HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Line Projections

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 01:47 AM
HughJass*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Line Projections

Everyone else is doing it. Hell, I have too much free time:

L-(free agent) C-Eric Staal R- Eric Cole
L-Josef Vasicek C-Rod Brinda'Mour R-Justin Williams
L-Radim Vrbata C-Matt Cullen- Magnus Kahnberg
L-Jesse Boulerice C- Kevyn Adams R- Marty Murray (don't think he was sent an qo, though)

extra - Ryan Bayda, Mike Zigomanis (or Jesse Boulerice )

D-Hedican D-(free agent)
D-Ward D-Kaberle
D-Commodore D- Hutchinson

extras- Wallin, St. Jacques

Captains - Brind a'Mour, alternates: Bret Hedican, Kevyn Adams

I think the Canes will be going after 2 guys who can play alot of minutes for us. We need at least another top 6 forward (no matter what position he play) in a big way, and the more I look at our D I'm scared if we don't make a big signing we will be looking at giving up alot of goals.

Hope all the talk of Aucoin and Allison comes true, but I would also like to see someone like Andreas Johannson (to be realistic) in our lineup.

Don't forget, reason because we are at like $12M is because we haven't signed our RFA's yet. I really don't think Marty Murray will be back but we will see. If everyone else is,we are good to go I think. Don't feel this team needs alot of changing, let's see how they play this season.....we are still rebuilding.

Last edited by HughJass*: 08-01-2005 at 02:03 AM.
Old
08-01-2005, 06:25 AM
WoodGundy

Wow, it's really depressing to see it all laid out like that.

There's an article in the Observer today (won't bother to link b/c you need to register) that JR only plans to spend $5.5m on 3 players in free agency, so we won't be seeing any superstar saviors come in.

If the team isn't cutting ticket prices to draw fans back, you think they'd be smart enough to spend a little extra money and make a big splash in the free agent pool to create a buzz.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:11 AM
latvianlightning

Send a message via AIM to latvianlightning
knowing JR that 5.5 number is a bargaining chip, he really doesn't know how much he is going to spend. No GM is going to come out saying "I Got Money TO Spend!" JR isn't stupid

Old
08-01-2005, 08:44 AM
WoodGundy

I hope you are right, but I don't have a lot of faith in the guy.

I know it's easy to spend other people's money, but if there is one team in the league that desperately needs to bring in a marquee player immediately, it's this one.

It will be very disappointing if teams are cutting ticket prices and shaking up their rosters all across the league and the 'Canes do nothing but ride out the free agent period and sign a few scraps at the end.

I know some of you are sensitive about the viability of this market, but face it, this is not a place like where the fans will come back just because it's "game on" again. Even the Leafs cut ticket prices and they sold out night after night for years when they had horrible teams.

If I were a casual fan in the area, I would be insulted if the team did not extend some kind of an olive branch to me. That being said, I am planning my first trip to Raleigh this fall. Probably Nov 3-5 (Tor & Fla) or Nov 25-27 (Tor & Atl).

Old
08-01-2005, 09:14 AM
latvianlightning

I agree, there needs to be something big happening to bring in new fans and satisfy the current fans, we will know in the next few days which route they are going by, do they want to win now, or just break even financially

Old
08-01-2005, 02:24 PM
Moosetache

Send a message via AIM to Moosetache Send a message via Yahoo to Moosetache
I need to get some type of conversation going in here. That free Agent you speak of in the thread for the forward position better be a good one. I personally think we need to Sign another top center as well. I would like to see Cole and Staal paired on the second line personally along with someone like Justin Williams or another skill guy (Brendl if he ever got his act together). I think I would like to see them sign either a REAL top tier winger, or maybe Allison and Satan for that first line, so Cole and Staal can get down on the second line. Put a veteran on the first line with those two pick ups. Let me know what you all think about that potential set up. I am also wondering why JR is going to only put out 5.5 mil? Does anyone know how much we have in Salaries already after we have made those QO's?

Old
08-01-2005, 02:27 PM
Moosetache

One more question, what is the story on Kahnberg? Is he going to be joining us or what?

