HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Utica Comets AHL Discussion - Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2014, 06:17 PM
thepuckmonster
professional winner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL for Norris View Post
anyone else having a hard time projecting a forward roster for next season? With the possible additiona of Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk, Kenins, Rodin, Blomstrand, and likely having Jensen, Grenier, Welsh, and Archibald staying down there...there isn't much room once you factor in the AHL only players like Pelltier,O'Reilly,Stuart etc...any care to take a shot at next years forward lineup, and say who will be forced to utica?
I would be pretty comfortable in stating Rodin won't be playing in Utica next season.

Old
01-06-2014, 06:29 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepuckmonster View Post
I would be pretty comfortable in stating Rodin won't be playing in Utica next season.
Ya...I did say possible additions before Rodins group but I could still see it happening...bringing back Rodin at this point would ne akin to signing a top college free agent, and he is playing well is Sweden so you never know

Anyway my stab at the lineup is as follows

1st-Archibald,Pelletier,Grenier
2nd-Shinkaruk,O'Reilly,Jensen/Fox(The one who plays worst gets to go to the ECHL)
3rd-Kenins,Gaunce,Stuart
4th-Mallet,Lain,Blomstrand
Welsh being shuttled in, and out of lineup due to call UPS to NHL

Old
01-06-2014, 07:29 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Thanks for the insight Bad Goalie, it's good to have another observer from Utica filling us in. And welcome to the boards!

Old
01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
MS

Quote:
Ya...I did say possible additions before Rodins group but I could still see it happening...bringing back Rodin at this point would ne akin to signing a top college free agent, and he is playing well is Sweden so you never know

Anyway my stab at the lineup is as follows

1st-Archibald,Pelletier,Grenier
2nd-Shinkaruk,O'Reilly,Jensen/Fox(The one who plays worst gets to go to the ECHL)
3rd-Kenins,Gaunce,Stuart
4th-Mallet,Lain,Blomstrand
Welsh being shuttled in, and out of lineup due to call UPS to NHL
Archibald is trending toward being in the NHL next year and Blomstrand really doesn't matter - he'll only be in the AHL if they need bodies.

I suspect we'll see a prospect or two traded at the deadline or during the summer.

Old
01-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Archibald is trending toward being in the NHL next year and Blomstrand really doesn't matter - he'll only be in the AHL if they need bodies.

I suspect we'll see a prospect or two traded at the deadline or during the summer.
Forget next year ... with injuries and the indifferent play of Weise, it may be Archibald back here for the remainder of this season.

Old
01-06-2014, 07:58 PM
MS

Lain has 7 goals in his last 14 games. Didn't expect that from him and it's very encouraging. Haven't seen full games but looks like he's doing the right things and going to dirty places, and showing improved hands when he gets there.

Jensen meanwhile, has gone 0-0-0 in 7 games since he scored his goal. So much for 'just needing one and then he'll take off'.

Old
01-06-2014, 08:00 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
Forget next year ... with injuries and the indifferent play of Weise, it may be Archibald back here for the remainder of this season.
I'm not getting the criticism of Weise.

He's had an invisible last 5-7 games (in very limited icetime) but was terrific from his return in mid-November through mid-December. Scored a bunch of points and was being very physical.

Still consider him quite easily our best 4th line player.

Old
01-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
I'm not getting the criticism of Weise.

He's had an invisible last 5-7 games (in very limited icetime) but was terrific from his return in mid-November through mid-December. Scored a bunch of points and was being very physical.

Still consider him quite easily our best 4th line player.
I think when we Sestito making impact after a very slow start, you look for guys like Weise to also show signs of impact. Imagine if both were playing to their abilities. When guys like Dustin Brown and Jordan Nolan running around injuring the Canucks' top stars, guys like Weise have to uh, return the favour, IMO.

Old
01-06-2014, 08:56 PM
MS

Quote:
I think when we Sestito making impact after a very slow start, you look for guys like Weise to also show signs of impact. Imagine if both were playing to their abilities. When guys like Dustin Brown and Jordan Nolan running around injuring the Canucks' top stars, guys like Weise have to uh, return the favour, IMO.
It's nice that Sestito has been good in the last few games and Weise has struggled, but for the vast majority of the season Weise has been the better player by a wide margin.

Old
01-06-2014, 10:22 PM
Jimson Hogarth

vCash: 1212
Quote:
It's nice that Sestito has been good in the last few games and Weise has struggled, but for the vast majority of the season Weise has been the better player by a wide margin.
By my count in the games against the Cali teams Weise has
1 holding penalty
2 shots
11 hits

in 5 games.

Not very good against a couple of the most physical teams in the league.

Sestito: 10 minute misconduct, interference (hit against Williams), tripping, 2xcharging
3 shots
21 hits

in 7 games

I still contend Weise looks a bit intimidated against these bigger, team tough teams.

Old
01-06-2014, 10:59 PM
Yossarian54

Quote:
Jensen meanwhile, has gone 0-0-0 in 7 games since he scored his goal. So much for 'just needing one and then he'll take off'.
I think Jensen is at the point where, given his ELC goes for another 2 years, you write him off to the AHL for the duration of that contract. If he gets it together, great, if not, goodbye.

Old
01-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Lain has 7 goals in his last 14 games. Didn't expect that from him and it's very encouraging. Haven't seen full games but looks like he's doing the right things and going to dirty places, and showing improved hands when he gets there.

is he getting a lot of shots off, or just getting lucky?

Old
01-07-2014, 12:30 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
is he getting a lot of shots off, or just getting lucky?
Getting lucky to a good extent - he's shooting 30% or so over that stretch.

But for a guy who didn't have a point in his first 20 pro games, it's a pretty nice development.

