HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Roberts, Nieuwendyk sign in Florida

Closed Thread

Old
08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Artyukhin*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtG
Is that you Pierre?

wammmooo

Old
08-01-2005, 06:07 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan33
good move for the Leafs, they need to get a little bit younger
Actually, seeing Gary Roberts go is a terrible deal for the Leafs. This is a great move by the Panthers, pending further moves by Keenan and that he doesn't tear apart hte young core of the team. He just acquired one great leader and character guy and one of the game's proven winners.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
Actually, with the room they got for free agents, they could have a very good team. They are one of the only team to have room for Naslund and Forsberg. Assuming they can get Pronger (or a high profile ufa dman), they could pack good punch on offense while counting on a Pronger, Van Ryn, Bouwmeester top 3 on defense.
Dont forget Sean Hill

Old
08-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
They would have taken a lot less though to stay in Toronto.....
And why did they not do so??????????????????

Old
08-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I hope this doesn't screw up the marketplace for a lot of the other teams.
Good point, but I'm afraid it will influence the market, at least until the next signings will be announced. Btw, Robitaille, who has the same age and put up better number than these two during the 2003-04 campaign, accepted a 1.2M (+ incentives) deal.

Keenan clearly overpaid.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:24 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster
And why did they not do so??????????????????
I have no source just a gut feeling but I think the key factor was the legnth of the contract not the money.

I don't know though.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:33 PM
Sabres75

Bad move at a bad time

If they can stay healthy enough to help the Panthers, it will be great.

Much better to sign Aucoin to help out the young kids then to sign these two ol' war horses in my opinion.

Makes no sense, but Mike will soon learn that you make a mistake like this and it keeps hurting you over the next 2 years. Gone are the days of paying old guys like these two when you can spend money on younger more effective players.

Old
08-01-2005, 06:38 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

huselius jokinen roberts
kolnik nieuwendyk horton
hagman weiss shvioki

van ryn boumeister
mezei hill

luongo

whats next on keenan's mind ?

foote and murray ?

Old
08-01-2005, 06:39 PM
turnbuckle*

Kypreos says that Ferguson offered Roberts $2M per and Niewy $1M per. Roberts didn't like the idea of taking twice as much as his buddy and turned it down. By the time the Leafs came back with an offer of $1.75M for Joe, Roberts told Fergy that they'd moved on.

I can't be too speculative, but sounds like the Leafs botched that one to a certain extent. Not very smart to try to lowball one guy to keep the other when they're good friends, not real classy either.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the Leafs may slip into mediocrity this season?

Old
08-01-2005, 06:43 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

the leafs have 10-12 million to spend

so they can add 4-5 quality free agents with that

Old
08-01-2005, 07:01 PM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Not very smart to try to lowball one guy to keep the other when they're good friends, not real classy either.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the Leafs may slip into mediocrity this season?
Roberts had been with the organization longer. He was more valuable based on his tenure and performance with the Leafs, why wouldn't he get more? Joe was only with the club for one year and although played well when healthy, couldn't have expected to get more than Roberts (who is a playoff MONSTER!!!)

Sorry to see them go, but I am looking forward to some fresh faces..

Old
08-01-2005, 07:05 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f.
the leafs have 10-12 million to spend

so they can add 4-5 quality free agents with that

what «quality» UFA that would sign for 2M $ ?

Old
08-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Platapie

Quote:
It's certainly possible, but hard to ascertain until we see the final roster. Personally, I think we may be able to salvage a decent year assuming Belfour is ok, but next year, if we can't find a solid replacement for Eddie, our team is in for a world of hurt. Oh, and if Eddie stinks it up this year we're so done it's not even funny.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:17 PM
OilKiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXe
what «quality» UFA that would sign for 2M $ ?
Roberts, Nieuwendyk

Old
08-01-2005, 07:26 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
It's certainly possible, but hard to ascertain until we see the final roster. Personally, I think we may be able to salvage a decent year assuming Belfour is ok, but next year, if we can't find a solid replacement for Eddie, our team is in for a world of hurt. Oh, and if Eddie stinks it up this year we're so done it's not even funny.
Yeah; I guess a lot depends on Belfour. Is Tellqvist gonna back him up?

I assume the Leafs are going to be able to sign Lindros pretty cheaply, and probably will. I guess if he shows any flickers of his former self and O'Neill regains his scoring touch the team can contend for a playoff spot, assuming they sign some more help up front and on the blueline. Is Steen coming over this season?

Old
08-01-2005, 07:31 PM
NV

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump
Roberts had been with the organization longer. He was more valuable based on his tenure and performance with the Leafs, why wouldn't he get more? Joe was only with the club for one year and although played well when healthy, couldn't have expected to get more than Roberts (who is a playoff MONSTER!!!)

Sorry to see them go, but I am looking forward to some fresh faces..
I get the impression that the Leafs were really only interested in bringing Roberts back. These reported offers don't do anything to change my opinion on that. If he and Nieuwendyk weren't a package deal, Roberts would still be a Leaf.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:35 PM
Scoogs

Send a message via MSN to Scoogs
I'm looking for a big UFA Goaltender signing next summer.

Belfour will give us one more strong year. Next year is a team option, no?

This season will be a tough one for Leaf fans, I think.

Old
08-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Heimy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle
Good signings for the Panthers. Yes they aren't getting younger, but they keep themselves in great shape, especially Roberts. No they won't score a point per game, but there is so much more that they bring to the table - sound defence, intelligence, hard work, leadership on and off the ice. Florida has some good young forwards in Weiss, Horton, Stewart, Olesz, McArdle.....having two veterans with their track records rub off on those guys will do them nothing but good.

Did they overpay? Perhaps, but Florida was a team with lots of cap room - why not sign a pair of veterans with superb leadership qualities for such a youing team? Who knows - if they somehow manage to obtain a Pronger and another solid forward, they may challenge for a playoff position over the next two seasons and even win a round or two. Let's not forget that Luongo is one of the game's best goalies - Pronger and Bouwmeester playing 40 minutes a game....if that were to happen (playoffs) Florida will more than make their money back from signing them
Good take from you turnbuckle...and while I've got you, I also appreciate your draft posts over the years. Great stuff!

Old
08-01-2005, 08:14 PM
CanadianPantherFan

You Leafs fans crack me up...

haha .I;m a Panther Fan from Calgary so I know what I'm talking about.We play hockey out here in the West if you did not know but that's a longgg story for another day...

You Leafs fans saying thx for taking them off our hands.Did we trade for them??? Did you get something in return?

Next...

You overpaided for them.Maybe slightly but could you afford to keep them?No.Who outbid you ? Panthers(us) Will that continue to happen to teams like the Leafs? Yes

Would you Leaf fans love these boys if they were still yours? yes. Would you have a hr. feature on them on Tsn ,Sportsnet and Score if they were returning to help your billion yr. Cup Fantasy? Yes.

So think before you speak.No that does not go for ALL Leafs fan but most of you

Old
08-01-2005, 08:22 PM
mikefavata
A.I.M.

As long as Keenan's got more key signings ahead & most of the core isn't traded... I think he's doing a-ok.

Welcome to Florida!

Old
08-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan
haha .I;m a Panther Fan from Calgary so I know what I'm talking about.We play hockey out here in the West if you did not know but that's a longgg story for another day...

You Leafs fans saying thx for taking them off our hands.Did we trade for them??? Did you get something in return?

Next...

You overpaided for them.Maybe slightly but could you afford to keep them?No.Who outbid you ? Panthers(us) Will that continue to happen to teams like the Leafs? Yes

Would you Leaf fans love these boys if they were still yours? yes. Would you have a hr. feature on them on Tsn ,Sportsnet and Score if they were returning to help your billion yr. Cup Fantasy? Yes.

Useless post. Keep it to hockey, there's enough senseless Leaf-fan-bashing around here.

Old
08-01-2005, 08:25 PM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Quote:

Next...

In English?

Old
08-01-2005, 08:28 PM
clefty
What?

Quote:

Next...

You shot who in the whatnow?

Old
08-01-2005, 08:31 PM
Kill 'Em All

Quote:

Next...

i hope you're gonna be just as excited about these two when one or both of em have a goin pull (roberts' nemesis), or a bad back (Nieuwendyk's fave injury) and have to miss 5-10-20 games.

and let's get something straight here, the majority of leaf fans did no want to see these guys back. at least not for the $2.25 mil per 2 years that they got from florida. not because we couldn't afford them, but because they're simply not worth that much cap space.

again, many thanks to keenan for over-paying for joe & gary, and taking them off the market (and our hands).

Old
08-01-2005, 08:31 PM
CanadianPantherFan

In other words...

You Leafssssss fans do not want to hear the truth.What's new! It does relate to hockey(business as well).We outbid you monsters and will continue to happen to you.Keep smokin the pipe' boys for as many yrs. as you can

Closed Thread