HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't expect too much

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 08:57 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

vCash: 500
Don't expect too much

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=833

Writer is predicting an Allison, Zhitnik or Lapointe instead of the big names. Blame it on Boivin.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Archijerej

That's not bad. Not bad at all. I like Zhitnik and If he's in a good form he would be our best defenceman IMO. Both Zhitnik and Lapointe are tough costumers and would add some sandpaper to our smurf squad. I'm not keen on Allison however, I'm worried about his injuries and how is he doing on wing position. If Gainey signed Zhitnik, Lapointe and a first line winger I would be one happy Habs fan.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

I don't think anyone is seriously thinking that the habs will get the big names out there. That's not the habs style (it's not like we're very popular on the UFA markets), and it's not Gainey style. But even second tier veterants can be great acquisition if they fit the right hole at the right price. Think Begin and Langdon... nobody expected these two to have the role they had last season, because everyone had their eyes on Laperriere and Laraque.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:24 AM
Canadian_Brewtality

Well thats the problem, we never get any big name players.

When we got Kovalev last year, the city was bouncing. The first time we had a legitimate superstar since Roy.
To put the hype back into the city, Gainey needs to get a credible superstar.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Season Ticket Holder

I didn't read the article, but the names mentioned are solid players.

Allison's a real unknown at this stage, but considering no one will likely pay him real money (except via incentives) then maybe, just maybe you do take a chance on a guy like this. He used to be a top 10 center...

Zhitnik's a decent dman. Better than most of what we have at this stage.

As for Lapointe: well he was insanely overpaid, but before that he was one of the top 3rd liners in the league. Bring his salary back into range, hammer that ego down a wee bit so he doesn't think he's worth uber dollars and let him prove himself again. He's got the skill and size.

UFAs -- it all depends on the $$ we're going to spend. If you spend $450k on Allison + incentives is it worth it? Could bloody well be.

Or $1.5 million on Lapointe? Maybe even less. Then maybe...just maybe it's worth doing.

STH

Old
08-01-2005, 09:46 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
At least an Allison would be a home run attempt for old bland stand pat bob. Who is running this joint? Why does Boivon have any say? Fire his old ass and save some money.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:47 AM
Kasparov*

Hey, those guys are more than i was expecting...

Old
08-01-2005, 09:51 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
At least an Allison would be a home run attempt for old bland stand pat bob. Who is running this joint? Why does Boivon have any say? Fire his old ass and save some money.
If they can bring in Allison it'll be more than I can expect from my team (located in a place where french is the official language and heavy tax is its logo)

Old
08-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Habsaku

That would be fine IMO, I would like to add two defensemen though.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:47 AM
SuperUnknown

I wouldn't touch Allison. While I think he's dominant when he's healthy, he's not healthy often. He's really fragile, probably one hit away from retiring like Lindros. He has played only 26 games since 2002. As well, he's mostly a playmaker and we'd lack a finisher to play with him.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:49 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
relax ! cool down..you forgot to take your prozak or what ?

Old
08-01-2005, 10:54 AM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
I wouldn't touch Allison. While I think he's dominant when he's healthy, he's not healthy often. He's really fragile, probably one hit away from retiring like Lindros. He has played only 26 games since 2002. As well, he's mostly a playmaker and we'd lack a finisher to play with him.
i think that Allison isn't the player that was always in the surgery , but the guy who got one really bad ....that doesn't mean he,s injury prone, no ?

Old
08-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe
I don't think anyone is seriously thinking that the habs will get the big names out there. That's not the habs style (it's not like we're very popular on the UFA markets), and it's not Gainey style. But even second tier veterants can be great acquisition if they fit the right hole at the right price. Think Begin and Langdon... nobody expected these two to have the role they had last season, because everyone had their eyes on Laperriere and Laraque.
Yeah, nobody expects Gainey to go out and get a guy like Kovalev. That is totally not his style.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:20 AM
RE-HABS

With the UFA talent available out there any 2 or 3 signings are going to be a significant help and boost to our roster. The lower talent available is still probably 2nd line or 2nd D pairing guys which is a real help, we have to look at our roster as not being filled just by currrent players and potential UFA's. We are going to have maybe 3-5 fulltime newbies or rookies in our line-up from Hainsey, Komisarek, Higgins, Perezhogin and Plekanec too so we don't have a hell of a lot of roster space available.