If he can become a minute-chewing #3 center at the AHL level capable of scoring 15 ES goals/year at that level, then there's hope he can eventually slide into the #4 center position here, or at least be a useful callup.

Guys who aren't able to generate any offense at lower levels - as Lain didn't in the NCAA or his first big chunk of AHL time - don't end up taking regular NHL shifts.

Having said all that, he has to continue his sharp upward curve because he's old as hell for a prospect. His draft year was the same as Patrick White and Taylor Ellington.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:51 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
anyone else having a hard time projecting a forward roster for next season? With the possible additiona of Gaunce, Fox, Shinkaruk, Kenins, Rodin, Blomstrand, and likely having Jensen, Grenier, Welsh, and Archibald staying down there...there isn't much room once you factor in the AHL only players like Pelltier,O'Reilly,Stuart etc...any care to take a shot at next years forward lineup, and say who will be forced to utica?
Fox, Gaunce and Shinkaruk will be the new ones to watch, mainly. Will be interesting to see how Kenins does as well once he comes over to NA.

Archibald looks like he could be a 13th forward at the NHL level starting next season. Welsh will probably be up and down but he looks like he could be a 4th liner eventually too.

Grenier, Jensen should be returnees. Hopefully Blomstrand solidifies a spot on Utica next year.

Old
01-07-2014, 09:12 AM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian54 View Post
I think Jensen is at the point where, given his ELC goes for another 2 years, you write him off to the AHL for the duration of that contract. If he gets it together, great, if not, goodbye.
He's 20 years old...

Old
01-07-2014, 10:02 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
He's 20 years old...
So? His odds of becoming an NHL regular right now are probably less than 5%. Guys who are this bad (3 goals in 50 games) don't suddenly turn into top-6 NHL scoring wingers, ever. And he's a pure top-6/bust guy.

Old
01-07-2014, 10:17 AM
arsmaster

So you're saying there is a chance, MS?

Old
01-07-2014, 12:33 PM
ihaveyuidonttouchme

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
He's 20 years old...
1 he's not shiny new prospect anymore
2 doesnt have shiny + pretty stat numbers
3 ???
4 bust

Old
01-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Proto

Quote:
So? His odds of becoming an NHL regular right now are probably less than 5%. Guys who are this bad (3 goals in 50 games) don't suddenly turn into top-6 NHL scoring wingers, ever. And he's a pure top-6/bust guy.
Yeah, it sure looks that way. If he has any value left, he should be moved now. I expect him to be playing in European leagues within a few years. It sure looks like going over to Europe was catastrophic for his development.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Yeah, it sure looks that way. If he has any value left, he should be moved now. I expect him to be playing in European leagues within a few years. It sure looks like going over to Europe was catastrophic for his development.
Seriously doubt it had anything to do with his current play.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:24 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveyuidonttouchme View Post
1 he's not shiny new prospect anymore
2 doesnt have shiny + pretty stat numbers
3 ???
4 bust
I remember all the same arguments when Patrick White was 20. There are thousands of prospects that have come through NHL systems in the past two decades and we know where guys should be tracking if they're going to make the NHL. Especially for a top-6/bust guy like Jensen who won't stick in the NHL based on grit/defense/intangibles.

If you can find one guy in the past 15 years who was taken in the top two rounds of the draft, had a start to his career similar to Jensen's, and then became a scoring line NHL player ... I'd be pretty damn impressed.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Seriously doubt it had anything to do with his current play.
I don't know. He didn't get to play big minutes, had issues with his coach, and overall it certainly didn't seem to improve his play at all. He looks like a nothing player at this point.

I'm not saying necessarily that it was playing over there that did it, but that it seems like it was a questionable choice for that particular player when he could have stayed in North America and played big minutes. I could have easily envisioned a scenario where Jensen didn't pan out as a prospect, but not one where it looks like he might not even end up as an AHL player. At this rate, that doesn't seem impossible, which is mind blowing.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
I don't know. He didn't get to play big minutes, had issues with his coach, and overall it certainly didn't seem to improve his play at all. He looks like a nothing player at this point.
He did get to play big minutes, in a men's league. He was scratched a few times and moved around the line-up but it's not like he spent that whole year on 3rd and 4th lines.

Besides, I warned people about him being a non-factor at ES in the AHL in his first stint when he had 6 goals in 8 games. He looked great on the PP but also had some luck but at ES he looked exactly like he does now.

What's more probable is that he simply peaked early on for whatever reason. I generally preach patience with prospects but I'm seeing zero improvement in Jensen's game. I have more faith that Mallet will somehow turn out as he's actually making strides game-to-game.

Old
01-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He did get to play big minutes, in a men's league. He was scratched a few times and moved around the line-up but it's not like he spent that whole year on 3rd and 4th lines.

Besides, I warned people about him being a non-factor at ES in the AHL in his first stint when he had 6 goals in 8 games. He looked great on the PP but also had some luck but at ES he looked exactly like he does now.

What's more probable is that he simply peaked early on for whatever reason. I generally preach patience with prospects but I'm seeing zero improvement in Jensen's game. I have more faith that Mallet will somehow turn out as he's actually making strides game-to-game.
Yeah, it's hard to pinpoint something like that, exactly. My issue is more that him going over there made it a lot harder to get a read on how to project him moving forward. At least if he'd been over here the team could have kept tabs on him and his results in comparison to his previous results.

I do think he would have played more minutes over here and in more situations, though. I can't recall off the top of my head, but wasn't he more like 14 minutes a night over there? Maybe I'm mis-remembering.

Old
01-07-2014, 02:01 PM
Betamax*
YOU MAD, BRO?

Quote:
Apparently Coach Torts agrees with me ... with the recall of Archibald and reports from Botchford that Weise and Booth for that matter are the scratches.

Closed Thread