HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Round 2, Vote 8 (HOH Top Centers)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2014, 09:33 AM
  #326
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Should be noted that coach Mike Milbury named Chris Nilan to the all-star team one year.
Brad Marsh got to go in 1993 too.

I liked the Octopus too, but...

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:17 PM
  #327
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,176
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
Should be noted that coach Mike Milbury named Chris Nilan to the all-star team one year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Brad Marsh got to go in 1993 too.

I liked the Octopus too, but...
Yes, weak players are often selected ONCE as something of a homer pick by the coach or to fill the "every team needs at least one guy" requirement.

I don't see this being relevant to how many times a star player was selected.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:22 PM
  #328
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Very funny.. considering Francis has a better actual Selke record at the top end than Gilmour.

As for around that time period:

I'm sure mostly from your old bio.
Well, Francis shouldn't get disproportionate credit over Gilmour just because he's ben lucky enough to get picked by me and Gilmour hasn't.

They actually call Gilmour the best two-way player in the game in the 1993-94 guide too...

And what are you talking about with the selke records? Two players with more identical selke records don't exist.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 02:24 PM
  #329
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Well, Francis shouldn't get disproportionate credit over Gilmour just because he's ben lucky enough to get picked by me and Gilmour hasn't.

They actually call Gilmour the best two-way player in the game in the 1993-94 guide too...
Which makes sense because they were both considered among the best during that time. Personally at that time I would have chosen Gilmour but then again I think he was the best player in the world 92-93 to 93-94.

However, you were the one insinuating that Francis was not playing "actual" Selke defense.

Quote:
And what are you talking about with the selke records? Two players with more identical selke records don't exist.
Except Francis' is actually slightly better at the top, right?


Last edited by BraveCanadian: 01-04-2014 at 02:30 PM.
BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 06:25 PM
  #330
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
Which makes sense because they were both considered among the best during that time. Personally at that time I would have chosen Gilmour but then again I think he was the best player in the world 92-93 to 93-94.

However, you were the one insinuating that Francis was not playing "actual" Selke defense.
What? I was responding to you saying he was playing selke defense in 1990! Those quotes start in 1993.


Quote:
Except Francis' is actually slightly better at the top, right?
I looked last week, and I recall them being within the margin of who-gives-a-****...

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 06:28 PM
  #331
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 39,176
vCash: 500
We only have 14 votes so far? Is it a hangover from the holidays or are people losing interest already?

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 07:00 PM
  #332
BraveCanadian
Registered User
 
BraveCanadian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,761
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
What? I was responding to you saying he was playing selke defense in 1990! Those quotes start in 1993.
We were talking about his last mid-90s all star game appearance.


Quote:
I looked last week, and I recall them being within the margin of who-gives-a-****...
Then maybe you shouldn't have attempted to play Francis down in comparisons of their actual Selke defensive play.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 08:51 PM
  #333
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!
 
Mike Farkas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,040
vCash: 500
Vote forthcoming...Colts game got the best of my mental energy for a while...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2014, 09:31 PM
  #334
seventieslord
Moderator
 
seventieslord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveCanadian View Post
We were talking about his last mid-90s all star game appearance.
This was my mistake; I thought you were saying he was playing selke defense in 1990. Looking back, I can see you were not saying that.

Quote:
Then maybe you shouldn't have attempted to play Francis down in comparisons of their actual Selke defensive play.
whatever, this statement is irrelevant in the face of my misreading of your post from last night.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:17 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.