HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

isbister lights out???

Closed Thread

Old
10-01-2003, 09:47 AM
jadeddog

vCash: 500
isbister lights out???

ok ive never claimed to be an english major so i have no idea what this term means. it was mentioned in a sun article today. i get the feeling that lights out is a good thing.... but i think it could also be bad, lol... so im not sure. basically i want to know if it means izzy played well or not, thanks.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:49 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog
ok ive never claimed to be an english major so i have no idea what this term means. it was mentioned in a sun article today. i get the feeling that lights out is a good thing.... but i think it could also be bad, lol... so im not sure. basically i want to know if it means izzy played well or not, thanks.
I ask the same thing as well in another thread...Another poster got the impression it was a good thing as well...I'm still not sure...

Old
10-01-2003, 09:54 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

well, he grouped the "Isbister lights out" comment along with praises for Bergeron and Salo so I assume that its a good thing.

Old
10-01-2003, 09:57 AM
jofa

I remember thinking the same thing when I read the article, and figured it meant that he was a non-factor in the game or something. Didn't listen to the game on CHED, so I'm not sure if he was or wasn't much of a player in last night's game.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:04 AM
Hemmer

Agreed.

Given that it was mentioned along with accolades for other players, I would assume it was meant to be a positive expression.

From the sounds of it, he did play reasonably well - but he seems to play a little better when he has Smytty to play with.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:08 AM
goldenchild

Wow I can't believe that's the first time you guys have heard that I think the ESPN News guys use it at least once per segment. Peyton Manning was 'Lights out' on Sunday Night. It is seen as a great performance. Also the nickname of world cruiserwieght champ James Toney, this weekend against Holyfield I am sure 'Light's Out' will be will have a Lights Out performance

As an aside, for any gamblers the Toney odds are pretty good and I think he is way to slick for the older holyfield, Toney in a unanimous dec in what will be one the best fights of the year. Should be Light's Out!

Old
10-01-2003, 10:14 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

ya, lights out is a positive term, i don't agree with it though. it seems negative.

Old
10-01-2003, 10:56 AM
PineJockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
ya, lights out is a positive term, i don't agree with it though. it seems negative.
Definitely positive. As in, "Izzy knocked his lights out."

Old
10-01-2003, 02:19 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

What I got from listening was that Isbister kept getting set up and not scoring, which isn't good-sounding, but who knows how it actually went. Gotta bury the biscuit Brad.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:13 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
from what I herd, and read Izzy was our best player besides Salo last night. I also am shocked that nobody knew lights out was a good thing! I suppose it's more of a baseball term?

Old
10-01-2003, 03:22 PM
shoyen

Send a message via ICQ to shoyen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
What I got from listening was that Isbister kept getting set up and not scoring, which isn't good-sounding, but who knows how it actually went. Gotta bury the biscuit Brad.
From the replays on TSN and sportsnet it looked as if Izzy did all of the work on Salmaleinins goal. He drove to the net HARD and almost pushed cloutier over, and all Tony had to do was come up and chip the puck over a flat cloutier.

Its hard to tell from one play, but I thought it was a very impressive effort from Brad.

Old
10-01-2003, 03:27 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
from what I herd, and read Izzy was our best player besides Salo last night. I also am shocked that nobody knew lights out was a good thing! I suppose it's more of a baseball term?
I understand shooting the lights out... or something of that nature...

Lights out to me sounds like he is out there sleeping (which I have seen Izzy do).

Old
10-01-2003, 04:00 PM
Lowetide

It means a terrific performance, top drawer. For instance the other night Carlos Delgado shot lights out with his 4 homer performance.

Closed Thread