HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Worst critical game by a goalie?

View Poll Results: Worst critical game by a goalie
Mike Liut 1981 8 13.79%
Gerry Cheevers 1979 2 3.45%
Evgeni Nabokov 2010 4 6.90%
Patrick Roy 2002 25 43.10%
Curtis Joseph 1993 1 1.72%
Patrick Lalime 2004 10 17.24%
Tom Barrasso 1993 3 5.17%
Ken Dryden 1972 0 0%
other 5 8.62%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-28-2013, 09:18 PM
Eisen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I'll give you some options. Now, these aren't normal games in the middle of January. They are important games. In the postseason such as a Game 7 or during the Olympics/Canada Cup. Yes the "usuals" will be posted here. So vote on them. Don't just look at the score, although that's part of it, but look at the quality of goals, how much the goalie let the team down.

Mike Liut 8-1 loss to Russia in the Canada Cup final

Gerry Cheevers 6-0 loss to Russia in the final game of the Challenge Cup (let in some weak ones)

Evgeni Nabokov - 7-3 loss (pulled after 6-1) in the quarterfinal against Canada in the 2010 Olympics

Patrick Roy - 7-0 loss pulled after 6-0 (?) in Game 7 of the 2002 semis against Detroit

Ken Dryden - 7-3 loss against Russians in opening game of the 1972 Summit Series

Curtis Joseph - 6-0 loss against Toronto in Game 7 of 1993 quarterfinals

Tom Barrasso - 4-3 overtime loss against Islanders Game 7 1993 (a couple terrible goals allowed, Isles also hit the post in overtime before the big goal. Looked weak on overtime winner as well)

Patrick Lalime - 4-0 loss to Leafs in Game 7 of 2004 series (allowed an impossible angle shot and a long shot from inside the blue line, both from Nieuwendyk)

Obviously these are off the top of my head, and I will have missed some potential others. But feel free to name them. I guess hindsight is 20/20 but I'm not sure why an older Cheevers was in net in 1979. I understand it was February 1979 and the Bruins had back to back years in the Cup final so that makes sense. Dryden was never great against the Russians and the other option was an equally as old Tony Esposito. But still.
I will defend Mike Liut for that game. He was hung out to dry and, if memory serves correct, he didn't let in a weak goal in that game. They all came from prime scoring positions. Granted, he didn't play spectacular but I blame that loss on the team in front of him (and of course on the great effort by the Soviets).

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
It might have helped if the rest of his team had of showed up for the game too.
Red Wings were up 4-0 before the Avalanche could even blink. That loss is squarely on him.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Hammer Time

vCash: 533
Roberto Luongo, Game 6 2011 SCF? A chance to win the Stanley Cup, and gave up three goals (two of them weak) within 2 minutes in the first period to go down 3-0.

Tretiak 1980 USA vs USSR. There's no way the USA should have went into the first intermission with a 2-2 tie. Make one more routine save and the Soviets probably get their 5th gold medal in a row.

Barrasso 1993 is probably the worst, in the sense that his team actually had a chance to win and the goalie simply blew it.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:51 AM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Red Wings were up 4-0 before the Avalanche could even blink. That loss is squarely on him.
Yep. The first goal was redirected by Holmstrom, but that 2nd goal shortly after by Fedorov had to be back breaking. It was a terrible goal and I think all of the air was let out of Colorado at that moment.

What often gets lost in that whole series is the clutch play at the other end of the rink. While Roy was giving us the Statue of Liberty in game 6 and the disaster of game 7, Hasek was posting back to back shutouts in elimination games.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 02:06 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Actually, it was 2-0 before they could blink. The Av's failed or really, were incapable of responding well enough and it was 4-0 10 minutes later.
But hey lets blame Roy right and while you're at it, why don't you tell me how many goals the Av's supported Roy with after he impossibly lead them to a 3-2 series lead?

The Av's were completely overmatched by a completely bought and paid for powerhouse Detroit team in the first place that had no business going more than 4 maybe 5 games without Roy.

And of course no one mentions that that was Roy's and the Av's 3rd consecutive game 7 that year. Roy won both previous game 7's by shutout, 4-0 over the Kings and 1-0 over the Sharks.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:42 AM
tony d
Thanks for memories

Roy in 2002.

12-29-2013, 08:58 AM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Rhiessan, how does previous games matter when we are talking about one singular game? Of course Roy has more great games, he is after all the second best goalie ever.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 11:37 AM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Rhiessan, how does previous games matter when we are talking about one singular game?
If the goaltender is the reason for the team being able to play in the critical game in the first place and the team offers no goal support in that game either, it's kind of ridiculous to fault him. I say this mostly for Curtis Joseph, because COME ON.

Too much finger pointing at goaltenders. How would you even make a thread about worst critical games for skaters? Do you know how many skaters have laid eggs on the scoresheet in critical games?

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 11:50 AM
yukoner88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadekuuro View Post
Vancouver was up 2-0 in the series (and Game 3 was 1-1 at the time, late in the 2nd). Bertuzzi had a penalty shot in the 3rd that would have tied the game back up, but was stuffed.
yea thats what I thought, couldn't remember if it was 2-0 or 2-1. After that goal Cloutier just shut down and costed the Canucks a series that they had complete control of.

yukoner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 12:28 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisen View Post
I will defend Mike Liut for that game. He was hung out to dry and, if memory serves correct, he didn't let in a weak goal in that game. They all came from prime scoring positions. Granted, he didn't play spectacular but I blame that loss on the team in front of him (and of course on the great effort by the Soviets).
I know, Liut gets a bad rap here. This is why I personally picked Cheevers in the 1979 Challenge Cup. Some of the goals he allowed were atrocious. Liut just didn't make the important saves in the 3rd period. But I will say this, he did keep the game competitive. It was only 3-1 after two periods. With Nabokov against Canada the game was over before it started. Russia was never in the game. It was 4-1 after one period. 6-1 4 minutes into the second period. Then Nabokov was pulled and the game was eventually 7-3. Canada was blitzing but Nabokov just played awful. Worse than Liut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Time View Post
Tretiak 1980 USA vs USSR. There's no way the USA should have went into the first intermission with a 2-2 tie. Make one more routine save and the Soviets probably get their 5th gold medal in a row.
I thought of that, however he let in one bad goal at the end of the 1st period. The rebound control was awful but the defense let Mark Johnson walk right in there too. This was one period and he let in two goals. Albeit one was terrible, but for a guy who was arguably the best goalie in the world, I think it was premature for Tikhonov to pull him. It was Myshkin who allowed the two third period goals.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 01:24 PM
TAnnala
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoipourquoi View Post
If the goaltender is the reason for the team being able to play in the critical game in the first place and the team offers no goal support in that game either, it's kind of ridiculous to fault him. I say this mostly for Curtis Joseph, because COME ON.

Too much finger pointing at goaltenders. How would you even make a thread about worst critical games for skaters? Do you know how many skaters have laid eggs on the scoresheet in critical games?
I agree that overall the picture is bigger than one game and if the offense fails too there is more to the story than just goalie. But the premise of this thread is about one single bad performance by goalie in important game.

The nature of the position is tough. We tend to point at goalies more easily than any other position. Like Luongo in the finals.

TAnnala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAnnala View Post
Rhiessan, how does previous games matter when we are talking about one singular game? Of course Roy has more great games, he is after all the second best goalie ever.
But the odds were against him the second they lost game 6 as no goalie/team has ever won 3 consecutive game 7's in the same playoff year ever and generally that 3rd game 7 tends to go badly for said teams/goalies.
I'm pretty sure Thomas 2 years ago is the first goalie to even win 3 game 7's in the same playoffs let alone 3 consecutive.

The reality is that Roy could have stopped 98 of 100 shots in those last 2 games and still lost both.
The Av's didn't score a single goal in the last 120 minutes of that series. Some credit to Hasek of course but Hasek wasn't the reason why the Wings won that series. Roy was however the reason why the Av's almost won that series.

I just feel that the criteria for a goalie blowing a game 7 should come from a position of strength. Like Lalime in this case, superior team and circumstance and he just blew it. Roy and the Av's were big underdogs in that series to begin with and the Wings winning was in no way, shape or form an upset.
If the Av's had have won however, it would have been called a huge upset.

Old
12-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Redwingsfan84

easily Roy. It never got old seeing the wings dummy him ( I am aware that he was quite good against the wings as well).

Redwingsfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 08:46 PM
Sadekuuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukoner88 View Post
yea thats what I thought, couldn't remember if it was 2-0 or 2-1. After that goal Cloutier just shut down and costed the Canucks a series that they had complete control of.
DRW were still fragile in Game 4; if Vancouver could've gotten the lead, they would've been in command. But one-legged Yzerman was a man possessed that series. It was only after a dominant 1st period in Game 5 that the Wings looked at all comfortable.

Quote:
The reality is that Roy could have stopped 98 of 100 shots in those last 2 games and still lost both.
The Av's didn't score a single goal in the last 120 minutes of that series. Some credit to Hasek of course but Hasek wasn't the reason why the Wings won that series. Roy was however the reason why the Av's almost won that series.

I just feel that the criteria for a goalie blowing a game 7 should come from a position of strength. Like Lalime in this case, superior team and circumstance and he just blew it. Roy and the Av's were big underdogs in that series to begin with and the Wings winning was in no way, shape or form an upset.
If the Av's had have won however, it would have been called a huge upset.
I don't think it would have been that huge of an upset. Defending Cup champs (albeit sans Bourque), still a talented, battle-hardened team, and the one team able to beat the Red Wings of that era consistently. Obviously the Wings were favored, but that series was pretty evenly played outside of Games 3 and 7.

Hasek deserves credit for Game 6 if nothing else. The Avs ran out of gas in Game 7 and it didn't take a goalie of that caliber to beat them, but they were pressing for the series win in Game 6.

However, I agree with you about coming from a position of strength, and find that it's hard to fault Roy even for such a spectacular flameout because they indeed wouldn't have been there without him. They're the only team I can think of besides the '93 Maple Leafs that even played three straight Game 7s. (Are there any others?)

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2013, 10:11 PM
Sentinel

Quote:
Actually, it was 2-0 before they could blink. The Av's failed or really, were incapable of responding well enough and it was 4-0 10 minutes later.
But hey lets blame Roy right and while you're at it, why don't you tell me how many goals the Av's supported Roy with after he impossibly lead them to a 3-2 series lead?

The Av's were completely overmatched by a completely bought and paid for powerhouse Detroit team in the first place that had no business going more than 4 maybe 5 games without Roy.

And of course no one mentions that that was Roy's and the Av's 3rd consecutive game 7 that year. Roy won both previous game 7's by shutout, 4-0 over the Kings and 1-0 over the Sharks.
Cry me a river. Avs weren't that far behind Detroit in the on ice talent.

Last edited by Chalupa Batman: 12-29-2013 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Try it again without the personal shot. Understand? I'm tired of having this discussion with you.
Old
12-29-2013, 10:21 PM
Sentinel

I voted for Nabokov. Hideous performance. Every time it looked like Russia started to have something going for them, he let in another goal. Sure, bad coaching and defense had something to do with it, but Nabokov was just not there.

Old
12-30-2013, 12:27 AM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

Quote:
Cry me a river. Avs weren't that far behind Detroit in the on ice talent.
Yeah, if you were talking about 00/01 sure.

Not the 01/02 season.
The Av's lose Bourque to retirement.
The Wing's on the other hand, bolster their already talent laced roster with Hasek, Hull, Lucky Luc and a rookie Datsyuk without giving up a thing.

Not that far behind? Yeah right

Old
12-30-2013, 01:26 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Voted other. Tommy Salo screwing his team out of a medal in 2002 against Belarus of all teams has to be one of the worst performances ever in a critical situation. Didn't even need to be a critical situation but he turned it into one.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 01:29 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Red Army vs Montreal Canadiens newyears eve 1975 one of the most viewed games in cbc history game ended 3-3.Dryden let in 3 poor goals on 13 shots.Montreal outshot Red Army 38-13.
Kharlamov's goal was poor? Yeah riiight.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:03 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I thought of that, however he let in one bad goal at the end of the 1st period. The rebound control was awful but the defense let Mark Johnson walk right in there too. This was one period and he let in two goals. Albeit one was terrible, but for a guy who was arguably the best goalie in the world, I think it was premature for Tikhonov to pull him. It was Myshkin who allowed the two third period goals.
I think that Tretiak or any other good goalie on a good day could've/would've also gloved the Buzz Schneider slapper; while it was a good shot, it wasn't that hard & difficult IMO.

Pulling Tretiak may or may have not cost the game, but it is not as certain as some people (e.g. Tretiak himself) like to think; the move at least seemed to wake the Soviets up a bit, as the 2nd period was clearly the best period USSR played in the game, even though they managed to score only one goal.

VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:09 AM
goeb

I also just recalled Trevor Kidd's poor performance game 7 in the 1995 playoffs vs. the Sharks...Flames had a pretty good team that year but Kidd was just atrocious against the Sharks.

I don't agree with this being a poor performance overall, but Leighton's goal against for the cup winner in 2010, bleh.

thinking back Roy has had a few stinkers in game 7's, Oilers in 1998, Stars 1999, he was awful early on if I recall in game 7 against the Stars in 2000.

goeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 07:44 AM
Yurog

Bryzgalov-Fleury 2012 was freak show!

Yurog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
I think that Tretiak or any other good goalie on a good day could've/would've also gloved the Buzz Schneider slapper; while it was a good shot, it wasn't that hard & difficult IMO.

Pulling Tretiak may or may have not cost the game, but it is not as certain as some people (e.g. Tretiak himself) like to think; the move at least seemed to wake the Soviets up a bit, as the 2nd period was clearly the best period USSR played in the game, even though they managed to score only one goal.
Vladimir Myshkin was the replacement. Not too shabby. I wouldn't necessarily call that winning the lottery either. Tretiak was the better goalie for sure but they Soviets weren't giving the game away either.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2013, 11:33 PM
double5son10

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
Kharlamov's goal was poor? Yeah riiight.
Agreed. None of them were "bad goals". Kharlamov's was brilliant, Mikhailov's was a a beautiful wrist shot from the high slot, Alexandrov's was off a two-on-one. Still maintain the Dryden was bad argument insults the Russians' skill.

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2013, 03:07 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Yeah, if you were talking about 00/01 sure.

Not the 01/02 season.
The Av's lose Bourque to retirement.
The Wing's on the other hand, bolster their already talent laced roster with Hasek, Hull, Lucky Luc and a rookie Datsyuk without giving up a thing.

Not that far behind? Yeah right
I didnt hear a single thing about avs being the underdogs in the WCF. Most were thinking that this would really be the test of strength for Detroit and that it was the real cup final.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote