they are different types of players - they are similar caliber players (both with HOF talent) but neither has a HOF resume. The difference is that one is in and the other isn't.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:45 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Let's be clear: a big reason Neely is in the HOF is that he's a player a lot of people involved with hockey liked who got hurt in altercations with a player a lot of those same people didn't like.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
Let's be clear: a big reason Neely is in the HOF is that he's a player a lot of people involved with hockey liked who got hurt in altercations with a player a lot of those same people didn't like.
I think so too. Definitely one of the weaker inductions.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote