HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gary and Joe sign in FLA

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Verbal Kint*

vCash: 500
Anybody who is saying that JFJ should have offered anywhere above $1.5 Million should think this one through. Firstly were have a bunch of holes in our roster to fill, and bringing in two near 40 players for almost $5 million would not be smart. Also they wanted two year deals which ties JFJ down as the Leafs try to get younger. When you look at the salaries which are going to be offered to free agents this summer, the fact that Gary and Joe got $2.25 Mil is kind of rediculous, and is moreso an indicator in my mind of Florida's cap room than the actual worth of the two. Lets face it, anyone who watched Roberts in the post-season last year should know full well that his body, depite all of his conditioning, isn't able to withstand a full season with maximum output and Nieuwendyk, whilst still a great player, has a wonky back and knee and at 39 is a bit of a gamble to rely on. If the Leafs take such a gamble, I want the potential outcome to be higher and the players to be younger (see Allison/Lindros).

By no means is this not a blow to the Leafs. Heck, just the fact that the two are no longer around to mentor young players like Stajan hurts, but in a salary cap world, JFJ made the right choice to say no to two 39 year olds, who would've taken up $4.5 million over two years.

Old
08-01-2005, 03:54 PM
RLC

Toronto - 50 goals per year on the first day of UFA's.
Oneil might get you 20-25 back but it's a net loss.
and it aint over yet.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:00 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
Toronto - 50 goals per year on the first day of UFA's.
Oneil might get you 20-25 back but it's a net loss.
and it aint over yet.
I'd say this is borderline trolling at this point as we haven't even gone out and signed anybody. Many clubs all across the NHL are going to be losing many top quality players and I'm sure Toronto will be picking some up to make up for lost scoring.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:04 PM
PantherboyHTR
An Old School Cat

As a Panther fan I am glad these two can join the team I cheer for. I watch a lot of Leafs games (living in Leaf Land, when you go out to the bars with the boys, thats whats on the TV's) so I have gotten to know these players probably as good as you folk. Niewy is a great competitor and leader who I respect as a player. Roberts was probably my fav Leaf, and I was really hoping for the Panthers to sign him. I for sure though thought he would stay in T.O. when the Leafs traded for O'Neil. Aren't those two really good friends??

Anyways, I am glad to have these two respected athletes as members as the Florida Panthers now.

BTW, do the Leafs still own the rights to Fitzgarled? He was my fav. Panther from back in the early cup run years, along with Jovo.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Verbal Kint*

Also anyone who's saying that there isn't anyone who's in our price range that can't make up for their scoring is being a bit irrational. Florida made these signings to brintg in two great, bonafide mentors for their young players, scoring is a secondary issue.

Give me a half hour or so and I'll throw out my list of who JFJ should be looking towards. Frankly, I think some are being a bit too loyal to former players and shouldn't have been nearly as confident that Gary and Joe would be willing to return.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
wasting time

$1.5 on a 1 year deal is what they are worth to Toronto. They are obviously worth more to Florida. JFJ got lucky with O'Neill but you can't take anything away from him in closing the deal.

And Domi asking for a rumored $2 million for 2 years? What a moron. JFJ is dead on saying that Domi is worth $850,000 for 1 year to the Leafs. I would argue that with Belak and Perrott, Domi is not even worth that much anymore. Bye Tie.

Steve Simmons really laid into JFJ on the weekend saying that other GM's are snickering at him behind his back. I am not sure why. In the Gonchar/Leetch swepstakes we got the better perfomer for what was needed. If he had not have closed that deal; JFJ would have been roasted. He landed O'Neill and did the right thing on Roberts, Neiwy and soon to be Domi. Then, they land Rask who they wanted all along anyway. I think JFJ is doing just fine.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR
As a Panther fan I am glad these two can join the team I cheer for. I watch a lot of Leafs games (living in Leaf Land, when you go out to the bars with the boys, thats whats on the TV's) so I have gotten to know these players probably as good as you folk. Niewy is a great competitor and leader who I respect as a player. Roberts was probably my fav Leaf, and I was really hoping for the Panthers to sign him. I for sure though thought he would stay in T.O. when the Leafs traded for O'Neil. Aren't those two really good friends??

Anyways, I am glad to have these two respected athletes as members as the Florida Panthers now.

BTW, do the Leafs still own the rights to Fitzgarled? He was my fav. Panther from back in the early cup run years, along with Jovo.
Fitzgerald signed with the Bruins last off-season. Also, cheers and congrats to you and fellow Panthers fans. I may not agree with the price tag but Roberts and Nieuwendyk should prove to be both serviceable players and great teachers for Florida.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasting time
$1.5 on a 1 year deal is what they are worth to Toronto. They are obviously worth more to Florida. JFJ got lucky with O'Neill but you can't take anything away from him in closing the deal.

And Domi asking for a rumored $2 million for 2 years? What a moron. JFJ is dead on saying that Domi is worth $850,000 for 1 year to the Leafs. I would argue that with Belak and Perrott, Domi is not even worth that much anymore. Bye Tie.

Steve Simmons really laid into JFJ on the weekend saying that other GM's are snickering at him behind his back. I am not sure why. In the Gonchar/Leetch swepstakes we got the better perfomer for what was needed. If he had not have closed that deal; JFJ would have been roasted. He landed O'Neill and did the right thing on Roberts, Neiwy and soon to be Domi. Then, they land Rask who they wanted all along anyway. I think JFJ is doing just fine.
Good to see you back and I agree wholeheartedly, though honestly Simmons is a complete hack and has little more value that a good chuckle.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Frankie

lots of leadership gone there. in fact, you might say the heart of the team.

o'neill can score as many goals as roberts, but in no way can he come close to the leadership gary gave the leafs. there will now be a massive void in the dressing room.

but that's not something us fans can actually see, it isn't a tangible thing, so we ignore it.

did jfj pass on roberts and nieuwendyk, or did they pass on jfj?

Old
08-01-2005, 04:19 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
did jfj pass on roberts and nieuwendyk, or did they pass on jfj?
They passed on each other. JFJ wasn't willing to spend $9 Million over two years, Joe and Gary were'nt willing to each be paid $1.5 Million for one year.

Honestly, you're schtick is kind of old.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:23 PM
mooseOAK*

Florida has the cap room for these types of players , the Leafs don't.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Frankie

Quote:
They passed on each other. JFJ wasn't willing to spend $9 Million over two years, Joe and Gary were'nt willing to each be paid $1.5 Million for one year.
how do you know that? could have been one or the other. maybe jfj just doesn't want those guys on his team. or maybe they just didn't want to be part of jfj's team. you have no idea.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:49 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

And I was going to buya Roberts Jersey this year.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:50 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
how do you know that? could have been one or the other. maybe jfj just doesn't want those guys on his team. or maybe they just didn't want to be part of jfj's team. you have no idea.
I go with what the reports have been saying. As usual however you turn a convenient blind eye to the news when it supports an anti-leaf point of view. In fact I know with absolute certainty that had JFJ signed them for $2.25 Million each you would be talking about how it was a waste of cap space and how Toronto isn't getting any younger.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiedaeagle20
There's a reason I avoid name jersey's outside of major names like Sundin.

Old
08-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Salag

Good news. Gets the leafs yonger and frees up some space.

Old
08-01-2005, 05:09 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Then why would they sign 1 year extensions prior to the lockout?

Old
08-01-2005, 05:14 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

More to the Roberts Newy story from Sportsnet ..

Apparently once Florida gave the offer to Roberts ..Fergy upped the Roberts offer to 2 years and 2 mil a piece but the catch was that newy would have to take 1 mil instead of 1.5 mil offered ..

SO their agent said not deal ..

Fergy was given one last chance to keep the pair and Fergy upped Newy to 1 year $1.75 mil and Roberts for $2.0 mil per for 2 years .. But the time fergy came back with the offer the Dynamic duel had said too late to Fergy and that they were taking the Florida offer instead ..

Old
08-01-2005, 05:19 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

that's just freakin' great, it's not even a half day through and they give up on the Leafs offers already. Holy crap, they sure weren't that stuck on staying in Toronto that long.

Old
08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
More to the Roberts Newy story from Sportsnet ..

Apparently once Florida gave the offer to Roberts ..Fergy upped the Roberts offer to 2 years and 2 mil a piece but the catch was that newy would have to take 1 mil instead of 1.5 mil offered ..

SO their agent said not deal ..

Fergy was given one last chance to keep the pair and Fergy upped Newy to 1 year $1.75 mil and Roberts for $2.0 mil per for 2 years .. But the time fergy came back with the offer the Dynamic duel had said too late to Fergy and that they were taking the Florida offer instead ..
So essentially he originally was willing to spend 3 million max between the two, and bumped that up to 3.75 at the end. Im glad he didnt go any higher than that.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:21 PM
Raging Bull

Quote:
At least you don't own a Nolan jersey. :-(

Old
08-01-2005, 06:28 PM
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogilny8989
At least you don't own a Nolan jersey. :-(
I'm gonna buy a new one still, but I'm not sure who now, and I've already got tucker and belfour. Maybe a home grown boy like Stajan or Colaiacovo. The Coliaicovo one could be expensive though, lol.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Raging Bull

I think I'm leaning towards a Stajan jersey this year. Safe bet he ain't going anywhere, and I have a feeling about him this season......

Old
08-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Poikilitic

i own a Nieuwendyk jersey. Actually i own all the Nieuwendyk jersey's except for Team Canada. lol Anyone know where i can buy a Florida Nieuwendyk jersey?

Old
08-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
I have a Nieuwendyk Jersey, I'll still wear it proudly around town.

my next Target is likely O'Niell, or Tucker.

Wild cards are Stajan and Colaiacovo(good thing they don't charge by the letter)

Closed Thread