HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

World Junior Discussion 2013-2014

Closed Thread

Old
12-28-2013, 01:31 PM
Glenn Healy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Nail? How is that a good comparison?

Yeah don't see it either

Old
12-28-2013, 01:32 PM
Glenn Healy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peasy View Post
Lol at everyone ripping on McDavid. Hes 16 playing against 19 year olds. Crosby wasnt completely dominate when he played as a 16 year old in this tournament.
Agreed. Whats with people calling him McDonalds...not even funny

Old
12-28-2013, 01:33 PM
Peasy
All In The Game Yo

vCash: 485
Crosby wasnt even a PPG IIRC when he played in the WJ. Only person that dominated as a 16 year old was Gretzky.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:34 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Mcdavid should be very good player, People really need to ease up on youngest kid on the team. Having him there without Brown is the issue IMO.

But I also have to question why an underage Ekblad needs to be on the team ahead of some notable 19 year olds. Defense is a different story and he's having rough go from what I've seen.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Stephen

The Canadian system has been slowly rotting away after years of success. Aside from other teams getting better all the time, it's like the manufactured by TSN over the years has managed to paralyze the kids sent over to represent Canada the past few tournaments.

Seems like we used to send over Robo Kids over there every year who had ice water in their veins to deal with high pressure situations. Now they crumple up at the first sign of pressure. Jake Patterson's facial expression spelt out loss before the shootout even started.

Canada produces a lot of talent, as evidenced by all the teenage talent squirreled away in the NHL every year, but Team Canada is just doing a terrible job innovating and dealing with international ice as well as team selection and what they're prioritizing.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

On the game

Best player on the ice was Sam Reinhart for me, Terrific poise and vision. If ends up on Buffalo he'll be a pain that's for sure.

Lazar made impression in the 3rd(another prospect in our division).

He didn't seem to get too much ice time, But this Zacha kid on the Czech team could be something. May be the best Czech player in quite some time.

Old
12-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Dark Passenger

Quote:
Crosby wasnt even a PPG IIRC when he played in the WJ. Only person that dominated as a 16 year old was Gretzky.
Lindros dominated at 16

Old
12-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Semantics

Quote:
From what I remember, Crosby didn't get all that much ice time as a 16 year old (certainly less than McDavid has been getting).

Old
12-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
Mcdavid should be very good player, People really need to ease up on youngest kid on the team. Having him there without Brown is the issue IMO.

But I also have to question why an underage Ekblad needs to be on the team ahead of some notable 19 year olds. Defense is a different story and he's having rough go from what I've seen.
This is the first game Ekblad wasn't our best defencemen. I'd take him over Nurse or Finn any day.

Old
12-28-2013, 02:31 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Embarrassing, we shouldn't be losing these games. 5 years ago this would never happen

Old
12-28-2013, 02:32 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashefe View Post
When the average nhler is 6'1 and over 200 pounds, he is.
Something like 30% of the league is under 6'. Johnson's skating will be more detrimental to his NHL aspirations than his size.

Old
12-28-2013, 02:47 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

There are good hockey players everywhere there is hockey played.

There is a reason you don't limit your draft to just one country or continent.

BPA doesn't have a nationality.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
12-28-2013, 02:56 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Passenger View Post
Lindros dominated at 16
True. He was built like a 30 year old at that age already though.

Gretzky
Lindros
Bouwmeester
Spezza
Crosby
McDavid

Pretty good company he's in.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Swervin81
No Honour for Connor

First of all, it's disgraceful how a game in an international tournament as large as the WJC's could end in a ****ing skills competition. Thee's absolutely no excuse for that. At least in the NHL, they remove the skills competition when the games start to matter. Here they don't even bother. Like, what the actual ****?

That being said, the Czechs were the better team today and deserved the win. Canada's WJC selection committee has been run by morons who just don't see the value speed has on European ice the past few years. I just hope our Olympic selection committee is not as bad.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
Because of the hype from TSN and the tradition aspect of it being over the holidays, an otherwise short meaningless tournament places these young kids in positions filled with failure and high expectations. Scouts should just stay at home with their families and watch the games. There are better indicators for scouting.

Not to mention the idiocy of coaching staffs not putting future dynamic NHL players in a position to best succeed. Mackinnon on the 4th line, Monahan? And then there are scrubs that will never be NHL regulars like Camara, JC Lipon, and Della Rovere, among others, who make the team. It honestly shocks me.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Peasy
All In The Game Yo

vCash: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epictetus View Post
Because of the hype from TSN and the tradition aspect of it being over the holidays, an otherwise short meaningless tournament places these young kids in positions filled with failure and high expectations. Scouts should just stay at home with their families and watch the games. There are better indicators for scouting.

Not to mention the idiocy of coaching staffs not putting future dynamic NHL players in a position to best succeed. Mackinnon on the 4th line, Monahan? And then there are scrubs that will never be NHL regulars like Camara, JC Lipon, and Della Rovere, among others, who make the team. It honestly shocks me.
Carter Ashton .

But yeah, playing Mackinnon on the 4th line was just stupid...I feel like he could have done a lot more than the others in the top 6.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
You know a team is messed when they leave off the leading scorer in the freakin OHL. I mean, Sweden is smart enough to include Andreas Johnson but Canada can't use Connor brown? I don't know about hockey Canada...let's think about the players they've left off

Seguin
Duchene
Nugent-Hopkins
Monohan

Old
12-28-2013, 03:26 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
First of all, it's disgraceful how a game in an international tournament as large as the WJC's could end in a ****ing skills competition. Thee's absolutely no excuse for that. At least in the NHL, they remove the skills competition when the games start to matter. Here they don't even bother. Like, what the actual ****?

That being said, the Czechs were the better team today and deserved the win. Canada's WJC selection committee has been run by morons who just don't see the value speed has on European ice the past few years. I just hope our Olympic selection committee is not as bad.
In reality the WJCs are just a TSN media creation that's turned into a Holiday niche event. It's a bush league international tournament that has been blown out of proportion.

Old
12-28-2013, 03:55 PM
rdawg1234

We'll start winning again when the game comes back to north america, I don't think we've actually done well since the tournament in Buffalo a few years ago

Old
12-28-2013, 03:56 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyedea View Post
Nail? How is that a good comparison?
not in terms of play style, in terms of potential, both have high skill and high potential, but they are clearly a step under sid and other world class nhl players in terms of skill/potential. I'm saying that I dont like the crosby comparison at all

Old
12-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Healy View Post
I think McDavid will be better than Taveras

But he is only 16 years old, your guess is as good as mine
I just dont think that he will be an elite producer in the nhl like sid/johnny T, as I said I just dont like the comparison to sid, I dont think that they are in the same potential/skill league

Old
12-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Healy View Post

Yeah don't see it either
in terms of potential, both have high skill and high potential, but i'm just saying that I think there is a clear disconnect between his potential and sid's and I hate that people are calling him the 2nd crosby, I dont see that at all

Old
12-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdawg1234 View Post
We'll start winning again when the game comes back to north america, I don't think we've actually done well since the tournament in Buffalo a few years ago
We were terrible in 2012 and were the host country. 15 gold medals and only 4 as the host country. 3 in the United States, so 7 in NA and 8 on big ice.

Old
12-28-2013, 04:17 PM
Glenn Healy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post
You know a team is messed when they leave off the leading scorer in the freakin OHL. I mean, Sweden is smart enough to include Andreas Johnson but Canada can't use Connor brown? I don't know about hockey Canada...let's think about the players they've left off

Seguin
Duchene
Nugent-Hopkins
Monohan
I would have taken Brown over Gauthier

Gauthier is a pylon out there

Old
12-28-2013, 05:28 PM
thomashefe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Something like 30% of the league is under 6'. Johnson's skating will be more detrimental to his NHL aspirations than his size.
...and players 5'10 and under represent 8.2% of the players to play in the league this year. (> 10 gp) Skating will be an issue no doubt, but the stats show a significant bias towards larger players; if you think size is not his largest issue, then you must also believe that there is an incredibly small chance he becomes an NHL player.

Last edited by thomashefe: 12-28-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Closed Thread