HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
01-03-2014, 06:10 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UticaHockey View Post
I think it was the same lines they have been going with except Marshall was a scratch and Friesen moved to a wing with Welsh at center.

DeFazio - Lain - Mallet
Archie - Pelletier - Grenier
Jensen - O'Reilly - Ferriero
Friesen - Welsh - Stuart

Jensen hasn't won the confidence of Coach Green to play much in the third period of a close game and DeFazio usually ends up on the line with O'Reilly and Ferriero. I forgot what other changes he made in the third period but DeFazio in place of Jensen is a common occurrence. I know Welsh and Stuart both got a lot of late game ice, Friesen not so much.
Thanks. Looks like 4 good lines that should all be able to play hockey.

At least we know Jensen is still getting ice time with other scorers. If his lack of strength is really the issue I just hope there are other things he can work on developing throughout the season rather than plateauing and waiting for the offseason. I know he's been conscious of his defensive game but improving his two-way play even more would be a big help, for starters.

Old
01-03-2014, 06:13 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox Head View Post
Fox, Gaunce, and Shinkaruk.

Possibly some NCAA signings - Labate, Hutton? McNally? Who knows. It's looking like it's going to be a young team.
I think Labate will sign, and McEneny should be with the Comets. Possibly Shinkaruk and Kenins too.

Old
01-03-2014, 10:06 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWanderer View Post
So next year, barring movement to the big club, Comets get to add Fox and Gaunce, right? Or am I mistaken?
If Fox improves his skating, he could end up with the big club. This team needs more of a shot like his...

Old
01-03-2014, 10:30 AM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
If Fox improves his skating, he could end up with the big club. This team needs more of a shot like his...
That seems like a pretty big stretch, but anything is possible.

Old
01-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Grenier and Sauve both with fights in the 2nd period.

01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Comets PP as bad as the Canucks.

Old
01-03-2014, 08:34 PM
How Ya Drouin
12/08/13 GM GamesRIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Impossible.

Old
01-03-2014, 09:41 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Comets don't have the same talent on paper on their 1st unit PP - I'd argue the Canucks have to be worse given they have "more to work with".

Old
01-04-2014, 04:50 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

vCash: 50
Grenier scores with his 10th early first

Old
01-04-2014, 06:22 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Jensen looks pissed

Old
01-04-2014, 06:23 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Nice goal for Lain picking up a rebound from the high slot!

Old
01-04-2014, 06:39 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

Leivo was playing like Jensen during his first stint with Chicago, got a hattie. Although he came into this game without one in 12 games.

Only saw the third so I can't comment on much but the pp was ugly as hell and the team didnt play with much energy.

Old
01-05-2014, 11:15 AM
Bad Goalie

The Comets seem to have coach instilled rules about how to run the PP. It does not include a man in front of the net. No one ever moves down low on the back door. They just pass around the perimeter. I f they pass more than 3 times they usually lose control and the puck is sent out of the zone. They don't seem to have a set maneer of getting into the offensive zone. When they dump it everyone is standing at the blue line and the opponent gets there first and sends it right back out. If someone skates it in he usually lacks support to pass off to and inevitably loses the puck and out it goes. Their best success has been to win the draw and shoot within three passes. Their best chance to score is usually within the first 20 seconds of the power play. Once the puck is out of the zone they spend most of the remainder of the PP trying to get set up again. They are most successful as a crash and bang team. Setting up the power play and passing around the perimeter looking for that one pretty set up is not really in their skill set.

Old
01-05-2014, 11:29 AM
UticaHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Goalie View Post
The Comets seem to have coach instilled rules about how to run the PP. It does not include a man in front of the net. No one ever moves down low on the back door. They just pass around the perimeter. I f they pass more than 3 times they usually lose control and the puck is sent out of the zone. They don't seem to have a set maneer of getting into the offensive zone. When they dump it everyone is standing at the blue line and the opponent gets there first and sends it right back out. If someone skates it in he usually lacks support to pass off to and inevitably loses the puck and out it goes. Their best success has been to win the draw and shoot within three passes. Their best chance to score is usually within the first 20 seconds of the power play. Once the puck is out of the zone they spend most of the remainder of the PP trying to get set up again. They are most successful as a crash and bang team. Setting up the power play and passing around the perimeter looking for that one pretty set up is not really in their skill set.
The Comets entire PP revolves around setting up a one timer from either the point or the weak side wing. If they can't get those shots open all they do is pass the puck around and never get a shot off.

Old
01-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Craz1bo1

Quote:
Sounds like their parent club

Old
01-06-2014, 02:00 PM
Bad Goalie

I'm still confused at how to post an opinion as a rookie.

Old
01-06-2014, 03:00 PM
Bad Goalie

I just typed a real good set of comments about our Utica Comets and am told I can't submit them. Yet my question about how to submit was accepted. Do I have to log on again after every submission?

Old
01-06-2014, 03:02 PM
Bad Goalie

See my confusion comments keep getting submitted, why not my team comments?

Old
01-06-2014, 03:04 PM
Bad Goalie

I am a Comets season ticket holder and would like to give my take on the team as requested by many Canucks Fans.

Old
01-06-2014, 03:06 PM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

Quote:
I am a Comets season ticket holder and would like to give my take on the team as requested by many Canucks Fans.
I private messaged you with some advice to help with the issue. You're a new poster so sometimes account approval takes a few hours.

01-06-2014, 03:13 PM
Bad Goalie

First the forwards. They are not a highly skilled bunch. They are poor passers (too far, not far enough, too hard, too soft, into the skates or when on target often bounces off the receiver's stick. They spend way too much time on the perimeter and with their fore mentioned puck skills, their efforts for the pretty play usually fail. They are very effective at a crash and bang style. When they use this hard hat/lunch bucket mentality approach no team regardless of their place in the standings has been able to handle them. The problem is they do it in an off and on pattern as if they are being told not to do it or else they just lose their intensity.

Old
01-06-2014, 03:17 PM
Bad Goalie

The forwards in the defensive end need lots of improvement. They do not deny their opponent time and space and therefore give up way too many good scoring chances. They often look lost as to where they should be or who they should be covering. They are reluctant to just get the puck out and often pass it deep into their own zone instead creating more difficulties for our already weak defense.

Old
01-06-2014, 03:23 PM
Bad Goalie

Next the goalies. These guys are real young and not very experienced to accept a heavy load at this level. They have been sporadic. Eriksson has shown by far the better progress. When given a chance to take on the responsibility he has gotten better and better. Cannata should get a chance to start at a lower level to hone his skills. Neither can develop and succeed by getting bounced back and forth from starter to the bench.

Old
01-06-2014, 03:40 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

Nice to have so many Uticans stopping by. I wish we had a Kalamoozian (Kalamazooite?) to weigh in on Blomstrand.

Old
01-06-2014, 06:15 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

anyone else having a hard time projecting a forward roster for next season? With the possible additiona of Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk, Kenins, Rodin, Blomstrand, and likely having Jensen, Grenier, Welsh, and Archibald staying down there...there isn't much room once you factor in the AHL only players like Pelltier,O'Reilly,Stuart etc...any care to take a shot at next years forward lineup, and say who will be forced to utica?

Closed Thread