Plus don't blame Boivin, "praise" him! He is leaving more space available for next season when the UFA market will be younger and entering their prime! I'm sure they are keeping the money aside to re-sign Theo and hopefully trying to land Vinnie...so we have a plan in place not just a quick fix this year.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:24 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0v
i think that Allison isn't the player that was always in the surgery , but the guy who got one really bad ....that doesn't mean he,s injury prone, no ?
He broke wrists and had a few concussions. His last concussion kept him out for over a year. A year after his concussion his vision still wasn't clear. When he made efforts, his vision would blur. His career was close to be over (and it remains to be seen if it isn't over, it might be still). In the last five NHL seasons, Allison played in 218 games only out of 410 NHL games.

As well, who knows how his play will be affected by his time away from the rink. He hasn't played an NHL game since 2002.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:35 AM
Medicine Twin

I'd rather have Ribs fulltime than end up having an always injured Allison. We can't have both, there's no room. Allison would be worth the risk otherwise... amazing player IMO.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:36 AM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
He broke wrists and had a few concussions. His last concussion kept him out for over a year. A year after his concussion his vision still wasn't clear. When he made efforts, his vision would blur. His career was close to be over (and it remains to be seen if it isn't over, it might be still). In the last five NHL seasons, Allison played in 218 games only out of 410 NHL games.

As well, who knows how his play will be affected by his time away from the rink. He hasn't played an NHL game since 2002.
I agree with Smail.

Allison has stated himself that he won't be a point a game player anymore and more than likely will take on a role to be more of a shadow type 2nd to 3rd line centre or banger (he said he'll take on any roll the coach wants him to play). To me that tells me a lot, it says he has declined quite a bit...I would rather take a chance on Lindros over Allison.

Old
08-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Drakkar

Cheap UFA's that I think could play here in Montreal:

Michal Rozsival, 26 years old
Assets: Has an exciting combination of passing and shooting skills from the point. Is a good-sized defender with above-average mobility.
Flaws Needs to be more focused for an entire 82-game schedule. Should make better use of his 6-1, 212-pound frame and still has work to do in the defensive zone. Is prone to serious injury.
Career potential Top four defenseman.

Dan McGillis, 33 years old
Assets: Has good skating ability, a great shot from the point and an all-around performer along the blueline. Is also a premier body-checking rearguard.
Flaws Isn't a natural power-play quarterback and is inconsistent on offense. Gets out of position on occasion in an attempt to make the big hit.
Career potential Top four defenseman.

Mark Eaton, 28 years old
Assets: Sees the ice well. Makes sharp passes out of the defensive zone. Is poised and a good skater. Has greatly improved his work behind the blueline.
Flaws Doesn't use his 6-2, 208-pound frame nearly enough, and lacks physical presence. Is no longer considered an offensive threat.
Career potential Defensive defenseman.

What do you think? Of course none of these guys are superstars, but signing one might bring some depth to our defensive core.

Old
08-01-2005, 01:29 PM
JohnnyB11

Hmm... just read the article and it looks to me that the writer is predicting the Habs signing Kovalev, Aucoin and Lapointe.

His 'honorable mentions' include Allison, Deadmarsh, A. Carter up front, and Zhitnik, Rafalski and D. Hatcher on D. These are the guys he figures the Habs will target if any of the three he predicted sign elsewhere.

All in all, I hope his predictions are accurate!

Old
08-01-2005, 01:47 PM
eddy

I'd be happy with those players for sure. I really think Allison is headed to Toronto though.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:36 PM
baldrick

Murray and Satan would be very acceptable 2nd tier options IMO
when compared with Perrault and Dagenais.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:02 PM
goalchenyuk

why not resign Perreault ...i am sure he would be willing to sign at only 2.5 m$

Old
08-01-2005, 07:04 PM
goalchenyuk

no , i was not serious .......hi hi !

Closed Thread