HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

6th D position locked up for 1 more year!

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Aki Berg

vCash: 500
6th D position locked up for 1 more year!

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=132124

Just as 29 other GM's around the NHL were preparing for Aki's possible addition to the UFA list, JFJ gives Aki want Aki wanted: Aki's qualifying offer.

Aki's gonna prove the doubters wrong this year, and throw the Leafs on Aki's back and take them to the promised land.

Aki now wants JFJ to sign Adam Foote and give Aki a worthy defense partner.

Last edited by Aki Berg: 08-01-2005 at 01:20 AM.
Old
08-01-2005, 01:17 AM
Volcanologist
Habitual User

I will wait for a REAL confirmation before condemning the Leafs for wasting their cap money on Berg, Belak and Kilger while not qualifying Ponikarovsky, a guy they drafted, who was turning into a pretty useful player.

Old
08-01-2005, 01:21 AM
Leafs_Fa_Life

Send a message via MSN to Leafs_Fa_Life
It's Aki time

Old
08-01-2005, 01:22 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepNCheese
I will wait for a REAL confirmation before condemning the Leafs for wasting their cap money on Berg, Belak and Kilger while not qualifying Ponikarovsky, a guy they drafted, who was turning into a pretty useful player.
Im not sure how the Poni. thing works though. Most of the guys (Antropov for example) were qualified based on what they would have made in 04-05 (i.e. at 100%).... Poni didnt sign a contract so I dont know what they'd use ...the 522,500 he made in 03-04?

Anyways, I highly doubt they let him walk for nothing...

Old
08-01-2005, 01:22 AM
Lucky Lager

yeah pony was just startin to come around, i'm pretty disgruntled about that, but who knows, they may sign him.. just less than his qualifying offer.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:08 AM
ThinMcWhistle

re:

Berg is just what the Leafs need, a cheap so-so player who can fill a roster spot.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:12 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
According to the Toronto Sun, the team made offers to forwards Chad Kilger, Nik Antropov and Nathan Perrott and defenceman Wade Belak, Aki Berg and Karel Pilar.
Perrot? Why qualify him? He doesn't bring anything to the table, unless of coarse they're thinking of cutting Tie. Even then he can't fight as well as Tie and can't produce even close to what Domi can produce.

I'm dissapointed that they qualified perrot but not poni. (If this story is indeed confirmed)

And about aki. Aki deserves to be qualified and I'm glad he got his. I look forward to a solid year by the berg.

Old
08-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIs
Perrot? Why qualify him? He doesn't bring anything to the table, unless of coarse they're thinking of cutting Tie. Even then he can't fight as well as Tie and can't produce even close to what Domi can produce.

I'm dissapointed that they qualified perrot but not poni. (If this story is indeed confirmed)

And about aki. Aki deserves to be qualified and I'm glad he got his. I look forward to a solid year by the berg.
Here is the TSN story

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...24&hubName=nhl

Poni in fact does not need to be qualified ..

One of the rules in this transition period is that players that where RFA and unsigned before the lockout happen remain property of their teams without a new qualifying offer ..

Old
08-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Berg

Just as 29 other GM's around the NHL were preparing for Aki's possible addition to the UFA list, JFJ gives Aki want Aki wanted: Aki's qualifying offer.

Aki's gonna prove the doubters wrong this year, and throw the Leafs on Aki's back and take them to the promised land.

Does Aki always talk about himself in the third person?

Old
08-01-2005, 02:54 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Here is the TSN story

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...24&hubName=nhl

Poni in fact does not need to be qualified ..

One of the rules in this transition period is that players that where RFA and unsigned before the lockout happen remain property of their teams without a new qualifying offer ..
so he isn't a UFA? if yes, I'm glad to hear that.

Also I've read that story on TSN (I infact quoted it in my post above) and it didn't have any thing on Poni. Just the others that were apparently "qualified".

Old
08-01-2005, 02:56 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Looks like Fergy is basically standing Pat .. So to speak ..

