HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

Female Marines Not Required to Meet Physical Fitness Standard

Old
12-27-2013, 05:04 PM
Mr Atoz*
I hid the Atavachron

vCash: 500
Female Marines Not Required to Meet Physical Fitness Standard

Surprise, surprise. Even though the liberals swear it would never ever happen, women can't pass the marine physical so the marines changed the rules for them. It's always the same story. First, "Women should be given 'equal opportunity'". Then, when they all fail, the test is 'sexist' because women can't pass. So they change the rules. Over and over and over again. If you are in a politically correct category, the liberals will cheat for you and claim it's their right to do so.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barb...d-do-3-pullups

[I](CNSNews.com) -- Females in the Marine Corps will not have to meet the physical fitness standard--set to go into effect as of January --of being able to do at least three pull-ups, the Corps quietly announced on social media.

Unlike their female counterparts, male Marines have long been required to do at least 3 pullups.

The Marines have postponed the deadline for female Marines to be able to do at least three pullups for at least another year.

Currently, “women aren’t able to make the minimum standard of three pull-ups,” Marine spokesman Capt. Eric Flanagan told CNSNews.com. Fifty-five percent of female recruits tested at the end of boot camp were unable to do three pull-ups (1 percent of male recruits also failed).

Last edited by Live in the Now: 12-27-2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: can't post whole article
Mr Atoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Sevanston

Clearly being able to do 3 pull-ups is the ultimate test of a marine's ability in the field.

The marines understand that, which is why they're eager to toss out anyone who can't pass the 3 pull-up test.

Quote:
Marine officers told NPR off-the-record that, given the three-pull-ups rule, they were afraid of losing “not only new recruits, but also current female Marines who can’t pass the test.”
Liberals ruin everything again.

Sevanston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 06:20 PM
LC

vCash: 50
even the high school nerds in 80s movies could do 3 pull ups

LC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 06:23 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 340
I am outraged.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Ugmo

"CNS News."

What, there was no Breitbart link?

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 08:58 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 905
omg who cares

InglewoodJack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Doppler Drift

Why do you hate the troops (Marines) Mr. Atoz? Or is it only the womenfolk? Darkies?

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:26 PM
Troy McClure

"liberals swear it would never ever happen"

Who ever said that?

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Ugmo

If you're PredsV82, does it give you pause that everyone on your side of the political fence here is an abject moron?

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 09:55 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post
Surprise, surprise. Even though the liberals swear it would never ever happen, women can't pass the marine physical so the marines changed the rules for them. It's always the same story. First, "Women should be given 'equal opportunity'". Then, when they all fail, the test is 'sexist' because women can't pass. So they change the rules. Over and over and over again. If you are in a politically correct category, the liberals will cheat for you and claim it's their right to do so.

[I](CNSNews.com) -- Females in the Marine Corps will not have to meet the physical fitness standard--set to go into effect as of January --of being able to do at least three pull-ups, the Corps quietly announced on social media.

Unlike their female counterparts, male Marines have long been required to do at least 3 pullups.

The Marines have postponed the deadline for female Marines to be able to do at least three pullups for at least another year.

Currently, “women aren’t able to make the minimum standard of three pull-ups,” Marine spokesman Capt. Eric Flanagan told CNSNews.com. Fifty-five percent of female recruits tested at the end of boot camp were unable to do three pull-ups (1 percent of male recruits also failed).
3 pull ups? I'm 40 and out of shape and I can do three.

And I don't even brag about it

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:15 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post

It's already implemented now for our police and firefighters. Might as well implement it in the service member qualifications.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:16 PM
Kellogs
G'night Sweet Prince

I don't understand how doing pullups help in sandwhich making endeavors.
Not serious

Kellogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Kestrel

I was prepared to shake my head when I read the title, but after reading the content, I don't think it's a big deal. If 55% of female recruits can't do 3 pull ups, chances are that they would be losing some pretty good recruits over something that likely has a small impact on their overall performance.

Kestrel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 11:16 PM
JaysCyYoung

Good old selective equality in action. Let's compromise the effectiveness of our military fighting force and endanger the lives of the other, qualified members who passed their physical testing requirements, all to make some politicians feel good for acting "progressive."

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-27-2013, 11:21 PM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
I was prepared to shake my head when I read the title, but after reading the content, I don't think it's a big deal. If 55% of female recruits can't do 3 pull ups, chances are that they would be losing some pretty good recruits over something that likely has a small impact on their overall performance.
And I think you would have a more valid point if this policy was being enacted in the Air Force - although I would still personally be vociferously against it - but as an American (I'm presuming here, correct me if I'm wrong), you should be aware of the fact that the Marines have always prided themselves on being the most physically fit branch of the U.S. military.

Old
12-28-2013, 12:19 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Good old selective equality in action. Let's compromise the effectiveness of our military fighting force and endanger the lives of the other, qualified members who passed their physical testing requirements, all to make some politicians feel good for acting "progressive."
Yeah, 3 pull ups are gonna save your life.

Eisen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:33 AM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Damn that flew over your head.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 12:37 AM
Kurtosis
COYS

Being a Marine is pretty physically demanding, so I'm not seeing why candidates that cannot do 3 simple pull-ups should really be going through the process.

I'm sure there has to be some legitimate excuse other than trying to force more women through that are not really qualified.

Kurtosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 01:00 AM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
Son, if you cannot perform three pull-ups, which anyone who isn't a quadriplegic should be able to perform with ease, on what basis do you think you are going to survive 120 days of hell in boot camp, do a 30+ mile yomp in 100 pounds of combat gear and body armour, or lose up to 30% of your body weight on operational tour and still maintain fighting readiness?

You're missing the larger picture colossally.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:08 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
The more important question is whether these changes actually do compromise the effectiveness of our military fighting force.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 01:17 AM
Xelebes

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
Being a Marine is pretty physically demanding, so I'm not seeing why candidates that cannot do 3 simple pull-ups should really be going through the process.

I'm sure there has to be some legitimate excuse other than trying to force more women through that are not really qualified.
The pull-up focuses on muscles (biceps/triceps, shoulder muscles) that have a bias towards males. This is primarily upper body strength which females are not so often advantaged with. Contrast this with lower-body strength which favours females and is poorly tested with modern marine exercise regimens.

Xelebes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 01:30 AM
Kurtosis
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
The pull-up focuses on muscles (biceps/triceps, shoulder muscles) that have a bias towards males. This is primarily upper body strength which females are not so often advantaged with. Contrast this with lower-body strength which favours females and is poorly tested with modern marine exercise regimens.
It's only 3 though.

Is the lower body advantage relative? Or are women overall stronger?

Old
12-28-2013, 02:39 AM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurtosis View Post
It's only 3 though.

Is the lower body advantage relative? Or are women overall stronger?
The gap is much less pronounced for lower body strength than it is for upper body strength but it is still there. I'm wondering if 3 pullups is just a gatekeeper type of thing that's not really needed (though something might be needed to replace it) and can be replaced by some test better suited for today (for men and women).

Loose Sens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 02:44 AM
Kurtosis
COYS

Well if the gap is there the gap is there.

Anyway, no matter what gender you are you have to be prepared for the strenuous nature of the occupation.

Maybe new tests are needed, but they would need to be carefully selected.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:08 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Women in the US Armed Forces are not allowed to serve in combat situations. Having a few desk jockeys who are unable to do three pull-ups isn't going to put anyone's life in danger.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote