HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

White Guy Accused Of 'Knockout Game' Attack On Black Man Charged With Hate Crime

Old
12-28-2013, 10:43 AM
JMiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Honestly, I haven't followed the phenomenon that closely. My position is just based on the premise that if one is targeting other people based on their race, they should be charged regardless of their own personal race, black or white.

I find it very convenient that an administration that has a pretty sketchy record on matters of racial impartiality would choose to only prosecute a white guy for a crime that has up until now been commuted primarily in urban environments.

I'm Canadian for the record, so the silly American infighting about the reliability of the various media outlets doesn't interest me in the least. That gets enough discussion on here every day.
Of course they should, but I haven't seen any real reports of anyone really arrested who was really "targeting" whites. Just because this drummed up story has focused on "urban environments" doesn't mean anything really other than playing to the same old racial fears of suburban audiences.

I'd also love to know what you think this administration's "sketchy record" on racial impartiality is.

JMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post

Notwithstanding that I don't trust you to determine what's a liberal source, because you obviously consider any source that doesn't prompt you to grab your pitchfork to be liberal - is it still a liberal source when the guy who writes the article is also the author of “Power Divided is Power Checked: The Argument for States’ Rights"? Although possibly you realized that you were posting the work of a conservative columnist and edited your post for that reason.

Secondly, what are you saying, that young black males are more likely to commit crimes in America than whites? You don't say. They are also far more likely to commit crimes against members of their own race (funny how you decided not to post those statistics after all).

And yet rather than feeling the slightest bit of shame or outrage that the propaganda you subscribe to has now literally resulted in an angry young white guy assaulting an elderly black man (the real story here), you have swallowed hook, line and sinker Fox News' efforts to deflect from a crime for which they harbor partial responsibility. You are so transparent. I can't believe you would post this here and expect people not to see through it.

Ugmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:02 AM
JaysCyYoung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
The "knock-out game" doesn't even exist (EDIT: as a widespread phenomenon. To the extent that it exists at all, it was fashionable for a time in a certain section of Saint Louis and involved random victims). The media, and especially the right-wing media, has been latching onto regular random assault cases and running with the myth that they are racially motivated. Here we have a specific case that IS racially motivated, which is why the Justice Department is getting involved with hate crime charges.
I'll defer to your knowledge on this one then. Feel free to disregard my previous remarks.

JaysCyYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:12 AM
651*

Quote:
Notwithstanding that I don't trust you to determine what's a liberal source, because you obviously consider any source that doesn't prompt you to grab your pitchfork to be liberal - is it still a liberal source when the guy who writes the article is also the author of “Power Divided is Power Checked: The Argument for States’ Rights"? Although possibly you realized that you were posting the work of a conservative columnist and edited your post for that reason.

Secondly, what are you saying, that young black males are more likely to commit crimes in America than whites? You don't say. They are also far more likely to commit crimes against members of their own race (funny how you decided not to post those statistics after all).

And yet rather than feeling the slightest bit of shame or outrage that the propaganda you subscribe to has now literally resulted in an angry young white guy assaulting an elderly black man (the real story here), you have swallowed hook, line and sinker Fox News' efforts to deflect from a crime for which they harbor partial responsibility. You are so transparent. I can't believe you would post this here and expect people not to see through it.

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Great response. What, you couldn't think up a Fox News talking point to regurgitate?

Old
12-28-2013, 11:18 AM
651*

Quote:
Great response. What, you couldn't think up a Fox News talking point to regurgitate?
Again, of what relevance is it? I could post a hundred sources under the sun and you'd cry this or that.

The moral of your posts is clear. White-on-black crime is "hate," and black-on-white crime isn't.

Good on ya.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:24 AM
RoryDelap
SCFC 1863

RoryDelap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Again, of what relevance is it? I could post a hundred sources under the sun and you'd cry this or that.

The moral of your posts is clear. White-on-black crime is "hate," and black-on-white crime isn't.

Good on ya.
That's not the moral in the slightest. White-on-black crime is hate when the perpetrator specifically states that race was his motive, as in this case. If a white guy randomly attacks a black guy out of convenience, then that's not a hate crime. This particular incident IS a hate crime. This isn't that complicated.

