HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign Dane Fox of the Erie Otters (MOD WARNING POST #53)

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPNuck View Post
To be Fair the Leafs have Connor Brown the leading Point scorer in the OHL and I do not hear them going on and on about him. Almost never hear him mentioned actually. I think he has 8 or 9 more points then Fox
Ya but Fox has 23 more goals than Brown.

I'm sure we'd hear all about it if Fox was signed by them.

Plenty of OA get tons of points but as previously stated, very few get as many goals as Fox is getting.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Linden*
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:
To be Fair the Leafs have Connor Brown the leading Point scorer in the OHL and I do not hear them going on and on about him. Almost never hear him mentioned actually. I think he has 8 or 9 more points then Fox
Brown is much more of a top 6 or bust guy, and has his size going against him (think he's like a 160 pounds). Great that he's putting up the numbers he is and is great for the (7th?) round pick he was, but I would still consider him a long shot to carve out an NHL career.

Although I get your point about Leafs fans being surprisingly realistic when it comes to Brown.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:32 PM
Clear Cut

I wonder if people realize that Dane Fox would be from 2012 draft and he is outperforming all first rounders (Gaunce) and second rounders whom are still in the OHL.

In comparison, Fox has played 219 OHL games as opposed to Gaunce whom has played 233 OHL games and Gaunce is a first rounder.

Scott Laughton is playing his overage year as well, he has 207 OHL games under his belt so far, and Dane is obliterating him in stats.

Mitchell Heard, 2nd rounder with Colorado in 2012, has 177 games in the OHL and is now playing in the AHL. I hardly think Fox's 44 games difference of development is major factor in the ridiculous stats that Fox is putting up.

Brock McGinn, 2nd round draft pick in 2012 from CAR, still playing in the OHL and has 202 games under his belt.

Chris Tierney, 2nd round pick from SJ in 2012, has 222 OHL games played.

I can keep going on, Fox's progression is quite amazing thus far and his trajectory is quite rare. If he puts up 70 goals this season, we have an very likely NHL player in a couple years. Think of Fox as a free 1st round/2nd round draft pick player, we should all be ecstatic of obtaining this player.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:36 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Funny thing is, for pro potential, I think Fox (long before we acquired him) always had more pro potential.

Putting the puck in the net is a premium skill....Fox almost has him doubled.

Top 6 or bust vs Top skills with a grinders game

Who cares what Toronto is doing anyways, they probably feel Gauthier is better than Horvat and Tyler Biggs is the next Lucic.

Fox is a good prospect.

edit* Ferrari - This isn't Laughton's overage season, it's his draft +2, Fox's late birthday would have made him AHL eligible if he'd been drafted, but he's a true overager. He would not be eligible for another CHL season, the other's you listed would if their NHL squads deemed them unfit for the AHL, which likely isn't the case.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:40 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
One/two in OHL scoring - third place Nikolay Goldobin of the Sarnia Sting with 68 points - huge differential:

1 Connor Brown Erie Otters 43GP 28G 60A 88Pts
2 Dane Fox Erie Otters 43GP 51G 30A 81Pts

Old
01-13-2014, 04:41 PM
WonderTwinsUnite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post
I wonder if people realize that Dane Fox would be from 2012 draft and he is outperforming all first rounders (Gaunce) and second rounders whom are still in the OHL.

In comparison, Fox has played 219 OHL games as opposed to Gaunce whom has played 233 OHL games and Gaunce is a first rounder.

Scott Laughton is playing his overage year as well, he has 207 OHL games under his belt so far, and Dane is obliterating him in stats.

Mitchell Heard, 2nd rounder with Colorado in 2012, has 177 games in the OHL and is now playing in the AHL. I hardly think Fox's 44 games difference of development is major factor in the ridiculous stats that Fox is putting up.

Brock McGinn, 2nd round draft pick in 2012 from CAR, still playing in the OHL and has 202 games under his belt.

I can keep going on, Fox's progression is quite amazing thus far and his trajectory is quite rare. If he puts up 70 goals this season, we have an very likely NHL player in a couple years. Think of Fox as a free 1st round/2nd round draft pick player, we should all be ecstatic of obtaining this player.
Other than Heard, those are all 94-born players.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:42 PM
BobbyJazzLegs
Sorry 4 Acting Werd

Lol now he's over 50? That's unreal.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJazzLegs View Post
And on pace for 81 goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Tyson Giuriato ‏@TysonGiuriato
#Canucks prospect Dane Fox is on pace for 81 goals in 68 games this season. Only one player has ever scored more then that in the OHL.

YIKES!!!

Great free agent signing by GMMG.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:44 PM
Clear Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
They are six month difference which isn't much. I'm more interested in the games played since that's where you experience and skill counts. Fox is even with all those players.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonderTwinsUnite View Post
Fox was born late in 1993, though.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:45 PM
Intangibos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
And on pace for 81 goals.
Who was the one player?

Nevermind, superstar Ernie Godden according to google

Old
01-13-2014, 04:46 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferarri View Post

And the best thing about Fox - he is not just an offence guy. Gritty, two way play, great on face-offs and feisty. 85 PIMs ties him for 6th in the OHL. 6' and likely to play at around 200 lbs based on his frame.
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/s...n/49/subtype/9

Old
01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZyggZagg View Post
Who was the one player?

Nevermind, superstar Ernie Godden according to google
If you go back a few pages Godden was discussed. Small offence oriented player.

Old
01-13-2014, 04:48 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJazzLegs View Post
51 goals in 43 games.. he's the Wayne Gretzky of the OHL.

As a comparison, his nearest competition is 15 goals back of him.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:27 PM
GPNuck

vCash: 139
Lets face it all these guys are KIDS... Were talking about Fox as an overager and he's just 20. Barely out of his

teenager years.. I think from here it has alot to do with how bad these guys want to make it to the NHL and I

like to think that Fox wants it bad. He might Flop but Its a risk i'm sure all of us are will to take. Imagine how

pissed we would be if he signed in Edmonton?

Old
01-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Wisp

I don't have very high expectations, but I'm a bit cynical to the idea that every serviceable 1st year AHL forward was just an overage year away from a historic OHL season.

Last edited by Wisp: 01-13-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old
01-13-2014, 06:43 PM
Ernie

I wonder if that had anything to do with him choosing Vancouver.

Old
01-13-2014, 06:46 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
Fox Horvat shinkaruk possible future kid line?

Old
01-13-2014, 07:12 PM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
Fox Horvat shinkaruk possible future kid line?
Bo Hunter and Fox - the Field and Stream line.

Old
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
I don't have very high expectations, but I'm a bit cynical to the idea that every serviceable 1st year AHL forward is just an overage year away from an 81 goal OHL season if they'd just be allowed to play it.
I do think Fox's overage status needs a bit of qualification. He'd still be a 2012 draftee so this would be his draft +2 year which most guys play in the CHL anyway. Yeah he'd have been eligible for the AHL because of his October birthday, but it's not like he's almost 21 years old or anything; he was 19 at the start of the season.

Fox's season this year is no different than if Shinkaruk spent next year in the WHL.

Old
01-13-2014, 07:27 PM
Wetcoaster

Feature article at Canucks.com on Dane Fox by Tyson Giuriato - What does Dane Fox say? From soy beans to an NHL contract.

A good release and shot are his strengths offensively, he wants to work on his skating and he patterns his game after Dave Bolland.

BTW it sounds like both Bo Horvat and Brendan Gaunce sold him on signing with the Canucks:
5 – On the ice, Fox describes himself as an all-around player that can bring a bit of everything to the table and accept any role the coach gives him. Watch one of his highlight videos and it becomes pretty clear what his biggest attribute is.

“My release and my shot are absolutely by far my biggest attribute.”

6 – He says his skating is the one thing he really wants to work on to be a productive player at the next level.

“I need to get my skating back up to where it used to be,” he said. “I had a foot injury a couple summers ago that sidelined me for five months. That set my skating back a bit as I couldn’t use my legs that much. I just need to get back into the shape I was in before and work with my power skating coach a bit more.”
9 - He started the season on a line with Connor Brown and youngster Connor McDavid, but since the Otters acquired fellow Canucks prospect Brendan Gaunce in a trade from Belleville, the Otters top line has been Gaunce centering Brown and Fox. This isn’t the first time Gaunce and Fox have been teammates.

“Me and Brendan trained with Gary Roberts before the NHL Combine a few years ago,” said Fox. “We also played on the same team at the 2012 Top Prospects Game.”

Gaunce also let Fox know a bit about the Canucks organization.

“He told me how it’s such an unbelievable organization. Everything from the dressing room, to management to the city, he said everything is top notch.”

Old
01-13-2014, 08:00 PM
Dead Cat Bounce

Dane Fox is likely most comparable to Tyler Toffoli.

Basically the same size with comparable offensive skills if Fox can translate his game to the pros.

Old
01-15-2014, 05:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Here is what Corey Pronman of Hockey Prospectus had to say about Dane Fox in May 2012 just before he exploded offensively this season
Dane Fox, Center, Erie-OHL

Fox had a decent OHL season for a late birthdate draft prospect, as he produced for both teams he lined up for. Offense likely won't be Fox's output to a notable degree in the pro game, though, as looks more like a defensive forward with great agitating qualities and good on-ice intangibles. He's a fine skater who will be able to keep up with the average pro and has a real good engine that churns his legs as he'll cover a lot of ice on any given shift. While his projection seems more like a third line type of player, Fox will show flashes of offensive skill, be it with slightly above-average hands or distribution skill, and I could see if his development goes well him spotting on scoring lines here and there. The rare hustle and heart type of player who his coach has used on the point for the power play and of course he gets PK minutes as well in which he shows his defensive effectiveness. Fox can get a little over the top at times with his agitating, but overall has managed to keep his penalty minutes in check.
http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/puck...articleid=1326

Old
01-15-2014, 05:57 PM
fancouver

Anyone expecting Dane to make the team next year?
canucks could sure use a bolland type player since Lapierre left

Old
01-15-2014, 06:01 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot20 View Post
Anyone expecting Dane to make the team next year?
canucks could sure use a bolland type player since Lapierre left
I would expect him to be in the AHL and learn the pro game and Canucks system.

Closed Thread