Sundin, Tucker, O'Neill, Stajan, McCabe, Kaberle, Klee, Befour, Telly

Are all under contract ... So that makes 9

Add the Qualifiers

Ant, Poni, Berg, Pilar, Belak, Kilger, Perrott ..Thats 7 ..

So we are up to 16 now ..

Fergy is talking to Roberts, Newy and Domi .. He even had talks with Mogilny ..
They all come back that is 20

Bringing up Carlo and signing and trying Steen and you have 22 of a 23 man roster ..

If you figure Wilm might be back then we are full ..

Fergy just needs to call a PC and announce the resigning of Gary, Joe ,and Tie

Maybe 1 or two max added at most .. all depends on our own UFA and if Fergy has any trades in mind ..

Old
08-01-2005, 02:57 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Does Aki always talk about himself in the third person?
Sounds like you've missed out on alot during your vacation. Best get used to it. It's the norm.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:00 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
so he isn't a UFA? if yes, I'm glad to hear that.

Also I've read that story on TSN (I infact quoted it in my post above) and it didn't have any thing on Poni. Just the others that were apparently "qualified".
I read about Poni here ..

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=77

or

http://www.hfboards.com/showpost.php...1&postcount=76

Old
08-01-2005, 03:07 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
So all those that were given QO last year are still in the books. sounds good.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
So all those that were given QO last year are still in the books. sounds good.
That is my understanding of it ..

This TSN article confirms that theory ..
Quote:
In addition to Thornton and Samsonov, the Bruins tendered qualifying offers to P. J. Axelsson, Brad Boyes, Nick Boynton, Kevin Dallman, Hal Gill, Jonathan Girard, Andy Hilbert, Ivan Huml, Colton Orr, Martin Samuelsson and Sergei Zinovjev.

"Andrew Raycroft and Zdenek Kutlak were already restricted free agents who were tendered offers after the 2003-04 season."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp...68&hubName=nhl

Old
08-01-2005, 03:20 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Looks like Fergy is basically standing Pat .. So to speak ..

Sundin, Tucker, O'Neill, Stajan, McCabe, Kaberle, Klee, Befour, Telly

Are all under contract ... So that makes 9

Add the Qualifiers

Ant, Poni, Berg, Pilar, Belak, Kilger, Perrott ..Thats 7 ..

So we are up to 16 now ..

Fergy is talking to Roberts, Newy and Domi .. He even had talks with Mogilny ..
They all come back that is 20

Bringing up Carlo and signing and trying Steen and you have 22 of a 23 man roster ..

If you figure Wilm might be back then we are full ..

Fergy just needs to call a PC and announce the resigning of Gary, Joe ,and Tie

Maybe 1 or two max added at most .. all depends on our own UFA and if Fergy has any trades in mind ..
Man, but what about perrot taking up a spot?

Kilger I understand, he was a great waiver draft pick up for us last year and he actually scored at least one meaningful goal in the playoffs. (I beleive it was game 7 against the Sens)

Belak, I'm sure you enjoyed:
Quote:
The versatile Belak played both ......
Wow versatile & Belak in the same sentence!!

Mogilny, as much as I like Alex and his contribution to the TML, I think he has the least "possible contribution" potential among the vets. I hope JFJ let's him walk.

That'd free up at least one roster spot.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:42 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Man, but what about perrot taking up a spot?

Kilger I understand, he was a great waiver draft pick up for us last year and he actually scored at least one meaningful goal in the playoffs. (I beleive it was game 7 against the Sens)

Belak, I'm sure you enjoyed:
Wow versatile & Belak in the same sentence!!

Mogilny, as much as I like Alex and his contribution to the TML, I think he has the least "possible contribution" potential among the vets. I hope JFJ let's him walk.

That'd free up at least one roster spot.
Check out this report LeeIS

Looks like things are changing ..

Quote:
Leafs set veteran trio free

Domi, Roberts and Nieuwendyk all available today
Popular enforcer `not impressed' with weekend offer

Over the weekend, Ferguson extended an offer to Domi, a pitch with which sources said Domi was, "not impressed." It was believed to be a one-year deal at about $850,000 (all figures U.S.), but Domi is reportedly seeking a two-year pact worth $2 million.