I'll tell you why you posted this though: Christmas is over, so Fox can't use the "war on Christmas" angle to gin you up. Now they have to go with something else, so they've invented the double-standard angle for a story that they are partially responsible for due to propagating the myth of the "black-on-white knockout game." You never fail to disappoint. Roger Ailes tells you to grab your pitchfork, and here you are, like a good (angry) parrot.

Old
12-28-2013, 11:44 AM
QC
Visionary.

vCash: 1000
I liked 651 more when he was out golfing (hiding).

QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 01:54 PM
Mr Atoz
I hid the Atavachron

Quote:
Sure, post the statistics. And don't forget to include the statistics for black-on-black crime.

How does black on black crime mitigate black on white crime?

The point is that blacks commit a staggeringly high percentage of crimes compared to whites. Who the victims are is only relevant when discussing black on white crime vs. white on black crime. And the latter is almost non existent.

Mr Atoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-28-2013, 06:36 PM
651*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Atoz View Post

The point is that blacks commit a staggeringly high percentage of crimes compared to whites. Who the victims are is only relevant when discussing black on white crime vs. white on black crime. And the latter is almost non existent.
You can't say that. That's RACISS!

Old
12-28-2013, 10:35 PM
Ugmo

Quote:

The point is that this thread was started as a butthurt, knee-jerk reaction to the Fox News outrage talking point du jour that the Justice Department is applying a double standard. You know, the War on Christmas being over for this year and all, so Roger Ailes created the outrage of the day to get 651 to dance like a marionette with a pitchfork. You, Mr. Atoz, seem more like AP's retarded sock puppet than anything else, so I'll leave you out of this for the time being.

Old
12-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
You can't say that. That's RACISS!
Every time you pretend to talk Ebonics I feel my IQ dropping like a rock. I'm sure it's very amusing in your conservative, white, rural cocoon, but to everyone else it makes you look like you are a simpleton.

Old
12-29-2013, 12:33 PM
651*

Quote:
Every time you pretend to talk Ebonics I feel my IQ dropping like a rock. I'm sure it's very amusing in your conservative, white, rural cocoon, but to everyone else it makes you look like you are a simpleton.
Imagine how I feel having to hear the ****ing **** damn near every week for my entire life growing up on the East Side with all the liberal ghetto trash!

LMAO

P.S. Every time you talk about "old white conservatives" WTF do you think you look like?

Last edited by 651*: 12-29-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old
12-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Do Make Say Think

vCash: 144
Quote:

Way to completely miss the point there

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Quote:
The "knock-out game" doesn't even exist (EDIT: as a widespread phenomenon. To the extent that it exists at all, it was fashionable for a time in a certain section of Saint Louis and involved random victims). The media, and especially the right-wing media, has been latching onto regular random assault cases and running with the myth that they are racially motivated. Here we have a specific case that IS racially motivated, which is why the Justice Department is getting involved with hate crime charges.
you might want to rethink that it doesn't exist. It's all over NYC and it happens on a daily basis.

Brooklyn Residents Rally Against ‘Knockout Game’

After more brutal attacks, community activists and residents rallied Friday against the violent trend.

when the likes of Sharpton's NAN get involved you know it's everywhere:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/...game-assaults/
Quote:
Like other alleged “knockout” victims, she was not robbed, but left on the street injured.

Online videos from various cities show young suspects randomly punching innocent victims.

Community activist Tony Herbert from the Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network said they are calling on social media companies and their advertisers to stop showing images of these attacks.

“The one thing we do denounce is the opportunity of folks to use social media like World Star Hip Hop and YouTube to proliferate this kind of stupidity,” Herbert said.

Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Imagine how I feel having to hear the ****ing **** damn near every week for my entire life growing up on the East Side with all the liberal ghetto trash!

LMAO

P.S. Every time you talk about "old white conservatives" WTF do you think you look like?
I don't care what you had to listen to, you sound like a moron.

Your last line makes no sense, like all the rest of the drivel you post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
you might want to rethink that it doesn't exist. It's all over NYC and it happens on a daily basis.

Brooklyn Residents Rally Against ‘Knockout Game’

After more brutal attacks, community activists and residents rallied Friday against the violent trend.

when the likes of Sharpton's NAN get involved you know it's everywhere:
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/11/...game-assaults/

Sorry, it's you that needs to reconsider. Random assaults have always existed. Do not fall for the latest meme from the right-wing outrage machine:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-myth/3729635/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ony-panic.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...aults_are.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-k...rhyped-2013-11

Old
12-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Quote:
Sorry, it's you that needs to reconsider. Random assaults have always existed. Do not fall for the latest meme from the right-wing outrage machine:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/n...-myth/3729635/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...ony-panic.html

http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/...aults_are.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-k...rhyped-2013-11
Really I need to reconsider? I guess Sharpton's group and all those BLACK folks protesting about the knockout game are wrong. Yep all those youtube videos of people saying knockout after hitting someone don't exist. move along.

Police: Examples Of Troubling ‘Knockout’ Game Popping Up All Over
Recent Attacks Have Targeted Brooklyn Jews; 78-Year-Old Woman Latest Victim

here's right wing ABC news:

look at these right wingers: Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (NY-8), Rep. Yvette Clarke (NY-9), Brooklyn Borough President-Elect Eric Adams, Brooklyn District Attorney-Elect Ken Thompson, Assemblyman Karim Camara (AD-43)

http://jeffries.house.gov/media-cent...-knockout-game

Quote:

REP. JEFFRIES: "Random acts of violence, particularly when targeted at people on the basis of race or religion, will not be tolerated. If you violently participate in the knockout game, we will do everything in our power to make sure that the criminal justice system is there to knockout socially unacceptable behavior. We must also make sure that we positively reinforce young people throughout the community in a manner that promotes constructive activity by at risk youth."

REP. CLARKE: "The community we share in Brooklyn will not tolerate random acts of violence. Attacks on any people in our community are an attack on our community as a whole,” said Rep. Yvette Clarke (NY-9). “With the leadership of this community and the New York City Police Department, we will stop the violence that threatens our safety."

BROOKLYN BOROUGH PRESIDENT-ELECT ERIC ADAMS: "This dangerous, despicable "game" represents the worst kind of sick violence--and the perpetrators must be dealt with swiftly and harshly. Needless violence can never be tolerated; and violence in the name of hate and entertainment are the worst crimes that can be committed against citizens and society. Today we are uniting our borough to stop this "knock-out game" before another New Yorker is senselessly hurt. To these gutless offenders we say loud and clear: play this game, and you will lose."

BROOKLYN DISTRICT ATTORNEY-ELECT KEN THOMSPON: “I’m here, standing with my colleagues in government, group of African American and West Indian American leaders to reach out now, before it’s too late, to any young person, who thinks, for one second, that it’s cool to sucker punch a totally unsuspecting, defenseless person for laughs or to gain some ridiculous measure of status. There is no status to be gained when you cowardly sucker punch a defenseless victim or you watch or encourage a friend to do the same. It’s not cool, it’s not right, we know better, and it won’t be tolerated. A civilized society demands that we cannot and will not tolerate such senseless violence."

ASSEMBLYMAN KARIM CAMARA (AD-43): " I deplore acts of violence against anyone; and denounce the recent vicious and reprehensible acts of violence occurring across Brooklyn and the Country. We must see such acts of violence against any individual as an attack against every individual. I commend Commissioner Kelly, the NYPD's Hate Crimes Task Force and local commanding officers for their swift action and commitment to investigating these incidences".

ASSEMBLYMAN WALTER MOSELY (AD-57): "We stand together as one community to say that this “knockout game” - which has terrorized innocent people across the country - will not be tolerated in Brooklyn," said Assemblyman Walter Mosley. "We have come too far and worked too hard to unify our diverse city and borough to allow a few rogue criminals to turn back the clock of progress. I urge those with any information on perpetrators of this kind of random, senseless violence to contact their local precinct so that we can restore a sense of peace and safety to our neighborhoods."

CITY COUNCILMEMBER-ELECT LAURIE CUMBO: "I am devastated that our children have made the decision to attack members of our community through what they call 'the knockout game'. They don't realize that the lives of those that they have assaulted will never be the same unlike a video game. They don't realize that their own lives will also never be the same because they will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I am devastated because we as a community have failed our children anytime they feel that they have so little value for their own life that they could attack another member of the community. It is critical in our new administration that we provide our young people with the resources to channel their talents and dreams and to create opportunities to learn about one another so that we can build one community where we can all grow together and learn from one another."

