HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

The Official Sabre Free Agency Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-13-2005, 09:06 AM
mckerr1207

vCash: 500
Anders Eriksson

Noticed he wasn't mentoned on your A thru F list of defensemen - where would you rate him ? Seems to be the next best available if Hamrlik is indeed gone to Calgary.

Old
08-13-2005, 09:15 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerr1207
Noticed he wasn't mentoned on your A thru F list of defensemen - where would you rate him ? Seems to be the next best available if Hamrlik is indeed gone to Calgary.
Personally I rate Anders in that realm of AHL defensemen that I didn't include.

08-13-2005, 09:28 AM
Hobey Baker

Send a message via MSN to Hobey Baker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot
Personally I rate Anders in that realm of AHL defensemen that I didn't include.
I don't know. I might take a look at him if the price is right. (And I'm sure it would be). I see him as a cut above the AHLers listed.

Eriksson>Fitzpatrick?
Eriksson>Campbell?

Last edited by Hobey Baker: 08-13-2005 at 03:03 PM. Reason: it was spelling....then I decided to add on a bit
Old
08-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
I don't know. I might take a look at him if the price is right. (And I'm sure it would be). I see him as a cut above the AHLers listed.

Eriksson>Fitzpatrick?
Eriksson>Campbell?
IMO
Eriksson = Campbell
Eriksson < Fitzpatrick

Old
08-13-2005, 08:46 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Jason York is still out there. He would be a decent addition imo...

Old
08-13-2005, 09:32 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Of the D still out there, I'd take Mironov or Wesley for the season. Probably no longer.

Old
08-14-2005, 09:15 AM
Fan-of-#9

Where is that MICHAL ROZSIVAL character? He showed flashed a few years ago in Pittsburgh, is he a free agent? I take a chance on him for a mill or so.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:57 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Since I'm not local to the Buffalo area, maybe one of you could do me a little favor?

Please, someone stand outside of Regier's office window with a big ol' sign: KOTALIK FOR LYDMAN. PICK UP THE PHONE.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:33 PM
dannygare

Can somebody explain to me how the Penguins, a team on the verge of nearly going bankrupt can afford to sign LeClair, Palffy, Gonchar, thibault (via trade), and Roy, but the Sabres with billionaire Tom virtually do nothing. Is there a secret transaction planned that us Sabre fans in downstate Ny have not heard about or is simply the Sabres being the Sabres. I know it is tough to ask an owner to use his personal fortune to help the team, but Golisano blew millions on elections he had no chance to win, so why not a couple million a d-man that can help us compete.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannygare
Can somebody explain to me how the Penguins, a team on the verge of nearly going bankrupt can afford to sign LeClair, Palffy, Gonchar, thibault (via trade), and Roy, but the Sabres with billionaire Tom virtually do nothing. Is there a secret transaction planned that us Sabre fans in downstate Ny have not heard about or is simply the Sabres being the Sabres. I know it is tough to ask an owner to use his personal fortune to help the team, but Golisano blew millions on elections he had no chance to win, so why not a couple million a d-man that can help us compete.
Money is one variable. But players do retain some amount of decision-making ability. When Pittsburgh won the Crosby lottery, the franchise was instantly supercharged. You get one good FA signing and the dominos seem to fall into place.

Old
08-16-2005, 12:55 PM
N.Y. Orangeman

Quote:
Easy one. The Pens are trying to get a new arena.

Old
08-16-2005, 02:17 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Amazing how quickly the Pens have leapfrogged so many teams as one of my (now) most-hated. I hope they don't get the arena and move to Hartford. I could almost root for them if they were a reincarnation of The Whale.

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/nhl/free_agent_tracker.html

Looks like Detroit picked up Delmore. Also, looks like Sportsnet is blaming us for Delmore. AFAIK, he was traded to Boston, wasn't he?

Old
08-16-2005, 02:41 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
According to sportsnet, Tomas Malec from ANA is a UFA. Come on Darcy, cut ties with Campbell and Jillson, and use Malec as a 5/6 instead of those guys. I doubt we'd have to put up more than $600-700k to sign Malec.

Then we can trade Pyatt and sign Christoph Brandner for the league minimum to replace him - they're pretty much the same kind of player.

Also, what about Andreas Lilja? Sportsnet says he's still left, and he could pair with Tallinder

Also, we should sign Peter Sarno, Brad Moran, and Karl Goehring to play in ROC.

Old
08-16-2005, 02:44 PM
lecherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Of the D still out there, I'd take Mironov or Wesley for the season. Probably no longer.
Wesley got $1m for 1 year from CAR.

Old
08-16-2005, 02:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Also consider that the Pens had around $20 million to spend just to get to the salary cap floor. Buffalo, with RFA qualifying offers and scheduled increases, had about $4 million to stay below the low-end for the escrow revenue sharing (originally about $28.4 million). The Pens had the money to spend and they

The Pens won the Crosby lottery, which instantly generated season ticket sales and a measure of credibility within the player community. Buffalo... picked 13th. Again. Not much buzz there.

And of course there is the opportunity to play for/with Mario.

Old
08-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Takeo

I see Mogilny signed in Jersey for $3.5M per. Horrid contract. I'm not shedding any tears that we missed out on this one.

I'm still hoping for Selanne although he may command close to $3M given this contract.

Old
08-17-2005, 12:53 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takeo
I see Mogilny signed in Jersey for $3.5M per. Horrid contract. I'm not shedding any tears that we missed out on this one.

I'm still hoping for Selanne although he may command close to $3M given this contract.
That's an insane number for a great player who is most certainly in the twilight of his career. Selanne for 3 wouldn't be awful, but it hinges on a package deal for a d-man. How about Biron & Kotalik to the Rags for Rachunek + pick/Maxim Kondratiev/Thomas Pock? If they wanted Pyatt instead, make it a pick and one of the prospects. Thoughts?

Old
08-17-2005, 01:36 PM
signalIInoise
killed by signal 2

Rachunek is playing in Russia this year -- so the Rags would probably go for that.

Old
08-17-2005, 03:44 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by signaliinoise
Rachunek is playing in Russia this year -- so the Rags would probably go for that.
Drat! How about Poti then? I know we have lots of that type of player, but he's got to be better than Campbell and Jillson at this point, right? I'd prefer a heavy hitter, but that goalie situation is such a mess that anything has got to be better than that headache

Old
08-17-2005, 05:51 PM
lecherous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan
Drat! How about Poti then? I know we have lots of that type of player, but he's got to be better than Campbell and Jillson at this point, right? I'd prefer a heavy hitter, but that goalie situation is such a mess that anything has got to be better than that headache
I don't want to get anywhere near Tom Poti. If you're going to bring in a player like that, give me a guy like Paul Mara instead who at least is decent in his own end and doesn't make fatal mistakes.

Old
08-18-2005, 08:52 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
I don't want to get anywhere near Tom Poti. If you're going to bring in a player like that, give me a guy like Paul Mara instead who at least is decent in his own end and doesn't make fatal mistakes.
Yeah, I don't like Poti either, but I figure that he's better than Campbell and that maybe, paired with McKee, he would be alright. Believe me, I'd love to see Mara here, just like I'd love to see Vanannen or Vishnovski [I think I butchered both spellings, but it should be obvious who I mean], but I think all three would cost too much in terms of trade. I can see any of those teams asking for Noronen, Roy, + a high pick, maybe more. That's just so much, especially considering it doesn't look like the Sabres are making a cup run.

Old
08-27-2005, 11:28 PM
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES

Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Dick Tarnstrom may be on the market soon...

http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com...240/561483.stm

I dunno know though, it has Andy Delmore written all over it for some reason...

Old
08-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
With most of the best, better or even just good UFA's finding new homes and with the Sabres at around their revenue sharing cap figure... it's time to unsticky the beast.

Closed Thread