HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gainey's rebuild plan

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Dragon

vCash: 500
Gainey's rebuild plan

The year before I went to a game (I forgot which one, maybe Habs-lightning season game) I noticed the size difference between 2 teams. Geez Habs looks like blue-elf / bees floating around on the ice comparing to big boys in lightning uniform.

With Gainey at helm, he knows exactly what the Habs need => AT LEAST average skill with SIZE and SPEED. Of course everyone wants players with skill, size and speed but since there is only 1 Tkachuk and 1 Bertuzzi in the league, we can settle for someone with average skill along with size and speed.

Look at what Gainey is doing, he let go Ward who's slow. He got Kovalev and trying to keep him who has SKILL, SIZE AND SPEED. Bonk is another classic example, speed, size and average skill. Sundstrom, who a lot of people think he is a goner or Gainey should get rid of him is another example. That's where we are weak at and Gainey is tuning it nicely!!!!!

Talking about the draft. I never see Brule play but frankly he looks interesting and should become a good player. However if you look at our roster and organization chart. How many midget can we afford in the team? Koivu, Zednik, Bulis, Perezhogin, Higgins, Ryder are small comparing to 6"4 Primeau. Hossa and Kostitsyn isn't monster either. And they are our core today and the future (yes I omitted Ribs because I think Gainey will replace him with bigger stronger, faster guy soon). No one say the players I mentioned above are no good (THEY ARE INDEED VERY GOOD) however we need the right mix to win the cup.

In the playoff, players will wear down from one round to another. Midget players wear down (injury, hit taken, energy) easier than the big giants. With the current lineup which is full of midgets we won't go far.

I am sure all of you agree and see the impact of a player with skill, speed and size in our team (aka Kovalev).

Guys like Kariya, Palffy are good but I don't think Gainey would even consider signing them. I believe Gainey would prefer something has size and speed in the UFA market.

I think I can see the trend and definitely Gainey has the map. It has been a long time since I can see there is direction in the Habs management team.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:56 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Success by inertia? Old stand pat Bob as not shown yet that he is the man with a plan.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:03 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Success by inertia? Old stand pat Bob as not shown yet that he is the man with a plan.
I think to tune the team, you first have to cut off the part you don't want before you bring in new players? I think Gainey did that with Ward, Brisebois and Dowd? What about Bonk? I don't see the link between these moveS and the word "inertia"?

Old
08-01-2005, 09:16 AM
SuperUnknown

Bonk isn't particularly fast. He has an odd skating style too.

Old
08-01-2005, 09:21 AM
Habsaku

How many players in the league look big next to Primeau?

Old
08-01-2005, 09:22 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
How many players in the league look big next to Primeau?
You don't need the whole team to be as big as Primeau but we have NONE of them

Old
08-01-2005, 09:27 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
You don't need the whole team to be as big as Primeau but we have NONE of them
Sheldon Souray and Mike Komisarek are big guys for us

Old
08-01-2005, 09:28 AM
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMO_ROCKS
Sheldon Souray and Mike Komisarek are big guys for us
I mean upfront. Sorry for mis-leading

Old
08-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Empireshark

I think it's obvious that Gainey is trying to make the team bigger now and in the future. He cut most of the soft, small players and traded for a big center last year. He traded a small prospect and pick for a big scoring winger. He drafted Chipchura first, another big player, and most of the players he drafted this year are all over 6' and 200 lbs. Drafting small skilled players is fine but when you need a couple of good big players up front and you're loaded with little guys its hard to make a player for player trade for a bigger player with a similiar skill set. Dragons right, you need the right mix of players to go far in the playoffs and right now the majority of our team is undersized. We need some big players that can win battles in the corners and park themselves in front of the net. Skill will only get you so far.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empireshark
I think it's obvious that Gainey is trying to make the team bigger now and in the future. He cut most of the soft, small players and traded for a big center last year. He traded a small prospect and pick for a big scoring winger. He drafted Chipchura first, another big player, and most of the players he drafted this year are all over 6' and 200 lbs. Drafting small skilled players is fine but when you need a couple of good big players up front and you're loaded with little guys its hard to make a player for player trade for a bigger player with a similiar skill set. Dragons right, you need the right mix of players to go far in the playoffs and right now the majority of our team is undersized. We need some big players that can win battles in the corners and park themselves in front of the net. Skill will only get you so far.
Good post. I like Gainey's game plan in making the team bigger. Not only adding bigger players, but players with character, heart and passion to win.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:57 AM
Joe Cole

I agree with the original posters thesis, get bigger, get harder.

The truth is small players breakdown when they play over their head for too long. Last season's Canadiens had too many small forwards. Montreal had to decide who was the core of this team NOW and in the futre and build around that. Just putting the best players on the current roster on the ice does not make a winning line up. You gotta have complementary players.

Gainey's fingerprint is starting to reveal itself. Not only in the player's he puts on the ice, but in the coaching, scouting, marketing, physical therapists etc.

I am happy their is a SMART hockey man at the helm. We deserve it.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:11 AM
Habsruleen

While I agree that we are and should be getting bigger, I think 'rebuild' is kind of a strong word. How about fine tune?

Old
08-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Habs13

The Bruins always have a big team and still can't get past "midget" Montreal come play-off time...

Old
08-01-2005, 04:05 PM
AlexCvm

Getting bigger...oh..that's important. I forgot how big were Tampa Bay and how we had no chance winning against the BIG Boston Bruins in the 2004 playoffs...

Old
08-01-2005, 04:16 PM
saskhab

Tampa was big... Lecavalier, Modin, Andreychuk, Dingman, Roy, Taylor, even Fedotenko has some size. Plus their D... Kubina, Cullimore, Sarich, Lukowich. The Lightning had one of the NHL's biggest teams. They just had Richards and St. Louis who everyone looked at and said "small, skilled players can win you championships". Sure, if they're surrounded by big guys around them to help wear down the opposition and create space for the little guys.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Mike8

Size is overrated.

Small physical players do not get injured any more than big physical players.

Gainey resigned Sundstrom; a player who's soft, smallish, slow, and has zero tenacity. Does this fit into your Gainey rebuilding plan?

Bonk is another player who is big, but not tenacious. Not terribly fast. Hasn't shown a desire to go the extra mile to make his team a successful team, which is partially why Ottawa let him go for relatively little.

I don't know, Dragon, I'm not seeing a great plan so far.

I like Bonk and respect Sundstrom to an extent, but they're support players on a winning team. Montreal does not need size so much as strength and tenacity.

Lapointe is below average size in the NHL. Would you consider him a physical presence on the ice?

He is thick and has deceptive size. The better grinders are not overly big, but they're thick. The better checkers are not terribly big, but they're good skaters, can anticipate their targetted opponent.

If Montreal does not pick up two solid grinders, who just need to be thick, tenacious and have a desire to win with some hockey sense (ie. Lapointe, McCarty, Domi), then I believe the team is in for a rough ride this year.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:31 PM
polarslam

The Habs do need to add some size, but not just for the sake of adding size.

Skilled Size.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:38 PM
larue*

The habs are drafting character players. Everybody wants size and with guys like Chiper, Latendresse, Higgins, Komi, Lappiere, Price, Perez, and so on, BG is drafting heart size as well. These players play to win and we are going to have one hell of a strong team for many years to come.

Closed Thread