According to the New York Police Department, there have been numerous incidents related to the “knockout" game. Several victims have been assaulted in similar fashion in Crown Heights, which has a sizable Jewish population. Over the weekend, authorities arrested and charged Amrit Marajh, 28, with aggravated assault as a hate crime, assault as a hate and assault in the third degree in relation to an attack on a Jewish Brooklyn resident. Last week, a 78 year-old woman was attacked in while walking down the street in Midwood.

There have been several victims of the knockout game all over the country. There have been reports of similar assaults on innocent victims of all ages in New York, Illinois, Missouri and Washington D.C. In New Jersey, one man died as a result of injuries connected to the violent game.

Last edited by Lost Horizons: 12-29-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old
12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Ugmo

What part of "random assault have always taken place" don't you understand?

Old
12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Ugmo

Yeah, Al Sharpton finding an excuse to put himself in the spotlight is really proof of something.

Old
12-29-2013, 11:43 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Quote:
What part of "random assault have always taken place" don't you understand?
These aren't random assaults occurring for no reason. What don't you understand about that? No random assault is followed with someone saying knockout after their done or filming and putting it online with the headline Knockout as part of the video title.

Old
12-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
These aren't random assaults occurring for no reason. What don't you understand about that? No random assault is followed with someone saying knockout after their done or filming and putting it online with the headline Knockout as part of the video title.
They are though. All those links you are posting are from over a month ago. Not so coincidentally, a bunch of media reports surfaced at the same time telling people to chill out because there is no discernible pattern of a knockout game and these are just random assaults that are occuring at the same rate they always have. Do you have any newer links to post about the knockout game? I suspect you don't, because the right-wing outrage machine then moved onto its perennial War on Christmas as well as rallying around the bearded duck bigot.

Old
12-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

Quote:
They are though. All those links you are posting are from over a month ago. Not so coincidentally, a bunch of media reports surfaced at the same time telling people to chill out because there is no discernible pattern of a knockout game and these are just random assaults that are occuring at the same rate they always have. Do you have any newer links to post about the knockout game? I suspect you don't, because the right-wing outrage machine then moved onto its perennial War on Christmas as well as rallying around the bearded duck bigot.
these are from this past week It's all over the news in NYC and it's on the news daily

Cops reveal sketch of Brooklyn 'knockout game' suspect who punched woman walking with daughter
The latest victim in the assaults on the borough's Jewish communities was a 33-year-old who was punched while walking on E. 12th St. and Elm Ave. in Midwood with her 7-year-old daughter.

Leaders call for an end to 'knockout game'

Last edited by Lost Horizons: 12-30-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old
12-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

More stories from around the city:

New ‘knockout’ attack

L.I. thug to face charges in seven ‘knockout’ attacks

Quote:

A Long Island man will be charged with punching out seven men as part of the “knockout” game, according to a spokesman for the Suffolk County Prosecutors office.

Darryl Mitchell, 20, of North Amityville will be arraigned Wednesday in Suffolk County Criminal Court for allegedly slugging the victims — two of them over the age 65 — in confirmed incidents of the violent game, the spokesman said.

Mitchell was caught by cops on Dec. 4 after he punched a 69-year-old man twice at around noon on Williams in North Babylon and tried to flee.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Lost Horizons
Crying Waiting Hopin

from sept:

Teen gets 18-months in 'knockout game' death

Quote:

SYRACUSE, N.Y. (AP) — A 13-year-old boy has been sentenced to 18 months of confinement for the beating death of a 51-year-old Syracuse man.

The teenager waived his right to a hearing that was scheduled for Friday. He had pleaded guilty to assault and attempted assault, admitting that he started the fatal beating by attempting to knock the man out with a single punch.

The teen said he and his friends were playing a street game called "knockout." His punch apparently had little to no effect, but the follow-up from a 16-year-old boy caused bleeding in the victim's brain, and he died in late May.

The 16-year-old co-defendant was found guilty last month in Onondaga County Family Court of second-degree manslaughter and received the same sentence.

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.