"We have a difference of opinion in both term and economics," said Domi's agent, Pat Morris. That's where Belak and Perrott come in. Even though neither is Domi's equal when it comes to the total package, if the Leafs had not qualified them, it would have given Domi leverage in contract negotiations.

Ferguson will now turn his attention to Domi, Roberts and Nieuwendyk, all three of whom will likely become unrestricted free agents this afternoon. That does not preclude any of them from signing with the Leafs, but it does allow all other 29 teams to speak to them. There are reports that the Florida Panthers, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, Carolina Hurricanes and Ottawa Senators are interested in Roberts and the Pittsburgh Penguins in Domi.

That has not appeared to faze Ferguson, who reportedly has placed a value on each of the players and is prepared to see any or all of them leave rather than pay them more than what he thinks they are worth. That amount is reportedly in the $1.5 million range for Roberts and Nieuwendyk and under $1 million for Domi.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...3064&t=TS_Home

Old
08-01-2005, 03:56 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Check out this report LeeIS

Looks like things are changing ..
the Qo's for Perrot and Belak absolutely make sense now. Even though, like the article said neither of them can be a domi. I'm glad JFJ is drawing the line and in this case the salary limits (as this article suggests). If it's true and they aren't complying with 1.5, 1.5, 8.5k, LET THEM WALK! Actions speak louder than words, they can preach that they wanna come here all they want. If Roberts or Niewuy are asking for more than 1.5 than WE DON'T need them! If Tie is asking for a multi year contract then we don't NEED HIM either.

At this stage, I hope JFJ is dealing with only 1 yr contracts, specially with the vets.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:03 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
the Qo's for Perrot and Belak absolutely make sense now. Even though, like the article said neither of them can be a domi. I'm glad JFJ is drawing the line and in this case the salary limits (as this article suggests). If it's true and they aren't complying with 1.5, 1.5, 8.5k, LET THEM WALK! Actions speak louder than words, they can preach that they wanna come here all they want. If Roberts or Niewuy are asking for more than 1.5 than WE DON'T need them! If Tie is asking for a multi year contract then we don't NEED HIM either.

At this stage, I hope JFJ is dealing with only 1 yr contracts, specially with the vets.
I have no problem with Fergy playing hardball .. Just not sure as you say why not do it also with the RFA ..

If Fergy is willing to pay Berg $1.1 mil as the 5th/6th dman then $1.5 for Roberts and Newy seems strange to me .. If he didn't qualify Berg he could have give Gary and Joe Aki's portion and signed them for nearly 2.0 mil each .. Which of the 3 players could the Leafs survive without ??

If Fergy qualifies Belak at 800k to remove Domi's leverage then only offers him 50K more while admitting that Belak can't do what Domi does is weird ..NO ??

In fact Leafs are not going to win any cups with lineups full of Kilger, Poni, Belak and Perotts ..So in a way I am kind of hoping to see the trio of players walk to see some newer and younger faces .. If 1.5 mil a piece gets you Lindros and Allison then perhaps chage is better ..

If Fergy signs his own UFA the the Leafs team going into the lockout and now into the new season will be 90% the same .. With really only the two most cost assests Leetch and Nolan to obtain being replaced with O'Neill and ??

Last edited by Mess: 08-01-2005 at 04:11 AM.
Old
08-01-2005, 04:07 AM
EazyB97

I like everything I've heard in the article. I really don't want Domi back, especially not at a mill a year. Roberts and Niewy both said they wanted to stay. O'Neil set a standard. Both are older than he is, and if everything goes well, will produce about the same numbers. I don't see why they should earn more. From the list and breakdown of players/cap space we have, I'm pretty pleased. Tomorrow can prove to be very interesting. I can see JFJ maybe raising .25 on each of Roberts and Niewy, but I doubt we'll see Domi get anything more than he was offered. Sometimes you need to put your foot down, I think its crazy for Domi to want a mill. Domi can't demand 1 mill because we need that money for better players, in order for him to get it, he'd need a bigger role, he just isn't good enough for a bigger role.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:20 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
If Fergy is willing to pay Berg $1.1 mil as the 5th/6th dman then $1.5 for Roberts and Newy seems strange to me .. If he didn't qualify Berg he could have give Gary and Joe Aki's portion and signed them for nearly 2.0 mil each .. Which of the 3 players could the Leafs survive without ??

