HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jagr More Likely to Stay in Russia now? IIHF/NHL Agreement Rejected in SuperLeague

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 10:21 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

vCash: 500
Jagr More Likely to Stay in Russia now? IIHF/NHL Agreement Rejected in SuperLeague

Looks like the IIHF/NHL agreement was rejected in Russia.

Quote:
According to www.hokej.cz:

The GMs of Russian Superleague today unanimously rejected the IIHF/NHL agreement (all of the GMs voted against it). The representatives of Russian Hockey Federation and Russian Superleague will discuss the situation with IIHF president Rene Fasel over the phone later today.
Russia media is reporting it as well.

Now the IIHF can't force Jagr to play in the NHL...(right?)

Old
08-01-2005, 10:23 AM
Levitate

i think it's still a legal issue, even without an IIHF agreement. just like the NHL can't just take players from russian teams who are under contract, jagr can't just go off and play in russia while he's under contract to the rangers. the IIHF agreement is more to smooth the transfer of players

Old
08-01-2005, 10:43 AM
Padawan
Former *********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
i think it's still a legal issue, even without an IIHF agreement. just like the NHL can't just take players from russian teams who are under contract, jagr can't just go off and play in russia while he's under contract to the rangers. the IIHF agreement is more to smooth the transfer of players
Especially as his contract with Omsk was a lock out deal.

I think the russians are fighting with the NHL to be the best ice hockey league in the world and this is just the beginning. I'd put my money on Jagr playing in the NHL.

Old
08-01-2005, 10:48 AM
Levitate

yeah, i think russia is really trying to take advantage of the lockout and new economic system of the NHL. trying to entice players over and hang on to their russian players as best they can. but, correct me if i'm wrong, aren't there only a few teams that can actually afford to pay players millions of dollars?

Old
08-01-2005, 10:51 AM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate
yeah, i think russia is really trying to take advantage of the lockout and new economic system of the NHL. trying to entice players over and hang on to their russian players as best they can. but, correct me if i'm wrong, aren't there only a few teams that can actually afford to pay players millions of dollars?
yeah, how do they generate revenue? I don't envision Luxury boxes or fans paying $200 a seat + an arm and leg for a hot dog and vodka.

Old
08-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Levitate

well Omsk is owned by that billionare guy who throws his money around like it's water. i don't think the team actually generates enough money to cover the losses, but i also don't think he cares...

Old
08-01-2005, 11:17 AM
barrel_master
Amber Heard

Honestly, if some Russian Tycoon is willing to lose millions on players who may not win championships, go ahead. Soon enough they'll be in the same position the NHL was in before.

Closed Thread