HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

If Cam Neely is in the Hall, then why Tim Kerr isn't?

Old
12-28-2013, 01:58 PM
vadim sharifijanov
TRUMP-BENNING 2016

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

Playoff series are won and lost in the crease. Its why Chara and Pronger are so valuable in the postseason. Kerr may not have done much else but going to the dirty areas and causing havoc is how cups are won.
hard to win playoff series in the stands eating popcorn though, right?

also, i invite you to google brian propp's playoff record.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 03:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Actually, you might be behind on the issue if you think you know why I'm involved in this topic.
I just figured you wanted to say 'hi'.
Quote:
There are degrees of one-dimensionality. Hull was one-dimensional, yes, but Kerr took that to a whole other level.
No he didn't. You're going overboard.

He's a one dimensional player for sure but so was Hull and others... At the end of the day though when the dimension is scoring goals and screening goalies, its a valuable player to have in your lineup.

Esp in today's game with the non-obstruction calls he'd be amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
hard to win playoff series in the stands eating popcorn though, right?
I'm assuming you're talking about Kerr or Neely? Well... yeah. And that's the problem with both those guys. Just never healthy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vadim sharifijanov View Post
also, i invite you to google brian propp's playoff record.
I watched a lot of Propp... good player. Not sure why I'd need to watch old video of him to see this. Like I said, unfair of me to say perimeter player but he wasn't a power forward type guy (which is what I meant to say.) He belongs in the Hall of Very Good.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 03:46 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
No he didn't. You're going overboard.
No I'm not.

Quote:
He's a one dimensional player for sure but so was Hull and others... At the end of the day though when the dimension is scoring goals and screening goalies, its a valuable player to have in your lineup.
It absolutely matters how bad the player is at all the other things that win hockey games. Hull and Kerr are not even close in their one-dimensionality.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 04:20 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
No I'm not.

It absolutely matters how bad the player is at all the other things that win hockey games. Hull and Kerr are not even close in their one-dimensionality.
Yeah, they were. And I don't need a book to tell me this either.

Neither were particularly good skaters or played all that well defensively. Hull was a sniper who could score from anywhere and Kerr would usually score from the crease. But both were one dimensional players. They were paid to score goals and that's what they did. Neither played D all that well and that's fine. It's not what they were paid to do.

Old
12-28-2013, 05:32 PM
seventieslord

Are you kidding me, man? Hull was infinitely more dynamic a player than Kerr. You're willfully ignoring facts at this point.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Are you kidding me, man? Hull was infinitely more dynamic a player than Kerr. You're willfully ignoring facts at this point.
Maybe you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Both guys were there to score goals. That was their job. Neither were particularly strong defensively. They were one dimensional guys.

But Kerr wasn't as bad bad as what you've suggested. There's no way Mike Keenan would've allowed it. Nobody would mistake Kerr for Carbonneau but he wasn't a liability every time he touched the puck. Kerr took knocks because he didn't play as 'big' as he could've with his size. Guys wanted him to be Messier and play dirty but that wasn't his game. He had knocks against him but he wasn't just standing in front of the net ALL the time. Yes, that was his bread and butter but the guy had a good shot and while he didn't smash guys he was impossible to push around. So yes, one dimensional. But when your one dimension is work in the crease screening goalies and scoring goals then you can build a HOF resume. Phil Esposito can testify to this.