Old
08-01-2005, 02:54 PM
latvianlightning

Kahnberg is coming to training camp, the Canes have not put out any official word if there is already a contract, He should crack the roster and earn a contract, he has the talent and size and I haven't heard anyone question his work ethic, so really the only challenge he has is adjusting to the North American Game

Old
08-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Moosetache

I have heard about this guys talents, and having him on the third line I think would do him a great amount of good getting to learn the NA game. I think that he will be able to make some mistakes there, and his talent will make up for them for the most part. I am glad to hear that he is going to make it to camp, is he just a late bloomer or would he have made the trip a couple of years ago if the NHL CBA was in better condition? Do you have any thoughts about the possible guys that JR is going after? they keep mentioning this 26-28 mil number.....as a fan, that just doesnt get it done. this is a one time opportunity to hand pick a number of great players and JR may be passing it up. I am with the previous poster, in that I have very little faith in this management to make a splash for the fans........and I think it is a big mistake. Take your picks gentlemen, and ladies, of these FA's and let me know who YOU would like to see in a canes uniform:

Jason Allison
Miro Satan
Adrian Aucoin
Bryan Berard
Glen Murray
Eric Lindros (we could run a concussion clinic with he and Allison)
Martin Straka
Brian Rafalski
Alexander Mogilny (how is his hip)
Markus Naslund (keep dreaming with JR at the helm)
Peter Forsberg (see Markus Naslund)

Old
08-01-2005, 06:01 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
possibilities that I would like to see:
Pavol Demitra
Jason Allison
Miroslav Satan
PJ Axelsson
Adrian Aucoin
Roman Hamrlik
Brian Berard

Old
08-01-2005, 07:27 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

as for my line predictions:

L-Josef Vasicek C-Eric Staal R-FA (Satan?)
L-Radim Vrbata C-FA (Allison?) R-Justin Williams
L-Matt Cullen C-Rod Brinda'Mour R-Erik Cole
L-Magnus Kahnberg C- Kevyn Adams R-Pavel Brendl

extra - Jesse Boulerice (Zigo and LaRose in the AHL)

D-Hedican D-FA (Aucoin?)
D-Ward D-Kaberle

extra - Niclas Wallin (Bruno in the AHL)

Last edited by DaveG: 08-01-2005 at 07:34 PM.
Old
08-01-2005, 08:56 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Kahnberg - Staal - Vrbata
Vasicek - Cullen - Williams
Battaglia - Brind'Amour - Cole
Forbes - Adams - Boulerice

Kaberle - Ward
Hedican - Hutchinson
Wallin - Commodore

I'm not holding my breath on any big FA signing... Bates would be an interesting addition and seems willing to come back (re: an article on the Observer). Cullen always had offensive potential, it's just a question of busting out. Kahnberg has the best hands among all our players and Vrbata's speed could help create more space while Staal makes his plays...

Old
08-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Skydog

Do you guys not anticipate Ladd making the jump to the NHL? I ask because I followed zero hockey this year and have no clue on how he has progressed.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:08 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
At this point, he could play on a fourth line, but that wouldn't help him develop his offensive game.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:50 PM
WoodGundy

KILLger I'll be more surprised if the lines don't look as you project than I'll be if they do.

I'm all for giving Bates another shot on the cheap and there is probably little to be gained from promoting Ladd straight to the big club.

Not surprisingly, a pretty quiet day for all on the free agent front.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:21 PM
HughJass*

Don't bank on Kahnberg for anything just yet. The new transfer agreement has been ratified yet, and all it takes is one country to say no.

Free agents....I don't think we are going to get anyone of significance. Probably some young players and that's it. This team is still rebuilding.

Btw, contrary to what I read earlier, my wife told me a couple of weeks ago the Hurricanes have said they have dropped ticket prices. The incentive I guess is to watch a young team lose some games, but their you go I don't know, I'm excited no matter what. Maybe the more open NHL will get people in the seats.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:59 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
My FA targets: Miroslav Satan and Mike Rathje.

One won't do it. We need both.

As for the $5.5 million number, we all remember the year after the cup run in which JR broke the bank to try to keep that winner on the ice. It didn't work out for him, but PK's love of hockey will keep him honest when it comes to shelling out the money for a free agent. He will get at least one big name.

Old
08-02-2005, 04:56 AM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16
Everyone else is doing it. Hell, I have too much free time:

L-(free agent) C-Eric Staal R- Eric Cole
L-Josef Vasicek C-Rod Brinda'Mour R-Justin Williams
L-Radim Vrbata C-Matt Cullen- Magnus Kahnberg
L-Jesse Boulerice C- Kevyn Adams R- Marty Murray (don't think he was sent an qo, though)

extra - Ryan Bayda, Mike Zigomanis (or Jesse Boulerice )

D-Hedican D-(free agent)
D-Ward D-Kaberle

Captains - Brind a'Mour, alternates: Bret Hedican, Kevyn Adams
Well, Marty Murray and Ryan Bayda are gone so let me re do this along with Caniacforever's idea.

L-Josef Vasicek C-Eric Staal R- Miroslav Satan (would look evil in the roadie)
L-Eric Cole C-Rod Brinda'Mour R-Justin Williams
L-Kevyn Adams C-Matt Cullen - Radim Vrbata
L-(fa/camp crasher) C- Mike Zigomanis R- Jesse Boulerice

extra - fa/camp crasher or Zigomanis

D-Brett Hedican D-Mike Rathje
D-Aaron Ward D-Frantisek Kaberle
D-Mike Commodore D- Andrew Hutchinson

I like Matt Cullen on the right side better and Adams down the middle but you never know how things shake up.

My predictions for camp crashers this year: LW Andrew Ladd, LW Shay Stephenson, D Matej Trojovsky, C Joe Barnes, or C/LW Ondrej Otcenas. Wouldn't be surprise of one of those guys have a good camp and find their ways on our holes filled roster. At least Stephenson and Trojovsky has the AHL to go to.

We have to go after a 1 or 2 pairing d-man in the worst way. We need a veteran forward in the lineup who can also be a 1st or 2nd line guy. Satan and Rathje may be realistic goals, I can't wait to find out what we end up looking like. As long as we keep our young guys we have now I don't care what it looks like

EDIT: Took Kahnberg out of the mix. I'm not banking on that until things get more solid on his situation. Since things are going slow with the new transfer agreement, I expect some European ******* to nix our dreams. So, I'm sure the new agreement will never come to be.

EDIT2: Called my shot on this one.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?g...wpost&t=156899

Last edited by HughJass*: 08-02-2005 at 06:16 AM.
Old
08-02-2005, 06:15 AM
Jakethesnake

As a Panthers fan I cant wait to play you guys 8 times a year.

Old
08-02-2005, 08:52 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Matej Trojovsky wasn't signed and re-entered the draft with Aaron Dawson did he not?

Old
08-02-2005, 09:06 AM
latvianlightning

who is your next target on D? Aucoin and Rathje just signed for Chicago and Philly respectively

Old
08-02-2005, 09:13 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by latvianlightning
who is your next target on D? Aucoin and Rathje just signed for Chicago and Philly respectively
With the loss of Rathje, i'm afraid our hopes on defense may have been dashed. The names out there now are either too big or too small. Bryan Berard will get interest from Carolina as well as possibly Skoula, but there are nosure things left after Rathje signed.

I'm still holding out hope for Satan though. That would ice it for me.

Old
08-02-2005, 09:38 AM
latvianlightning

I think Skoula would be the better choice, he is younger and cheaper, assuming he accepts his qualifying offer in the 1.4 mil neighborhood, if he can play a more solid positional game, he would be huge in the future for the Canes, not to mention having all the tools for a PP QB

Old
08-02-2005, 01:02 PM
Les Ouragans

Not at all a good sign so far. I will go so far as to say the future of the franchise here hangs on management signing someone who will draw people back. Fans in this area will figure out quickly if we are playing it on the cheap. Maybe there is something to salvage. I think a Satan or the like is needed, but it they are looking for $4m a year, I fear we'll be too cheap to be players.

Waiting 2 years to try and build from within won't work - it'll be too far gone then.

I hope that $5.5m figure (which equates to a $25m payroll) is just smoke, because a $25m payroll with no signature FA signing is my worst nightmare for this franchise.

Old
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

with each player that signs elsewhere I'm getting more and more ticked off. Aucoin is a key pickup for Chiacgo, and Rathje.... how the heck is Philly going to afford him anyway? Well, as long as we land Satan and Berard or Hamrlik i'll be somewhat satisfied. But man, I'm just losing faith in managment accually trying to make the Canes competitive this year.

Closed Thread