HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sochi Olympics (Faulk: USA, Ruutu: FIN, Sekera: SVK, Semin: RUS)

Closed Thread

Old
01-08-2014, 10:09 AM
golfpro827

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
Cole, I believe, heard some boos after he made the comments on his way out. Certainly didn't get the same reception that Commodore or Sutter received.
As he should have. I'm not getting into the Ray Whitney thing again on here, but he should have as well.

But for the most part, I think all of our players have left the org. with class. If LaRose ever signs anywhere, I'd put him in the boo category.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:15 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Semin being left off this team is no surprise to me. He doesn't fit the nationalist theme they have going with the roster. It seems like a politically driven decision. Semin is one of the few Russian guys who doesn't seem to be chomping at the bit to go back and in years prior his on ice performance has been too much to justify leaving him home. This season has been tough for him but he is still miles and miles ahead of virtually everyone they took from the KHL.

Jack Johnson has lashed out against Team USA and the process. I can't help but get a little giggle out of it probably being Faulk and Fowler pushing him out. Can't play on reputation forever, Captain America.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:28 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

There's also a difference between muted boos once and what happens to Semin every time he still touches the puck in Washington.

Also, keep in mind that this board doesn't resemble the average fan at the PNC. I don't think Whitney and. Larose would get booed.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:28 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro827 View Post
As he should have. I'm not getting into the Ray Whitney thing again on here, but he should have as well.

But for the most part, I think all of our players have left the org. with class. If LaRose ever signs anywhere, I'd put him in the boo category.
It seems the common theme among guys that we should boo are guys that left here for better money via free agency and the guys we should cheer are the guys we traded? There was nothing wrong with Whitney using his NTC that was negotiated into his deal. It doesn't matter how arbitrary the reasoning might be to fans. It was put there to serve the purpose that it did for him. They're not just put in so a player doesn't have to go to Edmonton.

I say cheer everybody who ever played here, played hard, and earned their keep by not being a bad teammate or bad person off the ice. You can boo every Eric Belanger, Darcy Hordichuk, Ian White, Jack Johnson, Frederik Andersen, etc. that your heart desires but why boo players that laid it on the line for us? Makes no sense. LaRose never came up short on hustle and his inconsistent spats of offense tricking coaches into thinking they had more than they did is the only thing preventing people from realizing how much we miss the type of player that he was prior to last season. A guy that could play all over the lineup and didn't look as silly elevated as some of our Drayson Bowmans do now.

Old
01-08-2014, 10:38 AM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpro827 View Post

Couldn't disagree more with both your choices.

Whitney was an amazing player for us for years and didn't do anything that JR didn't give him the option to do. Likewise, LaRose did nothing but work his ass off night in and night out. He was overpaid and often overmatched in the lineup, but that fault lies on the GM and the coach, yeah?

Old
01-08-2014, 10:45 AM
HankClerval
Fifth Line Center

Chad Larose singlehandedly destroyed the Carolina Hurricanes.

Imagine the damage he would have done with both hands.

--hank

Old
01-08-2014, 11:02 AM
golfpro827

Quote:
Couldn't disagree more with both your choices.

Whitney was an amazing player for us for years and didn't do anything that JR didn't give him the option to do. Likewise, LaRose did nothing but work his ass off night in and night out. He was overpaid and often overmatched in the lineup, but that fault lies on the GM and the coach, yeah?
JR offered to trade him to LA and he refused citing he didn't want to move his family outwest and then signs with PHX.

My reference for LaRose was the way he left - basically wouldn't show up to exit interviews, didn't call JR back, etc.

To be honest, I don't think either of these or Cole are terrible situations. Just that if anyone deserves boos for the way they left, it's these three.

Old
01-08-2014, 11:09 AM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

IIRC, he didn't want to move his family in the middle of the school year. He's got a couple kids, though I don't remember their ages.

And LaRose came out shortly after the season ended and said he was just having trouble coming to terms with leaving an organization he had been with since...well, his peewee days, essentially...and missing the playoffs again.

Quote:
“I needed a cool-off period as opposed to going right in and blowing up,” said LaRose. “Nobody was happy we didn’t make the playoffs again. I took some time, cooled off, and then I went and saw everyone, talked to [general manager Jim Rutherford], paid my respects and thanked them for the opportunity with them.”

LaRose, 31, is an unrestricted free agent coming off a disappointing year in which he tallied just two goals and two assists in 35 games.

When asked if he had any issues with the coaching staff, Larose replied: “I had no issues with anybody. It was my own play. I’m accountable for myself. When the team doesn’t do well, I take it upon myself, to be honest with you. I’m accountable for everything. Not having a good season, not making playoffs — that’s on me.”

Old
01-08-2014, 11:14 AM
golfpro827

Ah, never saw / heard about that follow up on LaRose.

My mistake on that one.

Old
01-08-2014, 11:17 AM
ThePsychicSaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by What the Faulk View Post
In his home country? I can't imagine that would be the case. It just seems that this whole deal was motivated beyond what was happening on the ice.

I'm with CMP on this. Kunitz has no business on Team Canada.
What are the chances that it has to do with that RIDICULOUS no call on that auto slash penalty in the dying minutes?

A reaction that was completely just that anyone that CARED would have especially when your captain is out and the team is battling for a win in the last minute.

**** team russia., I hope they don't even medal now with Varly still having a great tourny.

Old
01-08-2014, 11:32 AM
garnetpalmetto

Quote:
IIRC, he didn't want to move his family in the middle of the school year. He's got a couple kids, though I don't remember their ages.

And LaRose came out shortly after the season ended and said he was just having trouble coming to terms with leaving an organization he had been with since...well, his peewee days, essentially...and missing the playoffs again.
It was a combination of that, their being as young as they were (at the time, his children were 6 and 1), and his wife being heavily pregnant with their third that was born about a month after the trade deadline - basically right at the window where she wouldn't be able to fly in the 4-5 weeks prior to term. His wife would basically have to stay in Raleigh and Whitney see her when there were lulls in LA's schedule OR her heavily pregnant self would have had to drive cross-country. Either way I can't blame Whitney for not waiving his NTC.

01-08-2014, 11:44 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Regardless of rationale, it was put there by Whitney and his agent for a reason. It was there for him to utilize if the circumstances dictated. He used it. End of discussion. The player we were most likely to get in Teubert turned out to be something of a bust anyways. Water under the bridge.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:02 PM
garnetpalmetto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
Regardless of rationale, it was put there by Whitney and his agent for a reason. It was there for him to utilize if the circumstances dictated. He used it. End of discussion. The player we were most likely to get in Teubert turned out to be something of a bust anyways. Water under the bridge.
Undoubtedly so, but at the time and even now, some saw what Whitney as some mustache-twirling villain whose selfishness didn't allow his team an opportunity to better itself from his departure, especially given his subsequent UFA signing in Phoenix. I was merely pointing out that if you look at it from the point of view of a father of two young kids with another on the way, the refusal to waive the NTC made a good bit of sense.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:03 PM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

But back to the Olympics, I thought it was cool to read in the paper today that Skinner did receive a call from Team Canada, if only to tell him they're passing on him for this Olympics and to keep up the good work. Shows that he was, at least, in consideration and has a real shot for 2018 if he keeps it up.

And for all the flak Team US got for the Burnside article, it still gave some insight and reasoning behind their selection process. Would have been nice to have that for Team Canada as well

Old
01-08-2014, 12:05 PM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePsychicSaw View Post
What are the chances that it has to do with that RIDICULOUS no call on that auto slash penalty in the dying minutes?

A reaction that was completely just that anyone that CARED would have especially when your captain is out and the team is battling for a win in the last minute.

**** team russia., I hope they don't even medal now with Varly still having a great tourny.
Supposedly that was the game when he was being watched too. That would be a LOT to weigh so heavily on, though. I missed that game, so I'm not sure how warranted it was, but even if it was irrational, to not take him based on that is still ridiculous.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
And for all the flak Team US got for the Burnside article, it still gave some insight and reasoning behind their selection process. Would have been nice to have that for Team Canada as well
I really don't think Hockey Canada is that dumb. The information about the selection process getting out has been a REALLY bad thing from a PR standpoint for the Americans. Most of the guys that weren't picked but were discussed are quite upset at how their games were torn apart and how they were dismissed. Especially the whole Bobby Ryan situation and now Jack Johnson. Those are two guys that the Americans aren't going to be happy about if they've alienated them.

I think that for the sake of the decision makers and players alike, it's better if they keep the process as in house as possible until the teams are announced. If they're asked direct questions about X player over Y player, then answer it within the best of your abilities.... but those quotes getting out about players is pretty bad news.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:10 PM
RodTheBawd

This is the first selection process I've followed closely, is it common for teams to come out and explain their rationale for picks? Mostly asking in regards to the Russians with Semin (also TC and MSL), and whether or not we'll ever get an answer.

Old
01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant View Post
I really don't think Hockey Canada is that dumb. The information about the selection process getting out has been a REALLY bad thing from a PR standpoint for the Americans. Most of the guys that weren't picked but were discussed are quite upset at how their games were torn apart and how they were dismissed. Especially the whole Bobby Ryan situation and now Jack Johnson. Those are two guys that the Americans aren't going to be happy about if they've alienated them.

I think that for the sake of the decision makers and players alike, it's better if they keep the process as in house as possible until the teams are announced. If they're asked direct questions about X player over Y player, then answer it within the best of your abilities.... but those quotes getting out about players is pretty bad news.
Well, a more censored version of the Burnside article, of course. Burke and co. believed they were going to get some editorial control over what would and wouldn't be printed, something that obviously never came to pass.

Do a similar article for TC, but give TC a chance to look it over before print and make arguments over what should be in the article and what shouldn't.

Of course, with the bad press the Burnside article is getting, it's not likely that any team will give that sort of access again, which is too bad, because if done correctly, it'd be a great way to connect to the fans

Old
01-08-2014, 03:43 PM
carolinacanuck

sorry if this has been posted already...

Eric Staal on being left off the Team Canada roster:

“I really felt I’d get an opportunity to defend the gold medal, but unfortunately it was not to be,” Staal said by phone from Raleigh. “They went with other choices.

“Does it feel good to get left off the team? No. Am I good enough to be on the team? Yes. I feel I’ve proven that. Do I think they made a mistake in not taking me? I hope to prove that.”

“Like our team, it’s been a bit of an up-and-down year for myself,” Staal said. “Coming off (the injury), I did not have the start I wanted, and it took a little while to get back to my style of game and play like I normally do.

“Some of the players chosen, in my opinion, I’m a better player than, but I needed to do a better job in the first half of the season. They went a different way. That’s life. We’ll move forward, with all our focus on us getting back in the playoffs.”

And Jeff Skinner who was considered a bit of a long shot said he received a call from a Canadian Olympic official an hour before the selections were announced.

“They said, ‘We won’t be naming you to the team, thanks for your hard work and keep up the good work,’ ” Skinner said. “That’s a pretty classy move, I think.

“Obviously, they have a great team with the guys they picked. Obviously there’s a ton of guys off it that would have made a great team.”

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/01/...#storylink=cpy

Old
01-09-2014, 06:26 PM
ugrimugri*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keduzin View Post
Finland may suck but they simply cannot afford to leave Ruutu outside the team if they want to medal. He has represented Finland 10 times and won a medal every single time !!!

Good Luck Charm if nothing else... besides he´s got great chemistry with Koivu Jr !

The proven chemistry with M Koivu and the fact that whenever T Ruutu is called to represent Finland they always medal - just cannot leave him out.

Since many Carolina fans obviously think that a soft semin is really worth loads more than Ruutu, just trade Tuomo to Minnesota or Pittsburgh, I think he would be happy to waive his NTC for this kind of move. Minnesota surely would take him, especially if the Canes will be retaining some of his salary too (like that Jussi Jokinen trade to Pitts)

Good luck with Lindholm too, he has in a short timespan already shown tendencies that he could probably be more injury prone than your current whipping boy Ruutu...

Last edited by ugrimugri*: 01-09-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old
01-09-2014, 06:52 PM
Blueline Bomber
From the Blueline

Sounds like someone's allowing their national pride to generate unnecessary amounts of ********.

Old
01-09-2014, 06:57 PM
ugrimugri*

Quote:
Sounds like someone's allowing their national pride to generate unnecessary amounts of ********.
National pride? I'm not Finnish - but I do like Ruutu, he will bounce back and has at least a couple of good years still in him

Old
01-09-2014, 07:02 PM
halleJOKEL
strong as brickwall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrimugri View Post
National pride? I'm not Finnish - but I do like Ruutu, he will bounce back and has at least a couple of good years still in him
at least he looked better than gleason

Old
01-13-2014, 02:10 PM
The Faulker 27

Interesting.... http://www.reddit.com/tb/1v3zi3

Old
01-13-2014, 02:14 PM
The Faulker 27

Here's the picture and message from Reddit for all you non-link clickers.

Eric Staal on the Cheerios box for the Olympics, even though he didn't make team Canada...

Closed Thread