HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

2014 World Junior Thread

Old
12-29-2013, 02:45 PM
major major

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
You do realize that you're probably talking to one of the least biased people when talking about Jacket prospects on this board, right?

I see what you're saying; I just think he is what he was when we drafted him, a guy who's going to be a front of the net player and will get in on the forecheck when necessary. We aren't going to see him dominate games with his skill or be the guy that carries a line; he's going to be the guy that scores 20 powerplay goals in a season and gets 100 penalty minutes because of his tenacity down low. He won't be Milan Lucic on the forecheck, but he'll be effective enough, especially if we put him with a talented playmaking center and a big point shooter.
I defer to you, but I am surprised that Rychel is considered tenacious down low. I only noticed Rychel on a few shifts yesterday and he didn't get in on the board battles. Everytime I saw him he was 12-15 feet back waiting for the puck to come out.

major major is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:04 PM
CaptainCally

Wennberg looks so mature it's crazy. He's so good at shielding the puck, making solid plays in every zone and is a really good passer.

As a fan of Djurgården it makes me happy since he came up through our ranks out of the blue and just amazed everyone
Much like Zibanejad. Too bad he went to Frölunda but I can't blame him.

He's gonna be ****ing great for you guys. I so want him on the Rangers. You can have Nash back haha... .

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:26 PM
bizzz*

WJC preliminary round is like pre-season in the NHL. There's nothing to play for, 4 out of 5 teams are going to the play-offs. I remember people wanted to get rid of Foligno during the last NHL pre-season.
I'd just wait till quarterfinals to make any judgment.

bizzz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:31 PM
stevo61

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
I defer to you, but I am surprised that Rychel is considered tenacious down low. I only noticed Rychel on a few shifts yesterday and he didn't get in on the board battles. Everytime I saw him he was 12-15 feet back waiting for the puck to come out.
This is the point I am making too. It's the part that annoys me, he just stands with his arms at his side and watches. I know he's not a guy to take over a game but he can work harder in area's. Maybe it will come with age and better coaching but it's not there now

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
stevo61

Quote:
You do realize that you're probably talking to one of the least biased people when talking about Jacket prospects on this board, right?

I see what you're saying; I just think he is what he was when we drafted him, a guy who's going to be a front of the net player and will get in on the forecheck when necessary. We aren't going to see him dominate games with his skill or be the guy that carries a line; he's going to be the guy that scores 20 powerplay goals in a season and gets 100 penalty minutes because of his tenacity down low. He won't be Milan Lucic on the forecheck, but he'll be effective enough, especially if we put him with a talented playmaking center and a big point shooter.
I didn't say you were biased, I know prospects is your best area. I'm just saying that I'm not either and the post major major made is what I see and what annoys me. I know he's not a game changer, but he he needs to work harder

stevo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:10 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
It seems Jarmo meant they were gonna sign him this summer though. Confusion just sorted out now here in Sweden.

And yes, Wennberg is playing C between his two Frölunda teammates Andreas Johnson (TOR) and Sebastian Collberg (MTL)
Thank you

RDriesenUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:19 PM
RDriesenUD

Rychel has 17g, 28a, and 45pts in 30 games in the OHL. The last 2 years he has scored 81 goals. I would say he is doing something right .

Old
12-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
Rychel has 17g, 28a, and 45pts in 30 games in the OHL. The last 2 years he has scored 81 goals. I would say he is doing something right .
"NO ONE SCORED MORE GOALS IN THIS DRAFT YEAR THAN ALEXANDRE PICARD!"

- Doug MacLean in 2004, making a true statement

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 07:27 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
"NO ONE SCORED MORE GOALS IN THIS DRAFT YEAR THAN ALEXANDRE PICARD!"

- Doug MacLean in 2004, making a true statement
What's your point? That all good goal scorers in junior hockey are bad?

Old
12-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
What's your point? That all good goal scorers in junior hockey are bad?
No, just that offense in junior hockey doesn't necessarily translate to offensive success in the NHL.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
No, just that offense in junior hockey doesn't necessarily translate to offensive success in the NHL.
This is true in most cases ... but, to write off a player and use this as your argument against them, is a stretch - even for a Mayor Bee argument

What I like most about Rychel's game is that it will translate to the pros. He has an NHL frame, and the goals he scores aren't because he's quicker or more experienced than the younger junior players ... it's because he puts his butt in front of the net, is hard to move, and has a quick stick. Those type of goal scorers will always have an easier time adjusting to the pro game.

If Kerby Rychel can become a 30 goal scoring top-6 forward, then I'd consider that pick well used. Regardless of how well he forechecks or does the little things.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 10:51 AM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
This is true in most cases ... but, to write off a player and use this as your argument against them, is a stretch - even for a Mayor Bee argument

What I like most about Rychel's game is that it will translate to the pros. He has an NHL frame, and the goals he scores aren't because he's quicker or more experienced than the younger junior players ... it's because he puts his butt in front of the net, is hard to move, and has a quick stick. Those type of goal scorers will always have an easier time adjusting to the pro game.

If Kerby Rychel can become a 30 goal scoring top-6 forward, then I'd consider that pick well used. Regardless of how well he forechecks or does the little things.
Exactly.

So far, Anderson is looking really good. Rychel and Dano haven't been bad, but haven't done as much as Anderson.

Old
12-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Rychel looks terrible today.

12-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Dano has looked pretty good though...

Fro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

this tourney reminds me how much i wanted us to draft Mantha...WOW

Old
12-30-2013, 12:06 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Why? He hasn't really done much. Yeah, he has 4 goals, but IMO, he doesn't really look any different than Rychel.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i think he's been every where...he's played a solid game both ways IMO...maybe i just have higher views of him...

Old
12-30-2013, 12:35 PM
RDriesenUD

Quote:
i think he's been every where...he's played a solid game both ways IMO...maybe i just have higher views of him...
Fair enough. I just haven't seen him really do anything other than on the PP.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

CBJ Prospects ‏@CBJProspects 1m
RT @coreypronman: Rychel and the 4th line for CAN not playing right now. They’re rolling top half of the line up.”

Old
12-30-2013, 10:49 PM
Palinka

Quote:
well now...that was dumb by Plutenar...running over a linesman to get to Connor McDavid...

https://mtc.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/7DD...jeHW3JRQ6P52YC
Quote:
great news! also the Czech player didn't get a game for that? only 2minutes???? WOW
Quote:
Should be done for the tournament.
For that? Please.

Of course, I'm biased. I had the joy of seeing both Michal Travnicek and the 1999-00 Barrie Colts all in the span of a single season. Oh, the stories I could share about either one of them. Let's just say that no one sitting in the stands with a notebook ever roots against a kid, but those guys made it awfully tough not to.

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Palinka

Quote:

That's far from the majority opinion. In the room of the team I was working with this year, it was not only split on Rychel, but it was pretty heated as well. I'm the one who made the Picard comparison on this board back in April, and I stand by it. Now, I don't believe that they're necessarily comparable players. Rychel is smarter than Picard on the ice, but Picard was always doing something while Rychel has been known to completely disengage at times.

He's either going to end up playing the role of someone like Tomas Holmstrom or Mike Knuble, potting 30 goals and not doing much else. Or he'll be like Picard, unable to score in the NHL and unable to stay in the lineup because he brings so little else to the table. That said, he's young and can still learn, but he's shown almost nothing this entire tournament.

In my case, I recommended against Rychel in the room. There were too many question marks for me, even in the projected range that the team was drafting. When I say projected range, I'm also referring to the fact that they were looking at trading anywhere from around #5 all the way to #25, but no one wanted to move.

Old
12-30-2013, 10:56 PM
Palinka

Quote:
Speaking of back in April on this board....I think I compared Mantha to Rick Nash. His play so far in the Q, from what I've heard, has been on par with what the world has seen in this tournament. He's looked really good.

By the way, no one does seem to know what his issue was last year. I mentioned that we couldn't figure out if he was injured, out of shape, or simply pacing himself. No one knows now either, but he's sure silenced a lot of people who thought he'd be the Don Cherry caricature of QMJHL players.

Let's check my tally so far from April. I raved about Sean Monahan, who's been outstanding in the NHL. I was critical of Kerby Rychel, who's been underwhelming. I was more positive of Mantha, who's broken through. I suggested someone pick up Sergei Tolchinsky, and Carolina liked him so much as an undrafted free agent that they signed him to an ELC.

Of course, you all have the bonus of being healthy, while I'm trying not to need adult diapers to see WJC games while looking like death.

Old
12-31-2013, 12:04 AM
CBJBrassard16
Sergei BobTrollsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palinka View Post
Speaking of back in April on this board....I think I compared Mantha to Rick Nash. His play so far in the Q, from what I've heard, has been on par with what the world has seen in this tournament. He's looked really good.

By the way, no one does seem to know what his issue was last year. I mentioned that we couldn't figure out if he was injured, out of shape, or simply pacing himself. No one knows now either, but he's sure silenced a lot of people who thought he'd be the Don Cherry caricature of QMJHL players.

Let's check my tally so far from April. I raved about Sean Monahan, who's been outstanding in the NHL. I was critical of Kerby Rychel, who's been underwhelming. I was more positive of Mantha, who's broken through. I suggested someone pick up Sergei Tolchinsky, and Carolina liked him so much as an undrafted free agent that they signed him to an ELC.

Of course, you all have the bonus of being healthy, while I'm trying not to need adult diapers to see WJC games while looking like death.
In what? The world juniors? He's been perfectly fine for Guelph.

CBJBrassard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 12:13 AM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
For that? Please.
Yes. If an official attempts to break up an altercation and you harm the official, you are typically subjected to additional discipline. In this case, he clearly knew the linesman was there - he was skating towards him. Instead of stopping and doing what most hockey players do - leveling up with the opponent - he continued on his trajectory and pushed the linesman over.

Players and coaches get penalized all the time for "abuse of officials" for making comments. Pushing one over more than crosses that line.

I stand by my point.

Quote:
That's far from the majority opinion. In the room of the team I was working with this year, it was not only split on Rychel, but it was pretty heated as well. I'm the one who made the Picard comparison on this board back in April, and I stand by it. Now, I don't believe that they're necessarily comparable players. Rychel is smarter than Picard on the ice, but Picard was always doing something while Rychel has been known to completely disengage at times.

He's either going to end up playing the role of someone like Tomas Holmstrom or Mike Knuble, potting 30 goals and not doing much else. Or he'll be like Picard, unable to score in the NHL and unable to stay in the lineup because he brings so little else to the table. That said, he's young and can still learn, but he's shown almost nothing this entire tournament.

In my case, I recommended against Rychel in the room. There were too many question marks for me, even in the projected range that the team was drafting. When I say projected range, I'm also referring to the fact that they were looking at trading anywhere from around #5 all the way to #25, but no one wanted to move.
Your assessment of Rychel is similar to mine; though I certainly don't compare him to Alexander Picard. I made no secret that I wanted Hunter Shinkaruk at the spot that Rychel wound up going, but there's nothing wrong with the Rychel pick to me; he's a boom or bust type of pick, just like Shinkaruk. Different style of player, and clearly the style/identity that the Jackets were looking for. When you already have landed Alex Wennberg and still have another pick on the board, why not swing for the fences?

I thought Rychel wasn't great in the first game. Had a better second game - I still liked what I saw of him, particularly in the first period - and in the third game, he wasn't good again. People seem to overlook the fact that it works both ways in short tournaments like this, though. Justin Pogge had one of the best tournaments a goaltender has ever had at the WJCs, in 2006. People were going the opposite direction with him, comparing him to some of the greatest goaltenders of all-time. That didn't work out. There have also been plenty of players in the past that didn't have great tournaments, and have gone on to great NHL careers.

Kerby Rychel may or may not be one of the guys that goes on to a great career. We'll find out, eventually.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 08:17 AM
RDriesenUD

Russia's goalie just made a great save.