If Fergy qualifies Belak at 800k to remove Domi's leverage then only offers him 50K more while admitting that Belak can't do what Domi does is weird ..NO ??
But are Gary and Joe worth 2 million a piece? As much as I love them I don't think they're worth that much in the new CBA. and I'm not even comparing them to Jeff. To me Jeff was an anomaly or a deviation from the norm or would be the norm in the new CBA. . But just judging from the amount of UFA's on the market, their age, etc. I don't think 2 is a fair price to pay the vets that wanna stick it with us. I'm sure I'll be heart broken if Gary signs with the Sens but that's a different issue all together.

Quote:
But that would depend on how many years Domi was looking for. Qualifiying Belak may just be an easier option for a GM that was asked by Domi for a multi year contract. (not saying that's what happened) but I'm sure there must other reasons if that's not one.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:36 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
Roberts and Niewy both said they wanted to stay. O'Neil set a standard. Both are older than he is, and if everything goes well, will produce about the same numbers. I don't see why they should earn more.
I don't think Jeff's contract should be the measuring stick per say. if that's the case, every one will appear to be expensive. We should take his contract and save it as those that "really wanna come here". One can't say that about the majority of the UFA's out there. Jeff personally agreed to take way less than he would've got just to be here. I respect him for that and he's an ExCEPTION.

If Niewey and Roberts want more and we don't ink them before noon today we can't talk about Jeff's contract can we? there'll be another 29 teams potentialy bidding for their contracts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyB97
From the list and breakdown of players/cap space we have, I'm pretty pleased. Tomorrow can prove to be very interesting. I can see JFJ maybe raising .25 on each of Roberts and Niewy, but I doubt we'll see Domi get anything more than he was offered. Sometimes you need to put your foot down, I think its crazy for Domi to want a mill. Domi can't demand 1 mill because we need that money for better players, in order for him to get it, he'd need a bigger role, he just isn't good enough for a bigger role.
JFJ shouldn't raise anything to land Joe or Gary. The way I see it is if they wanna be here they should atleast be expecting to be paid what they're worth which would be the 1.5 range, judging by their age & willingness of coarse. In other words if they belong to the "wanna play in T.O" if not younger players could be had at 2 million in this new CBA,

Old
08-01-2005, 04:49 AM
NYRfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aki Berg

You are very peculiar did you know that. Of all the players you choose to like? AKI BERG

Old
08-01-2005, 06:20 AM
no13matssundin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs_Fa_Life
It's Aki time
Hacky Aki.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:09 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
I don't think Jeff's contract should be the measuring stick per say. if that's the case, every one will appear to be expensive. We should take his contract and save it as those that "really wanna come here". One can't say that about the majority of the UFA's out there. Jeff personally agreed to take way less than he would've got just to be here. I respect him for that and he's an ExCEPTION.

If Niewey and Roberts want more and we don't ink them before noon today we can't talk about Jeff's contract can we? there'll be another 29 teams potentialy bidding for their contracts.

JFJ shouldn't raise anything to land Joe or Gary. The way I see it is if they wanna be here they should atleast be expecting to be paid what they're worth which would be the 1.5 range, judging by their age & willingness of coarse. In other words if they belong to the "wanna play in T.O" if not younger players could be had at 2 million in this new CBA,
When I say O'Neil set a standard, its a standard for people willing to come here. I think we need to add in some guys without a hometown edge, but Gary and Niewy both stated, much like O'Neil they want to be here. If this was say, Antropov and Pony asking for the money, I wouldn't measure it with O'Neil because you are right, his was surprisingly low, but to come out, say you want to play here, are from the area, and love it, then say no to, what I (and you) believe is a reasonable offer puts a sour taste in my mouth.

Closed Thread